EL L Europa League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg

Sevilla 3:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 20 April 2023

That was said about the squad with all of the previous managers.
You can not expect to keep changing all of the players. They have to be improved by the coaches as well of course signing the right players.

You are right. Not everything has to be done in one window but overall, almost the entire squad from before Ten Hag's reign needs to phased out. The simple reason is they have become used to not showing up for games on a regular basis. In games we lose, we lose really poorly and often have given up hope much before the 90 mins are over. Whether its PTSD, weak mentality or any other issues, the likes of De Gea, Maguire, Lindelof, Martial, Shaw (harsh I know) are at the center of it. Both De Gea and Maguire act like f*cking amateurs and do not show any sort of maturity expected from senior squad members.

Our budgetary issues will stop us from getting a new GK and De Gea will continue. But we need to get a young and hungry player who will at least be up for a cup game. While Maguire needs to be moved on so desperately and if he had any semblance of self respect, he would look for a move himself. He's just not at the required level and never will be.

It’s times like these where I feel the players should pay the flights and tickets of all the fans who went over to Spain to watch them last night. Utter shambolic, unpassionate, lazy display from this group of players in an European competition where we were favourites to win.

I feel sorry for all those feckers who flew out there to watch that shitshow.

It’s times like these where I feel the players should pay the flights and tickets of all the fans who went over to Spain to watch them last night. Utter shambolic, unpassionate, lazy display from this group of players in an European competition where we were favourites to win.

I feel sorry for all those feckers who flew out there to watch that shitshow.
Don’t feel too sorry for them, I’m sure they made the most of it!

That shambles of a performance should have some of them players playing for their United careers for the remaining games.. I hope Ten Hag lets them know that before every game now.

Brentford away
Liverpool away
Sevilla away

3 of the worst United games in memory all in one season. I really hope there are no more to come.

The result was pretty much as expected - we lost this tie in the last 10 minutes at OT - we were never going to win away at Sevilla. The performance, though, was much worse than expected - truly horrendous.

You can not expect to keep changing all of the players. They have to be improved by the coaches as well of course signing the right players.

There is a reason we keep saying it. We see the same failures from the same players.

We recruited poorly - we are suffering the consequences.

Exactly this.

Go over the last 3-4 years & look at the record breaking losses upon losses. One constant are certain players.

You can’t foster a winning mentality amongst players that know they can lose 3-0 last night but will be forgiven for a 2-0 win against a Forest etc.

We’ll be here again next season.
I get anxious watching Maguire and Lindeløf, and I'd guess that same feeling spreads through the crowd. That also reflects on the team

With the player material at hands we shouldn't have performances like these in all honesty

Eriksen:

“A lot of things happened. We didn't really give them a game from the first minute and we gave them a lot of opportunities to finish us off.

"We lost a bit of our coolness, we made more mistakes than we do usually and the whole team could not catch up with mistakes our team-mates made.

"If you give away goals like we did, you lose, it's nothing to do with the atmosphere. Our own game was not strong enough. It's football, sometimes you have good days, sometimes you have bad days and it was a bad day. Luckily we have a game in four days.

"Every football player makes mistakes, they punished us straight away. It's how we bounce back and today we were not strong enough to bounce back from the mistakes.

"The mentality has to change, we know it will be a completely different opponent and different style so from tomorrow we will be focusing on Brighton."

Maguire was one of the first players off the pitch. No interview. Captain material that.

Thanks for that.
Absolutely rubs me the wrong way how our club captain hardly ever faces the media, he's supposed to be the leader of the guys but never takes any responsibility. In his mind he probably thinks he did nothing wrong, so has nothing to answer to, remember he's got nothing to prove to anyone. Proper captain for sure.

Eriksen:

“A lot of things happened. We didn't really give them a game from the first minute and we gave them a lot of opportunities to finish us off.

"We lost a bit of our coolness, we made more mistakes than we do usually and the whole team could not catch up with mistakes our team-mates made.

"If you give away goals like we did, you lose, it's nothing to do with the atmosphere. Our own game was not strong enough. It's football, sometimes you have good days, sometimes you have bad days and it was a bad day. Luckily we have a game in four days.

"Every football player makes mistakes, they punished us straight away. It's how we bounce back and today we were not strong enough to bounce back from the mistakes.

