The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Francine

From the NWS...

Each year, an average of ten tropical storms develop over the Atlantic Ocean, Carribean Sea, and Gulf of Mexico. Many of these remain over the ocean. Six of these storms become hurricanes each year. In an average 3-year period, roughly five hurricanes strike the United States coastline, killing approximately 50 to 100 people anywhere from Texas to Maine. Of these, two are typically major hurricanes (winds greater than 110 mph).

Luckily there's not many that hit land. When they do,, their lives are upended but there's typically quick FEMA response, but their lives are upended & massively altered.
But housing for example? Every year you gotta reinforce your house?

In Florida so long as you’re built to code and have appropriate roof straps, windows and doors, it’s not an every year thing. I have old windows and an old wooden house so there is a risk. Too many windows to board up too.

Every year we do prepare though. I make sure my 100 odd gallons of petrol for generator is good, test both, stock up cans of food and water, get trees trimmed back and make sure fence is in good order. In Tampa historically we have avoided most of them and my house is 42ft above sea level (with an additional 4ft crawl space) so for me water isnt the issue, wind is.

There are a lot of people who are complacent and really don’t think about it too much because statistically the chances of getting hit are small. But it only takes one.

What is hurting me more is the state of home insurance is really bad, there is so little oversight of cowboy contractors ripping off insurance companies that the insurance industry is almost bankrupt. This year could push it over the edge.

Like someone mentioned Florida homes are reinforced to withstand hurricanes. New York not so much. Sandy totally crippled Long Island when it passed through hrre a few years ago. Floridians aren't phased by hurricanes but the smaller islands aren't as equipped as places like Florida. Poverty stricken countries where they literally live in shacks don't stand a chance.

Only a Cat 4 now, but it's about to hit Jamaica & the Caymans. Here's a quick look at the destruction it made...

Thankfully there wasn't more of the Gulf to churn over,, basically ran out of track over which to get stronger.

Yeah thankfully only hit as a Cat 1.

Still was a Cat 1 rolling through downtown Houston though
I was supposed to be flying in & out of Houston today for an interview; thankfully we decided to push it back a week before they booked the flights.

Still out of power at the house. Came into work though cause the office has power and A/C. First time I have been on the net in days. Millions still without power here in Houston area, and of course its insanely hot. Looking to be another scorcher. Hopefully a lot more get power today.

Still out of power at the house. Came into work though cause the office has power and A/C. First time I have been on the net in days. Millions still without power here in Houston area, and of course its insanely hot. Looking to be another scorcher. Hopefully a lot more get power today.
How long have you lived in the Houston area?

How bad was Harvey? Almost took a position at Pass & Provisions in 2019 & the stories I heard from the owners was hard to imagine.
Harvey was pretty awful. The biggest difference was that Harvey basically popped a squat over Houston and rained for days. Thus the flooding. Beryl at least moved through relatively quickly but so many still without power 3 days later and probably a few more days for millions. I hadn't been able to check the news for delays but seemingly looking like a preparedness failure by The energy provider. And I didnt even know our lame ass governor was in Asia. So we have an acting loser.

Great, this little fecking storm is going to linger over Savannah for two high tide cycles. Manhole covers get blown out whenever there is a decent storm at high tide here...

Brother has been here 2 weeks and storm hits the day he’s trying to get out. Inbound BA and Virgin diverted to Orlando not 10 mins before everything started coming in ok. Annoying.

14 years here, never seen rain like this.
Got a text message from Tampa Electric they are taking me down for 6 hours tomorrow for planned maintenance!

And so it begins here. Potential torrential, historical rain. Went to my favorite Cuban restaurant a minute ago to get 6 Cuban sandwiches to tide me over til Thursday.

14 years here, never seen rain like this.
Got a text message from Tampa Electric they are taking me down for 6 hours tomorrow for planned maintenance!
Good for you being a bit higher up.

How many inches have you received? (Contender for the sexual posts thread).

Good for you being a bit higher up.

How many inches have you received? (Contender for the sexual posts thread).
At this point I don’t even know. Has rained constantly since about 1pm yesterday and it is still driving in bands. At least a good 6 inches
Thankfully Seminole Heights keeps me above flooding, roads are a mess today though.

At this point I don’t even know. Has rained constantly since about 1pm yesterday and it is still driving in bands. At least a good 6 inches
Thankfully Seminole Heights keeps me above flooding, roads are a mess today though.
Thankfully the surge looks like it will be just a couple of feet.