g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rugby Union 23/24 Discussion

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
@moses should have tagged you in as well, with your newfound love (well, fondness) of the oval ball.
No gameday today?

I’ve just presided over a plate of protein pancakes, bacon & maple syrup which has made me feel slightly ill but the boy swears will give him the energy to run for 80 minutes

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No gameday today?

I’ve just presided over a plate of protein pancakes, bacon & maple syrup which has made me feel slightly ill but the boy swears will give him the energy to run for 80 minutes
:lol: Careful now. I’ve been taking regular protein shakes recently. Quite the challenge for middle aged bowels.

Rugby finished last week. All about the football now. Big win yesterday. Two more games left.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
:lol: Careful now. I’ve been taking regular protein shakes recently. Quite the challenge for middle aged bowels.

Rugby finished last week. All about the football now. Big win yesterday. Two more games left.
It was volume rather than content. Metabolism issue. I fancy a nap now.

This is rugby league, and not only do I not understand the nuances of the game….i also don’t understand the season. It seemingly never ends, running most of the way through summer

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Toulouse are scary good. Although that try just now should have been disallowed. The bloke they were checking for knock on was at least a yard or two ahead of the kicker. Annoying when the TMO gets involved and only does half a job.
Amazing that you wouldn’t check an onside/offside from the kick in that situation :houllier:

Reckon it’s academic anyway….we’ll see Leinster Toulouse in the final

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Quite proud of how the English sides have done this weekend, running Leinster and Toulouse close is no disgrace, especially considering the vast difference in resources

Ish

Lights on for Luke
After the Queensland Reds beat the Crusaders in Christchurch for the first time since 1999 earlier today, I can post this without having the dubious honour of my team losing to the worst Crusaders side since 2001

Their downfall has been crazy. I know they lost a few key players as well (Mo’unga & Whitelock springs to mind)….i knew they’d struggle but didn’t think it would be this bad. I don’t think anyone did….right?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Their downfall has been crazy. I know they lost a few key players as well (Mo’unga & Whitelock springs to mind)….i knew they’d struggle but didn’t think it would be this bad. I don’t think anyone did….right?
I thought they'd finish 5th or 6th. They can still make the finals but that would be by virtue of the fact 8 of the 12 sides in Super Rugby Pacific qualify for the finals. Jack Goodhue, Leicester Faingaanuku, Richie Mo’unga & Sam Whitelock all departing will have played a role in their regression. Scott Robertson has proved to be irreplaceable so far but their decision to appoint Rob Penney as Razor's successor looks more like a mistake.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I thought they'd finish 5th or 6th. They can still make the finals but that would be by virtue of the fact 8 of the 12 sides in Super Rugby Pacific qualify for the finals. Jack Goodhue, Leicester Faingaanuku, Richie Mo’unga & Sam Whitelock all departing will have played a role in their regression. Scott Robertson has proved to be irreplaceable so far but their decision to appoint Rob Penney as Razor's successor looks more like a mistake.
Yeah it seems a combination of those 3 factors above contributing to their malaise. As you mentioned, it’s been much worse than expected though.

I’d hate to be Robertson in fairness. Expectations and pressure must be sky high for him.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Maybe a little bank holiday desperation, but I find myself watching MLR (the American league).

The quality is a bit ropey….as is the reffing, but it’s pretty entertaining. Painful on an American pitch that appears to be an all-purpose artificial soccer/American football/rugby pitch. Lines bloody everywhere!

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Maybe a little bank holiday desperation, but I find myself watching MLR (the American league).

The quality is a bit ropey….as is the reffing, but it’s pretty entertaining. Painful on an American pitch that appears to be an all-purpose artificial soccer/American football/rugby pitch. Lines bloody everywhere!
I don’t get that. Not as though American sports clubs are stuck for cash. They charge unbelievable membership fees at amateur level, pro sports seem to be awash with money. And it’s never been a country that’s short of space! So what’s with all the multipurpose pitches?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I don’t get that. Not as though American sports clubs are stuck for cash. They charge unbelievable membership fees at amateur level, pro sports seem to be awash with money. And it’s never been a country that’s short of space! So what’s with all the multipurpose pitches?
God knows mate but it seems to be commonplace

I follow a YouTube channel of a guy from Nottingham who plays pro in the lower leagues in the states (7mlc is the channel). It’s almost impossible to follow some of the footage with so many lines on each pitch.

To be fair to the MLR teams I don’t think they’re as well off as all that, a few of them went busto last season….somewhat overshadowed in the rugby world by the English clubs also going bust :nervous:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Just watched Leinster dismantle Ospreys in the second half after a fairly well contested first half.

feck me they’re good to watch. I’m seriously hyped for the European Cup final, two amazing playmaking teams. Although Leinster have had Toulouse’s number recently it’s always been in Ireland. No home court advantage might make this one a bit closer

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
We've been terrible in the 1st and are only 4 behind, also Getting nothing out of this ref, no arms tackle, tackle to the head on there try, constantly lying on the ball at the ruck.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
We've been terrible in the 1st and are only 4 behind, also Getting nothing out of this ref, no arms tackle, tackle to the head on there try, constantly lying on the ball at the ruck.
That TMO decision to award the try is going to generate a lot of discussion. Seemed an absolute sham. There was no way he could see where that ball was.

diarm

Their fans spent the night booing harder than the unwanted offspring of a demented Ulster / Glasgow orgy, despite a litany of horror calls going their way. I couldn’t believe my ears.

