Music Stone Roses - Manchester gigs/new material

13178021_1034475629923526_8787171797263568544_n.jpg

I'm threadbanning all of the slaters, kids, wankers, the uncool and of course, plagiarists. Eat a bag of dicks you clueless fecktards.

One love motherfückers woohooooo!!

I'm threadbanning all of the slaters, kids, wankers, the uncool and of course, plagiarists. Eat a bag of dicks you clueless fecktards.

You're literally the first old school Roses fan I've come across that thinks it's amazing.

It's decent but, not a patch on what they've done previously. Certainly not worth a 22 year wait. Album will be better hopefully

Whatever they sound like, it's great to hear new stuff.

You're literally the first old school Roses fan I've come across that thinks it's amazing.

It's decent but, not a patch on what they've done previously. Certainly not worth a 22 year wait. Album will be better hopefully
It's a summer anthem. What's not to like about it? If you want floaty lyrics sang in hush tones and baggy grooves well feck off and listen to the debut from here to kingdom come.

I was into the roses when they were just a subculture. Then they became a mystique. Well now I don't care if they go mainstream and write bouncy pop songs. I like all for one, and anyone with half a brain has got to love that Squire riff and solo. So the lyrics are repetitive, but nothing new for the roses, just check out adored and this is the one.

Also, with the Euros coming up, AFO is gonna be massive, probably a crowd chant.

It's a summer anthem. What's not to like about it? If you want floaty lyrics sang in hush tones and baggy grooves well feck off and listen to the debut from here to kingdom come.

I was into the roses when they were just a subculture. Then they became a mystique. Well now I don't care if they go mainstream and write bouncy pop songs. I like all for one, and anyone with half a brain has got to love that Squire riff and solo. So the lyrics are repetitive, but nothing new for the roses, just check out adored and this is the one.

Also, with the Euros coming up, AFO is gonna be massive, probably a crowd chant.

Tbf, I'm a huge Quo fan so, that should tell you I'm not after much meaning in my songs. I like a song that sounds good and couldn't care less what the subject is about.

As I said, it's a decent tune. It's not shite but it's not, "Wow!!"

Agreed though about it being a good live number. Has a good bounce to it

I like it a lot more now I've actually heard the full version:

Radio 1 played the full song just before 8. And yep, full song defo sounds better than a lil clip.

It sounds like a Mark and Lard parody. Which is a reference somehow less dated than the song itself.

Last edited:
It's very very shit. A huge disappointment, not that I should be surprised.

It sounds like a Mark and Lard parody. Which is a reference somehow even less dated than the song itself.
Typical response from a southerner. What do you expect from 4 guys in their 50s that haven't made a record for over 20 years? It's happy, bouncy, fun...it's the fecking roses! You should be jumping up and down with your mates, joining hands and making a wall. Apologies in advance if you've lost your hands through an industrial accident or leprosy.

The song definitely gets better as it goes on... the dogtanian lyrics I am not overly keen on but feck it. I'll be bouncing around to this next month high as a kite. Bring it on! :cool:

It simply sounds like the Seahorses. The production, the guitar work, the sub-Oasis simplicity, it's obviously written by Squire when Brown has shown himself to be far and away the most creative songwriter.

"I have no desire whatsoever to desecrate the grave of seminal Manchester pop group The Stone Roses."

What changed, John?

Typical response from a southerner. What do you expect from 4 guys in their 50s that haven't made a record for over 20 years? It's happy, bouncy, fun...it's the fecking roses! You should be jumping up and down with your mates, joining hands and making a wall. Apologies in advance if you've lost your hands through an industrial accident or leprosy.

It sounds like a mediocre Britpop band. There's no sign of the swaggering groove that made them so great and the lyrics are absolutely cringeworthy.

To put things into perspective, the last time they came back after a break they came back with Love Spreads.

I was underwhelmed after hearing it on the radio last night - thought the guitar work and the shuffly beat was a bit Seahorses. After a few more listens on Spotify this morning it's properly growing on me. Nice summer anthem written with the summer gigs in mind. Bring on the album - I'm sure there will be a bit of everything on there.

