Film Sight and Sound's 100 Greatest Films of All Time - decennial update!

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Sight and Sound recently updated their famous top 100, which only happens every 10 years. There are some big surprises this time! The list: https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/greatest-films-all-time

The New York Times made a really good visualisation for the list throughout history. It's free but you need to provide an email address(no verification needed). I really recommend it: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/12/02/arts/sight-and-sound-best-movies-of-all-time.html

What do you think about the new list? Did they go too far? Moonlight is in there! And Bergman only has one film in the top 100 now! :eek:

Essentially no good films were made after about the mid 90s.

That actually sounds about right.

Sight and Sound recently updated their famous top 100, which only happens every 10 years. There are some big surprises this time! The list: https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/greatest-films-all-time

The New York Times made a really good visualisation for the list throughout history. It's free but you need to provide an email address(no verification needed). I really recommend it: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/12/02/arts/sight-and-sound-best-movies-of-all-time.html

What do you think about the new list? Did they go too far? Moonlight is in there! And Bergman only has one film in the top 100 now! :eek:

The hipster movement took their inspiration from this list.

I just cant take a list that leaves out anything after 1990 seriusly. Not including Shawshank Redemption in the top100 is just angsty critic voting

This list is the inspiration for the The Tweed suit and what Brandy is distilled on.

Its a lil' pretentious

I just cant take a list that leaves out anything after 1990 seriusly.

Actually there are 17 films made after 1990. And 3 of them are from the last 5 years. That sounds about right to me? With perfectly balanced distribution it would probably be closer to 30, but it makes sense that a certain amount of spots are reserved for the classics.

Wtf is that bullshit at number 1? And Vertigo is good but not the second best film ever made.

The list is better than I thought it would be but it screams pretentious for the most part.

Wtf is that bullshit at number 1?

I was shocked myself. Usually I've at least heard about these films, but not this time.

The list is better than I thought it would be but it screams pretentious for the most part.

Film critics gonna film critic I guess. IMDB will always be the voice of the people. And by people I mean men in their 30's, 40's and early 50's :lol:

Wtf is that bullshit at number 1? And Vertigo is good but not the second best film ever made.

Great film but I doubt more than 5 people here will keep watching it after the first 30 minutes.

I've said this story before here on this forum but I'll say it again...

On the first day of my filmmaking MA, we had to stand in front of the class and talk about our favourite film.

Every other student got up and mentioned random new wave French cinema and so much other BS that I never heard of...

At that moment I knew I was in for a whole year of cnuty pretentious feckers that will have no fun.

They had no fun. I did have fun... And I finished with the highest grade overall :lol:

On the first day of my filmmaking MA, we had to stand in front of the class and talk about our favourite film.

Every other student got up and mentioned random new wave French cinema and so much other BS that I never heard of...

At that moment I knew I was in for a whole year of cnuty pretentious feckers that will have no fun.

They had no fun. I did have fun... And I finished with the highest grade overall :lol:

I love stories like that :lol:

Not quite the same thing, but I remember back when I was around 13 years old and me and my best friend at the time were going to our first party. He was the type of guy who over-analysed everything and really wanted everyone to like him. Since we weren't among the popular kids he wanted to be prepared(:lol:) in case one of the cool kids talked to us. One of the things he prepared was what to answer if someone asked him what his favorite song is. I don't remember the song, but he genuinely thought long and hard about what he could answer to optimise his chances of having the cool kids accept the answer. When he asked me what I was going to answer if they asked me the same thing, I simply said The Real Slim Shady. This made my friend freak out because the song was more than a year old at the time, which made the answer social suicide according to him. He nearly started to cry in anticipation of the ruthless bullying I was sure to suffer. He begged me to reconsider, but I was a stubborn kid who couldn't stand the idea of changing in order to be liked.

