Film Tarantino

Where is Hans “apfelstrudel” Landa aka Christoph Waltz?

There’s just something about the idea of a Tarantino Manson film that I really dislike. Possibly the fact that Manson himself wouldve fecking loved it...Possibly the fact it’s a crime that’s always been way more interesting to Hollywood types than it is to anyone else... Possibly the fact that there’s absolutely no one on earth less suited to treating a very real life tragedy with the subtly and gravitas it deserves. Eitherway it’s something I couldn’t be less enthusiastic about as a QT project, despite the great cast. I would’ve rather the Star Trek rumour be true tbh.

That said it could just as easily be a masterpiece. But as a concept it doesn’t appeal to me whatsoever. It almost sounds like a joke from The Critic.

Last edited:
:lol:

I’m not a Tarantino acolyte, just vaguely remember the hullabaloo accompanied Hateful Eight release. Didn’t know if he had released any after that, hence the question.

Tarantino counts Kill Bill as being one film as it was written, directed and edited to be one film. The studio convinced him to split it into two parts which is why people get this wrong when counting how many films he’s written and directed. He regards The Hateful Eight, as being his eighth film. The opening opening credits and all the promotional posters state it as being “The 8th Film By Quentin Tarantino.”

:lol:

I’m not a Tarantino acolyte, just vaguely remember the hullabaloo accompanied Hateful Eight release. Didn’t know if he had released any after that, hence the question.

He apparently directed something called Death Proof in 2007, which is on his Wiki filmography. Haven't seen it but there you go.

He apparently directed something called Death Proof in 2007, which is on his Wiki filmography. Haven't seen it but there you go.

You're not missing out, it's terrible. Even he says it's his worst film.

Death Proof was an homage to the B Movie horror films that Tarantino grew up watching wasn’t it? Was released with Planet Terror as a Grindhouse double. It was never meant to be of the same quality as his feature films, I thought. A kind of fun project for him and Robert Rodriguez. I enjoyed it. The “trailers” were hilarious.

Last edited:
Death proof would be the worst movie ever if not for that lap dance.

A few Tarantino works that are underrated imo

True Romance (Writer)
From Dusk til Dawn (Writer)
Four Rooms (Segment Director)

Not a big fan of Natural Born Killers

A few Tarantino works that are underrated imo

True Romance (Writer)

From Dusk til Dawn (Writer)
Four Rooms (Segment Director)

Not a big fan of Natural Born Killers
I wouldn't consider the first two as underrated.

I agree that Natural Born Killers was a poor film. I remember going to see it on release partly because Tarantino wrote it but mostly because of the hype about the level of violence. Poor.

0vyypp8wlj611.jpg

I love his passion for movies. He’s up there with Scorsese in terms of people I enjoy listening too when talking about films and film history. He can come across as obnoxious at times though.

His ability to write dialogue, create scenes and dictate pacing is immaculate and he does it so effortlessly. There are similar level directorial peers who probably work their ass off to get a tension filled scene work perfectly, whilst he seemingly just does it like second nature. I love his music choice too... I think only someone like him can put a 2Pac song in a Western and make it awesome.

I’m intrigued by his latest film and where the feck that’s going to go in terms of how close to the real events it’s going to be.

I wouldn't consider the first two as underrated.

Not underrated, but the amount of people I talk about True Romance to and they've never seen nor heard of it. My favourite movie I think.

Not underrated, but the amount of people I talk about True Romance to and they've never seen nor heard of it. My favourite movie I think.

Would it have been as good had Tarentino made it though ? In my view the casting and directing was excellent .

Would it have been as good had Tarentino made it though ? In my view the casting and directing was excellent .

Tough one. You're right yeah. Would've still been up there though, surely?

Very true. It wouldn't have been on the same level with a different cast.

For anyone who doesn't know, here's some of the cast:

Gary Oldman
Dennis Hopper
Christian Slater
Patricia Arquette
Christopher Walken
Samuel L Jackson
Brad Pitt
Val Kilmer
James Gandolfini

Absolute quality.

I love his passion for movies. He’s up there with Scorsese in terms of people I enjoy listening too when talking about films and film history. He can come across as obnoxious at times though.

His ability to write dialogue, create scenes and dictate pacing is immaculate and he does it so effortlessly. There are similar level directorial peers who probably work their ass off to get a tension filled scene work perfectly, whilst he seemingly just does it like second nature. I love his music choice too... I think only someone like him can put a 2Pac song in a Western and make it awesome.

I’m intrigued by his latest film and where the feck that’s going to go in terms of how close to the real events it’s going to be.

I'm a massive fan as well but I do think his schtick is beginning to wear a bit thin at this stage. There are only so many Pulp Fictiony type story and character combinations one can come up with before the entire thing begins to wear a bit stale. I'm also growing a bit weary of seeing the same actors in his films. That said, I'm sure this will be a pretty good watch just based on the quality of his writing alone.

Tarantino counts Kill Bill as being one film as it was written, directed and edited to be one film. The studio convinced him to split it into two parts which is why people get this wrong when counting how many films he’s written and directed. He regards The Hateful Eight, as being his eighth film. The opening opening credits and all the promotional posters state it as being “The 8th Film By Quentin Tarantino.”

Kill Bill was a beautifully shot film, but the storyline was pretty crap. It's actually his worst film (if you consider the two as one). II is worse than I which atleast had some good set-pieces.

Nothing tops Inglourious Basterds for me, though The Hateful Eight came closer than even Django Unchained. I hope this one is good.

Kill Bill was a beautifully shot film, but the storyline was pretty crap. It's actually his worst film (if you consider the two as one). II is worse than I which atleast had some good set-pieces.
The issue with Kill Bill is that its ripping off a far better film - Lady Snowblood.

Although to Tarantino credit had he not stole a ton from that film I would have never know about it.

Knowing Tarantino, I can see it being his version of Charlie’s Angels or something.

I‘d prefer it being something closer to his 90s crime stuff.