"The mentality has to change, we know it will be a completely different opponent and different style so from tomorrow we will be focusing on Brighton."

Maguire was one of the first players off the pitch. No interview. Captain material that.

Mourinho: "I prefer not to speak"

9977d5df26d786c0e8f32249f9c1a5e6.jpg

Last edited:
Surely has to be the final straw for De Gea, Maguire and Lindelof. That CB pairing comes back into the team and suddenly we are a mess defensively again. They’re not even good back up options.

De Gea causes as many problems as he saves for me. It’s no coincidence our last Europa League win Romero was in goal the entire tournament. He has world class saves in him but some of the basics he’s absolutely shocking. We know he can’t play out from the back. His kicking and distribution is the worse part of his game. Pep immediately got rid of Hart because of it. We need to do the same. But I know we won’t as United can never accept cutting their loses.

Genuinely think Lindelof gets a bad rep because he is quite often partnered with Maguire. No player covered themselves in glory last night but I dont think Lindelof causes as much panic as Maguire does that for sure. Given the choice, would much prefer to keep him over slab head

Brighton will batter us. In the FA Cup and the league.

To be honest, I think Brighton have the better chance of beating this city side in the final. Maybe we should all be supporting Brighton on Sunday :smirk:

I think we'll persist with him [Sancho] and will be right to do so, but he's already drinking in the last chance saloon.

It's very rare for a player to have such a poor start and then come good later.
The issue here is the wages and transfer fee. If he came to us on a low transfer fee, with low wages, we could persist with him and see if he comes good. Pellestri and Amad Dialo are good examples.
At the price we paid and are paying, we expect instant impact.

Examples of young players who have come in and made instant impact are Rashford and Martial.

IMO, we should cut our losses and invest that money into another player. The odds of Sancho coming good are extremely low.

I'm getting bored to keep saying "one of the worst games I've seen from United" but here we are again. The team is I think tired after so many games with little real depth and the summer can not come soon enough to get rid of some of the clearly not good enough players and bringing some more quality in.

Brentford away
Liverpool away
Sevilla away

3 of the worst United games in memory all in one season. I really hope there are no more to come.

Newcastle away was gutless as well , their margin of victory should have been much bigger. City away was not pretty either.

This team just can't handle pressure in hostile environments ,they don't just lose they fall apart.

Which is a terrible indictment of any Utd team.

Newcastle away was gutless as well , their margin of victory should have been much bigger. City away was not pretty either.

This team just can't handle pressure in hostile environments ,they don't just lose they fall apart.

Which is a terrible indictment of any Utd team.
The mentality of some if all wrong. Antony seems to have a bit of fight in him as does Martinez. If the environment is hostile, snarl back at them. Don't wither and hide.

I think this is off the mark, at least as a response to this game. The issue with these losses aren't a lack of quality and depth. It's the wild swings in performance. Which has happened with alarming regularity all season when we play away to strong opponents.

That the point, the swings happen because we don't have the depth or attacking fervor to have consistency. When exhausted, we have limitations in depth. We don't have attackers who can bail us out of poor games either. City, when Debruyne is off can call upon Gundogan, they have Alvarez if Haaland is injured. Foden can come in for Grealish. So changes don't bring a massive performance drop off.

I am not wanting to criticise ETH but clear instruction to DeGea, Lindelof and Maguire when playing together should be do not try to play the ball between you, you do not have the skill or pace to do it, just kick it away.... I could press that defence and I am mid 40s with a gut!

same old same old from a core of players that continually let us down in the big games. Yet another slow start away in Europe by a team that made me think i had travelled back in time 1 or even 2 years. The exasperation of ETH was palpable, i'm sure he cant wait until the summer to show the door to a lot of these chancers.

It all comes down to the first leg for me. We had them by the bollocks and we allowed the game to drift and become open. We surrendered all control. The nature of their goals may have been lucky, but they should have never been in that position in the first place.

Not only were they an average team, but they were also a rotated average team.

I think the 0-7 at Liverpool very quickly shattered any illusions that the cup win the week before may have brought. Regardless of anything else, to collapse and lose in that manner showed very clearly that as a collective, the team doesn't have sufficient mental strength and composure to compete for the top prizes. Prior to that, it was feasible to write off the city and Brentford collapses as "ahh but that was then, and things are better now". I was guilty of this myself. But after the Liverpool game it was laid bare for everyone to see.

