Predictions for Depay's debut season?

Shirt number?
Don't care.

Immediate starter or squad player?
Sub. Will have hope to Young's form dips for him to start games.

Will he be seen as another player that Van Gaal has misused (ie Di Maria, Rooney)?
No. However, he might be seen as an unnecessary signing when people realize he's not much of a creator.

How many goals will he score?

Out of ten, how good of a season, on a personal level, will he have?

He will start as a sub with Young (at least) ahead of him. I don’t think he will be a starter in first half of the season, we still have Di Maria/Nani and Januzaj.

Will not be misused as he isn’t very versatile, although I expect van Gaal to play him a few times as a striker to see that it doesn’t work and he will go back to attacking wide player position.

Will score 5, assist 3. 6/10 season.

I don’t know if people really rate him that high to say he will get 20 G+A or it’s just because they are exited.

Last edited:
12-15 goals
5-7 assists
8/10 with some irritation at constant shooting.
Starter with form dips but generally speaking first team with some rotation.

I also predict we'll still have the Memphis/Depay name debate in 12 months time too. I call him Memphis fwiw.

Forgot to add, unless Ronaldo comes - I'll have a shirt with his name on the back too. Muppet mode to reality promise made early in the transfer thread.

I think he'l hit the ground running, be straight in. First choice left winger and basically be an instant success.

We have to remember, he's a young developing winger / forward. And by its nature he may have quiet spells in games and maybe be frustrating at times.

I am excited to see him and shaw develop a partnership over the next 10 years. Its those kind of partnerships that we have been missing for a long long time all over the pitch

Shirt number?
I think van Gaal takes shirt numbers seriously (see Wilson) so it won't be any randomly picked.

I expect him to be a starter. He's already posted sit up vines with comments about getting ready for Man Utd or something like that. Van Gaal likes players who practice with dedication.

Will he be seen as another player that Van Gaal has misused (ie Di Maria, Rooney)?
No.

Hopefully two digits in the PL. 7-12.

If he adapts quickly to PL it's going to be close to ten. 8/10

Shirt number?
Don't really care.

Unless he seriously impresses in the pre-season as others have said, Young will be given the go ahead, at least initially, before Depay is bled into the starting lineup. They'll be on rotation for the remainder depending on form, fitness, tactics etc.

Not really. It's difficult to misuse a player like Depay who seems to have a skill set largely only relevant to that left wing / forward slot. He will play a similar role to Young, with more license to dip inside and shoot.

Between 5 and 15, with the higher bound representing a successful season and lower representing struggle. I think it will be within that range.

6-7 out of 10. New league, new environment, new teammates, new experience etc. He will have a lot going for him when it's judgement time, but he definitely seems to have the work ethic and drive to at least try. I doubt anyone will really be awed by his ability or potential, but I'd be glad to be wrong and see him take to the league like Alexis Sanchez in the earlier half of the season.

He will get injured for 9 months in his first game, come back and get injured for another three and thus complete his first season with us, having played 68 minutes and touched the ball about 10 times.

/jk but I'm affraid a lot of people expect too much from the young fella

Shirt number?
Don't care.

Will be a squad player, but could make an impact later in the season once he's comfortable. I expect a few starts against teams that park the bus.

No.

8. Assist 8 or more.

Shirt number?
Welcome our new Number 7

Immediate
No
9/10

I think....

He'll take the number 14 shirt

I think LVG will start him from the start and sub him off at back end of games

If we give him free kick duty then I can easily see him scoring 10+ And assisting into double figures too.

It's very exciting. He has only played a couple Champions League qualifiers and some Europa League matches for PSV, so he's not really that accustomed to an international level yet. His form for Holland hasn't been really impressive either, scoring 2 goals in 15 caps.

The big plus however, is that both of his goals for Holland were scored during the World Cup, that's excellent. Van Gaal obviously liked him in Brazil so there aren't too many worries about him settling in at a higher level.

Not sure about the shirt number, since Van Gaal can be neurotic about that.

My guess would be Memphis being used as an impact sub with the occasional start for the first six months.

He hasn't really played much on another position than the left wing, so no misusing.

If he scores 10 goals next season in all leagues combined, gives a couple of assists and creates a bit of mayhem I'd say that would be an excellent first year for Memphis.

Shirt number?
19/17/9

Immediate starter

Yes, initially.

7 or 8

He won't tear the league apart, but i dont expect him to regress.

