Saudi signing wave: What are the implications? Is it weakening the Premier League?

Look, let's not be stupidly naive here. There are only three relevant questions:

1) Are they seriously attempting to buy themselves a top league (as in: a league that will, before too long, become an actual top league; something that can't be denied, a force to be reckoned with, etc.)?

2) Do they have the money to accomplish this?

3) Will the relevant football authorities allow them to change the "landscape" as we know it?

The answer to your first 2 questions is emphatically yes, no probably about it.

Many people don’t actually realise how little of their available funds they’ve used thus far for this. This is, genuinely, the tip of the iceberg.

And yes, they are as serious as this being Government policy

Many people are erroneously viewing it as the whim of some billionaire as though it’s a club takeover - it isn’t. It’s a government who have planned, to a letter, how to steer their country using sport, art, leisure and tourism into the future.

Last edited:
It’s a government who have planned, to a letter, how to steer their country using sport, art, leisure and tourism into the future.

Yes, correct.

That's why it's so significant.

And also, one could say, why it is not comparable to China.

China is a superpower. The Chinese league was never a project the future of the country depended on in any shape or form. And it was essentially shut down from above because it just wasn't serving any truly useful purpose.

Saudi Arabia, on the other hand: Like I said above, I don't think they're investing this much in "phase 1" unless they're willing to go (much) further.

I’m curious to know if there’s any correlation between age and opinions on this subject. The main crux of the argument for, seems to be about the untold wealth on offer. For some, not most, a hundred million or more versus tens of millions.

I understand players at the end of their career doing it. They’ve achieved all they need to. But young players, just for the money…..I think they will regret it more than they currently have any capacity to realise.

As someone who has made a fair dollop of cash in his life - nothing like a pro footballer - I can say that the older I get, the less important I see the money, and the more I look back at the things I sacrificed to have the career I did. As you slowly gain a real sense of your own mortality - which really doesn’t exist in your 20s and 30s - you start to feel more and more like it’s what you did in your life that matters, not how much you made.

Don’t get me wrong. Money helps life be better. Easier in many, many ways, but the old cliche that money doesn’t make you happy, is so true. To tank your career for massive money, when you could make relatively massive money anyway, and achieve a real legacy and achievement, is something I think some of these younger players will come to regret.

The idea that it’s purely a mathematical or financial equation, is painfully naive. The only thing you can’t get back, is time.
You're possibly right, but probably not for the reasons you think. I think there has always been this extreme need to judge people from older generations, what do you do for work? Where did you study? How much do you make? etc all questions that form the basis of judging someone. My grandad for example will call anyone a 'good lad' if they spent any time in the military. I think younger generations see the person instead, and don't feel the need to judge people based on their decision making.

Personally, if I had a legitimate chance of playing for one of the biggest teams in the world and winning major silverware then I'd definitely turn down a move to Saudi but if I knew for whatever reason that I wasn't at that level or I would never get that chance then I might as well move and make daft money playing for Al-Nassar instead of getting a load of shit every week at the likes of West Ham where reality and expectations don't match. Worst case scenario I can move back in a couple of seasons and take a super low salary comparably to play at a bigger team because I've made a careers worth of cash in 3 seasons.

And from what we're seeing, their league is going to become quite competitive so I don't think any career's will tank. It's not the step down people think it is.

Yes, correct.

That's why it's so significant.

And also, one could say, why it is not comparable to China.

China is a superpower. The Chinese league was never a project the future of the country depended on in any shape or form. And it was essentially shut down from above because it just wasn't serving any truly useful purpose.

Saudi Arabia, on the other hand: Like I said above, I don't think they're investing this much in "phase 1" unless they're willing to go (much) further.

Absolutely, good points and well put.

It’s the 4th league now?

PL, Spain, Italy , then Saudi?

Only a matter of time before their games are on ITV for free?

I’m curious to know if there’s any correlation between age and opinions on this subject. The main crux of the argument for, seems to be about the untold wealth on offer. For some, not most, a hundred million or more versus tens of millions.

I understand players at the end of their career doing it. They’ve achieved all they need to. But young players, just for the money…..I think they will regret it more than they currently have any capacity to realise.

