The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with all of that. Its just using it in the context of yesterday's game that's wrong. Being beaten by an equal, let alone a better team isn't bottling it.

Their reaction to going behind was poor tbh, bottling it is hyperbolic but its in the right ball park

Another season where they win absolutely nothing. We've gone through our worst spell in decades since ferguson left and we've won several trophies and we're in another final. Spurs are at their best in decades and still win nothing. Yet their fans are always full of it and smug as feck. You have to wonder why, and why United fans get so wound up by it. They can only dream of being half as successful as United.

That's true. I accept that, we get excited because of where we've come from! not long ago we were so so Sh1t?! why wouldn't we be excited about being a contender? Spurs fans, certainly the ones I know see online etc are quite humble, we don't expect trophies or have a sense of entitlement that say, Liverpool fans do. it's actually a new thing for us to be so relevant with opposition fans when we lose a game! We used to be like Everton/Villa/Newcastle it's nice for us that things have changed.

You get complete garbage on talksport and the likes saying "Why are Spurs fans just happy with top 4, they should be demanding trophies" this is from the likes of Durham and Essex finest United fa Goldstein. we're not because we remember how bad we were and where Pochettino and Levy have brought us.

I've no real issue with United and this is a good forum cause there's loads of good football chat on it. They only that drives me nuts is when you talk about our players like you can just click your fingers and take them like you've got a right to them or they "belong" at United. That does my nut otherwise meh...

I think you let Glaston's bullishness wind you all up but I guess it also shows how far we've come that you engage with it rather than dismiss it.

*Finally we get favorable media coverage for the exact reason that we used to be SH1T but we've grown and progressed and played good football without spending insane money - cause we don't have it. We actually get criticised for not paying our players more!!

Oh sorry finally finally - the words "bottled it" are thrown around whenever we lose a game, you should give yourselves more credit for winning it instead of us deciding we'd lose it. We've been good in big games this year and haven't been at home

Dortmund at home - WIN
Dortmund away - WIN
Madrid home - WIN
Madrid away -DRAW
United at home - WIN
Arsenal at home - WIN
Chelsea away - WIN
Juventus away -DRAW
Liverpool at home -WIN
Liverpool away - DRAW

not all been bad..

Anyway - thanks

Reactions: Sly
Just seen Pochettino's remarks at the end of the game... wow.

So, realistically speaking, who'll replace him if he goes?

Interesting that Arse and Spuds could both be after new managers the same Summer.

Because Spurs players and manager are destined for greatness, while all of our players are leaving due to a has-been manager? Because every neutral and their mother was predicting a win for Spurs?

Did you miss the media reaction to this Spurs loss?
What about notable journalists damning the FA cup twitter account for giving some banter about Kane being in Smalling's pocket?

You think those things are correct then?

Saying they bottled it completely takes the credit away from our players and manager. We outplayed them. They tried their best but it wasn't good enough.

Saying they bottled it completely takes the credit away from our players and manager. We outplayed them. They tried their best but it wasn't good enough.
Exactly. The desire to get a dig in to Glaston/Spurs is so overwhelming that people will take credit away from our own team and put them down. Sad really.

I think the Spurs wagon will start falling apart this summer, to be honest. Another trophyless season and a slog to get top 4 aren't exactly morale-raising accomplishments for a team with many stars being severely underpaid compared to their peers at other top clubs.

Kane will stay one more season. I could see a few clubs having a cheeky run at Eriksen this summer though, and Dele Alli to do something stupid at the WC which leads to some kind of fallout back over here, dunno.....a red card or something with media swarming all over him and him throwing his toys out of the pram. Alderweireld will also leave this summer, something screams 'Chelsea' to me with that transfer.

Completely agree. Sometimes fans prefer to make fun of their rivals rather than giving their own team credit.

United completely shut Spurs out after going 2-1 up. You did a similar thing in the second half against us and Chelsea in the league.

I’d class the Juve tie a bit of a bottling as they were ahead for large part of the tie and people were expecting them to progress. Although, in hindsight even that was a bit shortsighted.

Yesterday, they just took the lead and that’s pretty much it. Taking the lead doesn’t guarantee anything. They didn’t dominate, neither did they miss gilt-edge chances or give away terrible goals to consider it bottling. They weren’t favourites to win, they didn’t win.

In the grand scheme of things, Spurs are more of a second tier team who doesn’t win trophies than a team that bottles gimmes.

I’d class the Juve tie a bit of a bottling as they were ahead for large part of the tie and people were expecting them to progress. Although, in hindsight even that was a bit shortsighted.

Yesterday, they just took the lead and that’s pretty much it. Taking the lead doesn’t guarantee anything. They didn’t dominate, neither did they miss gilt-edge chances or give away terrible goals to consider it bottling. They weren’t favourites to win, they didn’t win.

In the grand scheme of things, Spurs are more of a second tier team who doesn’t win trophies than a team that bottles gimmes.
We got beat by the better team on the day in a pretty tight match. Same against Juve. If that's what you class as 'bottling' then you might as well class any team who has lost any tight game as bottlers.

