Predictions for Depay's debut season?

Cantona'sCollar

I am curious to hear what everyone thinks of Depay, and how his first season here will go. A lot of people seem to have the impression that he won't become first XI material immediately, and will have to climb the pecking order, while a lot of others see him as a big player from the start. What are your predictions?

Shirt number?
I can see him taking 14/20 (if Chicha/RVP goes), or even the 23. I feel, however, that he is a #7 type of signing, and would take that number should we sell Di Maria (I doubt we will). He supposedly models his game on Ronaldo, so who knows. :nervous:

Immediate starter or squad player?
I feel that LVG will not afford him total freedom from the start, and will wait to let him prove himself instead. I do think, though, that he will quickly establish himself as a starter by November, at the latest.

Will he be seen as another player that Van Gaal has misused (ie Di Maria, Rooney)?
No. I predict that when he does play, he will always play on the left. On the occasion that Di Maria is on the wing instead of midfield, he (ADM) would be on the right (as LVG has tried before). He's obviously not an option for midfield, so I think it is clear that Van Gaal wants to prioritize wing-play. Depay is perfect for a 433.

How many goals will he score?
With him being so good at free-kicks, as well as being so direct and productive, I would be surprised if he scored below 10. I predict 15 to 20 (as the PL is much tougher than the Erevidise), though I think many would say I am being very optimistic.

Out of ten, how good of a season, on a personal level, will he have?
Barring serious injury, I think that by the end of this season, he will be seen as definite starting XI material. I think most fans will rate him highly after they watch him play regularly I think he'll settle in the PL very well because of his style and physique. 7.5-8/10.

Last edited:
#14, valuable squad player, will score 10-20 playing wide. Van Gaal knows him well.

7-8 goals, 7-8 assists, limited playing time, but valuable experience and some good progression.

Starts the season slowly then a bird shits in his mouth and he becomes the best player in the side.

Shirt number?

Squad Player till Di Maria or Mata's form drops

Will he be seen as another player that Van Gaal has misused (ie Di Maria, Rooney)?
Impact player off the bench initially used effectively by Van Gaal like in the WC.. Might even play off the striker in a 4-4-2

5 goals, 6 assists

7/10, have his moments but not consistent

It depends what you're expecting from him. He won't move mountains but I can see him getting something like 6 goals 6 assists for the season.

I'm expecting a goal or assist every 180 minutes, but It depends on how LvG chooses to set up. If Rooney plays as a false nine and Depay has loads of freedom to get into the box, I'd expect more goals from the latter. I'm not sure that would work with Mata on the other side, though. There's going to be a lot of tinkering going on in the first few months of the season to figure out our best attacking configuration.

Number: 14

Will start off as a squad player but then work his way as a starter pretty quickly. Van gaal will know how to use him and he'll have a very good first season here.
10-15 goals, 5-10 assists in all competitions.

8/10 season with more to come... He'll be a star here long term.

Shirt number?

All depends on pre-season really, we saw from last season how much Van Gaal takes pre-season seriously and it's one of the key reasons we were playing Ashley Young so much. If he has a good one he could force his way in.

Definitely not, strangely I trust Van Gaal more with young players than regulars. He's got a great record of working with young players i.e. Muller/Badstuber etc.

He is a goal scoring winger, if he's on freekick duty it wouldn't surprise me if he scrapes double figures in his first season.

I think he'll gradually improve as he settles, I'm going to say 7.5/10. He's quite use to playing in a 4-3-3 so that's a plus and he knows what Van Gaal expects and he'll be around a better quality of players. I'm very optimistic about him.

Shirt number?
God knows. It will be a high number to start i think.

I think he will start most games but not all. LVG knows him and more importantly he knows LVG's system and fits perfectly in the 433 hes trying to create. He also understands that transition from meaningless possession to rapid attack that we havent been able to master this season.

No. He will fit perfectly in LVG's favourite 433.

In the low teens. This is a much harder league than hes used to, but hes got the pace and power that is usually the stumbling block for imports.

He will have a decent season with a few ups and downs. I think it will be similar to Ronaldos first season but slightly more smoothed out.

- #14 (like #7, but twice as good!)
- Squad player but with regular play. I'll guess about 30-35 appearances if no injuries
- No, LVG has a better grip on the league and our squad. Expecting less tinkering in general next year
- 12 goals in all comps
- 7/10 with moments of inspiration and moments where he's lacking or too selfish (a typical flair player). Also, why did you ask for a number out of 10 on the last one and then not put on yourself? :)

Just hope he doesn't turn into another Di Maria. With these types of players it's really easy for their dribbling to not work out, their confidence drops and they begin to do stupid things and give away the ball.

