Premier League Gameweek 38: Endgame

Don't think so, Klopp is better right now. Klopp can build teams from scratch with a much smaller budget than Pep can. The fact that Klopp managed to get this Pool team to 97 points is astonishing to me. Pep wouldn't be to able to.

Maybe so, but he wont get 97 points again. Luck, injuries, form drops etc and other teams sussing them out a bit, and improving themselves will prevent it. Top six will get better results against Liverpool next season.

There's no trophy at the end of it .. does that count as a loss?

We haven't technically lost anything whereas you lost the PL trophy.
You lost third place to Chelsea Squishy. You lost...loser.

Come on let me have this.

Dion Dublin “you will never get excuses from Klopp” is he serious?

Martin Keown “it’s all about class and sportsmanship not like it was with Ferguson” is he serious?

One of the most ludicrous football seasons I can remember. City are ridiculously good and surely going to get better next year? Will Liverpool or some other team push 100 points next season to challenge them?

No idea how we've finished third, crazy thing is even our best team and points total ever from 04/05 would still have come third. Just have to ignore the champions league final, and this has been a good season, whatever the result in the EL final against Arsenal.

Hopefully you’re crying on June 1st as well. :p

When was the last three way split for the golden boot?

One of those where I'm happy to accept you're favourites so I'm properly braced for disappointment. I guess it was a similar story for you guys today.

Feck knows, but I swear half of Mane's were offside :lol:.

One of those where I'm happy to accept you're favourites so I'm properly braced for disappointment. I guess it was a similar story for you guys today.

Feck knows, but I swear half of Mane's were offside :lol:.
They were. :lol: All headers from a TAA cross as well.

Nah we’ve had some serious luck to get there. Guardiola’s style of play dominates pretty much every opponent in the league. He’s the best imo.

He might dominate, but he needs a very specific bunch of players (and a lot of money) to play that style and can't adapt with lesser players. Klopp is able to do well with a lesser group of players and adapt his style, as he has this season.

Pep is great but he isn't one of the best I think, it's very subjective based on the players he has. If he has his players then he is arguably the greatest of all time. I don't think any manager bar probably Michels and Cryuff could do what he did with that Barca team.

Anyways that is going slightly off topic, for this season given what Klopp has accomplished, 97 points and a UCL final, I would have to put him ahead of Pep.

I mean it's a stupid stat because it only accounts the 2-0 score line, considering we lost 6-1 to City at home.
It’s just random that you’ve lost by all these other score lines at OT and not 2-0.

I mean it's a stupid stat because it only accounts the 2-0 score line and considering we lost 6-1 to City at home it has been alot worse.

It’s a curious stat. I don’t think anyone is claiming any different.

Losing to Cardiff at home is properly shit though. Like new levels of terrible.

Who else did Cardiff actually beat away from home?

He might dominate, but he needs a very specific bunch of players (and a lot of money) to play that style and can't adapt with lesser players. Klopp is able to do well with a lesser group of players and adapt his style, as he has this season.
He has enough knowledge, along with energy and charisma, to overachieve with a lesser squad by playing more conservative/reactive football. Many managers accomplish such feats from time to time. What he does is something that basically no other coach is capable of these days. There were and are other managers with top squads at their disposal, but not one comes even close to that level of consistency and brilliance. You just have to watch matches to see how well coached his teams are, never mind the trophies. Credit where it's due.

Well, It's not hard to understand considering we've got a huddersfield level manager.

Leicester, Brighton and Southampton. Only lost narrowly at Spurs and Arsenal.

Home form been more of a let down for Cardiff. It hasn't been a fortress that other promoted teams have created.

He has enough knowledge, along with energy and charisma, to overachieve with a lesser squad by playing more conservative/reactive football. Many managers accomplish such feats from time to time. What he does is something that basically no other coach is capable of these days. There were and are other managers with top squads at their disposal, but not one comes even close to that level of consistency and brilliance. You just have to watch matches to see how well coached his teams are, never mind the trophies. Credit where it's due.

If he had that knowledge he wouldn't have come third in his first season at City where he didn't have players built specifically for his playing style, or fail to win the UCL with Bayern's talented squad.

Again, it's very subjective to me with regards how you want to rate a manager. If you want to rate his ability to manage the best teams then like I said there isn't a manager in history to reach the peaks he did with Barca, including Sir Alex. Does that mean he's a better manager than Sir Alex? Ofcourse not because SAF managed to be successful with different groups of players using different playing styles.

To me, rating a manager should not just be how good he is with the best squads but how he manages with squads of lower quality, that is where I think Pep loses out a bit.

If he had that knowledge he wouldn't have come third in his first season at City where he didn't have players built specifically for his playing style, or fail to win the UCL with Bayern's talented squad.
You really think he wouldn't be capable of setting his team to play more conservatively? Like, he wouldn't be able to figure how to do that? Are you serious? Literally every decent manager is able to motivate a squad to overachieve. Didn't he have some kind of big success with Barca B side in lower leagues? I guess that should be more impressive to you than unprecedented brilliance and consistency at the highest level.

