Race to the bottom: 3 worst managers of the competition?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Staff
Players at their disposal
Tactics
In-game management
Substitutions
Utilisation

Who’s been the worst of the worst?

Looking forward to another ETH thread. Interested to know who @hobbers nominates, for example.

Martinez
Deschamps
Southgate

Considering the squads at their disposal, feck me it's criminal that they play like prime Stoke City.

But Martinez is the worst of the lot the way he lets Ronaldo do whatever the feck he wants.

Southgate
Dechamps
Martinez
Tedesco

Koeman's cack too, but making the semi's with this squad would make it hard to put him in and at least we're not THAT boring.

Deschamps
Southgate
Martinez

Has to be Deschamps, Martinez and Southgate.
That's delusional. France is in the SF, Portugal lost a QF on penalties to France - while outplaying them - and England are in the QF. You could say they've been bad but there's managers who have been outright catastrophes for their sides

I'd say Spalletti, Piksi and the third...right now I'd say Tedesco. Southgate could bump him off later tonight though :cool:

Serious question to all - if England reach the final and lose to France, are you still saying Southgate is the worst manager at the tournament?

France has got to be the worst. It's actually insane.

No goal in play for almost 600 minutes.... somehow in the semi finals

Saying Deschamps when he’s in the semi is just stupid.

Tedesco, Martinez, Stojković

So if England reach the semi's you think Southgate is a competent manager?

A team with Dembele, Thuram, Mbappe, Griezmann, Coman, Muani have not scored in almost 600 minutes of football...

Ralf Rangnick - He’s not even a coach.

Steve Clarke - Losing 5-1 to a team with Kai Havertz as a striker is unacceptable.

Luciano Spaletti - Setting it up in that manner against a Croatian team that did nothing but passing it sideways and backwards for years, was criminal.

Serious question to all - if England reach the final and lose to France, are you still saying Southgate is the worst manager at the tournament?

I mean Southgate is probably a better manager than Steve Clarke.

If he scrapes through to the final by beating Slovenia, Switzerland and Turkiye with a squad that has the best player from the top 3 leagues ect.

I'm not sure that for example would suddenly make him a good manager.

Spaletti.

Couldn’t make a decision on a formation or style of play and ended up fudging it, getting off with it under the guise that the players aren’t that good anymore.

There was more than enough talent to put together a cohesive and dangerous team, but he couldn’t commit fully to a formation that he traditionally didn’t use and left it way too late to decide who would be starting.

Failed to define anything and got the best out of very few players. Biggest fail of the tournament by far.

You can’t put managers who are in the quarter/semi final above him.

Deschamps may be a boring coach but he gets results and it can’t be only attributed to luck. He hasn’t lost a knockout out game in 90 minutes since 2014… Actually got very unlucky in 2016. He also was a decent club manager. Comparing him to Southgate and Martinez is disrespectful…

Deschamps may be a boring coach but he gets results and it can’t be only attributed to luck. He hasn’t lost a knockout out game in 90 minutes since 2014… Actually got very unlucky in 2016. He also was a decent club manager. Comparing him to Southgate and Martinez is disrespectful…

Yeah any mentions of Deschamps is rank stupidity.

That's delusional. France is in the SF, Portugal lost a QF on penalties to France - while outplaying them - and England are in the QF. You could say they've been bad but there's managers who have been outright catastrophes for their sides

I'd say Spalletti, Piksi and the third...right now I'd say Tedesco. Southgate could bump him off later tonight though :cool:

Reaching the later stages shouldn't be the only prerequisite to not being a bad manager. Di Matteo won the UCL and people still, rightfully, didn't claim he was a good manager. If a team is barely scrapping it through the tournament, especially when their team has one of the best squads, then the manager should be called out.

that's not what this thread is about though. It's asking about the *worst* managers, not who is bad. There is no way France make the semifinal with one of the worst managers in the tournament

For the record I reckon Southgate has actually been one of the 3 worst managers in the tournament through the first 4 games, but England are still in it so he has a chance to improve yet

Spaletti.

Couldn’t make a decision on a formation or style of play and ended up fudging it, getting off with it under the guise that the players aren’t that good anymore.

There was more than enough talent to put together a cohesive and dangerous team, but he couldn’t commit fully to a formation that he traditionally didn’t use and left it way too late to decide who would be starting.

Failed to define anything and got the best out of very few players. Biggest fail of the tournament by far.

You can’t put managers who are in the quarter/semi final above him.
Yep, thank you. Only other guy who has been this bad is Southgate but he's still in it by the grace of Bellingham so too early to mention imo

And Piksi was last seen doing tricks with the ball on the sidelines while Mitrovic and Tadic were trying to coach the least organized team in the tournament while playing

Saying Deschamps when he’s in the semi is just stupid.