Anyway - great win. We struggled to cope with the free for all at the breakdown and as with many teams this year , we struggled with their clever use of the low sun in the first half, but when we did manage to get the ball into our hands for a spell - we were the side playing all the rugby.

Let’s see know can one of Ulster or Lions do us a favour tomorrow.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
That TMO decision to award the try is going to generate a lot of discussion. Seemed an absolute sham. There was no way he could see where that ball was.
Honestly I would've been fuming, as the time it took ment they knew nothing, but we put up with it and won in the end, after our old boys kicking brilliance, but our now boy has that elegance and skill that beats them, I wish Ben nothing but the best though, he had his chance, but Crowley was behind him and was being talked around Cork for years as the new 10

Dan_F

Saints v Saracens and Bath v Sale for the semis.

I’m surprised at Saracens losing out on that home semi. I guess I’ll start looking for accommodation in West London that I can cancel if Bath lose. Hell of a turn around from being at Sixways on the last game of the season two years ago, watching us try (and fail) to avoid finishing last.

kidbob

Leinster have been awful in all but about 3 games this season and we are going to get absolutely embarrassed against Toulouse next week. I like the guy but Cullen has to go.

diarm

Leinster have been awful in all but about 3 games this season and we are going to get absolutely embarrassed against Toulouse next week. I like the guy but Cullen has to go.
Worth bearing in mind that this Leinster side today is short of 16 fellas who are being rested for next week.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
:lol: Saw this comment and assumed they were getting a hiding. 14-10 up at half time!
@kidbob has some serious standards

I haven’t watched much URC this season, but it’s all about the trophies for Leinster, isn’t it? They’ve played the best club rugby in the world for the past few years but shit the bed at the vital moments. It has to be black and white. Win Europe or it’s a failure

kidbob

Worth bearing in mind that this Leinster side today is short of 16 fellas who are being rested for next week.
That’s another thing I hate. We rotate like mad and then expect our ‘first’ 15 to show up for huge games after no game time for a month. The likes of the French teams are battle hardened. We sign a coach with a hugely complex defensive system but then have no consistency of selection for the players to really learn it.

kidbob

@kidbob has some serious standards

I haven’t watched much URC this season, but it’s all about the trophies for Leinster, isn’t it? They’ve played the best club rugby in the world for the past few years but shit the bed at the vital moments. It has to be black and white. Win Europe or it’s a failure
Exactly! We have had failure seasons for the last 2 despite probably being the overall best team in Europe. Looking like another trophyless season again which means Cullen has to be questioned.

diarm

Obviously I want to see the Irish sides doing well. But it’ll be hard not to have a small giggle if Leinster lose this evening and then again next week.

You can forgive a bit of hubris once, but not 3 years on the trot.

I reckon ye will be ok today though. Ulster are their own worst enemies.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Exactly! We have had failure seasons for the last 2 despite probably being the overall best team in Europe. Looking like another trophyless season again which means Cullen has to be questioned.
Looking like? You know you’re (slight) betting favourites against Toulouse and have beaten them on the last few occasions?

kidbob

Looking like? You know you’re (slight) betting favourites against Toulouse and have beaten them on the last few occasions?
Yeah but having watched us this season and them this season they are a far better team than us and it isn’t really that close. They’ve gone up multiple levels and we’ve gone down multiple levels.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Yeah but having watched us this season and them this season they are a far better team than us and it isn’t really that close. They’ve gone up multiple levels and we’ve gone down multiple levels.
Knowing your past record on predicting your teams’ demise….. Leinster by 20 then :lol: :lol:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Obviously I want to see the Irish sides doing well. But it’ll be hard not to have a small giggle if Leinster lose this evening and then again next week.

My man…..you fecking hate Leinster, don’t dress it up as anything else :D

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

I want them down the Pairc, if we make the URC final no more of this shit going to the Aviva as a home fixture in big games.

diarm

My man…..you fecking hate Leinster, don’t dress it up as anything else :D
I don’t hate anyone today. We win a big one away - Glasgow and Leinster both stumble and Shane Lowry is tearing it up in Kentucky. I’ve a beer in my hand and my belly is full of Mexican food.

All is well in the world. (we won’t talk about United).

I want them down the Pairc, if we make the URC final no more of this shit going to the Aviva as a home fixture in big games.
A final in Cork is in our own hands after this weekend.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I don’t hate anyone today. We win a big one away - Glasgow and Leinster both stumble and Shane Lowry is tearing it up in Kentucky. I’ve a beer in my hand and my belly is full of Mexican food.

All is well in the world. (we won’t talk about United).
Sounds magic. You watching the boxing?