Books The BOOK thread

Pffffft better drugs in the 90's!

Psychedelics shit all over Pharms.

At least from my personal experience.

Pffffft better drugs in the 90's!

Psychedelics shit all over Pharms.

At least from my personal experience.

:nono:

It's not like psychedelics went extinct or anything. We just had loads of luvverly ecstacy to wash them down with (not that I'm advocating taking class A drugs, drugs are bad, K?)

Seriously though, the whole "second summer of love" thing in the early 90s was an unbelievable time to be a young adult (ok, not necessarily a teenager, feck you LK) mainly because of the effects of MDMA and the amazing bonding experience that gave to anyone who was a part of it. Wouldn't have been anything like that on LSD, shrooms, peyote or whatever. To walk into a rave back then and see a whole room full of hundreds of people, bursting with good vibes, positivity and love was a life-changing experience. For me anyway.

E's are still round now, but the whole vibe has changed completely. When it was all fresh and new, you really felt like you were part of something special and, to an extent, we were.

But don't mind me and my reminiscing. This is way off topic. I might start a new thread about it. Hmmm...

:nono:

It's not like psychedelics went extinct or anything. We just had loads of luvverly ecstacy to wash them down with (not that I'm advocating taking class A drugs, drugs are bad, K?)

Seriously though, the whole "second summer of love" thing in the early 90s was an unbelievable time to be a young adult (ok, not necessarily a teenager, feck you LK) mainly because of the effects of MDMA and the amazing bonding experience that gave to anyone who was a part of it. Wouldn't have been anything like that on LSD, shrooms, peyote or whatever. To walk into a rave back then and see a whole room full of hundreds of people, bursting with good vibes, positivity and love was a life-changing experience. For me anyway.

E's are still round now, but the whole vibe has changed completely. When it was all fresh and new, you really felt like you were part of something special and, to an extent, we were.

But don't mind me and my reminiscing. This is way off topic. I might start a new thread about it. Hmmm...

Do. That is one thread I promise to offer my full patronage to.

I get what your saying Pogue, unfortunately its lost on my generation. I used to do MDMA regularly and at first it was awesome, but i used to do it in clubs full of people pissed off their heads.

As you can imagine the sociability of the drug led to some sticky situations with piss-heads.

Then when I finally went to some parties exclusively for the stuff the highs were lower, the comedowns were harsher.

I've just found that a group of people on Psychedelics is a much more enriching experience.

Then again, I think im going to ease off most stuff now, one summer in Goa and then after i've burned out i'll fade away ;)

I get what your saying Pogue, unfortunately its lost on my generation. I used to do MDMA regularly and at first it was awesome, but i used to do it in clubs full of people pissed off their heads.

As you can imagine the sociability of the drug led to some sticky situations with piss-heads.

Then when I finally went to some parties exclusively for the stuff the highers were lower, the comedowns were harsher.

I've just found that a group of people on Psychedelics is a much more enriching experience.

Then again, I think im going to ease off most stuff now, one summer in Goa and then after i've burned out i'll fade away ;)

That's why the early 90s were so amazing. The only drink sold in the clubs I was going to at the time was bottled water. Nobody was doing coke either. Or anything that could cause negative vibes.

It really was amazing. Middle-class geeks like me hugging hardened ex-cons and grinning like loons at each other with the sheer joy of the music we were listening to. Unbelievable sense of solidarity. Amazing.

Feck it, I'm gonna start a thread in Chat Gen...

I'm on the last book in a trilogy called the "Millennium-trilogy". Unfortunately the only books published by the author Stieg Larsson.
I've always read a lot of books, but this is the first time I can actually say I could not stop reading. And everyone I've spoken to about these have confirmed that they too couldn't stop reading them. Great books!

Only two of the three books have been published in English so far, at least these are the two I can find on amazon:

*The Girl With the Dragoon Tattoo
*The Girl Who Played With Fire

The third one is:
*The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Castles in the Sky), but I don't know when it's being published in English.

READ THEM, I'm reading the last one now and I can't stop..

Also.. a question; Has anyone read "The Undercover Economist" by Tim Harford? Considering reading that.

Just finished reading call of the wild, which is probably one of, if not my favourite book ever. Then proceeded to spend 3 hours walking around every book shop in Exeter looking for a copy of White Fang before realizing Jack London books are seemingly impossible to get hold of outside of the internet. Pffft madness. No wonder kids these days are all going round and stabbing each other.

Anyway, Call of the Wild. In the words of CantonasWife- READ IT.

Just finished reading call of the wild, which is probably one of, if not my favourite book ever. Then proceeded to spend 3 hours walking around every book shop in Exeter looking for a copy of White Fang before realizing Jack London books are seemingly impossible to get hold of outside of the internet. Pffft madness. No wonder kids these days are all going round and stabbing each other.

Good shout Smashed - also recommend Sea Wolf too

London´s books here

http://london.sonoma.edu/Writings/

Cantonas Wife, what kind of genre are those books?

Sound good, but i'm worried they are fantasy. Which for some reason I can't get in to.

Good shout Smashed - also recommend Sea Wolf too

London´s books here

http://london.sonoma.edu/Writings/

Oh nice one topper. I've never read Sea Wolf, but they had a short write up about it in the back of Call of the Wild so I am going to pick it up. It's a sham that in both the Waterstones and W H Smith 'classic' sections there wasn't a single Jack London book. Had almost forgotten how much I enjoyed his books, White Fang and Call of the Wild must have been read a hundred times over when I was young

Cantonas Wife, what kind of genre are those books?

