The Unpopular Opinion thread. Post yours here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Moyes threads on here that keep rambling on are pathetic. Just let it go people. What makes it even more cringeworthy is its the same people every time there is a new Moyes thread repeating the same tired shite all over again.
Stop being such sad pathetic whiney bitches.

Zlatan walks into every side in the world apart from Barca.

I will probably be lambasted for the following two opinions but here goes...

I think Paul Scholes is overrated by a lot of football fans. Not just United fans tbf because I've heards ABU fans rate him very very highly. There was a massive surge in people claiming him as the best thing ever when he retired, and a few greats praised him which led to an impressive compilation of quotes. Imho I think there is a good argument that Gerrard and Lampard, especially the former, are better all round footballers. Don't get me wrong Scholes was an amazing midfielder, one of the best ever in the Prem. I do however think many peoples views on him are slightly distorted by the pros which highly rate him.

In theory can't really disagreed with your point about but then you'll have to apply that same logic to Iniesta and Xavi, which if you do fair enough. For the record, I'm of the believer that those players are equals.

The Moyes threads on here that keep rambling on are pathetic. Just let it go people. What makes it even more cringeworthy is its the same people every time there is a new Moyes thread repeating the same tired shite all over again.
I supported him at the time and felt sorry for him afterwards but looking back now, the man was completely out of his depth and almost destroyed our club. We're only getting back on track now, since his appointment.

If we had have went with Jose instead of him, back then, I think we'd have won a league title or two by now.

I guess a factor here is that everytime Moyes is asked questions about us, he makes it a point to defend himself. He goes on to blame the lack of time and other factors as the reason he did not succeed. That definitely riles me up as well. Not to the point of always going to the Moyes thread to vent but I can see why others feel the need to.

Lallana is a fantastic midfielder, one of the very best in the Premier League. He's got three sets of lungs, good ball control, vision, and passing ability. Now he's added goals and assists to his game as well. Klopp has turned him into a monster.

Last edited:
I guess a factor here is that everytime Moyes is asked questions about us, he makes it a point to defend himself. He goes on to blame the lack of time and other factors as the reason he did not succeed. That definitely riles me up as well. Not to the point of always going to the Moyes thread to vent but I can see why others feel the need to.
And the various newspapers etc all know that you lot will react, its like clickbait.
Two wrongs dont make a right so why keep feeding them? Its moronic how it just keeps going, the same people repeating the same things they did last time.
Its really pathetic how people are so easily sucked into this one. He is gone, let it go, move on.

And the various newspapers etc all know that you lot will react, its like clickbait.
Two wrongs dont make a right so why keep feeding them? Its moronic how it just keeps going, the same people repeating the same things they did last time.
Its really pathetic how people are so easily sucked into this one. He is gone, let it go, move on.
There you have the solution to all humanities problems :) To just not give a damn, but it is an extremely difficult thing to do as we are human beings. We enjoy a sense of fairness and when Moyes rants we feel that he is being unfair and hence we use the forum as an outlet for our frustration.

I agree with you that it is annoying beyond a point, but maybe you should just ignore that thread?

There you have the solution to all humanities problems :) To just not give a damn, but it is an extremely difficult thing to do as we are human beings. We enjoy a sense of fairness and when Moyes rants we feel that he is being unfair and hence we use the forum as an outlet for our frustration.

I agree with you that it is annoying beyond a point, but maybe you should just ignore that thread?
Isnt this a thread for unpopular opinions? Was just spouting mine. However it does serve a useful purpose, it lets me know who the muppets are.

Lallana is a fantastic midfielder, one of the very best in the Premier League. He's got three sets of lungs, good ball control, vision, and passing ability. Now he's added goals and assists to his game as well. Klopp has turned him into a monster.

I think the goals will dry up but agree with the rest. Like Dembele he's always been an attacker whose finishing is his big weakness, so dropping deeper makes sense. I wonder if Chamakh could have been a fine CM, with the same reasoning applying. Any other awful finishers with good all around games on the wing or up front come to mind?

Vieira = Keane = Gerrard

Can't really choose between them. All of them, huge leaders and great players. It just happens that Keane had Fergie on his side. And some of the most consistent top-class midfielders ever around him.