Tedesco, Martinez, Stojković

Stojkovic is a good shout. He was among the best paid coaches at the tournament and had a good side available. Serbia should have gone past the group stage.

Reaching the later stages shouldn't be the only prerequisite to not being a bad manager. Di Matteo won the UCL and people still, rightfully, didn't claim he was a good manager. If a team is barely scrapping it through the tournament, especially when their team has one of the best squads, then the manager should be called out.
This thread is titled "3 worst managers in the competition"

A team with Dembele, Thuram, Mbappe, Griezmann, Coman, Muani have not scored in almost 600 minutes of football...

People somehow can't discern between results and performance level.

Southgate is like a really dumb bank robber who's been lucky that he's accidentally robbed the most inept banks at the right times, not because of his own doing. Doesn't mean he's good at robbing banks because he's gotten away with it a few times. Let's see how he does when he tries to rob Fort Knox.

Southgate
Southgate
Southgate

No one does less with more. For 3 major tournaments in a row.

The man has plot armor or something.

1. Roberto Martinez - seriously, no matter how bad Southgate is, what Martinez did with Ronaldo this tournament (and especially yesterday) is the worst bit of management I've ever seen in my life. Joke of a manager and he proves it at every club
  2. Gareth Southgate - obviously
  3. Deschamps - Fair play he gets results. But he's a true football terrorist. Committed to the cause of playing 3 defensive midfielders in every game, in 5 games has 1 penalty and 2 own goals. Lucky as feck that he has that level of talent, because his tactics are horrendous.

This seems like a good opportunity to let of steam. I think it’s actually insulting to the fans how many managers make their teams play. People travel from close and far, invest money and vacation days to watch their teams, and guys like Tedesco and Deschamps reward them with football that is as aesthetically pleasing as gonorrhoea.
If you think it’s ok to make millions suffer through watching a team with Mbappe, Dembele, Muani, Griezmann and so on without getting close to score an actual goal, you hate the sport and deserve to be walk home without shoes.
Don’t mind underdogs playing like that. But France and Belgium are just shameful examples of cowardice.

Not really delusional as they have done very poorly with the resources they have. Smaller and weaker teams maximised their potential.

It has to be Piksi, Tedesco, Spalletti and Martinez. That is 4, not three, but all 4 are good shouts.

Update: Southgate continues to be terrible. England are still in it so I keep witholding final judgement :lol:

Spalletti, Stojkovic...would make it the 3 S :cool:

Blame the players, not deschamps. Portugal game was bad, but in the others games the French have missed big chance after big chance after etc. Griez managed to miss 2 sitter in 30 second vs the Dutch. Mbappe one on one Giroud sitter vs austria. The French have created more than enough chances and been very wasteful.

Southgate, Deschamps, spalletti… yes 2 of them are in the semi final but their football is awful. France haven’t scored an open goal yet this tournament. Them and England have 2 of the most talented squads.

I think what Martinez did is far worse than anything others did. We could argue about choices and preferences of at least ten managers, possibly of every single one of them in the tournament, but what is in common for all of them, apart from Martinez, is they did it for footballing reasons.

I criticize Southgate a lot, but he plays who he plays, and plays the way he plays, because he honestly believes that is the way to go.

With Martinez and his obsession with Cristiano Ronaldo, it is something different. He deliberately sacrificed his team's chances of winning the tournament because of Ronaldo. And I am not saying it just because he played him all the time, it was ridiculous to allow him to take those idiotic free kicks from literally anywhere on the field.

I have never seen manager so bent on pleasing one player's ego, that he was literally willing to destroy whatever reputation he's had, not just as a football manager, but also as a leader, boss, call it whatever. He is by far the biggest disappointment on a scale greater than football.

I think what Martinez did is far worse than anything others did. We could argue about choices and preferences of at least ten managers, possibly of every single one of them in the tournament, but what is in common for all of them, apart from Martinez, is they did it for footballing reasons.

I criticize Southgate a lot, but he plays who he plays, and plays the way he plays, because he honestly believes that is the way to go.

With Martinez and his obsession with Cristiano Ronaldo, it is something different. He deliberately sacrificed his team's chances of winning the tournament because of Ronaldo. And I am not saying it just because he played him all the time, it was ridiculous to allow him to take those idiotic free kicks from literally anywhere on the field.

I have never seen manager so bent on pleasing one player's ego, that he was literally willing to destroy whatever reputation he's had, not just as a football manager, but also as a leader, boss, call it whatever. He is by far the biggest disappointment on a scale greater than football.
I have never rated Martinez. He under-achieved with Belgium, With such a talented squad he should have won something