Sound good, but i'm worried they are fantasy. Which for some reason I can't get in to.

They are crime stories. Very very interesting crime stories. The first book has been made into a movie and it's opening at the end of this month. Am looking forward to it, but sadly movies rarely outshine the book.

And talking txt, like LOLs!1!!!

Kids need to read more!

Oh nice one topper. I've never read Sea Wolf, but they had a short write up about it in the back of Call of the Wild so I am going to pick it up. It's a sham that in both the Waterstones and W H Smith 'classic' sections there wasn't a single Jack London book. Had almost forgotten how much I enjoyed his books, White Fang and Call of the Wild must have been read a hundred times over when I was young

have you tried audio books Smashed - I read all the harry Potter books and later dl them as audiobooks and they were great - it surprised me how much of the actual books I´d skipped. You cannot skip with audio you listen word by word

Been reading a lot of Jeffrey Archer recently; what a cracking book Kane and Abel is!

have you tried audio books Smashed - I read all the harry Potter books and later dl them as audiobooks and they were great - it surprised me how much of the actual books I´d skipped. You cannot skip with audio you listen word by word

No, where do you get audio books from? Would like to give some a try, mind I don't really fancy paying too much for them if I can help it. Would rather just spend the money on a good ol' paperback

No, where do you get audio books from? Would like to give some a try, mind I don't really fancy paying too much for them if I can help it. Would rather just spend the money on a good ol' paperback

Go to the library - if there's any charge at all, it won't be much.

I'm about to start Robin Hobb's - Assassin's Quest.

It's been recommended to me by another avid Fantasy lover.

I'm about to start Robin Hobb's - Assassin's Quest.

It's been recommended to me by another avid Fantasy lover.

That's one series that I've had on my 'To-read' list for too long now. Supposedly really great.

Beginning my first shot at Robert Heinlein with 'Stranger in a Strange Land'. Good so far ... can't see too much of the political preaching that I heard he was famous for .. or maybe I'm not getting it.

I would just like to recommend to any Fantasy lovers the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. Just finished reading the second in the trilogy, and I have to say I'm loving it. Assassins, magic, heroes and Godkings. Its feckin' brill. I thought it started off a bit slow, and I admit I put the first one down after reading the first couple of chapters and didn't read it again for a few weeks, thinking it an easy to read book with some potential, but nothing to get me engrossed. How wrong I was! Have now read the two 600 page plus books in a week. It's the biggest cliche in the publishing world, but the plot really does leave you craving more. Brilliantly flawed heroes, murder, torture, and a story that takes you right down into the bowels of a corrupt city.

Ihe Night Angel Trilogy. It's really, really good people.

I'll have to look for that, sounds great. I've got a feckload of books to get through before that.

Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind
Wrath of a Mad God by Raymond E. Feist
The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden
Wolfblade by Jennifer Fallon
and Kushiel's Scion by Jacqueline Carey

I'll have to look for that, sounds great. I've got a feckload of books to get through before that.

Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind
Wrath of a Mad God by Raymond E. Feist
The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden
Wolfblade by Jennifer Fallon
and Kushiel's Scion by Jacqueline Carey

Finished that trilogy a while a go. Have to admit I was disappointed, it started off well but just kind of veered off and I lost interest by the third book. Very similar to David Eddings in that her heroes seemingly have no dislikable flaws and her bad guys are your typical Alan Rickman type character...

Her Demon Child trilogy was better and has a lot of ties to the Wolfblade trilogy. But have you ever read her Lion of Senet trilogy? Her best by far in my opinon. Absolutely loved that series of books, far, far better than Wolfblade. Some brilliant twists and very well done characters. Might actually give it a read again after I finish the night angel trilogy.

Conn Iggulden's Emperor books are superb, you will enjoy that series I think

Finished that trilogy a while a go. Have to admit I was disappointed, it started off well but just kind of veered off and I lost interest by the third book. Very similar to David Eddings in that her heroes seemingly have no dislikable flaws and her bad guys are your typical Alan Rickman type character...

Her Demon Child trilogy was better and has a lot of ties to the Wolfblade trilogy. But have you ever read her Lion of Senet trilogy? Her best by far in my opinon. Absolutely loved that series of books, far, far better than Wolfblade. Some brilliant twists and very well done characters. Might actually give it a read again after I finish the night angel trilogy.

Conn Iggulden's Emperor books are superb, you will enjoy that series I think

I've not read any of Fallon before, but if i find this book half decent i'll probably end up buying all her books. I liked reading Eddings from time to time when i'd want a break from anything serious so i'll probably like her work as well. In small doses anyway.

I'm halfway through Naked Empire by Goodkind atm. Am torn on whether to read Wrath of a Mad God by Feist next, or The Gates of Rome. I think it'll have to be Feist, because i know once i finish Gates of Rome, i'll have to move straight onto the next book in the series.

I'm in awe of Smashed's fantasy and SF reading credentials. Hope to get there someday.

Also, could you guys give me the absolute must-reads for Iain Banks ... both his SF and non-SF works. I've heard so much of the Culture series without having read anything by him .. yet. Is it hard Sci-fi or more character and plot driven ?

Anyone read Everything is illuminated? Just bought it, gonna give it a read. Haven't watched the film yet so ive nothing to compare it to which is good.

Anyone read anything by Karin Slaughter? She's coming to Uni tomorrow and wanted to know whether i should bother staying back for her talk.