Remember, we are on the unpopular opinion thread.
Gerrard is nowhere close to Keane or Viera. His best season came as a #10 while Keane and Viera dominated the entire midfield.

Gerrard is nowhere close to Keane or Viera. His best season came as a #10 while Keane and Viera dominated the entire midfield.
That proves Gerrard was different to Keane and Vieira (played higher up the pitch, better going forward, not as good defensively), but I'm not sure if it necessarily proves that Gerrard was an "inferior" player to Keane/Vieira overall.

Gerrard should be compared to Scholes (pre-2003), Lampard, or Kaka.

Keane and Vieira should be compared to Davids or Redondo.

That proves Gerrard was different to Keane and Vieira (played higher up the pitch, better going forward, not as good defensively), but I'm not sure if it necessarily proves that Gerrard was an "inferior" player to Keane/Vieira overall.

Gerrard should be compared to Scholes (pre-2003), Lampard, or Kaka.

Keane and Vieira should be compared to Davids or Redondo.
Gerrard still falls quite a bit short of those names. Lampard outscored Gerrard comfortably and Scholes pre-2003 also was very prolific. In no way was Gerrard as good as Scholes.

Gerrard still falls quite a bit short of those names. Lampard outscored Gerrard comfortably and Scholes pre-2003 also was very prolific. In no way was Gerrard as good as Scholes.
Fair enough. I actually agree that out of the four I mentioned, I rate Gerrard the lowest (although it's close).

Zlatan walks into every side in the world apart from Barca.
Don't think that applies to the PL, let alone the world. First choice XI at City and Chelsea where they already have top strikers? Does Klopp disrupt a free scoring and devastating forward line to accommodate a talented individual who probably doesn't suit what he wants?

I think the goals will dry up but agree with the rest. Like Dembele he's always been an attacker whose finishing is his big weakness, so dropping deeper makes sense. I wonder if Chamakh could have been a fine CM, with the same reasoning applying. Any other awful finishers with good all around games on the wing or up front come to mind?
Although I wouldn't exactly call him an "awful finishers", Zidane did not have a lot of goals for an attacking midfielder. He had 31 goals in 209 appearances with Juventus, which is actually rather low. However, his overall game was obviously incredible and it cannot be measured in stats alone.

I would rather Chelsea beat us in the league so that they could go on to win the league rather than drop points and potentially be overtaken by Liverpool.

If it helps I feel sick and believe that I should never be promoted to the mains for such heresy...

I would rather Chelsea beat us in the league so that they could go on to win the league rather than drop points and potentially be overtaken by Liverpool.

Completely agree, if Liverpool are still in the race when we meet Chelsea I'd be more than happy for us to roll over for them just like how Liverpool have done on us.

Although I wouldn't exactly call him an "awful finishers", Zidane did not have a lot of goals for an attacking midfielder. He had 31 goals in 209 appearances with Juventus, which is actually rather low. However, his overall game was obviously incredible and it cannot be measured in stats alone.

I do actually think that matters when discussing Zizou in the pantheon of all time greats, but it's tough to argue he would have had a better career if he got the Pirlo move from 10 to 6, or even as an 8.

Don't think that applies to the PL, let alone the world. First choice XI at City and Chelsea where they already have top strikers? Does Klopp disrupt a free scoring and devastating forward line to accommodate a talented individual who probably doesn't suit what he wants?

City and Chelsea he'd fight with Costa and Aguero based on form or maybe lose out and take all the other 9 minutes. Maybe platoon with Aguero based on matchups since Pep likes to tinker and you could play Aguero against slow CBs or teams that press up and Zlatan against park the bus teams?

Ibra has pressed better than I'd have guessed and Klopp could just haul him off after 60 and telling him to press for the whole time, so I think he'd be the 9 there unless he wouldn't cooperate, but he seems more mellow than in his youth.

City and Chelsea he'd fight with Costa and Aguero based on form or maybe lose out and take all the other 9 minutes. Maybe platoon with Aguero based on matchups since Pep likes to tinker and you could play Aguero against slow CBs or teams that press up and Zlatan against park the bus teams?

