PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Mon, 14 August 2023

Very worried about this midfield. Thought Mount was brought in to be the ball carrying midfielder we sorely lacked, but he was invisible on that capacity. Meanwhile Casemiro looked slow, sloppy, unfit.

Wolves had the whole pitch to themselves on the counter- never seen such an abysmal midfield play. Yes, almost everybody had a night off progressing the ball, including Bruno, but it was all so untidy the responsibility falls on what and where it failed- Mount and Casemiro. Absolutely shambolic performance.

Not sure Amrabat fixes anything. But ETH better look at this fast. The best striker in the world won’t do shit about how bad we looked progressing and creating through the midfield.

People need to calm down with the crisis mode after 1 match.
Undeserved win, but in the opening matches 3 points is all that matters.
Our match fitness was way below Wolves.
Nothing new.

ETH will whip them into shape after this.

It was the fecking new manager bounce.

We’ll be fine, whilst Wolves will revert back to their natural shitness next game.

In SAF’s final season, we scraped past Fulham 3-2 after losing the opener away against Everton. I mean I love hyperbole as much as anyone but let’s not go overboard.
What I suppose I mean is Fergusons best sides at his prime, not his final season first XI. Obviously we scraped through quite a few games but it was -rare- that we got properly outplayed at Old Trafford. It's all too commonplace nowadays, sadly.

Yes, first game of the season. One bad game. Don't be a smartarse.
We’ve looked awful all pre season though. I know it’s only pre season but then you see wolves who had a decent pre season and leather us at home and was lucky to come away with no points

It’s the first game of the season and it’s easy to get carried away.
Everything can change after a few games if we get into our stride.
However, this performance was so bad and there are such glaring issues with our squad, it doesn’t look good.
It wasn’t just a poor performance, it was chaotic and ETH made no effort to bolster the CM after that 1st half.

Just seen the highlights on the sky sports youtube channel - 3 minutes long and only one highlight of us attacking which was the goal we scored. Everything else was wolves. :lol:

We are in trouble.

Smash and grab against a team who's new manager has only had them for 4 days to prepare. The captaincy for Bruno is already weighing heavy and Casemiro was playing walking football.
We have no midfield when the ball gets turned over. We won but there are massive warning signs already.

In SAF’s final season, we scraped past Fulham 3-2 after losing the opener away against Everton. I mean I love hyperbole as much as anyone but let’s not go overboard.
It's not the result but the complete lethargy and lack of effort.

It was the fecking new manager bounce.

We’ll be fine, whilst Wolves will revert back to their natural shitness next game.
Yea that is what I'll attribute it to, to make myself feel better. We were downright atrocious and apart from AWB and Onana not a single player gets any credit for how they played tonight.

First game of the season, eager to mpress, and as a result, we were very sloppy. However, we got the win, which is the main thing.

It goes without saying, but we'll need to start playing much better than we did today if we're to challenge for the title.

Anyone that can organise a box midfield can get joy against us. It's quite honestly alarming. It's happened way too many times.

Onana didn’t look commanding nor did we see any sweeper keeper supreme, Martinez looked like he was still struggling from the injury whilst Shaw was negated by being the man tasked with coming inside to help the midfield.

Mount was absolutely non existent whilst Casemiro looked like he hadn’t had a pre season at all, if the opposition break our press from the front four we’re going to get carved open regularly this season.

Garnacho isn’t ready to start still and is much better coming from the bench with 20-25 minutes to go when the opposition defence is tiring, Rashford is pointless through the middle and Sancho was surely used as a false 9 for a reason whilst I won’t even get started on Antony.

At the end of the day, better than last year and its three points, three valuable points as WOlves were as good as we were poor and we got away with decisions, the run of the ball etc etc.

It is just the first game and far too early to judge and not going to go into individual performances. There were a few postives and a lot of poor ones.

WIth oru summer business, personally didnt get the signing of Mount. Think he is a good player, few West Ham fans tink he will excel in the number role and obviously brings more energy than riksen. I keep hearing these modern tactical experts on sites like thes talking about how he helps a high press, is press resistant....aids transitions etc etc. Am intrigued so see ho ETH uses him.....but all this tactical talk, what about a midfielder that can simply play end to end like we used to have, defend and attack? The worry for me wit Mount is the same one I had with Eriksen.....I thought we could be light defensively, physically and strength in midfield.

Hope it isnt a sign of things to come, but tongihts game oru midfield was very much what I worried about. People slating Casemeiro and he was off the pace and poor....but he was on his own and toally over worked....Mount seemed to be playing in front of him with Fernandes, there were big gaps, he seemed too far forward for me as well to join in bar the fwe breaks we were able to make. Not criticising him as it seemed to be the role he was instructeed to play, looks totally disjointed and weak without the ball to me, needs huge work.....or another midfield signing which is strange when we have Hannibal and Mainoo also who are both talented.