As someone who has made a fair dollop of cash in his life - nothing like a pro footballer - I can say that the older I get, the less important I see the money, and the more I look back at the things I sacrificed to have the career I did. As you slowly gain a real sense of your own mortality - which really doesn’t exist in your 20s and 30s - you start to feel more and more like it’s what you did in your life that matters, not how much you made.

Don’t get me wrong. Money helps life be better. Easier in many, many ways, but the old cliche that money doesn’t make you happy, is so true. To tank your career for massive money, when you could make relatively massive money anyway, and achieve a real legacy and achievement, is something I think some of these younger players will come to regret.

The idea that it’s purely a mathematical or financial equation, is painfully naive. The only thing you can’t get back, is time.
You make a number of very good points
- I think they will regret it more than they currently have any capacity to realise (ie. would you rather win 3 CL with a club and still be worth 2m at the end of your career or win feck all (other than a Saudi title) but have 200m in your account). Both have more than enough to live comfortably.
- Money helps life be better. Easier in many, many ways: 100%. Money doesn't buy health and happiness, nor does it bring loved ones back or help you fix the relationships you've broken along the way.

But the the flip side to that argument, and I might be assuming incorrectly, is that your earned your money and slowly accumulated your wealth. You've learned to live with your growing wealth and have put away a nice nest egg to live off comfortably. But in your statement you're forgetting that a lot of footballer don't spend or save like you have done. A lot come from a non-wealthy background and get given huge amounts that they can't get their head around and aren't financially advised correctly (or refuse to listen to the advice). They spend like they'll earn what they do for decades, when reality is it's only a short period of their lives. I'd be guessing 95% of professional footballers don't earn the big contracts that we read about and are earned at clubs like United etc. I think Mendy (the city footballer) didn't have the funds to pay for his legal fees and had to sell his home despite earning millions (probably had back-payments due from city etc, but you get my drift).

Hence, whilst I completely get what you're saying, most footballers probably don't have the life we assume they do when they retire as they don't have the money in the account they once had.

Sergio Ramos has turned down an offer to Saudi and instead signed for Sevilla, where he'll earn 1/15th of what he would've earned in Saudi according to Romano [Twitter].

Quite a few names that you may have expected to end up there have surprisingly rejected them, Mbappe, Ramos, Salah (TBD), our very own Amrabat.

Are these a drop in the ocean with the tide having clearly already turned? Or could they be a sign that at least for the foreseeable future there are clear limits to what astronomical money can actually buy (as long as there's no UCL participation).

Sergio Ramos has turned down an offer to Saudi and instead signed for Sevilla, where he'll earn 1/15th of what he would've earned in Saudi according to Romano [Twitter].

Quite a few names that you may have expected to end up there have surprisingly rejected them, Mbappe, Ramos, Salah (TBD), our very own Amrabat.

Are these a drop in the ocean with the tide having clearly already turned? Or could they be a sign that at least for the foreseeable future there are clear limits to what astronomical money can actually buy (as long as there's no UCL participation).
They are all minted already bar Amrabat who now has his first shot at a big club and top wages instead.

Ramos has won everything, tasted the "last huge payday" at PSG and ultimately chooses to return to Sevilla (were it all started) instead of, err, "more money, wahey!". Sensible choice really, I wouldn't read much into it about the Saudis, the decision is ultimately about himself and his legacy. No, nothing to do with not tainting it but furthering it.

Agree 100%. As I usually tell kids readily sacrificing the important stuff: don't rush through life, you'll only get nowhere faster.

Mbappé is too big for the league, that's not really any slight on it but he's massively well paid already at PSG and would probably only move for Real Madrid/Barca. Salah will still go I reckon, it's just bad timing. He's just started the season and committed and would ruin his Liverpool legacy to leave after the window was shut, the offer came in far too late. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go next summer. Amrabat just seemed set on us, but again wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there in 2-3 years.

It’s the 4th league now?

4th league in terms of what? Quality, no way. There's only 4 maybe 5 teams that have / can afford well known foreign players. Even those teams wouldn't be any great against European teams. They will need to buy a lot more players if they want better quality.