Ibra has pressed better than I'd have guessed and Klopp could just haul him off after 60 and telling him to press for the whole time, so I think he'd be the 9 there unless he wouldn't cooperate, but he seems more mellow than in his youth.
I can see that logic but it doesn't necessarily sit well with Klopp's style. Sturridge has scored bundles of goals for Liverpool yet he preferences a non-striker to lead the attack. You could reasonably say that Zlatan is better than Sturrudge but the principle still holds out. If you get to 45 goals in 18 games primarily without using a number 9 then I'm not sure Zlatan would necessarily improve the goal return. It's almost as if Klopp avoids that focal point as he possibly believes it takes away from the team's effectiveness going forward.

I agree, I can't see Ibra walking into a team like Dortmund either.

The current United team has a much better chance of beating the current Barcelona team than 2011 United ever had of beating 2011 Barcelona

Last edited:
This might not be unpopular enough for this thread, but Ross Barkley is nowhere near top class, and if he does move on from Everton it won't be to a club of greater or even equal standing.

Maybe it's due to the fact he got sent off, BEFOR half time, that we went on to lose so easily...
We'll have to agree to disagree on Smalling v Evans. For me, Smalling is stronger, quicker, better in the air, better in one on ones, and by far a different standard.
Smalling himself gets regularly sent off for stupid fouls, Evans rarely used to get sent off. Smalling's sent off was the reason we lost 1-0 against Man City in 2014, we didn't lost 6-1 back then because Man City had deteriorated much from 2011.

Smalling is the worst United defender I have seen in terms of what he can do with the ball, he is appalling. Just because Smalling is physically bigger and quicker doesn't make him a better defender. One of the greatest ever defenders in Franco Baresi was just 5'9" and he outplayed Bebeto and Romario in 1994 WC final just through fantastic reading of the game and positional sense. Fabio Cannavaro too was 5'9".

Smalling can't even cope with pressure in difficult times. In 2011, we lost to Basel in the last group match of UCL which we only needed to draw and we lost it mainly because of Smalling's poor defending, the same happened against Bayer Leverkusen last year.

Last edited:
Smalling himself gets regularly sent off for stupid fouls, Evans rarely used to get sent off. Smalling's sent off was the reason we lost 1-0 against Man City in 2014, we didn't lost 6-1 back then because Man City had deteriorated much from 2011.

Smalling is the worst United defender I have seen in terms of what he can do with the ball, he is appalling. Just because Smalling is physically bigger and quicker doesn't make him a better defender. One of the greatest ever defenders in Franco Baresi was just 5'9" and he outplayed Bebeto and Romario in 1994 WC final just through fantastic reading of the game and positional sense. Fabio Cannavaro too was 5'9".

Smalling can't even cope with pressure in difficult times. In 2011, we lost to Basel in the last group match of UCL which we only needed to draw and we lost it mainly because of Smalling's poor defending, the same happened against Bayer Leverkusen last year.
Where were you in 14/15, Evans showed some of the most horrific defending ever at United on continuous basis.

Smalling "regularly" sent off
Evans "rarely" sent off

Smalling
red card away at city
fa cup final v palace

Evans
red card in 6-1 v City
lunge v Bolton

2 each.

Rest of your post is your opinion.

I still think we can win the league if the officials continue not applying the offside rule in the oppositions box at OT:)

The current United team has a much better chance of beating the current Barcelona team than 2011 United ever had of beating 2011 Barcelona
After watching the entire United game today, I'm more convinced of this than ever before.

City beat us 3-1 at home. Our 4-0 victory was not representative at all because before Bravo's red card it was a very even game.

Real was matched both at home and away by a Dortmund team that is currently 6th in the Bundesliga, and they finished behind them in the group.

The Spanish giants are no longer a million miles ahead of the rest like they were a few years ago.

I'd love to see a Barcelona vs United game tomorrow. I think a lot of fans will be shocked.

Our current run of good form is another false dawn, and our defence will be exposed the next time we face one of the top four.

Today has convinced me I was talking bollocks here.

After watching the entire United game today, I'm more convinced of this than ever before.

City beat us 3-1 at home. Our 4-0 victory was not representative at all because before Bravo's red card it was a very even game.

Real was matched both at home and away by a Dortmund team that is currently 6th in the Bundesliga, and they finished behind them in the group.

The Spanish giants are no longer a million miles ahead of the rest like they were a few years ago.

I'd love to see a Barcelona vs United game tomorrow. I think a lot of fans will be shocked.
Nah, we'd be knackered fella.

Status
Not open for further replies.