Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The appeal of Scream was never really the actual scares themselves though, was it? It was the self-aware undermining/embracing of horror cliches. I'm not sure dismissing it as garbage jump scares works when it is deliberately playing with the idea of garbage jump scares.
I was looking at the best part of Scream not the worst part

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
It takes ages to get going but that's how they did horror back then. The final act is worth the wait though. You have to remember he was on a very limited budget too.
When it comes to 70's slasher films there's Black Christmas and several giallo's that are way more potent and also precedes Halloween. Texas Chainsaw Masscare was made on an even lesser budget and it blows Halloween out of the water.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Halloween 3: Season of the Witch was never intended to be a sequel. Just the studio doing the usual and trying to con people to make money. As a standalone film I love it.
If I remember correctly, the original plan by Carpenter was to have all the Halloween films as stand alone. So technically, this was closer to his plan than a string of films featuring Michael Myers.

I've never been a huge fan if the series, they're very overhyped. Only one I really enjoyed was the first one and that was mainly due to Dean Cundy's cinematography.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Doctor Sleep
Although I heard the trailers looked shite, I was still excited to see this as in a big fan of Mike Flanagan and wanted to see what he'd do with an impossible task of pleasing two fan bases (Stephen King's and Stanley Kubrick's). This film technically was superb, shot really well, very good acting. The characters all felt fleshed out nicely. I loved done of the themes covered in the movie. However, it just was not scary (in terms of visual or atmosphere). It definitely had some scary moments but because they treated the "shine" like a super power, as opposed to something haunting them like it did in the first film with Danny, it just made the film a bit cheesy. Overall is say it's still worth watching, especially for the Shining nostalgia nods, which were superb 6.5/10

Amarsdd

Jojo Rabbit
Such a wonderful movie. Taika Waititi has really outdone himself with this one. A great balance of absurd humor and sensitivity in such a minefield of a topic. Probably the first time I've seen people laughing out loud and crying at the same time in the theater. Now I want to see all of Taika Waititi's movies again.
9/10

pauldyson1uk

Midsommar

A couple travels to Sweden to visit a rural hometown's fabled mid-summer festival. What begins as an idyllic retreat quickly devolves into an increasingly violent and bizarre competition at the hands of a pagan cult.
I thought it was a decent watch , clear they had been watching the Wicker Man.
The scene with the cliff fall is brutal , very slow in parts, all in all a fecked up film, I enjoyed it.

6.5/10

pauldyson1uk

Scary Stories to tell in the Dark

On Halloween 1968, reclusive Stella and her two friends meet a mysterious drifter, Ramón, and uncover a sinister notebook of stories.
While the film was not terrible, could not help think it was horror for kids, would not of looks out of place on a teen kids channel, the acting was OK.
The story could have been so much better.

5/10

Sanche7

Scary Stories to tell in the Dark

On Halloween 1968, reclusive Stella and her two friends meet a mysterious drifter, Ramón, and uncover a sinister notebook of stories.
While the film was not terrible, could not help think it was horror for kids, would not of looks out of place on a teen kids channel, the acting was OK.
The story could have been so much better.

5/10
Agree, the movie had the potential to be way more scarier. It felt like they decided to tone down the scares to make it more kid friendly

pauldyson1uk

Mary

A family looking to start a charter-boat business buys a ship that holds terrifying secrets once out on isolated waters.
It was watchable, predictable story , very predictable ending, nothing that has not been done many time before.

4/10

pauldyson1uk

The Wheel

Matt volunteers for an experiment that promises to return mobility to his legs. He does not know at what price.
Better than I expected it to be, interesting plot , acting was a bit wooden at times, nice twist at the end.

5/10

pauldyson1uk

Water

This is the blurb on IMdB, "Water" is an original Phillip Penza creation. Its unexpected twists and turns give a whole new outlook on swimming and bathing. In a rage of jealousy, Miss Leanne takes matters into her own hands only to come up short. Now the water at this address takes on a life of its own. With an all-star cast along with Arizona local talent, Phillip Penza and Little Books Little Films will have you glued to your seats.

It is a dreadful , easy one of the worst films I have ever seen.
It has nothing going for it , bad writing, the worst wooden acting you have ever seen and a really bad ending, I cant recommended this, even by the standard of films I was this was bad.

WTF/10

Last edited:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Knife+Heart - Superb tender, modern Giallo. These retro horrors often ends up as stale pastiches but this one, instead of just merely paying homage, played with the genre, updated it and invoked modern, queer sensibilities. It even delved into the fantastique which can easily derail any film but in this case it just added more flavour. Vanessa Paradis anchored it well in the lead role. I wish it was a 2019 film instead of a 2018 one so I could say it was the first new film of the year I enjoyed.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Knife+Heart - Superb tender, modern Giallo. These retro horrors often ends up as stale pastiches but this one, instead of just merely paying homage, played with the genre, updated it and invoked modern, queer sensibilities. It even delved into the fantastique which can easily derail any film but in this case it just added more flavour. Vanessa Paradis anchored it well in the lead role. I wish it was a 2019 film instead of a 2018 one so I could say it was the first new film of the year I enjoyed.
You haven't enjoyed any 2019 films?