4th league in terms of what? Quality, no way. There's only 4 maybe 5 teams that have / can afford well known foreign players. Even those teams wouldn't be any great against European teams. They will need to buy a lot more players if they want better quality.

Al Nasr would beat us right now I reckon...

When will the Saudi league be on UK TV? Can't be long now surely?

"The Saudi steel company "SABIC" will take over the pro club al-Ettifaq."* Revenue $31.3 billion

"The "STC Group" (Telekom KSA) will take over a large part of the shares and the advertising of the Pro-Club al-Shabab." Revenue $15.7 billion

For me there was no doubt that the small clubs would also be supported at some point. But I didn't expect this company. I thought PIF would take care of that at first.

So what does the 20 billion that has been made available to the Ministry of Sports for football mean?

Do the companies also get something from it, or do "SABIC" and "STC" alone bear the costs for the salaries of Henderson, Carrasco and co.?

If these 20 billion are only intended for the top 4 clubs, then they will definitely remain unattainable in football for all time.

*I can't paste the source. It is a well-known Saudi journalist on Twitter

"The Saudi steel company "SABIC" will take over the pro club al-Ettifaq."* Revenue $31.3 billion

"The "STC Group" (Telekom KSA) will take over a large part of the shares and the advertising of the Pro-Club al-Shabab." Revenue $15.7 billion

For me there was no doubt that the small clubs would also be supported at some point. But I didn't expect this company. I thought PIF would take care of that at first.

So what does the 20 billion that has been made available to the Ministry of Sports for football mean?

Do the companies also get something from it, or do "SABIC" and "STC" alone bear the costs for the salaries of Henderson, Carrasco and co.?

If these 20 billion are only intended for the top 4 clubs, then they will definitely remain unattainable in football for all time.

They need to have technically separate companies owning clubs to get all 4 into the CL.

Christ

They have Ronaldo - who we fecking sold to them - Mane, who struggled for Bayern last year, and who? Telles? Who could barely get into our team. Laporte?

So over the top

They need to have technically separate companies owning clubs to get all 4 into the CL.

You're confusing things here. The 4 clubs, al-Hilal, al-Ittihad, al-Ahli and al-Nassr belong to the PIF directly. Al-Shabab and al-Ettifaq officially have nothing to do with the PIF. They are now owned by these two companies. The 4 will come to the UCL. The last two remain in Asia or maybe Europa League.

When will the Saudi league be on UK TV? Can't be long now surely?

Even someone like me who strongly sympathizes with the SPL thinks this is nonsense. Not even against Fulham. None of the Saudis. I think someone like Fulham would win the SPL. The automatisms and processes must take effect. They have to get used to it for a long time. Only after 1-2 more transfer windows will they be serious opponents.

You're confusing things here. The 4 clubs, al-Hilal, al-Ittihad, al-Ahli and al-Nassr belong to the PIF directly. Al-Shabab and al-Ettifaq officially have nothing to do with the PIF. They are now owned by these two companies. The 4 will come to the UCL. The last two remain in Asia or maybe Europa League.
I did confuse Ittihad with Ettifaq indeed. Interesting, in that case I would assume they’re expanding to a top 6 given if they can get into the CL there’s no reason they wouldn’t also get EL spots?

Re the PIF owned companies, technically every club is owned by the crown - I mean if they want to satisfy the very loose UEFA rules they need a different ‘company’ to own each club.

They all belong to the same owner. SABIC is owned by ARAMCO which is state owned.

Benfica CEO Domingos Soares de Oliveira is moving to Saudi League champions al-Ittihad.

Benfica is the best selling club in Europe and has produced the most world-class players.
For me these are the true world-class transfers. People who know how to build something and which screws to turn.

It is precisely such transfers that should cause UEFA the biggest headaches. They are commitments that tell me that this project is designed for something long-term.

Source: Several Saudi and Portuguese media outlets.

Benfica CEO Domingos Soares de Oliveira is moving to Saudi League champions al-Ittihad.