This was almost the first thing to happen at the party:

Cool kid: what are you listening to these days?
My friend: *the song I can't remember*
Cool kid: I'm really sick of that song. What about you?
Me: Slim Shady.
Cool kid: I love that. It's old, but I still like it. I think it's very underrated.

In fairness, I think this is because you're taught to see things that way during BA Film/Film Studies courses (assuming they moved over to the MA after). People will be introduced to a range of films through their course and lots will stand out as unique. Ultimately the exotic appeal makes them seem more interesting (overrated perhaps).

There's no excuse for 50 year old film critics still having these opinions though. At least branch out a bit fellas.

Last edited:

Bet some of those feckers secretly love Robocop.

Solid list overall. Quite like it. Can’t judge the number one, though.

I love stories like that :lol:

Not quite the same thing, but I remember back when I was around 13 years old and me and my best friend at the time were going to our first party. He was the type of guy who over-analysed everything and really wanted everyone to like him. Since we weren't among the popular kids he wanted to be prepared(:lol:) in case one of the cool kids talked to us. One of the things he prepared was what to answer if someone asked him what his favorite song is. I don't remember the song, but he genuinely thought long and hard about what he could answer to optimise his chances of having the cool kids accept the answer. When he asked me what I was going to answer if they asked me the same thing, I simply said The Real Slim Shady. This made my friend freak out because the song was more than a year old at the time, which made the answer social suicide according to him. He nearly started to cry in anticipation of the ruthless bullying I was sure to suffer. He begged me to reconsider, but I was a stubborn kid who couldn't stand the idea of changing in order to be liked.

This was almost the first thing to happen at the party:

Cool kid: what are you listening to these days?
My friend: *the song I can't remember*
Cool kid: I'm really sick of that song. What about you?
Me: Slim Shady.
Cool kid: I love that. It's old, but I still like it. I think it's very underrated.
:lol:
Bet some of those feckers secretly love Robocop.
Mate, they hadn't even heard of Con Air, RoboCop, Predator etc... They did by the end of the course though as I just kept banging on about these mainstream films.

They all thought my taste was shit and I'm an idiot (both probably correct) but whatever! I like what I like :lol:

Mate, they hadn't even heard of Con Air, RoboCop, Predator etc... They did by the end of the course though as I just kept banging on about these mainstream films.

They all thought my taste was shit and I'm an idiot (both probably correct) but whatever! I like what I like :lol:
:lol:Dissecting the 'bitches leave' scene in your class presentation.

I mean, I know you like to tell this cos it makes for a fun story pitching film nerds vs random filmgoers, but loads of the films in that list, or in general considered as classics, are "fun" if you're a fan of filmmaking. I find this ridiculing of film buffs just as ridiculous and counter productive as the reverse situation.

I tend to believe that when films are made with love, they end up being enjoyable, even if they're not necessarily super accessible straight away. I think Lynch is an amazingly fun director for example, who just enjoys the art of filmmaking.

ye2hjxlyud121.jpg

EaNH-lxXsAAgmb_.jpg

I also find it very hard to believe your classmates hadn't heard of Robocop (Verhoeven is massively appreciated by film critics, and if anything, his films are misunderstood by the general public) or Predator (a seminal action film). Con Air I can get, it's a fun yet unimportant film.

Anyway, it's not really against you personally, I just find the ridiculing of "film nerds" a bit tiresome, there's loads of way to enjoy cinema which is why it's such a beautiful art.

As for this list, I think it's the first time I've seen such a list with the #1 spot occupied by a film I've never even heard about before :lol:

I mean, I know you like to tell this cos it makes for a fun story pitching film nerds vs random filmgoers, but loads of the films in that list, or in general considered as classics, are "fun" if you're a fan of filmmaking. I find this ridiculing of film buffs just as ridiculous and counter productive as the reverse situation.

