Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

Yes, but it's no guarantee and never has been. People get rejected at the airport even with the proper visa - and pre covid.

Especially citizens of third world countries know that granted visa does NOT mean free access. You still have to show sufficient proof to the border forces. Djokovic did not succeed in convincing the guys at the border. He should have known. Ideally rules apply for everyone.
It's fair enough but at least brings into question the process TA used to grant him the exemption which I think most of us looked at fairly dubiously.

Bondi77

Well said.
I hope people boycott his games or simply turn off their tvs when he is playing.

I have just seen the latest and it just goes to show common sense prevails if enough people with it make those that do not have it aware of what the difference is between right and wrong.

Last edited:

spiriticon

No one's forcing Djokovic to take part in the Australian Open.

If the principles of being unvaccinated is strong for him, just go home and wait for next year when there is no requirement to be vaccinated.

You can't force your will on another country.

Rooney24

Get him on a plane
Send him back to Belgrade
Viva Djokovic

Needs a bit of work maybe.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yes, but it's no guarantee and never has been. People get rejected at the airport even with the proper visa - and pre covid.

Especially citizens of third world countries know that granted visa does NOT mean free access. You still have to show sufficient proof to the border forces. Djokovic did not succeed in convincing the guys at the border. He should have known. Ideally rules apply for everyone.
Correct. Sounds like his medical proof wasn't accepted.

I wonder if his natropath signed it?

Rajma

If only Australians have shown this much resistance towards never ending lockdowns from which they have suffered so much.

wr8_utd

:'(
He could get the J&J vaccine and wait two weeks, that would count.

Those saying this is politics... almost all decisions we are living through right now are due to politics - the medical experts are providing their opinions to the politicians, who are then deciding how to lockdown, rollout vaccines etc. This is no different.
I guess we're about to find out just how strong his anti-vax sentiments really are and if the cakewalk of a title#21 makes him change his mind.
He hasn't been deported yet but hopefully will be.
He'll reportedly be deported on Thursday even though he's filing an injunction against the deportation.

ExoduS

This entire situation sucks. I don't understand why he is such a passionate anti-vaxxer, I do and don't understand hard COVID vaccine mandates. This entire COVID situation has been very hard for me, and this is another blow. I just feel knocked down this time, it is not just another punch. I see so many people celebrating as if they won something. I am going offline.

Rooney24

I guess we're about to find out just how strong his anti-vax sentiments really are and if the cakewalk of a title#21 makes him change his mind.

He'll reportedly be deported on Thursday even though he's filing an injunction against the deportation.
Im interested to find out how he plans to do this, on what grounds.

He's rocked up to Australia with insufficient evidence for an exemption. Its pretty clear cut on the face of it.

saivet

He's made it pretty clear he's against vaccinations, so I doubt things will change for him.
I guess it will depend on the policy RG, Wimbledon and the US Open take though. Given rules in coming to the UK are fairly relaxed in comparison, I'd imagine he's fine there but less familiar with the US and France.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He was gave the exemption though, surely the different parties involved should have been more aligned to prevent this situation? Why did Tennis Australia give him the go ahead without validating it with the respective government bodies.
Hi evidence of an exemption may have been inadequate but it also sounds possible that he applied for the wrong visa - one that doesn't allow for a medical exemption. If this is the case his visa would be cancelled as he didn't have proof of vaccination.

Lawyers will now appeal I'd guess although I'm not sure that there is much time to do so.

Last edited:

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Correct. Sounds like his medical proof wasn't accepted.

I wonder if his natropath signed it?
It should have been very easy for him to get a fabricated but real medical proof from doctors in Serbia. But I guess
He's made it pretty clear he's against vaccinations, so I doubt things will change for him.
I guess it will depend on the policy RG, Wimbledon and the US Open take though. Given rules in coming to the UK are fairly relaxed in comparison, I'd imagine he's fine there but less familiar with the US and France.
I really hope that RG and US Open allow only vaccinated players (not even if you had COVID, because there was sufficient time to get the vaccine.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No one's forcing Djokovic to take part in the Australian Open.

If the principles of being unvaccinated is strong for him, just go home and wait for next year when there is no requirement to be vaccinated.

You can't force your will on another country.
Agreed although vaccination is likely to be required for many years and certainly won't have gone by next year.

Note to self: resist urge to say that Serbs don't always agree that you can't force another country to do what you want.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Agreed although vaccination is likely to be required for many years and certainly won't have gone by next year.

