Religion, what's the point?

I am just wondering where the theocratic states that are examples of human justice and happiness are?

One, Science does not have a moral code.

One, where in any of my post have I posited it does? My entire point is that it doesn't.

Two, roman empire was around 44BC whereas the earliest man made evidence of worship existed
from around 9100 BC (link) much earlier than that.

Two, The Roman Empire spanned centuries. Two and a half, No shit.

The next time I'm discussing morality with a druid, a World-Tree believer or a Sumerian 'An' worshiper, I'll bring that up. When discussing it with Christians and Muslims, it's rather redundant.

Three, how do you convince a child what what is good and what is evil? Is there a standard definition for those? and why would any person choose to be "good"? Murder and rape are easy, but what about convincing kids about greed & jealousy? If they ask, why...what would your answer be?

Three, the same way countless parents, including mine achieved it without much difficulty.

"Psychologist Matt J. Rossano argues that religion emerged after morality and built upon morality by expanding the social scrutiny of individual behaviour to include supernatural agents.
Does he really? What a revolutionary!

By including ever-watchful ancestors, spirits and gods in the social realm, humans discovered an effective strategy for restraining selfishness and building more cooperative groups. The adaptive value of religion would have enhanced group survival."

Four, Mockney from the internet and some people he can quote to make himself sound like a patronising high school teacher argues that the benefit of co-operation to survival was an even earlier base incentive. Aligned with many other non-religious things, like the natural protective bond animals form with their off spring.

Essentially I agree, because what you're saying is "morality isn't religious, but religion helped some of it spread somewhat during an uncivilised time" This is obvious. It doesn't address why it's still relevant. Or why the religious in this thread can claim they've a higher level of morality, why that belief should be respected and not ridiculed, or any of the points we've been arguing really.

Let's define morality: A moral code is a system of morality (according to a particular philosophy, religion, culture, etc.) . Morals can exist without religions, but where is the standard? What I consider moral may not be accepted by you and vice versa. I believe Religion is one of the popular means which establishes a standard set of moral codes. It offers people a means of escape through spirituality when the cold logic of science does not offer hope. Anthropologists John Monoghan and Peter Just state that, "it seems apparent that one thing religion or belief helps us do is deal with problems of human life that are significant, persistent, and intolerable. One important way in which religious beliefs accomplish this is by providing a set of ideas about how and why the world is put together that allows people to accommodate anxieties and deal with misfortune.".

If you look at the core of all religions (ignoring the myths and stories) they all have one objective...betterment of human being as a individual and as a society. If I start a thread on morality and moral codes, I'm sure it will be a equally divided debate as this. What a religion attempts is the prescribe a common code of morality so that any common man can follow. Not everyone is a philosopher and many do need guidance on morality. The codes against harm, jealousy, greed etc are common and are still valid in current day and time...much more so. And religion is one tool which enforces that through threats of spiritual means.

You're attempting to define morality but not addressing the efficacy of whether religion and morality are a positive combination. History suggests that they haven't been.

No, not that.. It's even mentioned in the Quran, and I already said it. It's when you stretch the "evidence" to claim things that are not really supported by that "evidence", that's when I object.

The analogy actually quite clearly answers your question, whether you want to stop or continue the debate is up to you.

I know that Quran mentions polytheistic religions. The thing is, there is no trace of a main monotheistic religion before Abrahamic religions came along (leaving aside Zoroastrianism and some early form in Ancient Egypt). As you travel earlier in time, you will find people believing in many gods, in Animism, in Totemism,..etc. To suggest that all of these people were born with a predisposition to believe in one God is just nonsense. Also, your claim that all of these people were influenced in order to ignore the "Fitrah" is equally weak because :
1) Given the scale of time (thousands of years), it is very very unlikely that people with a natural predisposition for monotheism would not have developed monotheistic religions. Claiming that everyone was tempted to ignore this natural predisposition is just nonsense. You only have to see the variety of religions nowadays and even currents inside a religion to deduce that even under heavy brain-washing and influence, some people still develop different flavors of religions.
2) You can't find a reason why they would be tempted to ignore monotheism. You talked earlier about "evil desires". Care to expand on this ? (Please don't make me ask again ! :))

And your analogy was just nonsense. Clothes are objects whereas people are not. People act based on their nature, they express it. If all people were born with a natural tendency to believe in one God, the majority would still follow their nature and we would have overwhelming evidence of monotheistic rituals etc. This is even more applicable to prehistoric people who did no have our level of sophistication and who would surrender more easily to their nature. We have nothing of the sort, in fact we have quite the opposite : Animism, totemism, chamanism, polytheism,...