I think the Spurs wagon will start falling apart this summer, to be honest. Another trophyless season and a slog to get top 4 aren't exactly morale-raising accomplishments for a team with many stars being severely underpaid compared to their peers at other top clubs.

Kane will stay one more season. I could see a few clubs having a cheeky run at Eriksen this summer though, and Dele Alli to do something stupid at the WC which leads to some kind of fallout back over here, dunno.....a red card or something with media swarming all over him and him throwing his toys out of the pram. Alderweireld will also leave this summer, something screams 'Chelsea' to me with that transfer.

I don't think that's a guarantee.

I think of all of them, Kane is actually the most trophy hungry. And he would obviously command an insanely big fee - which spuds and Levy are increasingly looking like they will soon need.

I genuinely think Kane could leave this Summer.

Has all the bad feeling for Spurs on here been generated by Glaston? Seems strange to see such delight in their misery when all they represent are a historically underperforming club with limited resources now playing attractive football while losing big matches.

They're a filthy dirty side too, who get petulant and snide when things aren't going their way.

One thing I don't get when it comes to their players and contracts is the lack of release clause demands.
They know what Tottenham are like for selling players, but also the club don't win things, so why wouldn't they request release clauses in their contracts, especially knowing they are underpaid in today's market.

You go to Tottenham, you're almost trapped there.
TBF when they were signed, they were not all that hot. Being offered to have a chance at new stadium while playing some games in CL and EL from time to time to build up their reputation is good enough. Just don't fecking sign any extension and you're golden when you fulfill your early promise.

This is something Levy manages to do very well. Ties the player into a long term contract, so if things turn sour (which they inevitably do after no pay rise/ bigger clubs circling) he can get maximum resale value. The players don't seem to learn their lesson.

On other cases, they have bunch of deappreciating assets if the signings turn out badly. They have some one like Klassen and Sissoko on their books, and even Llorente who not many would be interested to take off their hand. So if one look closer and not being clouded by the media hype, it's not perfect. Eventually when they get more competition for quality incoming players, they would face with more risk of taking more of those underwhelming. This is nothing new.

Last edited:
Why is it "bottling" to lose to Manchester United, a side that sits comfortably ahead of Spurs in 2nd place in the league?
League table has nothing to do in an one game off especially cup tie.

Wasn't the media building up this game talking about Poch's home record with Tottenham against us has put the "Lads, it's Spurs" to bed? How Tottenham played us off the park not long ago? They scored an early goal in this game too. Playing on the same round you spent all season to get used to is not advantage?

If we're in that position and lost the game, I doubt anybody would make a case counter the use of "bottling" term.

Last edited:
League table has nothing to do in one game off especially cup tie.

Wasn't the media building up this game talking about Poch's home record with Tottenham against us has put the "Lads, it's Spurs" to bed? How Tottenham played us off the park not long ago? They scored an early goal in this game too. Playing on the same round you spent all season to get used to is not advantage?

If we're in that position and lost the game, I doubt anybody would make a case counter the use of "bottling" term.

The point being made by highlighting the league standing is that we are the better side.

Don't tell me what the media has been spouting. If thats the opinion I was interested in, I'd read the papers. You can't call the media biased cnuts and then make use their feckwittery to support your point. Do you, ti vu from the Internet, think Spurs are so much better than Man Utd that losing to them should be classed a bottle job?

Every tiny advantage not being capitalised on to ensure victory isn't a bottle job. Some of you have a weird obsession with the term. Anyways, if your reasons for calling this a bottle job is because they took a 10th min lead at home, just say so and I'll not bother anymore.

The point being made by highlighting the league standing is that we are the better side.

Don't tell me what the media has been spouting. If thats the opinion I was interested in, I'd read the papers. You can't call the media biased cnuts and then make use their feckwittery to support your point. Do you, ti vu from the Internet, think Spurs are so much better than Man Utd that losing to them should be classed a bottle job?

Every tiny advantage not being capitalised on to ensure victory isn't a bottle job. Some of you have a weird obsession with the term. Anyways, if your reasons for calling this a bottle job is because they took a 10th min lead at home, just say so and I'll not bother anymore.
Yes. If it happened to us after, an early goal at a ground against you're so used to; against even a better team you was able to play off the park not long ago; I would be royal pissed and use the the too infamous terms embarrassing and bottlejob to describe.

At high level, tiny advantage go a long way. Why coaches, manager talk about pitch condition, pitch's dimension diffierent (some pitch is bigger, smaller)?

I don't think that's a guarantee.

I think of all of them, Kane is actually the most trophy hungry. And he would obviously command an insanely big fee - which spuds and Levy are increasingly looking like they will soon need.

I genuinely think Kane could leave this Summer.

Hell would have to freeze over

You think those things are correct then?