Note to self: resist urge to say that Serbs don't always agree that you can't force another country to do what you want.
He's lucky there's a strange carveout for visiting athletes in NYC or the US Open would ban him too.

Tomorrow they'll be claiming Australia as part of Greater Serbia...

ExoduS

I was wondering why you hate Djokovic so much. It is on a national bases. Figures.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Whatever you think about this whole fiasco (and I personally think it is quite political with the impending federal election), Djokovic brought this on himself.

He postured for ages on his dumb stance, proclaimed he got given a special exemption and just made a proper spectacle of this whole thing.

And to be champion of the AO 9 times and still have so little awareness of Australia and the nation's mentality is just another sign of his ignorance. If one nation was going to kick him out, especially when it's such an easy win for their current dumb prime minister, it was the Aussies. Big up to them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I was wondering why you hate Djokovic so much. It is on a national bases. Figures.
No. It is because he is an anti-vaxx nut job who thinks the rules don't apply to him. I don't want anyone like him to be allowed entry to the country no matter what their nationality.

And the French. Yes - another joke if you recognise them

Last edited:

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
No. It is because he is an anti-vaxx nut job who thinks the rules don't apply to him. I don't want anyone like him to be allowed entry to the country no matter what their nationality.
The same for me. Before Covid I was rather a Djokovic fan. But since then I think his behaviour has cost some people's lives because he is an idol for so many.

He can't compensate that downside with brilliant tennis - at least not in my opinion.

It's a real shame. But he has been on a despicable roll for quite some time now.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The same for me. Before Covid I was rather a Djokovic fan. But since then I think his behaviour has cost some people's lives because he is an idol for so many.

He can't compensate that downside with brilliant tennis - at least not in my opinion.

It's a real shame. But he has been on a despicable roll for quite some time now.
Agreed. Great player but he seems to have gone full tin foil hat in recent years.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I wonder if Australia sent back the money Novak sent them during the fire that happened 2 years ago.
Australia didn't get any money. A charity probably did. Not sure if asking for a charity donation to be returned in a fit of pique is a good idea for his already tarnished reputation tbh.

And unconfirmed reports suggest the cash was vaccinated anyway.

Last edited:

ExoduS

Australia didn't get any money. A charity probably did. Not sure if asking for a charity donation in a fitvof pique is a good idea for his alreadyvtarnished reputation tbh.

And unconfirmed reports suggest the cash was vaccinated anyway.
Enjoy your happy day mate. Australia is safe now.

saivet

Effectively says Tennis Australia and Victorian Governmemt believe testing positive in the past 6 months is a reason not to be vaccinated but the Federal Government disagree with this stance. These may not be the grounds on which Djokovic applied but a likely scenario.

Also mentions how the legal challenge may be if the other exemptions provided to players already in Australia is because they contracted Covid in the past 6 months.

If there are a few other players that made it through customs with the same exemption rationale/evidence as Djokovic what do people think the likely outcome will be? I genuinely don't have a clue.

ZDwyr

It's interesting because we've already had our Prime Minister flexing his muscle on Twitter by saying 'rules are rules' and that if you don't follow them then you're out. IF (probably a big if) an appeal is successful, then that will be yet another embarrassing public situation for the PM with an election upcoming. So I imagine the Fed Govt. will be very, very focused on ensuring no exemption is granted. We will see though.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Enjoy your happy day mate. Australia is safe now.
Always slightly safer when there are fewer unvaccinated people in the country. Safer still when there are fewer ant-vaxx nutters here.

I don't know why many Setbs are making this about him being Serbian. His nationality is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's interesting because we've already had our Prime Minister flexing his muscle on Twitter by saying 'rules are rules' and that if you don't follow them then you're out. IF (probably a big if) an appeal is successful, then that will be yet another embarrassing public situation for the PM with an election upcoming. So I imagine the Fed Govt. will be very, very focused on ensuring no exemption is granted. We will see though.
Whatever happens I predict #scottyfrommarketing won't actually do anything. If he's deported it is ABF or the court's decision. If he isn 't Victoria or TA (or indeed anyone who isn't #scottyfrommarketing) will be to blame.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Whatever happens I predict #scottyfrommarketing won't actually do anything. If he's deported it is ABF or the court's decision. If he isn 't Victoria or TA (or indeed anyone who isn't #scottyfrommarketing) will be to blame.
Do you type out #sfm every time or does your device know to autopopulate it immediately?

Status
Not open for further replies.