Television Shōgun (FX Networks series) - premieres February 27, 2024

just getting into this

I didn't know people in medieval Japan had such an insatiable desire to top themselves, it's all anyone talks about

Finally got around to watching this. Shogun was one of my favourite books when I was a kid, must've re-read it 50 times.

I really like the show, I just wish they had included more small details from the book. I feel like the beginning was very rushed, particularly the culture clash between the europeans and the japanese and the faith of the crew. Really well build in the books but that's just my opinion. Besides that, very beautifully shot and done. Not finished it yet but new seasons with original writing sound like trouble.

Also the actress that plays Mariko is stunning.

Last edited:
Finally got around to watching this. Shogun was one of my favourite books when I was a kid, must've re-read it 50 times.

I really like the show, I just wish they had included more small details from the book. I feel like the beginning was very rushed, particularly the culture clash between the europeans and the japanese and the faith of the crew. Really well build in the books but that's just my opinion. Besides that, very beautifully shot and done. Not finished it yet but new seasons with original writing sound like trouble.

Also the actress that plays Mariko is stunning.
Exactly the same for me, read it till the book literally fell apart. There were lots of things that I wish had been included, but the ending is what I missed the most. The last paragraph is brutal (physically/emotionally/etc.) and I was so excited to see it play out on screen.

Three days later Ishido was captured alive and Toranaga genially reminded him of the prophecy and sent him in chains to Osaka for public viewing, ordering the eta to plant the General Lord Ishido’s feet firm in the earth, with only his head outside the earth, and to invite passersby to saw at the most famous neck in the realm with a bamboo saw. Ishido lingered three days and died very old.

Exactly the same for me, read it till the book literally fell apart. There were lots of things that I wish had been included, but the ending is what I missed the most. The last paragraph is brutal (physically/emotionally/etc.) and I was so excited to see it play out on screen.

Three days later Ishido was captured alive and Toranaga genially reminded him of the prophecy and sent him in chains to Osaka for public viewing, ordering the eta to plant the General Lord Ishido’s feet firm in the earth, with only his head outside the earth, and to invite passersby to saw at the most famous neck in the realm with a bamboo saw. Ishido lingered three days and died very old.

Season 2 bitch!

Season 2 bitch!

The season ended with only the 2 paragraph epilogue from the book remaining. I'm not too hopeful for the second season, there is a large graveyard of shows that tried to tack on original content to existing IP.

The season ended with only the 2 paragraph epilogue from the book remaining. I'm not too hopeful for the second season, there is a large graveyard of shows that tried to tack on original content to existing IP.

I am also not hopeful. This is a classic case of something being really well received, and the writers leaving just enough wiggle room to continue it if it was a success. It will almost certainly be a victim of that success when they have to write and produce a whole season without any source material. I’m getting Game of Thrones season 8 vibes.

just getting into this

I didn't know people in medieval Japan had such an insatiable desire to top themselves, it's all anyone talks about
I started this last week and was coming her to post the same. Fell into the sea? Top yourself. Got caught by a 12 year old kid? Top yourself. Stubbed your toe? Top yourself.

I started this last week and was coming her to post the same. Fell into the sea? Top yourself. Got caught by a 12 year old kid? Top yourself. Stubbed your toe? Top yourself.

A lot of "pillowing" though! :D

I read an article written by an historian a few weeks back. The TLDR is that Shogun, much like other similar works of fiction (even when based on true events), suffers from orientalism. Seppuku is undeniably interesting and from a purely literary point of view it makes sense to write a story "around" it. But it was not nearly as common as Shogun makes it seem.

I have not read the book or watched the 1980's TV series, but I think the new version is less orientalist? I never really felt that John was the protagonist and that certainly helps.