Super Furry's released a comeback track too. Lyrics have a bit more about them though, "Bing Bong, Bing Bong, Bing Bong Bing"... Repeat.

I'm amazed anyone was expecting something close to their previous work. It sounds like this because of the 22 year wait.

Not the biggest Roses fan but I know a good tune when I hear one. I hope I never hear this song again.

I think you'll find Adored and This Is The One both have repetitive lyrics, and both are nailed on anthems.
The lyrics in this one make those two seem Dylan-esque. And the tunes make this one seem like Shed Seven.

It's the same band. And it shows just how sub-standard this song is.

The gap you are talking about was five years. This has been 20 odd years. It's like wondering why Dylan isn't making stuff like Blood on the Tracks anymore. This was always going to be a disappointment for anyone expecting something special.

The gap you are talking about was five years. This has been 20 odd years. It's like wondering why Dylan isn't making stuff like Blood on the Tracks anymore. This was always going to be a disappointment for anyone expecting something special.
I'm not talking about them regurgitating the style of music from 20 years ago, that's not what I'm expecting at all. I'm talking about quality. 20 years after Blood on the Tracks, Dylan was doing stuff like Time out of Mind - a different sound but still noticeably good. I'm not expecting them to write 'Adored' 2 but I was hoping for something half-decent. This isn't anywhere near half-decent. It's just shite.

It simply sounds like the Seahorses. The production, the guitar work, the sub-Oasis simplicity, it's obviously written by Squire when Brown has shown himself to be far and away the most creative songwriter.

What changed, John?

Ye I immediately thought of the Seahorses when I heard it and I wasnt a fan of that at the time - hopefully there will be a stronger Brown influence of the rest of the album

I'm amazed anyone was expecting something close to their previous work. It sounds like this because of the 22 year wait.

Maybe it's a bad comparison. I didn't expect Resurrection part 2 but, even something along the lines of The Hardest Thing In The World or Ten Storey would have been what I expected

I think you'll find Adored and This Is The One both have repetitive lyrics, and both are nailed on anthems.

Adored does have repetitive lyrics, but the difference is that it also has a slow, gradual build, from the gradual fade-in at the start to the booming vocals/guitar riffs at the end. It sounds fecking epic. This kind of just goes all over the place, and never does anything. And whatever you think of the lyrics in Adored, they're far, far better than the stuff about holding a hand and making a wall or whatever it is they are in this one.

Super Furry's released a comeback track too. Lyrics have a bit more about them though, "Bing Bong, Bing Bong, Bing Bong Bing"... Repeat.

Ha, was just about to post this. The new roses song is ok, not bad, not awesome... just a decent song.

But Bing Bong is something else :)

When it comes to the Roses, I don't think the quality of the lyrics really matters that much. Me, I love 'em for the excellent playing and for Ian's singing style.

so the first reunion announcement was 2011 wasn't it? So its taken them 5 years again to write an album

I like it and I can't wait to hear it live. Unfortunately, I don't think they could ever have written a song which would have lived up to the expectations surrounding this release, simply because of the wait. I'm sure if they do an album it'll be generally good, although I don't expect anything they do to live up to the first album, or the better parts of the second.

I like it and I can't wait to hear it live. Unfortunately, I don't think they could ever have written a song which would have lived up to the expectations surrounding this release, simply because of the wait. I'm sure if they do an album it'll be generally good, although I don't expect anything they do to live up to the first album, or the better parts of the second.
after the first reunion shows years ago people had forgotten about them. I disagree, music is in such a poor state now, if they came back with something half decent people would have been grateful for it. They could do so much better which is the annoying thing. Maybe the album will offer more

I assume this is their second single? It actually sounds great. It's certainly Second Coming worthy (or some of Brown's better solo work) and would fit well on that album in fact.

Much better than that first track. Reni doing monster drums and Squire jamming all over the top usually tends to produce something worth listening to even if it's nothing really new musically.