Round of 16 | France vs Belgium | Portugal vs Slovenia

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Didn't Slovenia beat Portugal in a friendly recently? That could be much closer than expected, wouldn't rule out ET in that.

France probably stroll to a 1-0 over Belgium. Won't be anything like the quality of the 2018 SF as both nations are much poorer than that time imo.

onemanarmy

Didn't Slovenia beat Portugal in a friendly recently? That could be much closer than expected, wouldn't rule out ET in that.

France probably stroll to a 1-0 over Belgium. Won't be anything like the quality of the 2018 SF as both nations are much poorer than that time imo.
Yeah, but France will still have the edge to beat us. Hoping for a miracle :D

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Belgium France will be a fun game I think. France obviously the favorites, but they have been (even) worse than Belgium so far.

black country red

Hope France win and I hope mbappe or another of their black players score the winner just to show the racists that have forgotten the horrors inflicted on their country 80 or so years ago and voted for an extreme right wing party that their sporting teams are nothing without them

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Hope France win and I hope mbappe or another of their black players score the winner just to show the racists that have forgotten the horrors inflicted on their country 80 or so years ago and voted for an extreme right wing party that their sporting teams are nothing without them
If that's your motivation, our own extreme right-wing party was also one of the big winners of our national elections last month, unfortunately. Although disaster might've been narrowly avoided (for now).

I'm surprised France are that heavily favoured at the bookies, Belgium gets 4.50 for an outright win whilst what we showed against Romania was better than anything France has shown so far in their games. Think we have the quality to match them but our defense against Mbappe/Dembele speed doesn't fill me with confidence and I'm afraid Tedesco will play to neutralize France's strengths rather than do our own thing and believe in our own quality.

Apart from obviously staying in the tournament, this is such an important game to finally avenge that 2018 horror defeat. New trauma on the cards if we lose even if not a lot of people expect us to go through anyway right now.

Kirk lazarus

Portugal should win , wouldn't be a surprise to see them concede though .
I don't know why , just a gut feeling that Belgium will go through .

Ramos

I can't see how Belgium will manage to score against that French defence.

Those 3 disallowed goals must have done a number on Lukaku's confidence. Doku is a decent player, but he's all style and no end product. And the other winger, whether it's Lukebakio, Bakayoko, Trossard or Carrasco, is just not of the same quality as the rest of the attacking players. That leaves KDB to come up with something. Hope i'm wrong though.

Ainu

It'll be a boring game and France will grab a comfortable 1-0 win. Don't think this will be a fun one for the neutrals (or us Belgians, obviously).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If Lukaku decides not to be 0.5 inches offside all the time this could be a good one.

Not sure who I support. I'm still angry at Belgium for having the audacity to eclipse us for the past years and France, well, no one likes France.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If Lukaku decides not to be 0.5 inches offside all the time this could be a good one.

Not sure who I support. I'm still angry at Belgium for having the audacity to eclipse us for the past years and France, well, no one likes France.
Belgian are basically Dutch anyway. Well, half Dutch. Can't you root for the Flems, while hating the Waloons? (no idea if those are even words)

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Every tournament he benches Giroud for the first game and corrects his mistake. This time he's not and keeping Thuram in the team. I can see Belgium knocking us out in a very boring 0-1 defeat in ET.

Kirk lazarus

I can't see how Belgium will manage to score against that French defence.

Those 3 disallowed goals must have done a number on Lukaku's confidence. Doku is a decent player, but he's all style and no end product. And the other winger, whether it's Lukebakio, Bakayoko, Trossard or Carrasco, is just not of the same quality as the rest of the attacking players. That leaves KDB to come up with something. Hope i'm wrong though.
I think lukaku has looked pretty good despite the bad luck . Saliba & uppemeccano will have to be on it .

doku and carrasco could cause problems , kounde is brilliant but he will need help .

That said , it's hard not to worry for that Belgian defence .

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Good thing Belgium decided to start Openda

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think Belgium has a pretty decent attack with Doku, Lukaku, Openda, Trossard, Lukebakio as options.

Backline looks weak though.

wildflower2007

Can you get alternative commentary on ITV? Can't stand this woman commentator, paired with Ally McCoist it's a nightmare.
She's already mentioned the French kits being white, will need to go on a 40 degree wash after the game and can't be mixed with their shorts.