What I didn't expect was that capitulation last night. It's ok for one or two players to be off their game, but how does that lead to the entire team just collectively falling apart? How hard is it to make basic five yard passes? It's the sort of thing a trained pro can do in their sleep, yet somehow this set of players get so mentally affected that they can't even perform the basics of the game. It's like any kind of adversity leads to the entire team collectively forgetting the basics of football.

And that for me is a concern I can't get past. Players can have off days, it happens. But you can't have situations where two or three players playing badly sends a signal to the entire team to collectively fall apart and forgot how to play football. You can have all the skill in the world when the sun's shining, but if you can't cope with adversity then there is no chance of winning the big prizes. None whatsoever. This team has demonstrated multiple times now that it can never succeed.

I don't know what the solution is. We need more leaders, that's clear. But if you're mentally weak, it's not going to change.

The mentality of some if all wrong. Antony seems to have a bit of fight in him as does Martinez. If the environment is hostile, snarl back at them. Don't wither and hide.
Martinez and Fernandes were huge misses not just for their ability but for their fighting spirit. Maguire and Lindelof look shit scared and Eriksen and Sabitzer were far too casual and easy to play against.

Martinez and Fernandes were huge misses not just for their ability but for their fighting spirit. Maguire and Lindelof look shit scared and Eriksen and Sabitzer were far too casual and easy to play against.
I like how Antony, Martinez and Bruno wind fans of the opposition up and their players. The others are far too placid. The great United sides of the 90's, 2000 were full of players like this, they also had a collosus in goal.

Having a CB pairing that is prone to mistakes under the slightest of pressure is not a foundation for any team...even when they are not pressed it still takes them an age to control the ball and pass it.

You couldn't build anything with that trio last night.

I think the 0-7 at Liverpool very quickly shattered any illusions that the cup win the week before may have brought. Regardless of anything else, to collapse and lose in that manner showed very clearly that as a collective, the team doesn't have sufficient mental strength and composure to compete for the top prizes. Prior to that, it was feasible to write off the city and Brentford collapses as "ahh but that was then, and things are better now". I was guilty of this myself. But after the Liverpool game it was laid bare for everyone to see.

What I didn't expect was that capitulation last night. It's ok for one or two players to be off their game, but how does that lead to the entire team just collectively falling apart? How hard is it to make basic five yard passes? It's the sort of thing a trained pro can do in their sleep, yet somehow this set of players get so mentally affected that they can't even perform the basics of the game. It's like any kind of adversity leads to the entire team collectively forgetting the basics of football.

And that for me is a concern I can't get past. Players can have off days, it happens. But you can't have situations where two or three players playing badly sends a signal to the entire team to collectively fall apart and forgot how to play football. You can have all the skill in the world when the sun's shining, but if you can't cope with adversity then there is no chance of winning the big prizes. None whatsoever. This team has demonstrated multiple times now that it can never succeed.

I don't know what the solution is. We need more leaders, that's clear. But if you're mentally weak, it's not going to change.

Why does it keep happening, for a decade now, with different players and multiple managers. It’s like this is ingrained in the club as a whole.

I mentioned on twitter that Erik Ten Hag is unfortunate to have to deal with this squad of players and I'm pretty sure he knows full well by now as to why Mourinho, Ole and Ralf Rangnick struggled with them. To add to their grief was the absence of Antony, Casemiro and Eriksen who have actually done well and elevated the performace of the overall squad by a little. We need a total overhaul in many areas of the pitch still and have to get rid of all the deadwood, specially Maguire, Antony Martial and Fred. Many might think Fred is better but that is all so temporary. We need at least 2 technically strong midfielders and a highly creative winger. Striker is a must and we also need 2 defenders and both CBs to backup Varane and The Butcher. New keeper is also a must considering De Gea is getting worse by the day. Long way before we can win the title. 2 more seasons.