If anything, Guardiola has shown that he is more than just competent. Many managers that have overachieved for a couple of seasons have been found wanting when given the reigns of top squad. I don't remember a single one that managed to accomplish the level of sheer footballing quality that Guardiola brings to his teams. Anyway, when I see someone putting results of cup competitions as the ultimate measure of everything, that's when I tune out.

It’s a curious stat. I don’t think anyone is claiming any different.

It might at least show that under SAF when we did go down we attacked a lot and would rather let in more goals and score 1-2 than accept being beaten by 2 goals.

Under Moyes you could see results like that not being rare, but I guess we lost 3-0, 1-0, 2-1 and so on instead that season.

Leicester, Brighton and Southampton. Only lost narrowly at Spurs and Arsenal.

Home form been more of a let down for Cardiff. It hasn't been a fortress that other promoted teams have created.

Fair. Thought that they had been pretty good at home but does seem to have been disappointing.

Maybe so, but he wont get 97 points again. Luck, injuries, form drops etc and other teams sussing them out a bit, and improving themselves will prevent it. Top six will get better results against Liverpool next season.

Don't forget VAR. Have we had VAR this season, Liverpool wouldn't be anywhere close to 97 points.

Don't forget VAR. Have we had VAR this season, Liverpool wouldn't be anywhere close to 97 points.

I know Liverpool had run of decisions but you could twist it other way. For example VAR could've easily sent off Kompany at 0-0 in the game in January.

I know Liverpool had run of decisions but you could twist it other way. For example VAR could've easily sent off Kompany at 0-0 in the game in January.
People prefer to ignore logical comments like that.

It’s as if we get favourable decisions every season. This year was a bizarre one in which we benefited most from poor officiating. Next year we might gain the most from VAR.

Football’s weird like that.

It’s far too simplistic to assume that games are going to be exactly the same next season though.

You really think he wouldn't be capable of setting his team to play more conservatively? Like, he wouldn't be able to figure how to do that? Are you serious? Literally every decent manager is able to motivate a squad to overachieve. Didn't he have some kind of big success with Barca B side in lower leagues? I guess that should be more impressive to you than unprecedented brilliance and consistency at the highest level.

If anything, Guardiola has shown that he is more than just competent. Many managers that have overachieved for a couple of seasons have been found wanting when given the reigns of top squad. I don't remember a single one that managed to accomplish the level of sheer footballing quality that Guardiola brings to his teams. Anyway, when I see someone putting results of cup competitions as the ultimate measure of everything, that's when I tune out.

If he would be able to, he would've been able to get to atleast one UCL final in the last 6 years managing the best teams in Europe. Yet, in almost all his years, he went out because he his team was too defensively vulnerable and we being caught on the counter (Real 2014, Atletico 2016, Monaco 2017, Liverpool 2018, Spurs 2019). That weakness of his has been exploited time and time again, we've seen Klopp change his system to avoid those problems which plagued him last season, which is why they have had a much better defensive record this season in the league and Europe but Pep doesn't seem to have that plan B. That was his problem at Bayern and has been for City in Europe.

Liverpool will still be excellent next season, VAR or not.

They got to the final of the biggest competition in club football with VAR in play. They're clearly just a brilliant side, anything else is denial.

City will still *probably* win the league again, but that's more a testament to how much of a machine a Guardiola side is in the league than anything else.

If he would be able to, he would've been able to get to atleast one UCL final in the last 6 years managing the best teams in Europe. Yet, in almost all his years, he went out because he his team was too defensively vulnerable and we being caught on the counter (Real 2014, Atletico 2016, Monaco 2017, Liverpool 2018, Spurs 2019). That weakness of his has been exploited time and time again, we've seen Klopp change his system to avoid those problems which plagued him last season, which is why they have had a much better defensive record this season in the league and Europe but Pep doesn't seem to have that plan B. That was his problem at Bayern and has been for City in Europe.
There's no point to measure anything by results of cup competitions. By the way, I think there is an argument that sides playing football based on possession and control are somewhat fragile in stressful and chaotic knockout environment. But in the end it's small margins and these competitions are basically a lottery. City have been knocked out two times by away goals rule. All kinds of conclusions and narratives could be drawn up from results of these cup competitions, and most of them are usually nonsense. League table and performance level throughout the years tell a better story.

People prefer to ignore logical comments like that.

It’s as if we get favourable decisions every season. This year was a bizarre one in which we benefited most from poor officiating. Next year we might gain the most from VAR.

Football’s weird like that.

It’s far too simplistic to assume that games are going to be exactly the same next season though.

Congrats for winning the league.

We do have expensive team, there's no single United supporter who doesn't know that, but we also know that money we've spent was given to average players.

Liverpool supporters act as all players that play for them signed for free and out of love for Liverpool, forgetting that Klopp spent left, right and centre to build his team.

Only some Liverpool supporters. Same way for United supporters. I remember many, even non-british people and neutrals, praying for Barcelona to defeat United in 2009 because they were tired of the arrogance of many United supporters.

I can’t believe this same team beat Barcelona 4-0.

Wolverhampton always make tough games against the big teams in the PL.

Not sure where to best post this but didn't get to watch the game and seems like I didn't miss much.

What I'm curious about tho- did folks get any sense what players are on their way out based on their actions following the whistle?