I tend to believe that when films are made with love, they end up being enjoyable, even if they're not necessarily super accessible straight away. I think Lynch is an amazingly fun director for example, who just enjoys the art of filmmaking.

ye2hjxlyud121.jpg

EaNH-lxXsAAgmb_.jpg

I also find it very hard to believe your classmates hadn't heard of Robocop (Verhoeven is massively appreciated by film critics, and if anything, his films are misunderstood by the general public) or Predator (a seminal action film). Con Air I can get, it's a fun yet unimportant film.

Anyway, it's not really against you personally, I just find the ridiculing of "film nerds" a bit tiresome, there's loads of way to enjoy cinema which is why it's such a beautiful art.

As for this list, I think it's the first time I've seen such a list with the #1 spot occupied by a film I've never even heard about before :lol:
I was exaggerating a bit. They did know if Predator but had never seen it or Robocop. I was baffled. To be fair, I'm ridiculing film nerds as much as they ridiculed me for my taste... It's all fun and banter at the end of the day.

I do like me some higher brow films too. Cache, Synecdoche New York, Roshomon etc... I just also think there's room for all the other stuff too.

As for the bolded part... Eat my ass. It's important to me goddammit :(

ye2hjxlyud121.jpg

EaNH-lxXsAAgmb_.jpg

Likewise, the condescension and talking down to others that some film nerds relish in is also extremely tiresome. I worked in a theatre when I was a teenager and there was one of those arrogant types working there who thought he was smarter than everyone else. It was extremely exhausting to hear lectures about all of us not having heard of some film like #1 on this list. It wasn't fun because it wasn't a lively exchange of ideas and opinions but one person constantly trying to one-up everyone else and always tell them they were wrong to like whatever they liked (this was 1994 so the dude was constantly telling us how Pulp Fiction sucked and people that liked it were idiots).

I don't think I can stand for this denigration of French new wave :mad:

Likewise, the condescension and talking down to others that some film nerds relish in is also extremely tiresome. I worked in a theatre when I was a teenager and there was one of those arrogant types working there who thought he was smarter than everyone else. It was extremely exhausting to hear lectures about all of us not having heard of some film like #1 on this list. It wasn't fun because it wasn't a lively exchange of ideas and opinions but one person constantly trying to one-up everyone else and always tell them they were wrong to like whatever they liked (this was 1994 so the dude was constantly telling us how Pulp Fiction sucked and people that liked it were idiots).
Same with music too. I can't stand film / music / game / art snobs that so furiously distance themselves from a piece of media just because a lot of people like it. Like they can't digest appreciating something 'popular' and need to embark on a condescending drivel based lecture on why 'everyone' else is wrong. Tossers. Sometimes things are popular because they're good, not because everyone else is wrong.

that #1 has really come from nowhere, i remember i think it was the 2018 version of this list, because I started watching everything i hadn't seen starting at 1, and got to about 30, and it definitely wasn't even in the top 30 then.

can't argue with some of these movies though - tokyo story would be considered a 'pretentious' pick because it's a relatively obscure 50s movie from japan, but it's absolutely brilliant. as is 2001, in the mood for love, and quite a few of them near the top. some are admittedly a harder watch than others.

What makes a film a "pretentious" choice in this context?

What makes a film a "pretentious" choice in this context?
If you watch an acclaimed movie and didn’t like it, it’s pretentious and everyone claiming to enjoy it is just pretending.

If you watch an acclaimed movie and didn’t like it, it’s pretentious and everyone claiming to enjoy it is just pretending.

Pfff, look at you talking about actually watching acclaimed films before deciding they're pretentious. Go back to film school film boy.

Yeah I think @Sweet Square has admitted to liking that one
Imo Verhoeven is the perfect blend of main stream cinema but with actual substance. Robocop, Total Recall, Basic Instinct, Showgirls and Starship Troopers is one of the best runs of all time. Also the guy has still got it as Benedetta is brilliant film.

In between repeat watching Children of Men interminably.

I’ve yet to see it get one nomination. Pure madness.

D8ADfYtX4AAT59P.jpg