David de Gea

Absolute garbage. Mentally weak, shirks any and all physical contact and cant handle pressure. 1

Aaron Wan-Bissaka

Reverted from Wan-Bissaka back to wank-attacker 2

Victor Lindelof

Timid, least shit of the back 5. 4

Harry Maguire

A fecking fraud, a joke, a clown and a coward. Did his usual after a bad game and fecks off without facing the press. A shit player, shit captain and utter pussy.. 0

Diogo Dalot

Second least shit of the back 5. Didnt do much at all. 4

Christian Eriksen

Sloppy, lightweight, Doesnt offer any calming influence like a senior player should. 3

Casemiro

More Kleberson than Casemiro 4

Antony

The only one to emerge with any credit whatsoever in the bank, 7

Marcel Sabitzer

Apparently thought we were the team in white, passed to them every fecking time he tried to find a red. 3

Jadon Sancho

Another coward. Dortmund should be in court under the trade description act for selling this mewling pathetic little boy as a footballer. 0

Anthony Martial

Did feck all then got injured, because of course he did :rolleyes: 2

Subs

Luke Shaw

Woohoo, I got a new contract, watch how shit I can be 3

Marcus Rashford

Better than Sancho. 5

Wout Weghorst

Is like having a fecking Ent upfront, where is a herd of Uruk Hai with some fire and axes when you need them? 3

Fred

Ran around 4

Anthony Elanga

Isnt sancho, so 3

Why does it keep happening, for a decade now, with different players and multiple managers. It’s like this is ingrained in the club as a whole.

I don't know, there's always a massive pressure in playing for this club but these collapses are happening more often recently and especially these last couple of seasons. To be 5-0 down at home after 50 minutes or 4-0 down before half time, or 6-1 down after 50 minutes was pretty much unheard of until recent times. Maybe it happened once as a freak result, but now it's several times a season.

I'm happy we have the right manager to sort it out, and it won't be going unnoticed. But it doesn't sound like we have sufficient spending power to address all the issues, so this pain might go on for a couple of seasons yet.

Last season opened a Pandora's box. The consecutive thrashings by Liverpool, Man City (which was a kind, kind scoreline), Leicester and Watford are pretty much unheard of at any major European club.

Brentford away
Liverpool away
Sevilla away

Fair post. It's scary to think you haven't included a match we conceded 6. Yes, it's alot because of players from previous years but Ten Hag needs to stop these embarrassing results. Not acceptable at this club.

Before ETH it was universally agreed that we had about three players that were up to the standard required.

ETH has improved most of the players, some still aren’t up to it.

This emerging narrative that ETH is the same as our previous managers is one of the dumbest things I’ve seen on this forum in about 10 years and that’s saying something.

That the point, the swings happen because we don't have the depth or attacking fervor to have consistency. When exhausted, we have limitations in depth. We don't have attackers who can bail us out of poor games either. City, when Debruyne is off can call upon Gundogan, they have Alvarez if Haaland is injured. Foden can come in for Grealish. So changes don't bring a massive performance drop off.

Except our abject performances away doesn't follow any such rhytm. They've come spread across the season - early, mid, late. They've come when we had few absences, and they've come at times where we had many. The only constant is they come when we're facing good teams away. I don't think you can plausibly tie that fundamentally to lack of squad depth - we have the same depth when we play at home, and it doesn't happen there. So, this has got to be a more specific problem than just depth and general quality.

Not that I don't think we have great squad depth, or don't need improved quality. I just don't think that can account for these swings in performance, at least not in a general sense.

We're still having to rely on most of those players, especially when there's an injury or two.

Then there's just the fact that a lot of those big signings (Pogba, Maguire, AWB, Ronaldo, Fred, possibly Sancho...) have failed or were signed for the wrong reasons/without a long term strategy. It feels like the club has started to turn a corner here, but a lot of will depend on what happens in the summer.

I actually think AWB and Fred have improved under EtH, or at least he's managed to adapt the team to better draw out their strengths and hide their flaws. Rashford has also refound his form, along with Shaw. Dalot...still so-so, but doesn't seem as hopeless a prospect as before this season started. Garnacho has been introduced to the team well, and I imagine we'll see more and more of Mainoo next season.

There's only so much you can coach into a player if the basic ingredients are limited. Pep has managed to eek out what he can from players, but he's often had elite players in every position to deal with. Players that just aren't up to it were moved in quickly, and sometimes brutally e.g. Joe Hart.

DDG is out of contract in the summer and we should not be renewing. I hope ETH realises this and puts his foot down.
I agree but only if we have a proper replacement. Despite his brain farts and shite passing, he is still a WC shot-stopper. We need a WC keeper to raplace him.

Player Ratings

3.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 290 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Sevilla 1:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Sevilla 0:2 Man Utd