Samuel Luckhurst

0 goal difference after 5 league games. I’m stuggling to see much improvement and progress from last season’s league form. Hopefully it changes soon.
I probably wouldn't admit that you can't see the difference in the side last year and this year, that's slightly embarrassing on your part.

0 goal difference after 5 league games. I’m stuggling to see much improvement and progress from last season’s league form. Hopefully it changes soon.
Underlying stats are a lot better. Way less chances conceded, more chances created. Our finishing has been pretty diabolical so far, underperforming our xG by 5 currently. We're currently 6th in xPoints, underperforming by 2 points. Very early days yet but what this suggests is that results are likely to begin improving. Still not great though, especially when we're 3 seasons into a project. I don't see Ten Hag surviving the season unless performances as well as results improve.

I do think people are being a bit harsh off the back of the Palace game, we were by far the better team and missed some fantastic opportunities to win the match. If we play like that every game then we'll win more often than not. Worth saying we've had 3 of our bogey sides (Brighton, Palace and Liverpool) in our first 5 games.

We're overperforming our xG against so Onana's seemingly had a pretty decent start to the season.

Underlying stats are a lot better. Way less chances conceded, more chances created. Our finishing has been pretty diabolical so far, underperforming our xG by 5 currently. We're currently 6th in xPoints, underperforming by 2 points. Very early days yet but what this suggests is that results are likely to begin improving. Still not great though, especially when we're 3 seasons into a project. I don't see Ten Hag surviving the season unless performances as well as results improve.

I do think people are being a bit harsh off the back of the Palace game, we were by far the better team and missed some fantastic opportunities to win the match. If we play like that every game then we'll win more often than not. Worth saying we've had 3 of our bogey sides (Brighton, Palace and Liverpool) in our first 5 games.

We're overperforming our xG against so Onana's seemingly had a pretty decent start to the season.

To be fair I’m too lazy to look that deep into the stats :lol:

To be fair I’m too lazy to look that deep into the stats :lol:
If you just took the eye test the improvement in performance is obvious. I feel we played better as a unit and controlling the ball more against Brighton when we lost 2-1 compared to when we won 2-0 last season.

If you just took the eye test the improvement in performance is obvious. I feel we played better as a unit and controlling the ball more against Brighton when we lost 2-1 compared to when we won 2-0 last season.

Ultimately though, results are what matter. We still lost to Brighton, didn’t take our chances against Palace, and we’re sat 11th in the table on 0 goal difference. Our standards have dropped massively if we’re supposed to be happy with conceding less chances.

We got smashed 4-0 at Palace las recently as May, so 0-0 is quite the improvement. Obviously a long way to go as you can't really see us scoring tonnes unless it's a poor team and things go our way.

I can remember multiple seasons under SAF where we were underwhelming right up to the end of October and went on to win the league. I'm not saying we're going to win the league, but we're only 5 games in.

Also, Luckhurst is a fecking twat.
Don't think we'll win the league but if we can't start putting chances away then there's no reason we can't finish top 4 and go on another cup run.

Ultimately though, results are what matter. We still lost to Brighton, didn’t take our chances against Palace, and we’re sat 11th in the table on 0 goal difference. Our standards have dropped massively if we’re supposed to be happy with conceding less chances.

I agree. No amount of deep analysis of stats takes away from the simple reality that Ten Hag is still on the ropes and needs to translate his ideas into good performances and results sharpish

Our top four 'rivals' are already beginning to build up a head of steam for their respective campaigns while we're here in Ten Hag's third season still questioning his suitability.

You only have to look at that current top 7 to see how much work Ten Hag has to do catch up with thier levels. Chelsea for instance have reentered the fray as a serious club making progress and aiming for a spot in the top four and they have the squad for it.

The league is teeing up to be more competitive than it was last season and three new managers are adding to this Chelsea, Liverpool and Brighton who are our realistic rivals these days have new managers and two of them have already outcoached Ten Hag

Last edited:
So, not watching the matches then. Just the results.