Benfica is the best selling club in Europe and has produced the most world-class players.
For me these are the true world-class transfers. People who know how to build something and which screws to turn.

It is precisely such transfers that should cause UEFA the biggest headaches. They are commitments that tell me that this project is designed for something long-term.

Now that you mention it... Let's just extract oil and gas in Europe and do without basic human rights. Then "we" will be competitive again.

Are you paid to post about the Saudi League here? You are a "Mönchengladbach" supporter and 23 of your 24 posts are about how great the Saudi League project is. The other one is about how the MLS sucks.

@Iker Quesadillas

Why don't you ask the local media if they aren't paid to constantly write in one direction?

When I look at the media in Asia, Africa and the Middle East, I can only see how enthusiastic and positive they are about the Saudi project. Even its biggest arch-enemy, Iran, admires the SPL.

They recently bought the SPL's TV rights. For the first time in history, the SPL will be broadcast in Iran.
Matches between Saudi and Iranian teams will now be played in their home stadiums, not at neutral venues as before. Something historic between these mortal enemies would be worth reporting here.

I think it's great that sport brings people together. The negative reporting can only be found here in the West. The rest of the world, 85% of the world's population, finds the Saudi project either neutral or positive. Only in the West is there hatred and division. Think about it!

Christ

They have Ronaldo - who we fecking sold to them - Mane, who struggled for Bayern last year, and who? Telles? Who could barely get into our team. Laporte?

So over the top

We didnt sell Ronaldo did we? We didnt want him anymore, ditched him and he was picked up by his current club as an unemployeed, severely declined, former world class player.

@Iker Quesadillas

Why don't you ask the local media if they aren't paid to constantly write in one direction?

When I look at the media in Asia, Africa and the Middle East, I can only see how enthusiastic and positive they are about the Saudi project. Even its biggest arch-enemy, Iran, admires the SPL.

They recently bought the SPL's TV rights. For the first time in history, the SPL will be broadcast in Iran.
Matches between Saudi and Iranian teams will now be played in their home stadiums, not at neutral venues as before. Something historic between these mortal enemies would be worth reporting here.

I think it's great that sport brings people together. The negative reporting can only be found here in the West. The rest of the world, 85% of the world's population, finds the Saudi project either neutral or positive. Only in the West is there hatred and division. Think about it!
I am sure you have a source for us.

Furthermore, I agree with the other poster. You sound like a Saudi-paid account that wants to paint everything in a good light. I'm really sorry that I find human rights more important than a wannabe football league.

@Iker Quesadillas

You haven't even bothered to deny whether you are paid by them and the first thing you do is to invoke a 'whataboutism'.
Very easy to conclude that you are in fact a Saudi shill.

@Iker Quesadillas

It's quite a stretch to claim that there's only positive reporting about the Saudi project in Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Are you reading only English-language sources, or are you reading media in the native languages of the many countries across these continents? Speaking with such authority on behalf of 85% of the world's population in any case is a bold act.

Not to mention the fact that the three regions you mentioned are the three regions in which press and media freedom is most nonexistent. Isn't it possible that if you are looking at media in Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, and if you feel that they are generally positive, you may still be primarily looking at news and articles from state-owned media outlets that represent their government's pro-Saudi stance in pursuit of favourable diplomatic relations or their state's foreign policy, as opposed to something that reflects the views of their populations and football fans?

You're also misrepresenting the Saudi-Iranian football situation, they were playing matches at neutral venues because there had been a travel ban between the two countries. It is not some once in a generation accomplishment, it was merely the removal of a travel ban--unrelated to football--that has existed for 7 years. Its removal has absolutely nothing to do with the Saudi Pro League and is not an example of football bringing people together, it was a political choice to open the borders as two dictatorships engage in a different approach to their rifts and relations.

I am sure you have a source for us.

Furthermore, I agree with the other poster. You sound like a Saudi-paid account that wants to paint everything in a good light. I'm really sorry that I find human rights more important than a wannabe football league.

Unfortunately I can't add any links here. But you could easily google it!