Now, tell us what made all these people (remember, generations and generations worldwide over thousands of years) ignore their nature and be converted to polytheism or other religions/cults.

Werewolf, Danny hasn't responded to my question, but what do you make of his assertion that Fitrah isn't it crucial aspect of Islam anyway?

As far as I'm concerned the only relatively viable interpretation of any religion with a holy text is that of the fundamentalist; for why would any god concern himself with trivialities when addressing his followers directly through the medium of holy scriptures?

Are we to believe that the almighty god is prone to inconsequential whimsy in the guidance of his people? It just doesn't make any sense for a god to be making gratuitous of haphazard insinuations in any holy text or through the words of any prophet for surely the only way this could lead is towards conflict and indecision.

Is god himself a conflicted, indecisive being? Is so then he cannot possibly be defined as being omnipotent. Could it be that this apparently rather contrary, fallible being is instead merely the construct of the demonstrably contrary and fallible minds of humans? Or could it be that the depicted god is indeed omnipotent but intends to cause conflict and indecision in his followers, in which case god couldn't be described as being fair, which again would be indicative of god as a construct of the fallible and routinely unfair minds of humans.

Werewolf, Danny hasn't responded to my question, but what do you make of his assertion that Fitrah isn't it crucial aspect of Islam anyway?
I have never heard of the concept of Fitrah being disputed in Islam. It is not only described in a Hadith (which certainly Muslims might disagree on) but it is also mentioned in Quran. In Islam, every child is considered to be born a Muslim (in the sense of believing in one God) and that's a fact. I consider this to be pretty crucial as it is a very strong claim. This is not related to practices or rites but to human's nature and it is certainly a fundamental aspect, more so when it is supposedly coming from the creator. You will not find many Muslims (if not any) contesting this. And Danny didn't know about Fitrah until I mentioned it...

As far as I'm concerned the only relatively viable interpretation of any religion with a holy text is that of the fundamentalist; for why would any god concern himself with trivialities when addressing his followers directly through the medium of holy scriptures?

Are we to believe that the almighty god is prone to inconsequential whimsy in the guidance of his people? It just doesn't make any sense for a god to be making gratuitous of haphazard insinuations in any holy text or through the words of any prophet for surely the only way this could lead is towards conflict and indecision.

Is god himself a conflicted, indecisive being? Is so then he cannot possibly be defined as being omnipotent. Could it be that this apparently rather contrary, fallible being is instead merely the construct of the demonstrably contrary and fallible minds of humans? Or could it be that the depicted god is indeed omnipotent but intends to cause conflict and indecision in his followers, in which case god couldn't be described as being fair, which again would be indicative of god as a construct of the fallible and routinely unfair minds of humans.

Out of all the hypotheses, that is the simplest and most coherent one. The scriptures are just products of their time. They are deeply influenced by previous religions from which they borrow the myths/legends and plagued with inconsistencies and contradictions of all kinds. The concept of a personal God is also laughable when we factor in what we know about the universe and how insignificant we are in comparison. Monotheistic religions were only one step in the development of humans, a very short time when you contrast it with how long humans have been living on Earth.

The gist of the philosophy of science is that absolute proof of anything is an impossible goal, but that we can make what are seemingly extremely accurate educated guesses nevertheless by being reasonable and discarding the incredibly implausible.

Consider an entirely unsubstantiated theory which I'm about to pluck from thin air as an example of how we cannot definitively prove anything at all:

"There exists a super-powerful, telekinetic and infallible lobster living at the bottom of the sea who tampers with the output of every scientific device ever created with the intention of causing humans to believe anything but the reality of every situation they test."

If the above theory was correct then every truth produced by science to date would in fact be false.

Can we prove that this lobster doesn't exist? Of course we can't. Does the fact that we cannot prove the nonexistence of this malevolent lobster render science impotent? Of course it doesn't.