Time will tell, but at the time and so far, still dont get hte Mount signing as profile of what we needed

That was ridiculous. We had no control or composure, no defensive shape or positioning, and were just flying into stupid tackles.

I have massive reservations about Mount.

Proper tumescent stuff. No excitement, timid on the ball, no movement off it. Fantastically lucky to take the 3 points, because a better team tonight would have demolished us.

Mount is everywhere and nowhere at the same time, wins the ball a few times but leaves our midfield absolutely wide open quite a lot as well.
I have been puzzled by this transfer from the start. Are we absolutely sure we couldn`t have found a clueless energy player for less than 60m?
Casemiro walks around the pitch at times. So so slow. So easy to catch when he doesn`t move the ball first touch.
Antony Santos, Antony fecking Santos, my head spins. Neto looks like a young Kaka in comparison.

We need to find something in the transfer market really quick. I would settle for De Jong Tchouameni and Amrabat.

We are playing fecking Wolves at home and you need a towel to wipe your ass every 5 minutes.

Good too see you have realistic expectations. A midfielder who has openly said he has no intentions of leaving, a highly rated youngster who has only been at Madrid for 12 months. Other than that, great transfer target list. We can and will sign amrabat though.

Whether its our first or tenth game recurring issues are always worrying.

Our midfield getting exposed we've seen plenty of times, sloppy passing has never really stopped and certain players walking about in the very first game is infuriating.

I didn't expect to see these things still happening. It's more likely we've not fixed them yet than it is they're just a wobble.

I also wonder whether the new manager change threw us a bit and no-one in our setup knew how they were going to set up and play.

But it did feel like a lot of our outfielders were all dropping really bad performances. It was all very slow and pedestrian as if it was the first game back in pre-season. I get the feeling they might have been trying to probe how Wolves were going to play with all the passing around the back in the first 15 mins to see how much they would press and how they were structured themselves off the ball.

I don’t think any match against Wolves has ever resulted in a comprehensive beating outside of a FA Cup win back in 2006. I remember that home league match against Wolves back in 2003 which was dull as dishwater but Ferguson played a ton of benchwarmers and some kids in that.

We looked like our legs had gone. We lost every 50:50.

I think our tour around numerous continents has sapped our energy.

Another thing I noticed was the terrible positioning. Often it felt like the players were getting in each others way and they weren’t sure of their roles.

ETH needs to either bin this system or adapt fast, he’s not getting the time to trial a new system in production, this isn’t Eredivise we’ll get slaughtered.

I prefer an undeserved win over deserved loss any time any day. There’s always work to be done on training pitch even after a win.

It was every bit as bad as game against Brighton last season but we somehow managed to scrap the win.

On one hand it’s the first game but it was also so familiar and same fundamental flaws were all apparent.

Probably the most stressful game I could have had as my first Old Trafford game. Not a good performance at all, but at least we got the win. I'm hoping with a bit more match sharpness we will look better in possession. Badly need Hojlund to fit and hit the ground running too.

Had some time to relax a bit, and just reflecting on that game, folks that was laughably terrible wasn't it? :lol:

How we came away with 3 points was a miracle - it was honestly soooo bad! :lol:

Improvement on our first match last season. But it does confuse me why we appear to be the only team in the league that can’t string together routinely good moves that are straight out of the training pitch.

We never play well against wolves, sure all our games have been 1-0, 0-0 or 1-1 been a bit of a bogey team ever since they got promoted.

I have never been sure what Mount gives. And I still don't. Seen so much of him and he just seems to be not very outstanding.
Just read his stats:
As per TalkSPORT, Mount claimed zero goals, zero assists, created zero chances, made zero crosses, won zero tackles and won zero aerial duals during his time on the pitch.

Three points ! Yaay.
Enjoyed that even though we were shit. The despair in the Sky commentary teams voices as Wolves kept failing to score made my night. Laughable really.
We need a couple of players and we need to improve.

I think people are overreacting a bit. Issues of shape and movements are things that had already been sorted prior. It's a new shape now and I think a mixture of that and adapting to the pace of the game threw us off. I had felt that we didn't really get too many games with our first choice midfield playing together during preseason. The change in shape and Mounts addition are massive things which we didn't see enough of during preseason. It will work out, just needs fine tuning and time.

The actual concern in this game was the attack. Garnacho is a good young player, but he's not at a level where we can depend on him. ETH's main source of attacks are through the flanks and both starting wingers were terrible today. They don't win duels or hold on to the ball at all. Then when you add the fact that Rashford isn't really an effective striker, it leads to the mess we saw. We don't create or sustain attacks BECAUSE of our attackers. Hojlund coming in will kill 2 birds with 1 stone. But we really need to make a decision about the right hand side. We depend heavily on the flanks. We can't rely on it as heavily if we have wingers that can't attack

Wolves already got an apology from the refs :lol: .

What a robbery today was.

Man of the Match

Aaron Wan-Bissaka image Aaron Wan-Bissaka 35% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 419 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win