We both know it's not about human rights. Otherwise the West would not support apartheid systems and would not treat refugees like animals at their borders. And also not about critical journalists. Even in the West they are brutally executed (Shireen Aqlah) and persecuted as soon as it is believed that this would endanger national security. Her execution was quickly swept under the rug in the Western media. I'd be surprised if you'd ever heard of her.

I also don't understand why the life of a Muslim (Kashoggi) has more value and deserves attention than the life of a Christian (Shireen).

MBS's predecessors all took a much more conservative and strict approach to human rights. But they were hardly a topic in Western media. Why? MBS opens up its country and loosens many laws and all of a sudden you get the idea that human rights in Saudi Arabia don't work according to the western model. How credible is that? MBS just has to submit to American foreign policy and the issue of human rights will quickly disappear.

All Western governments, without exception, and all Western companies do business with the Saudis. Why should footballers suddenly save the world? Don't let yourself be guided.

@johnnyteutonic , it's bullsh*t! Why does everyone with a different opinion that lies outside of their own bubble have to be paid the same? But I wouldn't mind if someone actually paid me for my opinion.

We both know it's not about human rights. Otherwise the West would not support apartheid systems and would not treat refugees like animals at their borders. And also not about critical journalists. Even in the West they are brutally executed (Shireen Aqlah) and persecuted as soon as it is believed that this would endanger national security. Her execution was quickly swept under the rug in the Western media. I'd be surprised if you'd ever heard of her.

I also don't understand why the life of a Muslim (Kashoggi) has more value and deserves attention than the life of a Christian (Shireen).

MBS's predecessors all took a much more conservative and strict approach to human rights. But they were hardly a topic in Western media. Why? MBS opens up its country and loosens many laws and all of a sudden you get the idea that human rights in Saudi Arabia don't work according to the western model. How credible is that? MBS just has to submit to American foreign policy and the issue of human rights will quickly disappear.

All Western governments, without exception, and all Western companies do business with the Saudis. Why should footballers suddenly save the world? Don't let yourself be guided.

@johnnyteutonic , it's bullsh*t! Why does everyone with a different opinion that lies outside of their own bubble have to be paid the same? But I wouldn't mind if someone actually paid me for my opinion.
I won‘t be responding to your whataboutism and drivel. Bye.

Do you even know who this guy is? He has nothing to do with the football part. He was part of the financial team and Benfica fans wanted him gone for ages now.

Do you know why they wanted him gone? Because he's a corrupt pawn who was part of former Benfica president Luís Filipe Vieira staff who has been charged with multiple crimes and was ousted as Benfica president. You know why Benfica fans want him gone again? He paid his daughter's wedding with Benfica money.

Yeah he will fit right in Saudi Arabia.

Better find other news to try and prop up your Saudi overlords.

Do you even know who this guy is? He has nothing to do with the football part. He was part of the financial team and Benfica fans wanted him gone for ages now.

Do you know why they wanted him gone? Because he's a corrupt pawn who was part of former Benfica president Luís Filipe Vieira staff who has been charged with multiple crimes and was ousted as Benfica president. You know why Benfica fans want him gone again? He paid his daughter's wedding with Benfica money.

Yeah he will fit right in Saudi Arabia.

Better find other news to try and prop up your Saudi overlords.

Why will he fit right in? What is the link you are making? Can you spell it out for me?

Why will he fit right in? What is the link you are making? Can you spell it out for me?
He will fit right in because he only thinks about money. He actually was a Sporting associate before selling himself to the highest bidder. Benfica fans thank Saudi money for getting rid of him.

We didnt sell Ronaldo did we? We didnt want him anymore, ditched him and he was picked up by his current club as an unemployeed, severely declined, former world class player.

What’s the point of this meaningless clarification when you’re making the same point as me?

For the record, this is the first and only time I've ever suggested someone else is a paid shill on any platform on the internet or otherwise.
I adduced this based on someone else's observation that all but one of your posts are related to the Saudi League, that you didn't initially deny it was the case that you had been paid, and that your immediate reaction was to throw whataboutisms about.
However, I will revise my statement to now say my suspicions about your motivations are still present, but I will entertain the possibility that you are not in fact paid to post here.