Science disregards the completely implausible by being an extremely practical instrument of reason and logic. We know full well that it isn't impossible that the lobster exists, but we can nevertheless say with great conviction and assured accuracy that the lobster doesn't exist, because the chances of its existence would be infinitesimal.

Using the same logic a reasonable mind must rule out the existence of god.

Cider, no need to get philosophical about it. There is very little debate really about this issue. If you don't believe in it then you don't understand science itself, which is a bit disappointing.

It's by the way the exact same thing I said before that atheists believe in, and some denied.. Somebody even told me "Well, you've found only one out of dozens.....". I think we have comfortably more than one who believe in that, as we see..

Lack of evidence for existence does not equal an evidence for lack of existence.

Have you actually read the scientific theory wiki page I linked you to? Because you're still completely miscomprehending how science works. If Cider has misunderstood the science itself, then so have the vast majority of scientists.

I know that Quran mentions polytheistic religions. The thing is, there is no trace of a main monotheistic religion before Abrahamic religions came along (leaving aside Zoroastrianism and some early form in Ancient Egypt). As you travel earlier in time, you will find people believing in many gods, in Animism, in Totemism,..etc. To suggest that all of these people were born with a predisposition to believe in one God is just nonsense. Also, your claim that all of these people were influenced in order to ignore the "Fitrah" is equally weak because :
1) Given the scale of time (thousands of years), it is very very unlikely that people with a natural predisposition for monotheism would not have developed monotheistic religions. Claiming that everyone was tempted to ignore this natural predisposition is just nonsense. You only have to see the variety of religions nowadays and even currents inside a religion to deduce that even under heavy brain-washing and influence, some people still develop different flavors of religions.
2) You can't find a reason why they would be tempted to ignore monotheism. You talked earlier about "evil desires". Care to expand on this ? (Please don't make me ask again ! :))

And your analogy was just nonsense. Clothes are objects whereas people are not. People act based on their nature, they express it. If all people were born with a natural tendency to believe in one God, the majority would still follow their nature and we would have overwhelming evidence of monotheistic rituals etc. This is even more applicable to prehistoric people who did no have our level of sophistication and who would surrender more easily to their nature. We have nothing of the sort, in fact we have quite the opposite : Animism, totemism, chamanism, polytheism,...

Now, tell us what made all these people (remember, generations and generations worldwide over thousands of years) ignore their nature and be converted to polytheism or other religions/cults.

Finding multiple Gods does not mean that nobody believed in one God.

The original state of somebody doesn't indicate that it will be the most important factor in how he turns out. Clothes are made clean, but most of them get dirty (the ones that are used).

The analogy is pretty logical. Souls being the clothes, and dirt being the evil on Earth.

Those (evil) desires, let's talk a little about them instead of repeating the same thing: One of them is stubbornness, and bias. When the same incident in football is watched by United and Chelsea fans (live or in 50/50 calls), most United fans will have a different opinion about it than the majority of the Chelsea fans. It's not because they were originally different type of people, or because they had (originally) different understanding about football. It's because they want their team to benefit.. That's one common example about how what you want affects the judgement or the action of people, in a big way, and makes them lose their objectivity, or neutrality in their thinking.. And this is not only among atheists, it's also among christians, Muslims, different sects of Muslims, ...etc.

The point is, that they believed in multiple gods, not just one god each. I already gave you a relatively recent example with the aborigines believing in spirits as a way of explaining things they didn't understand. It was the Abrahamic religions that came along and said "Nah, there's just one god for everything" Look at the Nordic gods, Thor and Odin were both assumed to be real, even if some people worshiped one over the other.

Being "not important" doesn't necessarily mean it's disputed. The other example I gave "breastfeeding" is also pretty undisputed (that it's recommended to do).. But not important means it doesn't represent the basis of Islam, or the belief in God.. Also it means that if eventually somebody had a different interpretation about it, then it doesn't change what Islam is about, and it doesn't make him a non-Muslim.

The point is, that they believed in multiple gods, not just one god each. I already gave you a relatively recent example with the aborigines believing in spirits as a way of explaining things they didn't understand. It was the Abrahamic religions that came along and said "Nah, there's just one god for everything" Look at the Nordic gods, Thor and Odin were both assumed to be real, even if some people worshiped one over the other.

