Rio hits out at Moyes

He deserves credit for that. He's decided to keep his thoughts to himself for now and you could tell he felt awkward answering questions about Moyes when he was asked. I have no real issue with Ferdinand expressing his opinion mind you. I don't think Moyes earned many of the players respect and should Moyes ever write a book I would doubt he'll hold back himself.

Rio can say what he likes, but he could indeed be setting himself up. He should be careful, unless he's beyond criticism. I suspect though, he isn't.

I think we all wanted Moyes to succeed... after all this is United and we want to win everything.

But for me I began to realize he should go when he criticized the squad and claimed SAF would have a hard time winning with the squad he had been left (forgetting of course that the same squad had run away with the league the season before and was a shoddy red card and 1-2 players away from being a real contender for the CL... under a different manager)

Didn't Sir Alex himself admit it would be much tougher the following season during the 12/13 season? He said Chelsea would be back in contention with the return of Mourinho, who knew how good Liverpool would become, Arsenal actually spent some money and were strong until injuries cost them, City had a new manager in Pellegrini and were excellent.

I'm glad we didn't have to find out as Sir Alex didn't deserve to go out on a low but I suspect we were due a bad season with our aging squad and under performing youngsters no matter who was in charge.

We are talking about the Manchester United Manager here not some volunteer at a village show, he was the post powerful man at Carrington and he failed to utilize that power. When you are that powerful you demand respect and support, if it's not forthcoming people pay, there and then. Look at Sir Alex, Mourinho or any other successful manager, you cross paths with them and next week you are having a medical at Dortmund taking a pay cut along the way. That's power and if Moyes had ahown that he doesn't stand for shit with one example, especially Rio who appears like he never looked up to him, then the rest would have fallen in line. But if you show weaknesses then everyone will walk all over you.

Even if Moyes suspected Rio, Vida, Giggsy and Patrice were over the hill from what he saw in preseason, do you think the fans would accept him clearing out our most successful and popular players who were current champions?

Of course not, he was stuck with them last season. Same applies to selling Welbeck and Cleverley, he wouldn't have got away with it in his first Summer here, we needed a season of failure to open our eyes somewhat.

Didn't Sir Alex himself admit it would be much tougher the following season during the 12/13 season? He said Chelsea would be back in contention with the return of Mourinho, who knew how good Liverpool would become, Arsenal actually spent some money and were strong until injuries cost them, City had a new manager in Pellegrini and were excellent.

I'm glad we didn't have to find out as Sir Alex didn't deserve to go out on a low but I suspect we were due a bad season with our aging squad and under performing youngsters no matter who was in charge.

sure... tougher. as in NOT a cakewalk. But not an impossible challenge.

but we all know SAF would have signed better players and NOT finished 7th.

I hated moyes last season, I was one of few guys in newbies who from august knew he wasnt right and wanted him gone, got alot of critiscm about "the united way", "keep it english" "how great he was at everton" "needs time" etc etc

But towards end then everyone wanted him gone, but I will say this , his appointment in my opinion all the blame lies with SAF, as when he retired we all expected mourinho to get the job, and when rumours where flying around saying moyes was getting the job, most couldnt believe it

But after he was appointed, naturally people tried to make him sound better than he was to try and convince themselves otherwise, as we where stuck with him for the timebeing

So as has been said many times, anyone would go for the united job, and especially if the greatest manager of all time in SAF recommends you personally for the job

I see a lot of people talking about respect, but i personally think that they respected him, they followed his rules ,they shut their mouths.

But they didn't trust him, and lost their self confidence.

You found the fact that Moyes never had the dressing room implied the players acted unprofessionally. Why would that follow?
No, I felt some of the things that Rio mentioned in his interview - or at least what they signified in terms of their approach to the manager and the new regime - that then led the reporter to surmising that he never had the dressing room to be somewhat unprofessional. Or, if not unprofessional, certainly not giving of their all. Some of which I agree is understandable when the players didn't rate the manager, but not entirely. Players have a greater loyalty than just to the manager.

And that's all I can really be arsed saying on this topic. I'm boring myself which isn't a good sign.

There's nothing dignified in the club captain posing with another club's jersey in the middle of the club's worst season in decades.

He'd moved on - seemingly with the clubs blessing so I've no issue with that to be honest. The player needs to look after their career. He's kept his counsel though - unlike Rio.

Rio felt the need to blow the lid off it all in a book serialised in the sun just to make a few quid. I hope Moyes does comment to be honest, because I suspect Rio downed tools last year.