Some of it is correct (ie Kane being a world class striker), some of it is in the air (ie Martial leaving, Pochettino becoming an elite manager), some of it is plain false (ie Mourinho losing the dressing room). Spurs bottled it just like England do in international competitions. They operate in an alternate reality where they are the big boys in town and then reality hits them in the face.

For example, Pochettino said before the game that the FA cup wouldn't take them to the next level. Its as if he has no idea what club he is managing and the players that he is managing. They have won feck all yet act as if the FA cup is business as usual for him, his players and the club.

Spurs haven't won the FA cup in 27 years. Pocchetino hasn't won a single trophy in his whole management career. Belittling the FA cup like he did, then putting out that performance is a bottle job in my opinion.

Spurs just have no semblance of a big game mentality. Despite the obvious progress made over the last decade or so (let’s not forget it was actually Harry Redknapp who got them into the CL), as soon as they’ve ever worked themselves into a position where there’s silverware on the line they have collectively shit themselves. They’re also a horribly dirty team at times, especially when things don’t go their way, something you think they’d be used to by now. United completely dominated the game after 20 minutes - it was a terrific victory for Mourinho, plus some of our maligned players like Pogba and Sanchez.

It's cute now that everyone accept us being a better side. I must have been seeing thing when I remembered reading about us and Tottenham from so called United support here after that game, and pre match, how Tottenham know how to beat us at their ground.

Okay. I apologize to misuse of the term bottling. I am happy with us being better side. :cool:

Feels like a lot of people don't really know what to bottle something really means. Including this moron.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...sanchez-dele-alli-ander-herrera-a8316181.html

What the hell is this abomination of an article. Spurs had a 10-15 minute period where they were decent (not good, just decent). Other than that they were utter shite.

The whole 2nd half from them was pathetic. How can anyone say a team 'should' have won when they don't even turn up for half the game.

What the hell is this abomination of an article. Spurs had a 10-15 minute period where they were decent (not good, just decent). Other than that they were utter shite.

The whole 2nd half from them was pathetic. How can anyone say a team 'should' have won when they don't even turn up for half the game.
No, no, no, they were brilliant for 20 minutes, then they just stopped playing and let us win.

No, no, no, they were brilliant for 20 minutes, then they just stopped playing and let us win.

What was brilliant from them in the first twenty minutes? They won a lot of second balls and that's about it. Their goal was from a long ball that was not particularly dangerous, but some shithsow defending from us gave them a piss easy goal.

Unless I've missed some sarcasm :D. I can't agree with them being brilliant at any period in that game

What was brilliant from them in the first twenty minutes? They won a lot of second balls and that's about it. Their goal was from a long ball that was not particularly dangerous, but some shithsow defending from us gave them a piss easy goal.

Unless I've missed some sarcasm :D. I can't agree with them being brilliant at any period in that game
You missed A LOT of sarcasm. ;)

You missed A LOT of sarcasm. ;)

:lol:

My favorite part of that article was how the City game was brought up for seemingly no reason, just to say how City beat a team very easily that were so much better than United for 20 minutes but bottled it.

The end to this season has been great, let's hope it finishes with another FA cup.

.... they play nice footy and don’t spend any money so it’s all good.

You seem to have forgotten the not far short of £1 billion we have/are investing in the new stadium complex and training ground.

We may have lost an FA Cup semi, but the above-mentioned spending will improve the prospects for Spurs for decades to come.

You seem to have forgotten the not far short of £1 billion we have/are investing in the new stadium complex and training ground.

We may have lost an FA Cup semi, but the above-mentioned spending will improve the prospects for Spurs for decades to come.

Holy moly, 1 billion? I'm trembling by that prospects. :nervous:

Worked out for Arsenal didn't it.

Completely agree. Sometimes fans prefer to make fun of their rivals rather than giving their own team credit.

United completely shut Spurs out after going 2-1 up. You did a similar thing in the second half against us and Chelsea in the league.

Both you and City made it a lot harder for us to do that. Dont intend to take credit from our players, they did brilliantly to get back ahead and most had a great game. But Spurs do react poorly to adversity. Kicking and fouling players, arguing with the ref and picking fights with opposition is just really counter productive to getting back into the game with limited time left. They did our job for us in terms of breaking the game up and chewing up time.
Its a weakness and people will harp on about it till its proven wrong.

You have avoided answering my original question I see?

Losing 8(!) semi-finals on the trot, combined with the Leicester City capitulation, seems to suggest that there is a mentality problem with the Spurs players and the club itself. That said, how will a 'new stadium complex and training ground' help to rectify this deep-seated mental issue currently embedded within the core of the club?

I'm not a native English speaker so my definition of 'bottling' might be off, but I regard Spurs bottled it. Not because they objectively had the better team or even better form than us, but simply because of all the hysteria from both their own fans and the cretin ABU media hyping them up to no end coming in to this game. They simply bottled their undeserved image as the self-righteous up-and-coming 'entertaining to watch' hero that would finally slay the big bad dragon - and failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.