Whose word are you taking on that?

I'm always surprised that it doesn't horrify religious people to know that as per their beliefs, the vast majority of the human race is or will be burning in the everlasting fires of hell.

And given the graphic descriptions of hell in most religious books, I wonder any religious folk are able to sleep at nights knowing that easily nine tenths of the people they run into on a daily basis are going to be for example "thrown into a bottomless pit" or "cast into a lake of fire and brimstone."

Finding multiple Gods does not mean that nobody believed in one God.
You are talking nonsense. In religions with multiple Gods, each one serves a certain function. This constitutes a vision and approach to life that is radically different and incompatible with believing in one God. Those Gods formed a pantheon and constituted the reigning religion. Again, the notion of monotheism did not appear until later.

The original state of somebody doesn't indicate that it will be the most important factor in how he turns out. Clothes are made clean, but most of them get dirty (the ones that are used).

The analogy is pretty logical. Souls being the clothes, and dirt being the evil on Earth.
The analogy could not be further from logical. Can clothes manifest their cleaness ? Are they inclined to remain clean ? Are they thinking beings that manifest their nature ? Are we expected to find signs of their cleaness in nature as testimony ?
Souls you say...Do you have any proof that such a thing exists ? And the clothes get dirty because something made them dirty. What makes "souls" become "dirty" and push people to believe in polytheism ?

Those (evil) desires, let's talk a little about them instead of repeating the same thing: One of them is stubbornness, and bias. When the same incident in football is watched by United and Chelsea fans (live or in 50/50 calls), most United fans will have a different opinion about it than the majority of the Chelsea fans. It's not because they were originally different type of people, or because they had (originally) different understanding about football. It's because they want their team to benefit.. That's one common example about how what you want affects the judgement or the action of people, in a big way, and makes them lose their objectivity, or neutrality in their thinking.. And this is not only among atheists, it's also among christians, Muslims, different sects of Muslims, ...etc.

So you are saying that one of the evil desires you talked about is bias (how ironic !). You know what can make people biased ? Their nature. If people are naturally born to believe in something, it will affect their judgements. What God is saying in your analogy is that all people are born as United fans. So people should all be biased towards monotheism yet it appears late in religions' development.

That's wrong. Islam believe that Adam was the first prophet. Abraham is just as much a prophet as Adam, Moses, Jesus and Mohammad.

The term 'Abrahamic religions' refers not which person the religions consider their first prophet, but refers to the story that Abraham had sons with two different women (what a sexist cnut, eh? Why can't his wife have a second lover too?) and that those sons went off and became their distinct civilizations.

And if Adam was the first prophet, then surely you're referring to the Fitrah which you just told Werewolf isn't that important?

You are talking nonsense. In religions with multiple Gods, each one serves a certain function. This constitutes a vision and approach to life that is radically different and incompatible with believing in one God. Those Gods formed a pantheon and constituted the reigning religion. Again, the notion of monotheism did not appear until later.

The analogy could not be further from logical. Can clothes manifest their cleaness ? Are they inclined to remain clean ? Are they thinking beings that manifest their nature ? Are we expected to find signs of their cleaness in nature as testimony ?
Souls you say...Do you have any proof that such a thing exists ? And the clothes get dirty because something made them dirty. What makes "souls" become "dirty" and push people to believe in polytheism ?

So you are saying that one of the evil desires you talked about is bias (how ironic !). You know what can make people biased ? Their nature. If people are naturally born to believe in something, it will affect their judgements. What God is saying in your analogy is that all people are born as United fans. So people should all be biased towards monotheism yet it appears late in religions' development.

What kind of nonsense is this?! I'm not talking about the people who believed in the Gods you found. It's so ignorant to think that when you find something dating back to 100,000 years ago then that means that everybody who lived thousands of years after and before that believed in it. What kind of bullsh*t is that?!

Read my previous post. The comparison you're making doesn't make any sense. Souls also don't have "sleeves", so?! Who said that souls are inclined to remain clean? We're talking about it's primary status, not its inclination. Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

You also seem to think that being a mono-theist means that you declare to the world that you're a Muslim! Or you're a Christian! Do you know that many Muslims are actually poly-theists? Solve this riddle!

