Rugby 2019 Discussion

Bnlyw9jIEAA6U5m.jpg

Came across this from the weekend. If it was Michael Cheika saying this, the reaction would be strong to put it mildly.

Came across this from the weekend. If it was Michael Cheika saying this, the reaction would be strong to put it mildly.

I didn't think either side played great but likewise I didn't think the ref had a particularly bad game in favour of one side. He missed Kearney's no arms tackle and O'Mahony on Hogg but they were marginal. Is the TMO not allowed give input to the ref without the ref asking for it? The game was error strewn though and Scotland had a lot of knock ons and forward passes at crucial attacking plays. I dont think Laidlaw needed to mention the ref at all. If they dont make individual handling mistakes then they win.

There were two incidents that I still think about from this past weekend.
One probably would have made a huge difference to the game's outcome; the Sco/Ire one where Seymour, looked to me to get pushed, as he offloaded that shitty pass to Maitland that allowed Murray in to score. Seymour had the ball so the push, if it happened at all, was legal?

The 2nd was when May was tussling with the French back on the ground and held him back by hooking his arm, effectively stopping him from getting to the ball before Farrell rushed in to touch it down. If that was overturned it wouldn't have mattered but it got me wondering how that arm hook was legal?

The 2nd was when May was tussling with the French back on the ground and held him back by hooking his arm, effectively stopping him from getting to the ball before Farrell rushed in to touch it down. If that was overturned it wouldn't have mattered but it got me wondering how that arm hook was legal?

Everyone seems to love Nigel Owens and he can’t do anything wrong, but I thought he had a poor game

I thought that should have come been disallowed, sounded like the TMO wanted to say something g else (maybe not about the arm hook, but Owens cut him off as he’d heard what he wanted re the knock on)

And thought Sinckler could’ve seen yellow for his petulant ‘tap’ in the head

England worthy winners regardless of any reffing, and the game in Cardiff should be a belter; England should (and probably will) win the Grand Slam if they beat Wales

Everyone seems to love Nigel Owens and he can’t do anything wrong, but I thought he had a poor game

I thought that should have come been disallowed, sounded like the TMO wanted to say something g else (maybe not about the arm hook, but Owens cut him off as he’d heard what he wanted re the knock on)

And thought Sinckler could’ve seen yellow for his petulant ‘tap’ in the head

England worthy winners regardless of any reffing, and the game in Cardiff should be a belter; England should (and probably will) win the Grand Slam if they beat Wales

Think Nigel has been getting progressively more criticism as the years have gone on.

Folks, Super Rugby starts this weekend :). Many in my part of the world are hoping this is the 2nd last super rugby season in the competition's current guise. I'm even tempted to have a drink every time i read or hear somebody say ''Kick South Africa out of super rugby!''

If my team, the Queensland Reds can win 8 of their 16 games, I'll be pretty happy, especially if 2 of those wins come against the New South Wales Waratahs. The number of wins i mentioned seems small but it'd represent positive progress relative to recent seasons.

I'll be amazed if the Crusaders don't win a 3rd consecutive title. They're the best and they're the best by some margin.

There were two incidents that I still think about from this past weekend.
One probably would have made a huge difference to the game's outcome; the Sco/Ire one where Seymour, looked to me to get pushed, as he offloaded that shitty pass to Maitland that allowed Murray in to score. Seymour had the ball so the push, if it happened at all, was legal?

The big incident from the Scotland game for me was probably POM taking out Hogg. Hogg went off injured soon after and scotland looked disjointed in attack. I dont think the challenge on Seymour was illegal though as they were pressuring the ball carrier. If he was pushed without the ball then yes.

The big incident from the Scotland game for me was probably POM taking out Hogg. Hogg went off injured soon after and scotland looked disjointed in attack. I dont think the challenge on Seymour was illegal though as they were pressuring the ball carrier. If he was pushed without the ball then yes.

I didn't catch replays of that POM hit, where would I see it?

T/s couldn’t see.
Yeah it was hard to see. I'll try find a slow motion replay of it but apparently he knew what he was doing. To be fair I would say he was trying to impede Hogg but in no way could've injured him intentionally.

Ons bloed is blou. Blue Bulls making up for the disappointing day in the cricket with a dominant performance against the Stomers at Loftus today. Roscoe Specman should go to the World Cup.

Meanwhile in Australia, former dual international, Michael O'Connor has been named as Australia's independent selector joining Michael Cheika and newly appointed Director of Rugby Scott Johnson.

Tuilagi considering a move to Racing which could rule him out of the world cup.
Wow. O'Brien is delaying his move to London Irish so he can play in the World Cup. I would do the same if I was Tuilagi but then I suppose financially this could be huge for him.

Last edited:
The Brumbies scored some terrific tries in their 54-17 win over the Chiefs in Canberra tonight.

I only really watch the Six Nations when it's on but has anyone else been listening to the House of Rugby podcast on Joe? It's hilarious. The one they just did with Marler is brilliant.

It's time for champagne, France won a game.