Shirt number?

Immediate starter

No, will fit perfectly

13 goals, 9 assist

7/10

Shirt number?
Probably 11/14/17 or something like that.

It will depend on preseason. A good preseason can mean he starts immediately, otherwise he'll be eased in as a supersub at first. I think he'll get plenty of games rotating with Young, how many will depend of his performances. Even from the bench he can make an impact so he'll get loads of minutes.

He's most effective as a left winger, I can only see van Gaal playing him as a striker/right winger when shit hits the fan with injuries again. So I don't he will be misused since he's not particulary multifunctional.

If he can take freekicks regularly I can see him scoring 10+ goals. I think he'll score 9-13 goals.

He will have his ups and downs but the fans will love him for his never give up mentality. I think he'll have a decent to good season, barring injuries. He's never been plagued much by injuries so he shouldn't miss too much matches with knocks.
He'll be plenty involved, show his talent but lack the consistency to be a top class winger yet.

Also, why did you ask for a number out of 10 on the last one and then not put on yourself? :)

Edited. :D

Some interesting replies here. I think I am expecting more from him than most others, it seems that a lot of people aren't really expecting him to hit the ground running. I feel that his physique (he is huge) and style of play will make him an immediate favourite here, and I can see him starting a lot of games. Most people agree that he will be played in his position, though, which is reassuring. I really hope we see a lot of wing-play next season.

Wow, a lot of expectation placed on him!

Personally, I'm expecting no more than 5 goals and at a stretch, 7-10 assists.

Edit: Hope I'm proven wrong! And I see him getting #17

Shirt number?
DPayz19

In the middle of that.

Unlikely.

Hopefully double digits.

Personal level? For him or me? Anything above a 7 would be great.

Shirt number?

Think he'll get integrated in slowly but be a starter by the second half of the season.

Nah.

10+

7/10. Room to improve and signs that it will happen.

5-6 goals and about that many assists. I think he's gonna be a very good player here, just not expecting him to get double digits in his first season because he's got big competition for his place, assuming di Maria stays

Just looked and Hazard got 13 in 62 in his first season, and Depay wont play nearly that many games. Different players ofc but you see what I'm getting at.

Last edited:
Shirt number?
Could get #14 if Chicharito leaves.

He'll be rotated on the left with Young, used as an impact sub in some of the big games.

Some people will probably jump the gun after he doesn't bang in 20 goals in his first season, but by most he will be seen as a good signing with great room to improve.

How many goals will he score/assist?
Not expecting big numbers for his first season, 7 goals and 5 assists.

7/10. Solid season, will impress in some games and look bad in quite a few but all to expect in his first season here. Will show his best form toward the latter half of the season.

Shirt number?

Starter

Will he be seen as another player that Van Gaal has misused (ie Di Maria, Rooney)
No, will play LW

12 goals, 5 assists

7/10

13 goals and 8 assists.

I love the #20 shirt, Ole and RVP so that could be a good shirt for him. Though M20 doesn't really sound great, so maybe M17?

Memphis predicts he will score 15 goals in his latest interview. I swear he logs on here. More suspicion on @NL Max

I want him to get 99 as his number.

Last edited:
No. However, he might be seen as an unnecessary signing when people realize he's not much of a creator.

??? Despite scoring 28 goals last year, he assisted 8.

That's more than anyone at United except Di Maria. By comparison, Young got 5 assists and Mata got 4. They scored 2 goals and 9 goals respectively.
Can't see United fans kicking him out of the bed for a lack of creativity to be honest.

I reckon:

He'll take number 22
Will be a key starter by November
Will work very well with Van Gaal, linking especially well with Herrera (quick through balls and pace)
He'll score in and around 20 goals
8/10 Season - will be seen as a great signing with huge promise.

Some people are being awful generous with the predicted assists.

I reckon 15 goals in all competitions, 20 if he settles in fast and is in the starting XI.

If he repeats this, Ashley Young might not last long. That's HIS game.

Shirt number?
Don't really care at all. 11 if Januzaj goes on loan 20 something if he doesn't.

Squad player, but I believe he will soon establish himself as a starter .

No, to me he has a very clear place as a winger instead of Ashley Young in LVGs system.

Depends on how many games he gets. I'll guess 15.

7. Not outstanding, but clearly will show the potential he has and will establish himself as a starter over Ashley Young.