The difference is you're calling "bias" as the nature of (the soul) of everybody.. We believe that people become biased because they choose to get biased to make personal gains. If there was no hate, if everybody got everything he wants, nobody would be biased. The more people hate, the more people get biased.. The more people love things, the more they get biased. In a neutral situation people are actually inclined not to get biased, and to be fair and objective..

The term 'Abrahamic religions' refers not which person the religions consider their first prophet, but refers to the story that Abraham had sons with two different women (what a sexist cnut, eh? Why can't his wife have a second lover too?) and that those sons went off and became their distinct civilizations.

And if Adam was the first prophet, then surely you're referring to the Fitrah which you just told Werewolf isn't that important?

But Islam also tell stories about other prophets. Nothing special about Abraham..

No Adam was a prophet just like Abraham was a prophet.

What does that have to do with it? They're called the Abrahamic religions for that reason.

What did Adam teach us then? That he didn't really exist?
Because your claim is wrong. Abraham was not the first to call for one God. Adam was the first one to call for one God.

You still didn't give an answer..
Danny, I wish I could give you an answer, but I have no idea what you're on about.

You've gone completely cuckoo. What relevance do genetics have to this weird tangent we are going off on is beyond me.

Because your claim is wrong. Abraham was not the first to call for one God. Adam was the first one to call for one God.

And you know this because Muhammad said so hundreds of thousands of years after a first human who definitely didn't exist?

And, again, 'Abrahamic religions' as a phrase has nothing to do with who was the first prophet or any such thing. It just has to do with the story of him having sons who supposedly started their own civilizations. If you want to take this up with the people who coined the phrase, go for it.

What kind of nonsense is this?! I'm not talking about the people who believed in the Gods you found. It's so ignorant to think that when you find something dating back to 100,000 years ago then that means that everybody who lived thousands of years after and before that believed in it. What kind of bullsh*t is that?!

Listen, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that there was a monotheistic religion before the Abrahamic ones came along. There is overwhelming evidence that those people believed in everything but one God. Islam is making an extraordinary claim which says that everyone is born a Muslim. Thus you not only need evidence, but you need extraordinary evidence to back this claim. There is none. You can claim whatever you want, the burden of proof is on you. I could claim that people then believed in the flying spaghetti monster and you would ask me for proof. Not only this but we know that certain organizations of people favor certain religions. The nature of hunter-gatherers societies favored a certain type of religion and the transition to sedentary lifestyle favored another type of religion. It is the organization of society (economic, social,...) that favors certain kinds of religions, political systems, etc which in turn influence on the organization of society. You find this notion in Karl Marx's superstructure/base concept.
Thus, not only is there no evidence of monotheistic religions before Abrahamic ones but even what we know about the lifestyle of people throughout history would not have favored the apparition of monotheistic religion. It would have been counter-productive for those people and thus not in their nature.

Read my previous post. The comparison you're making doesn't make any sense. Souls also don't have "sleeves", so?! Who said that souls are inclined to remain clean? We're talking about it's primary status, not its inclination. Are you sure you know what you're talking about?
Again, do you have any proof that souls exist ?
Fitrah means that people are born with their brain "wired" a certain way so that they believe in one God. Of course they would be inclined to believe in one God, their brains would be wired that way !

You also seem to think that being a mono-theist means that you declare to the world that you're a Muslim! Or you're a Christian! Do you know that many Muslims are actually poly-theists? Solve this riddle!

Oh really ? Enlighten me please !

The difference is you're calling "bias" as the nature of (the soul) of everybody.. We believe that people become biased because they choose to get biased to make personal gains. If there was no hate, if everybody got everything he wants, nobody would be biased. The more people hate, the more people get biased.. The more people love things, the more they get biased. In a neutral situation people are actually inclined not to get biased, and to be fair and objective..

Fitrah is real = People are naturally biased to believe in one God. Simple. If all people are naturally biased to believe in one God, monotheism would have appeared a long time ago, in the first manifestations of religion. You can deny this as much as you want it is simple logic.

And you still did not show me what bad influences make people become polytheist.