Teden Mengi | Luton

Good luck to him, remember him standing out for reserves at very young age. Hopefully he will have successful career.

Good for him, would be nice if one of our talented but injury prone defenders could actually fulfil their potential for once

How much did we get for him? Did we have a sell-on clause?

He might want to come back but he’s under contract at Luton. If they sell him it will be to whoever makes the best offer.

And who he accepts to go to…

If United wanted him they’d get him. I don’t think Luton would deny the lad the chance to return.

how’s Kabore been doing
He blows hot and cold. In some games, he's elite and such an attacking threat with his pace and power but in other games, he seems super anxious and makes loads of errors. It was his needless foul that gave Arsenal the final attack in their 4-3 win over us.

I'm not gonna be overly sad when he leaves at the end of the season but I would be gutted if we sold Mengi or Ogbene.

@Adnan @BenitoSTARR you like Yoro?

What about keeping an eye on bringing Mengi home…
Yup although I’ll reiterate I don’t think we’re the right club for Yoro’s development unless we were to go down the loan out for a year or two route.

On Mengi while it’s an impressive stat for duels we have to remember the expectation and rest periods between playing for Luton and United are vast and more importantly what Mengi lacks in terms of on the ball ability.

1v1 I’d back him in most scenarios but that’s about it.

He blows hot and cold. In some games, he's elite and such an attacking threat with his pace and power but in other games, he seems super anxious and makes loads of errors. It was his needless foul that gave Arsenal the final attack in their 4-3 win over us.

I'm not gonna be overly sad when he leaves at the end of the season but I would be gutted if we sold Mengi or Ogbene.

I think full back/wing back is a complicated position to nail down. Look at Fernandez at United, Patterson at Everton etc

Have you seen enough from him to suggest he has something?

I think full back/wing back is a complicated position to nail down. Look at Fernandez at United, Patterson at Everton etc

Have you seen enough from him to suggest he has something?
He can be good, most of his errors are those of someone that lacks experience. But I'm not too invested in him because I know he's losing at the end of the year.

Yup although I’ll reiterate I don’t think we’re the right club for Yoro’s development unless we were to go down the loan out for a year or two route.

On Mengi while it’s an impressive stat for duels we have to remember the expectation and rest periods between playing for Luton and United are vast and more importantly what Mengi lacks in terms of on the ball ability.

1v1 I’d back him in most scenarios but that’s about it.

Why you trying to gazunp me on SM then :mad:

Would give him a chance alongside someone like Todibo, instead of spending 100m on A.Silva next summer. Licha, Todibo, Mengi and one of Maguire/Lindelof for next season?

Glad to see him doing well, was highly rated in the academy.

Still, our defenders in the academy are cursed, every highly rated prospect gets screwed with injuries.

Would give him a chance alongside someone like Todibo, instead of spending 100m on A.Silva next summer. Licha, Todibo, Mengi and one of Maguire/Lindelof for next season?
Would cost at least 30-40m to get him back

He’s not on loan he was released…

Would cost at least 30-40m to get him back
Highly doubt that. I believe we have built in some sort of buy back clause, since we don't know the exact modalities of this transfer.
We could offer them one of our other youth players as a loanee.

And only Maguire is good in the air out of that lot
I didn't notice Todibo being weak in the air. Is he that weak?

Highly doubt that. I believe we have built in some sort of buy back clause, since we don't know the exact modalities of this transfer.
We could offer them one of our other youth players as a loanee.

I didn't notice Todibo being weak in the air. Is he that weak?
It’s not a strong point

@Adnan @BenitoSTARR you like Yoro?

What about keeping an eye on bringing Mengi home…
Mengi coming through the ranks always showed a high level when defending in large spaces, which imo is a bigger requirement than being strong aetially if the aim is to play a more dominant brand of football. But being young and requiring development (especially when it comes to in-possession play) meant a move away was always the right move for him imo. I haven't watched him much at Luton, but from the little I have seen of his new team, they don't rely on progressing play by playing out of a press in the build up phase but look to go direct instead to win the second balls. And that type of strategy does suit Mengi because it's a strategy that doesn't rely on him in possession to evade the press but does expect him to defend the channel in 1v1 scenarios, which he's good at.

Leny Yoro looks more accomplished on the ball already in comparison to Mengi at the sane age and is already showing a comparable level to Mengi when competing for defensive duels. And being more than 3 years younger than Mengi, he represents a better investment for the long-term imo.

Its insane sometimes thinking about how long some of these players have been at the club. Can't imagine what its like to be let go or sold when you are right on the cusp of potentially breaking into the first team, especially when at that point you've likely been at the club 10+ years. He's doing well this season though.

has there ever been any kind of confirmation of what terms we sold him? We seem to have been literally giving away our youth players recently, I would assume at the bare minimum we have a hefty sell on clause but Ive never seen any confirmation

Glad to see hes doing well, injuries always seemed to hold him back though - he's in my FPL team and even got me some unexpected points from the bench