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Managed to catch Sorry We Missed You yesterday. Thought it was great. Usually films like this provide an inkling of hope amongst the despair to anger the audience enough while reminding them that things can indeed change, but Loach is clearly miles past that point now. This is relentlessly bleak. On the surface it's a film about a couple who can't make ends meet but underneath it's really about the decimation of community and a fundamental lack of compassion for our neighbours. Confirmation, almost, that we'll turn on each other before we turn on those who are to blame. There is no hope, there is no light relief, only suffering and strife.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Watched The King on Netflix last night which is a theatrical interpretation of the rise of Henry V and the Battle of Agincourt. It's certainly one of the their better movie efforts (although granted that's not saying much). Michod is building a decent body of work and he's got a good cast to work with here. Joel Edgerton who also produces takes on a kind of Russell Crowe weary old warrior role, Robert Pattinson hams it up delightfully with a ludicrous french accent and Sean Harris plays his standard shifty evil cnut role. Timothy Chalamet who I'm not familiar with carries the pic well to be fair. I could buy him as a young King although the scenes where he's in combat are less believable. Speaking of the combat there are a few decent battle scenes and some effectively jarring moments of violence. Worth a watch.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I watched Fargo last night, enjoyed it and have liked the Coen brothers' films I've seen...but, given the widespread praise, I expected to be blown away. Why is the movie so very highly regarded? I'm more of a reader than a (film) viewer, so could someone please explain its merits and what I'm missing?

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I watched Fargo last night, enjoyed it and have liked the Coen brothers' films I've seen...but, given the widespread praise, I expected to be blown away. Why is the movie so very highly regarded? I'm more of a reader than a (film) viewer, so could someone please explain its merits and what I'm missing?
The things I remember from the time are the accents. In the 1990s when it came out many movies had been set in California, New York or the South, the whole upper Midwest accent thing was considered quaint and novel; it offered an entry level observation for water cooler conversations ("I thought how they did the accents was cool"...)

Then from a Western cinematography perspective the movie was interesting in being one of the first Western culture "white noir" - that is using the snow and other blindingly bright images to invoke bleakness which is a reversal of classic film noir. From all the old classics (Double Indemnity, Postman Always Rings Twice, Mildred Pierce) there is always a use of shadows to conveying a sort of claustrophobic closing in on the protagonist. Fargo inverts that and uses white and snow imagery to represent death. The only other Euro-Americo movie I can think of off the top of my head that is 'white noir' is Wind River which takes a lot of its cinematography cues from Fargo. (tons of Asian movies though use the "white out" imagery around death because in Asia white is the color of death and mourning not black).

SteveJ

Scout
Thank you. :)

It just seemed small in scope to me, kinda like a stylised tv movie (though I must stress again that I did like the film).

SteveJ

Scout
Unforgiven (1992)

Yet another hot new release in the SteveJ 50p-from-CeX Collection.
More seriously, a seriously good revisionist Western.

8.5/10

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
If anyone has a library card or an affiliation with a university, check out Kanopy. It's a free streaming site with an excellent collection, including most of the Criterion films. Sort of astounded I haven't come across it before.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
'sbout masculine folly in the snowy Minnesotan wastelands, the grisly delight of watching Jerry dig his own grave, the dark absurd imagery, wood chippers and lumberjacks, Buscemi and Stormare comedy duo, Marge large and in charge, based on true events innit.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Agreed. I thought it was overrated too. Have you seen Three billboards outside Ebbing? Pretty sure you will enjoy this one.
The reason I'm recommending it is because I thought it was a Coen brothers film until just now.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Brightburn
After an alien ship lands on their backyard, a couple raise a boy found in there but he soon turns evil. Basically the film about if Superman was a bad mofo. Cool concept but the film didn't really do much with it. The movie was very rushed and quite boring, which is a sin considering the premise. Sone really violent kill scenes so not all bad 4/10

Alita: Battle Angel

Stunning to watch, especially the action scenes. The plot though was very generic. Kind of wish I saw it on the big screen 6/10

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
If anyone has a library card or an affiliation with a university, check out Kanopy. It's a free streaming site with an excellent collection, including most of the Criterion films. Sort of astounded I haven't come across it before.
Brilliant tip mate thanks! I am going to take advantage of this, I wish I knew about it earlier. Their collection of world classics (Criterion and more) and documentaries is outstanding.

SteveJ

Scout
Planet of the Apes (2001)

Now, I'm not saying this is the worst film in history...I'm writing it.

1/10