Where have I said that? My point is that it's very rare to have players come out and criticise a manager like that publicly, much less one that was anointed by Fergie.

I don't think they behaved that badly either, in relative terms, but I think they could have shown a lot more pride in the shirt at a time when we needed it. To me the bottom line is that as bad as the performances were, I don't buy for a second that it was all down to Moyes. A large part, yes, but plenty of players let the club down last season and I find it pretty galling that they get a free pass on that.
Free pass? I'm not sure if you haven't noticed but we have had one of the biggest clear outs in football history. We have let go of around eight senior players and more are likely to make way, I wouldn't call that a free pass.
At the end of the day it's the club's fault that he became our manager. We rushed into this appointment and rightly paid for it.

We are talking about the Manchester United Manager here not some volunteer at a village show, he was the post powerful man at Carrington and he failed to utilize that power. When you are that powerful you demand respect and support, if it's not forthcoming people pay, there and then. Look at Sir Alex, Mourinho or any other successful manager, you cross paths with them and next week you are having a medical at Dortmund taking a pay cut along the way. That's power and if Moyes had ahown that he doesn't stand for shit with one example, especially Rio who appears like he never looked up to him, then the rest would have fallen in line. But if you show weaknesses then everyone will walk all over you.

He was a beaten man before he arrived, he may have had the keys to the asylum, the but the inmates were running the joint and they were not going to ever welcome him. He can have all the power he want at OT, but when players are not putting in performances, he was doomed

Even if Moyes suspected Rio, Vida, Giggsy and Patrice were over the hill from what he saw in preseason, do you think the fans would accept him clearing out our most successful and popular players who were current champions?

Of course not, he was stuck with them last season. Same applies to selling Welbeck and Cleverley, he wouldn't have got away with it in his first Summer here, we needed a season of failure to open our eyes somewhat.

We needed a season like last season to truly wake up this football club, that allot of this squad needed a firesale

I know I'm picking at the most unimportant thing but..this chips business...am I the only one who thinks Moyes was right? Seriously, Rio? Low-fat chips?

I seem to recall Pique being amazed by the shite English footballers eat. Seems to me it's still ongoing.

Rio was on about £120k a week and still could not do as his manager told him? Wonder if there is anything in the book about him and other players going to Moyes or members of his staff to explain their concerns?

Mourinho went in and alienated Chelsea's then best player, what befell him? If Moyes wasn't out of his depth he wouldn't shirk out of a fight with any senior player especially if he was convinced that he was in the right. But he had no conviction in any philosophy or what needed to be done and, if you've ever led a group, subordinates smell indecision from a mile long.
The issue here is that from a technical perspective Moyes was well short of the standard required. If he was tactically adept he'd have earned the respect of a bigger part of his squad and further more itnwas his responsibility to get through to his players by whatever means necessary, it was his duty to get the players on his side.

I know I'm picking at the most unimportant thing but..this chips business...am I the only one who thinks Moyes was right? Seriously, Rio? Low-fat chips?

I seem to recall Pique being amazed by the shite English footballers eat. Seems to me it's still ongoing.

Footballers aren't exactly the brightest of people in the world. Also, they're like pirates, they have their superstitions and rituals. Why unsettle the entire playing staff by banning something stupid like chips.

Let's play spot the Moyes sympathizer! If a club legend eats chips before every game and we win most of them, and then he stops eating chips and we can't buy a victory, what does that tell you?

Let's play spot the Moyes sympathizer! If a club legend eats chips before every game and we win most of them, and then he stops eating chips and we can't buy a victory, what does that tell you?

I need to eat more chips?

I think Fergie meant it would be tougher to win the league, not too hard to finish top 6.

With the obvious exception of the chips, "(seriously Rio, go to a bloody chipper if it's that important) one thing has stood out for me....

It was reported last season that Giggs had a fall out with Moyes, over the latter's refusal to listen to the players or his staff....And now, Rio is saying the same thing

With the obvious exception of the chips, "(seriously Rio, go to a bloody chipper if it's that important) one thing has stood out for me....

It was reported last season that Giggs had a fall out with Moyes, over the latter's refusal to listen to the players or his staff....And now, Rio is saying the same thing
I think the whole deal with the chips was just highlighting how he came in with his own methods and wasnt willing to budge even over the small things. Or thats the way i took it.

Also, I forgot about those rumours with Giggs. Wasnt there also one where Giggs walked off in training questioning why we spent 3 hours on defensive drills? Kind of fits with Rios issues about trying to stop the opposition rather than setting out to beat them

I think the whole deal with the chips was just highlighting how he came in with his own methods and wasnt willing to budge even over the small things. Or thats the way i took it.