He'll be a first team regular ahead of Ashley Young

I actually think he'll get the #9... like Sanchez at Barca!

He's a very powerful player and will take to our league extremely well I think. He'll be able to go shoulder to shoulder with any aggressive prem defender - something foreign players are often said to struggle with in England.

Obviously he also has skill and finesse in abundance, so I'm looking forward to watching him play. I think the Prem is the perfect league for his attributes!

Shirt No 77

Immediate Starter

No

First player to score 100 goals in a season

100/10

Squad number 1, like fellow compatriot Edgar Davids wore at Barnet. Or 14 or whatever.

I think he will come right in and start plenty of games. He'll be chock full of momentum after the last two seasons he has had. No need to stump that.

I don't think LvG will misuse him. I would predict he may be used similarly to Robben and be given a lot of freedom to run at defenders and take shots, as that appears to be his primary assets.

10-12. If Mata and Herrera can notch as many as they have this season despite having a troublesome first few months, then I think Depay will get a few more, especially if we don't start fannying about with formations again. Stick with 4-3-3, him on the left of it, and let him attack. And he looks to have a great free kick on him, so I think he can get 2 or 3 from set pieces alone.

6.5 out of 10. I think his numbers will be good, but I think there will be inconsistencies to his overall game to begin with.

I think LVG will turn him into a right back and we will all complain.

12-15 goals - 6-7 assists. Lots of excitement and plenty of moaning about things that don't come off and circular discussions about how its OK for young players to make the wrong decisions and Nani made lots of wrong decisions but got the figures that counted.

I must be in the minority where I think he will become an immediate starter for us. Maybe come off the bench in the first league game, but after that will be starting.

10+ goals and 10+ assists. Would be a great starting achievement.

He's shit in Fifa 15, ergo I conclude he will be shit in real life.

Thanks

5-10 assists, 5-10 goals. great debut season being one of our best attacking players.

Shirt number?
14 i reckon whlist waiting for the number 7 shirt to be avaliable in the next couple of years. He will then get it immediately.

He will have the same effect as Hazard had when he joined Chelsea. Solid 30-40 games and immediate starter from the beginning.

No. First choice left winger.

It would be a fantastic achievement if he managed to get 10 goals and 10 assists next year, however it might be a bit too much.

10/10 if my prediction goes through.

Shirt number?
11 - I think Januzaj will be loaned out and that will free up the no11 and LVG strikes me as quite a pragmatist who will think winger no11 righty ho sorted

depends on the pre season I suppose but my guess is out of the first 10 pl games we will see him on the bench as often as he starts - how he performs in those games and of course how well others do (mata / di maria for example) will determine how it goes from there

I hope not - and it seems either wing would be the best place for him but we may see the odd appearance up front as well - hopefully with a settled formation and less injuries we will in general see all players having a bit more continuity in where they play

I think anything over 10 (in the league) would be a great season a goal or two in Europe would be great and I'm not sure who often he will play in domestic cups so I will say around 10 in all competitions

very subjective but if we say 6 is ok and 7 is good I would say between the two - there is a lot of expectation on him but he has to adjust to his new team mates and of course the PL is a big step up from the Dutch league so Im not expecting him to find his best form instantly.

Some random shirt number, 34 appearances, 11 goals, 5 assists in all comps.

Will be a crowd favourite and he seems to have the confidence to just keep trying even if things haven't worked out so far in a game.

A right mixture of confidence, ability, ego and willingness to improve (he already has all this attributes, just needs to keep the right balance) will get him huge success, even in his first season.

I think he'll really struggle to begin with and will spend plenty of time on the bench, finishes the season quite well though by chipping in with a couple of goals and assists.

I thought we were supposed to call him Memphis? :nervous:
I really can't get myself to call him that. Just as Hernández is Hernández to me 90% of the time, I hate calling him "Chicharito".

Shirt number?
He'll likely take no. 14 shirt, Chicha wont be returning due to the fact he doesnt fit LVGs system. So i can see him going over the summer. Maybe no. 11, Januzaj could go out loan but most likely no.14 atm.

It all depends over pre-season tbh, if he does impress over the campaign, i see no reason why he shouldn't start first match of the season. If he doesnt and still needs taking used to the way LVG system or new players surrounding him, he'll make a few subs before making regular starts.

No. United need wingers and LVG has got one. 433 will be most likely regular formation LVG will be putting out so i can see him either playing on the left or right.

He'll be a massive threat, he's got power, pace, bag of tricks and can score goals from range. He wont be afraid to have a go at goal. overall season i can see him banging in 15+ goals. i can see scoring some free kicks aswell.

Hopefully he'll avoid serious injuries. I think he'll transition will be quick due to management and system their playing and the guy likes to drive forward and attack those full back. So possibly 8/10 for me.