Shaw is our best full back and best FB in Europe (edited)

It vindicates the decision to take him, which Southgate has been ridiculed for.

Missed so many months, first start playing against one of the tricky winger in Europe and did very well. He is such a natural player.

Doubt he can keep up for entire game, he has barely played in months.

Fantastic performance considering how long he has been out.

Really good first half but one pivotal moment of switching off and just generally being on his heels. I can kind of forgive it for being out so long but that's the typical Shaw that we've known for years. He has bags of ability but when he has moments where he switches off and just doesn't move enough (backwards or forwards), he's a liability.

There's no point being good for 3-4 moments in a game because a player that can have 10-15 average moments in a game is more 'effective' imo.

I really wish he comes back to full fitness and can be firing on all cylinders but with his record (injuries and performances), I think it's better to put hope in us signing another player like Kadıoğlu.

Good first half but he looked burst in the second. Should have been subbed.

Shaw should head straight back to Carrington and work on his fitness.

I hate to say it, but you are not "the best" if you are so injury-prone that nobody expects you to play even half of a season. We need to move forward and sign a quality left back who can actually stay fit

Really good first half but one pivotal moment of switching off and just generally being on his heels. I can kind of forgive it for being out so long but that's the typical Shaw that we've known for years. He has bags of ability but when he has moments where he switches off and just doesn't move enough (backwards or forwards), he's a liability.

There's no point being good for 3-4 moments in a game because a player that can have 10-15 average moments in a game is more 'effective' imo.

I really wish he comes back to full fitness and can be firing on all cylinders but with his record (injuries and performances), I think it's better to put hope in us signing another player like Kadıoğlu.

I don't think Shaw switched off per se for Spain's first goal. The general trend was after the break Yamal drifted in and out a lot and that created havoc in the space between the back line and midfield. Fortunately for England Guehi stepped up -- Spain would have been running away with it otherwise.

I don't think Shaw switched off per se for Spain's first goal. The general trend was after the break Yamal drifted in and out a lot and that created havoc in the space between the back line and midfield. Fortunately for England Guehi stepped up -- Spain would have been running away with it otherwise.
It wasnt Shaw's fault, whole England line collapsed for that goal, first Bellingham fell asleep and then Shaw was out of position cause of this. Carvajal played first time too which sort of accelerated the whole thing. Had he stopped the ball there wouldn't be a goal cause he'd get closed.

Last edited:
It wasnt Shaw's fault, whole England line collapsed for that goal, first Bellingham feel asleep and then Shaw was out of position cause of this. Carvajal played first time too which sort of accelerated the whole thing. Had he stopped the ball there wouldn't be a goal cause he'd get closed.

Yeah, agreed. A deadly combination of it being so early in the second half, Carvajal playing the ball first time and Yamal drifting in caught England so off guard and created a very lopsided overload.

Shaw brought a nice balance to the team. It'll be like a new signing having him back next season.

I would be disappointed if we don't buy a first choice LB this transfer window. In his 10 seasons with the club he has managed only 191 PL appearances. That's approximately 19 games in a season. We cannot hope to have a solid defense if our LB misses half the games in a season on average. He should be a back-up for the LB and the LCB spot and nothing more.

I hate to say it, but you are not "the best" if you are so injury-prone that nobody expects you to play even half of a season. We need to move forward and sign a quality left back who can actually stay fit

We could buy another left back and keep shaw and manage his game time better. It doesn’t matter where he signs, he won’t be able to play 90 after 90, he’s got to be managed. Quality option in the squad though.

He can be so, so good, but clearly lacks the ability to score or assist as much as he should with all that ability.

I think we need to change our approach to players like Shaw, he's unreliable and we'd be better off with a less talented player that's available 90% of the time instead of 50% (or whatever we've had from Shaw).

Competition for places needs to be where you just lose your place when out injured and it's hard to get back in. Fortunately for Shaw we've had bigger issues elsewhere in the squad to recruit in, and the left back we have signed has been injured and probably isn't good enough to display him permanently anyway.

For all the talk of how technically good he is, he's really not all that in the final third. For whatever reason he lacks the confidence and decision making once he gets in those positions.

We absolutely need a new left back.

It wasnt Shaw's fault, whole England line collapsed for that goal, first Bellingham fell asleep and then Shaw was out of position cause of this. Carvajal played first time too which sort of accelerated the whole thing. Had he stopped the ball there wouldn't be a goal cause he'd get closed.

Shaw went walkies towards Carvajal/leaving Yamal free for absolutely no reason. Has nothing to do with Bellingham, who was already closing down Carvajal and getting goal side. As a defender with the whole pitch in front of you, it is your job to keep a player in front of you and not go charging forwards to another player/letting someone else deal with Yamal. If you want to give benefit of the doubt because he's been out for so long fair enough but he has many previous history of getting square and going into no man's land. It's very typical Shaw-esque defending we've seen over the years.

I would be disappointed if we don't buy a first choice LB this transfer window. In his 10 seasons with the club he has managed only 191 PL appearances. That's approximately 19 games in a season. We cannot hope to have a solid defense if our LB misses half the games in a season on average. He should be a back-up for the LB and the LCB spot and nothing more.

In all fairness, we should take into account the horror injury from the savage tackle that took Shaw out for at least a year.

The two main issues Shaw has are laziness and injuries. Laziness because he tends to coast sometimes and get too comfortable. This is why everytime we sign a new player, to challenge him, he'll up his level, relegate them to the bench then go back to coasting again. Shame as without these he's a legit world class talent.

Shaw brought a nice balance to the team. It'll be like a new signing having him back next season.
We should just stop buying players as we have so many “like a new signing” back next season.
Shaw
Martinez
Mount
Rashford :rolleyes:

In all fairness, we should take into account the horror injury from the savage tackle that took Shaw out for at least a year.

It doesn't matter the cause, the reality is the reality, talking about that won't change the fact he's completely unreliable.

Fully expect the same issues from him this upcoming season.

When he's fit and up for it he's absolutely brilliant, but that doesn't happen enough and it costs us big time.

Said this in another fullback thread. Hard to plan around a fullback that’s not fit enough to play over 70% of games in a season or Play with enough intensity through the entire game.

Shaw would need to play a whole season to catch up with Marital’s appearance record despite joining a season earlier than Tony M.

Would be folly to reply on him next season

Last edited:

Even if we look at the last 5 seasons he has averaged under 24 games/season. Only two 30+ game seasons and one season where he played 29 games in the last 10 seasons. Evra who was our last great LB averaged ~33games/season in his eight full seasons at the club. That's a 9 games on average difference /season. Evra played 30 or more games in 7 of those 8 seasons. We need a new LB if we hope to have a solid back 4, it's simple.

No point calling him the best fullback when he isn’t even available half the year almost every year. The key to being the best is consistency and he isn’t even fit continuously let alone performing continuously.

No point calling him the best fullback when he isn’t even available half the year almost every year. The key to being the best is consistency and he isn’t even fit continuously let alone performing continuously.
Of course you can still be the best - just being injured often doesn’t mean you can’t be considered the best. He’s consistent when he IS playing.

Best in the world when (fit)

Robertson is better than him and also consistently available. So he isn’t even the best LB in the league, let alone Europe.

Of course you can still be the best - just being injured often doesn’t mean you can’t be considered the best. He’s consistent when he IS playing.

Nah this isn't really accurate. He's had plenty of woeful spells for us. At one point Brandon Williams was comfortably more worthy of starting than him for heaven's sake. It's a rewriting of history to say when he's fit he's always great, that's not reality.