Also, I forgot about those rumours with Giggs. Wasnt there also one where Giggs walked off in training questioning why we spent 3 hours on defensive drills? Kind of fits with Rios issues about trying to stop the opposition rather than setting out to beat them

Aye...He sent Phil Neville after him :lol:

But yeah, at least the chips thing makes me feel less guilty about my love for them

Chips are fecking awesome though, to be fair on him. I'd blow my fecking lid if the missus banned me from eating chips. I'm seething just thinking about it, bitch.

The chips thing comes across like childish stubbornness "but, but, we've always had chips!" The pre-Fergie era always had a drinking club, doesn't mean it was integral to the success of the side. If it was just a list of silly things like that I'd be more sympathetic towards Moyes, 'cos that's obviously an example of the players being resistent to change more than anything. But it isn't just that thankfully. He was obviously tactically well below the standard and thoroughly small time in his mentality.

Chips are fecking awesome though, to be fair on him. I'd blow my fecking lid if the missus banned me from eating chips. I'm seething just thinking about it, bitch.

I'd actually take the kids and leave if she started that crap.....

Or, I'd come home from a night out, pissed, get into bed with her and eat a bag of chips.

The chips thing comes across like childish stubbornness "but, but, we've always had chips!" The pre-Fergie era always had a drinking club, doesn't mean it was integral to the success of the side. If it was just a list of silly things like that, I'd be more sympathetic towards Moyes. But it isn't. He was obviously tactically well below the standard.

But, should chips be banned though?!

I reckon we hold a referendum on Thursday to find out

I'd actually take the kids and leave if she started that crap.....

Or, I'd come home from a night out, pissed, get into bed with her and eat a bag of chips.
Yeah, whilst nodding in a "see, I can eat whadafukiwanna" kind of way.

But you're right first off really, I'd be off with the kids and take the cnut to court. fecking cruelty, they'd throw away the key.

What was worrying for me was he kept going on about he has an idea on how he want us to play. I remember asking myself how do you want us to play Moyes because am not seeing anything.

Never mind the chips Rio confirms the salient point discussed at Goodison for years - did Moyes style coach fear in and audacity out? Inadvertently perhaps, but the bottom line is he did. Placing "x's" and "o's" on a whiteboard and talking "diamond formations" etc is management by numbers, motivation is the magic ingredient and he just never had it.

They'll make a documentary about Moyes one day and call it "the great illusion" not that it matters some balloons on Everton forums still try to defend him. Madness.

Yeah, whilst nodding in a "see, I can eat whadafukiwanna" kind of way.

But you're right first off really, I'd be off with the kids and take the cnut to court. fecking cruelty, they'd throw away the key.

Actually saw a tweet earlier that said "Banning chips would make me channel my inner Brock Lesnar"

Everyone knows it will be much tougher but no one expected us to finish 7th and have teams coming to OT and having a go at us.

The chips thing comes across like childish stubbornness "but, but, we've always had chips!" The pre-Fergie era always had a drinking club, doesn't mean it was integral to the success of the side. If it was just a list of silly things like that I'd be more sympathetic towards Moyes, 'cos that's obviously an example of the players being resistent to change more than anything. But it isn't just that thankfully. He was obviously tactically well below the standard and thoroughly small time in his mentality.
A silly thing like taking away the chips should be one of the last things you do when taking over, never one of the first. If you are going to end a minor tradition/ritual you had better have a good justification and a lot of built up goodwill. I've seen similar traditions get removed by a new coach in other places and the coach usually doesn't last long and the tradition returns. But the chips thing kind of sums up the issue with Moyes, he focused on the minutae and didn't have the experience/vision to fix the real problems.

I reckon if it wasn't for the latter the former would have been much easier.

I don't think Rio has any right to be calling anyone else's performances last season embarassing. He was the worst of the whole lot. Do confusing tactics cause you to lose your marker at a corner or let opposition players jsut strol past you and kick the ball into the goal?

The most shocking thing about him being told he was dropped for the Bayern game is the fact he even needed to be told.

Begining to suspect he has to wear his #5 cap to remind people of his mental age
Not to mention that Rio was a hoof-ball merchant before Moyes showed up, so a bit much for him to be having a go at Moyes about long-ball tactics. Last year was an embarrassment on all fronts: Moyes was out of his depth, but the likes of Vidic, Rio, Evra and Carrick were woefully out of form.