Raphaël Varane | Retires

Retires at only 31 years old, but with a full trophy cabinet including multiple Champions League and La Liga titles, a World Cup, and an EFL Cup.

Great player to watch. Sad he couldn't go on any longer.

Retires at only 31 years old, but with a full trophy cabinet including multiple Champions League and La Liga titles, a World Cup, and an EFL Cup.

Great player to watch. Sad he couldn't go on any longer.

He was quite critical of the increase in amount of games in football, I think its possible we may see this happen to more players.
He was very injury prone though, but the thing he mentioned about concussion and having headaches regularly due to heading the ball was a bit worrying

A shame for him but he's had a great career and won loads of trophies. Looks like he will be living in Como for awhile which is alright I guess

Shame he's finished at 31, but realistically he only had so much time left anyway given he was already at Como's level.

And even if he had retired at 28 he'd have been walking away with a stellar career. Multiple La Liga titles, multiple CLs and a World Cup. Doesn't get much better than that.

Hugely likeable player and personality and an immensely talented defender.

Unfortunately for him I also think due to his quiet nature I can’t help but think that he won’t get the recognition he deserves as a legend of the game due to the fact he played alongside Ramos and in a team that contained 2 in the conversation for GOAT in their positions and about 7 or 8 other genuinely world class stars.
Spot on on both points. Varane belongs in that category of universally respected players for his humility and class, and he's underrated for the reasons you mentionned. All-time great defender without a doubt.

Legend, hope he becomes a top notch manager. Would love him to stay in the game.

Real know exactly when to sell their players don’t they? Feels like we always get their chump change.

Class player at his peak and really liked him in his time here, shame injuries had fecked him by then.

ETH’s tactics last season took 6 or 7 years off the poor bastard’s career.

Real know exactly when to sell their players don’t they? Feels like we always get their chump change.

Class player at his peak and really liked him in his time here, shame injuries had fecked him by then.

He was hardly chump change for us though - he was our best CB for the 3 years he was here.

One of my favourite defenders and probably the most likeable guy in the squad over the last 3 seasons. Such a shame we didn't get to see more of him.

That's why I'm always sceptical when Real or Bayern, the two best run clubs in world football, are willing to sell us a player. De Ligt looking good so far though!

I think both Ozil and Di Maria had very good careers after Real. Di Maria just didn't settle here and didn't fit LVGs "philosophy". He was immense for PSG.

I'd be wary of saying "they were right to sell" based on the fact those players won less in their post-Real career than R.Madrid did as a club. You're comparing a single player to a club, in that case, and the world's best club at that. It's not a good indicator of whether that individual player should have been sold or not. There's no crystal ball that will show you the alternate future if they had stayed at Real.

The guy has won pretty much everything you can win in football. Not many players can say that.

Always came across as a lovely guy and speaks highly of playing for United, despite his injuries. He's always been respectful when talking about the club, which is more than could be said for some professionals.

Was hoping he'd do a year at Celtic for a giggle!

Wish him all the best in his retirement and his next adventure.

A class player and human being. My favorite United player in recent history. Really hope we could see him in management soon.

Really sad, but not surprising obviously.

What an incredible career though, especially in a relatively short career overall. I'm delighted that we were able to have him play for us, and that he went out winning the FA Cup having played fantastically well in that match as well.

Best wishes to him; I'm sure he'll have a brilliant future.

What a classy player, and a wonderful person. Genuinely seemed to love playing for us as well. Just wish it was from Lens, but I'm happy for him that he won everything.

Given some of his comments on concussion over the years I wont be surprised if in future years we see him suffering from brain injury problems

Might be a bit too early, but no need for him to continue and become a meme.

Has won it all, and was one of the best defenders of his generation (probably just Ramos, Silva and van Diijk rank higher than him).

All the very best to him in his retirement. Such a classy defender and seems like a true gentleman too with many of his former teammates wishing him well.

Must be so difficult for a professional when your body can't do it anymore.
Glad we dodged a bullet for once (I must admit I thought we should have kept him!).

Hope he enjoys his retirement!