g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

So we get a modern, 'systems' manager. Who still plays?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
One of the reasons we were excited for ETH was that he was supposed to finally convert us from a counter-attacking team to a 'systems' team, like all the cool, modern football clubs, especially on the continent. And I think most people, seeing this season, are desperate for a different manager to do the same, hence the links to De Zerbi, Potter etc. So, looking at our squad, how many could actually play in such a thing?

For me, this is how it breaks down:
Would probably be fine: Mainoo, Mount, Antony, Amad, Martinez, Dalot, Eriksen, Hojlund, Shaw, Onana, Malacia (?)
I have my doubts: Garnacho, Varane, Lindelof, Maguire, Casemiro (age)
I don't have doubts, they'd be terrible: Bruno, Rashford, AWB, McTominay, Hannibal
Won't be here so doesn't matter: Martial, Evans, Amrabat

So I guess the question is simple: what are we supposed to do looking at that? You could argue the majority of our goals this season have come from the players least likely to be able to implement a modern system.

All it makes me realise is that I don't envy INEOS. And this is going to take years to fix.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Everybody could, depending on the chosen approach.

Rockets Redglare

What “system” though? You say a modern system but what does that even mean?

This thread is nonsensical, you’re basically saying Bruno wouldn’t work with any manager we got in which is frankly bollocks.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
What “system” though? You say a modern system but what does that even mean?

This thread is nonsensical, you’re basically saying Bruno wouldn’t work with any manager we got in which is frankly bollocks.
Okay, a more controlled, posession-based system, like everyone is after it seems. Pep, mini-Pep, what Brighton do etc. Play it out from the back, keep the ball well and dominate it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Possession based id have doubts over many of them including Hojlund. I don’t think it plays to his strengths. Ironically I think he would have been perfect in Oles counter attacking football

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Safe: Mainoo, Garnacho, Mount, Dalot, Martinez
Should be fine: Bruno (limited player in a way but overall worth keeping him), Amad
Have to get rid of: Casemiro, Varane, Eriksen, Amrabat, Wan Bissaka.
The rest I think are in danger and I care very little about them. I would like to keep Shaw but it he's unreliable so would make sense to get rid.

Red Regista

We're apparently not getting a modern 'Systems manager' though.
Looks like INEOS want Southgate who will be a desaster at United.

Tuchel is a bit of an intermediate, between the 'old school managers' like Ancelotti, Mourinho etc. that have been around for 30 years and the 'new school', Alonso, Motta, De Zerbi etc.

I wrote it in many threads, I'll write it again, we need to change to a 3-4-2-1 imo.

3 CBs would give us so much more stability at the back, especially as we're not getting two new world class CBs over the next two summers, maybe one in Bremer, but maybe none, so with what we've got 3 at the back is the way to go, plus the two wing backs offer great tactical flexibility, essentially acting as full backs defensively, giving us 5 at the back when needed and playing as wingers in attack, similar to what Frimpong, Davies and Di Marco are doing.

two central midfielders who are good with the balll at their feet and won't push up too much will be enough to control midfield. A high workrate is key here.

Up front you've got two technically gifted players who operate in a bit of a free role with a classic striker up front.

It could be something like this:

------------------------------------------------------Hojlund--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------B. Fernandes-------------------------------Garnacho-----------------------------------------

new WB (maybe Davies)--------------Mainoo-------------new CM (maybe Palhinha)------------Dalot

------------------L. Martinez---------------Maguire--------------new CB (maybe Bremer or Branthwaite)

----------------------------------------------------Onana------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onana
Martinez
Dalot
Shaw
Mainoo?
Fernandes
Garnacho
Hojlund
Antony

Assuming Varane and Casemiro will be gone by then.

Anyway Ten Hag was a systems manager. He realised we don't have the players to play a system so he ditched it. The next manager will probably end up doing the same.

tomaldinho1

We just need someone who can coach a high press, feck high possession for the sake of mitigating risk, it's overrated in knock out cups and insanely expensive to build a squad to win with domestically.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
We just need someone who can coach a high press, feck high possession for the sake of mitigating risk, it's overrated in knock out cups and insanely expensive to build a squad to win with domestically.
This, especially when the majority of the squad thrives in those conditions.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
One of the reasons we were excited for ETH was that he was supposed to finally convert us from a counter-attacking team to a 'systems' team, like all the cool, modern football clubs, especially on the continent. And I think most people, seeing this season, are desperate for a different manager to do the same, hence the links to De Zerbi, Potter etc. So, looking at our squad, how many could actually play in such a thing?

Would probably be fine: Mainoo, Mount, Antony, Amad, Martinez, Dalot, Eriksen, Hojlund, Shaw, Onana, Malacia (?)
I don't have doubts, they'd be terrible: Bruno, Rashford, AWB, McTominay, Hannibal

So I guess the question is simple: what are we supposed to do looking at that? You could argue the majority of our goals this season have come from the players least likely to be able to implement a modern system.

All it makes me realise is that I don't envy INEOS. And this is going to take years to fix.
I'm sure Garnacho will be fine in most systems, unless you're deploying 3-5-2 with wingbacks.

RoyH1

Lisandro, Dalot, Garnacho, Mainoo and possibly even Bruno should be ok in most systems and with the right manager. Højlund and Casemiro could work too if there's the right recruitment and they have the right players next to them. But that process will take more than a couple of offseasons.

ROFLUTION

I highly doubt Bruno wouldn't work in a system. It gets blown out of proportion that he takes too many chances and loses the ball too much. Yes, he probably does that, but he's also instructed in some ways to take these chances.

If Grealish is able to adapt to such a system, Bruno is too. (He's still our best player btw)

Denis79

Possession based id have doubts over many of them including Hojlund. I don’t think it plays to his strengths. Ironically I think he would have been perfect in Oles counter attacking football
A buddy of mine said the same thing the other day and I'm starting to think you're both right.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Depends on the system, depends who we buy, depends who we sell, depends who is fit... Whatever the system, there are a few things that I see:
  • Garnacho will play, he is the type of winger that all managers love to develop
  • Mainoo will play, whether it is as a deep playmaker or a more advanced player
  • Only one of Bruno or Mount can be in the team, there is no balance with both. Pretty obvious which one will be favored but there is also interest from other clubs to consider and what that player wants, what system the new manager wants (neither fits into a 3-4-3 for example, unless they are used as part of the front 3 which I just feel like we have better options)
  • Dalot will play, whether that's as a RWB or RB.
The rest of the squad is a big question mark. In the even that we get someone like Tuchel in, then a 3-4-3 like this could work?
  • GK - Onana is fine
  • RCB - new player needed
  • CB - new player needed
  • LCB - Martinez/Shaw
  • RWB - Dalot
  • CM - Mainoo
  • CM - new player needed
  • LWB - New player needed
  • Winger (wide forward) - Garnacho/Rashford (if he gets his head out of his ass)
  • Winger (creator) - Mount/Bruno/Amad
  • CF - Hojlund/New CF
Not much changes for other formations though, where we still need new CB's, a Mainoo partner, and a left back and a new striker, and the same players are probably fine in our squad regardless.

Yakuza_devils

Stopped reading when I saw Antony in the “would be fine” category
Actually Antony really will be much better in a "system" like he used to be at Ajax. Same goes to Sancho.

Why he struggle here is that ETH game now is end to end with individual brilliance as main play.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Our younger players would definitely play a prominent role imo. Its also encouraging to see squads like Dortmund reaching the CL final (with two of last year's United players no less), as it just proves that a good manager and system can get a squad punching well above their collective weight.