Robin van Persie: Heerenveen head coach

Yeah, I don't get this either. Burnley kept trying it and it wasnt working for them last season but Kompany wouldn't change it
I was reading the same narrative when Bielsa's Leeds was losing games...

Because football is a spectator sport and attractive football is more fun to watch? Because in The Netherlands it doesn't count unless you have 65% possession?

I dunno.

But what if both teams end up with 65% possession and the game finishes a draw.

Who goes home happier?

Ok, he's being slaughtered in the media. Especially Willem van Hanegem is harsh about it (and right).

Couldn't happen to a nicer person.

Its like United tolerating Martial and his crockness for a decade, then he goes on and has the best season of his life with United and instead moves to City for one title and to play with Pep, as a way of thanks. No qualms about Sanchez, who in his own interviews regretted the move but he had no real connection to the club but absolutely nothing to say good about this guy.

Its like United tolerating Martial and his crockness for a decade, then he goes on and has the best season of his life with United and instead moves to City for one title and to play with Pep, as a way of thanks. No qualms about Sanchez, who in his own interviews regretted the move but he had no real connection to the club but absolutely nothing to say good about this guy.
He wanted to win the title above all else, so he did. There is zero loyalty from the majority of players.

Couldn't happen to a nicer person. Its like United tolerating Martial and his crockness for a decade, then he goes on and has the best season of his life with United and instead moves to City for one title and to play with Pep, as a way of thanks. No qualms about Sanchez, who in his own interviews regretted the move but he had no real connection to the club but absolutely nothing to say good about this guy.
As if Arsenal would have tolerated his injuries if it weren't THAT obvious he was an amazing player. He showed plenty of greatness before that last season. You can hardly fault him for wanting to win a trophy.

Yeah, I don't get this either. Burnley kept trying it and it wasnt working for them last season but Kompany wouldn't change it

Kompany at Burnley is precisely why.

Bigger and better clubs are no longer looking at results, but instead at a manager's style of play. The knock on of this is that smaller clubs just become blatant stepping stones for young, upcoming managers, who don't actually really care whether the club sinks behind them.

It doesn't actually matter if you lose most weeks, get your team relegated, and face a few hammerings, as long as you're trying to press, play out from the back, and generally just attempt what the best teams are doing. You can just blame the former on the players not being good enough to pull off the latter.

Because football is a spectator sport and attractive football is more fun to watch? Because in The Netherlands it doesn't count unless you have 65% possession?

I dunno.
Nothing attractive about losing 1-9. That's a bad memory that stays with you for a lifetime. It's the kind of results you get praises from Pep for because it made his job easier.

Nothing attractive about losing 1-9. That's a bad memory that stays with you for a lifetime. It's the kind of results you get praises from Pep for because it made his job easier.
Yeah fair enough. As I said, I dunno.

I'd say try and play football against weak opposition, but be realistic against the top teams (which AZ is compared to Heerenveen). The thing that is most egregious (I have no idea how to spell that) is not adepting when you're 5-1 behind. Even in his post match interview he said he was extremely proud of his team for not compromising along with a slew of life coach sounding rubbish like owning your trauma's and rising from the ashes and what not.

:lol:

images

I dunno.

Nah it's because playing out from the back is the meta now. The top teams do it, so it trickles down the pyramid and gets copied.

Someone will come up with a new winning system, and then suddenly all the managers in world football will be trying to do that too.

You can't underestimate how much football managers just follow trends.

Nah it's because playing out from the back is the meta now. The top teams do it, so it trickles down the pyramid and gets copied.

Someone will come up with a new winning system, and then suddenly all the managers in world football will be trying to do that too.

Playing from the back has been the standard in The Netherlands since the 70s really.

Why? Why is this the default narrative now for when teams constantly get beat by playing the same way and refusing to change?

It's weird isn't it. People seem to treat modern managers as artists who are there to create a piece to their liking.

It's a completely bonkers way of working. They should be the engineers, who are there to create the most functional and best performing team they can with the resources at hand.

There's very, very few managers (I'd argue 1 in all of football right now - Guardiola) who's vision is worth indulging in. The rest need to be able to guarantee trophies at his rate before they can be afforded that sort of luxury.

It's all very strange.

The top teams are doing this thing? Ok, we'll do it too, only worse. We know fully well we're worse at it but will do it anyway, even against teams we know are better at it than us and we'll inevitably lose.

In a league where everyone plays the same way, if you're the 18th best at playing that way you're going to finish about 18th. This is apparently a surprise to managers with no inciination to be different, inventive or disruptive.

It's like Harry Redknapp continually showing up at Old Trafford thinking he could take Fergie on 4-4-2 wing-play v 4-4-2 wing-play with inferior players. No surprise that Sir Alex had more wins over him than any other manager. I like 'arry and I liked watching his teams a lot of time but when it came to playing United he was stupid.

It's weird isn't it. People seem to treat modern managers as artists who are there to create a piece to their liking.

It's a completely bonkers way of working. They should be the engineers, who are there to create the most functional and best performing team they can with the resources at hand.

There's very, very few managers (I'd argue 1 in all of football right now - Guardiola) who's vision is worth indulging in. The rest need to be able to guarantee trophies at his rate before they can be afforded that sort of luxury.
I think this is the biggest weakness of the modern Dutch manager. They all want to play like Guardiola with a squad that can in no way replicate that style of play. I think "commendable" was perhaps a poor choice of words. Maybe "all well and good" is what I was going for.

I think this is the biggest weakness of the modern Dutch manager. They all want to play like Guardiola with a squad that can in no way replicate that style of play. I think "commendable" was perhaps a poor choice of words. Maybe "all well and good" is what I was going for.

I don't think it's an issue specific to Dutch managers tbf. It seems to be an issue across all of European football at the moment.

They all know how to copy the system but don't have the tactical creativity, intelligence or even understanding to adapt it in a way to maximise the effectiveness of their players, hide their own weaknesses or exploit the opposition.

When it works, it looks great but when the circumstances aren't ideal it falls apart spectacularly.

But what if both teams end up with 65% possession and the game finishes a draw.

Who goes home happier?
I'd love to see a game where both teams ended up with 65% possesion, there would definitely something fishy going on!

Cry

He left to win the league and won the league. He was never going to do that at Arsenal, you guys still haven't managed to do so. He managed to finish his career with a major trophy and will always be fondly remembered by United fans.

Why? Why is this the default narrative now for when teams constantly get beat by playing the same way and refusing to change?
Let's not go overboard though. It's been one game like this for Heerenveen, it's not like Van Persie has been persisting with suicide tactics across a range of games.

I'll also add that Van Persie didn't just roll straight into a top-tier coaching job. He's done his course and subsequently spent time as an assistant, and the job he got now is pretty middling in the Eredivisie. So like Van Nistelrooij, he has been taking a careful approach to his coaching career.

That doesn't mean he's good or will come good, of course. But at least he didn't just get the job gifted to him out of nowhere - even if others at his point in their coaching career might not have gotten into Heerenveen as quickly.

Let's not go overboard though. It's been one game like this for Heerenveen, it's not like Van Persie has been persisting with suicide tactics across a range of games.
It's not specifically directed at RvP. It's the mindset that it's supposed to be respected more than any other tactic.

Nobody gives a toss

Wasn’t he your best player for a couple of years before leaving? He was in the form of a title winning striker, but didn’t have the team to back him up.

I bet you weren't complaining when Danny Welbeck scored the winner for you lot at Old Trafford and celebrated like an idiot.