PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 08 November 2014

Fellaini has been good. Rooney up front instead of RVP and Mata in his place is what we need.

Yup. I was thinking the same thing while I was watching the match. RVP has been brutal. Lack of goods runs that don't put him off-side. But then an off-side run is not a good run.

Smalling and Jones should be back, as will I'm guessing Falcao, which will more or less put us back at near full strength. At that point its all about lineups, tactics, and luck.
Hmm. I'm not convinced personally. I think that it's going to be a big ask for us to win that game right now - although it is a must win - given the fitness, confidence, form etc of everyone. But I guess like every game, we'll just have to wait and see.

Thought people would be more content with the win due to the defensive circumstances. I think it's clear that van Gaal was overly defensive due to the lack of defenders.

Glad to see 3 points on the board but that was still a generally shit performance from us. The redeeming features were Mata's big game off the bench and a good performance from our backline, especially Shaw and McNair.

van Gaal is starting to piss me off with how much playing time van Persie gets when he doesn't deserve it. He did have a good match against Chelsea but has been almost nonexistent in our last two. I don't think it's a form issue anymore, it's the fact that he's had too many injuries in his career and he is now in the last stages as a PL player. If van Gaal insists on giving him the full 90 every week, he needs to be played together with Wilson or with Rooney dropping in from the middle. By the way, I also think Rooney has noticeably slowed down from last season and might be heading in the same direction as a player.

Overall, RVP, Rooney, and Di Maria had shit games. Rooney helped out with stopping the counterattack and made a couple of good plays in the last 20 minutes but he looks laboured in coming forward with the ball. Di Maria was incredibly sloppy, although we clearly lost all of our pace after he came off. Fellaini was okay, but nothing great. Januzaj, it's best not to mention.

On the other hand, Shaw looks very confident for his age and we really look to have a gem on our hands. McNair might become our most reliable centreback if he continues like this, although I'm not sure if that's a good thing considering how weak we are in that area.

Overall, it was a Moyes-esque performance that was saved by the excellence of Mata. We really need some players back over the break.

The performance is secondary today. That win was everything.

But going forwards we need to improve drastically. The strength of our attack has diminished as we try and compensate for our weaknesses at the back. LVG needs to sort that, ideally when our injury crisis eases. We just can't put out a settled back 4 every week and that's hurting our play. Still there's no excusing the boring, predictable football in the first half. You'd hope we learnt our lesson from last season where possession football without a purpose is just pointless. Seeing Shaw break with convention and drive at them caused panic in their box. We need to be braver against teams who employ these tactics to shatter their game plan.

Also i'm not happy with what we're doing up front at the moment. Van Persie, Di Maria and Januzaj aren't justifying their starting places right now. I also don't like seeing Rooney so deep in midfield. He does his best work when he's in touching distance of goal and I hope LVG restores him to a proper strikers position. There's a reason he's so close to the record for club and country. Finding the net is something he's really good at. His shooting was poor today though...

A bit of over the top reactions I think, if we were playing well, this win would have been regarded as just the functional type wins that teams get. We were hardly ever threatened apart from one campbell chance in the first half. Our attacking isn't crisp(lacks cutting edge) and too slow at times, a few of the players needs to think faster and keep it simple. I never felt we could lose this match.

Difference is Chelsea are sitting at the top of the table, are currently unbeaten, and have 29 points out of a possible 33. And we are 6th, with 16 points out of a possible 33.

You missed the point entirely.

The point was for this game the performance was fine considering this is how you play these games just like Chelsea did last week.

And if you want to play the game of difference, the difference is that Mourinho is in his second season, already experienced in the premier league from a previous spell and Chelsea's players are highly accustomed to managerial changes and thus different systems.

Chelsea are not in the rebuilding phase.

To expect United to be sitting at the top of the table is unrealistic and that's the problem with these forums.

Time to what? He's already shown us how good he can be in a red shirt, and has reverted massively. I'll stick back him to come good, but for the past couple of games he has been poor. Take the blinkers off pal.

Time to adapt to the premier league, the English culture, this team, time to develop consistency.

Being played central midfield the right wing and then left wing is not so easy to develop consistency considering the amount of games he has played for the club.

There is no point debating whether X should have been in for Y, or A for B. Any combination from a choice of Van Persie, Mata, Rooney, Januzaj, Herrera, Di Maria, Wilson, Carrick, Blind etc. should be doing better than they are right now. Either all of them are shit, or the manager isn't getting it right.

That was simply not good enough. 3 points is always good, but that performance against a shit Palace team at home shouldn't be acceptable. I don't know how long will it take for this fecking "philosophy" to come into effect. At the moment, we look a bit clueless.

You missed the point entirely.

The point was for this game the performance was fine considering this is how you play these games just like Chelsea did last week.

And if you want to play the game of difference, the difference is that Mourinho is in his second season, already experienced in the premier league from a previous spell and Chelsea's players are highly accustomed to managerial changes and thus different systems.

Chelsea are not in the rebuilding phase.

To expect United to be sitting at the top of the table is unrealistic and that's the problem with these forums.
I never said that I expected us to be top of the table right now. But for me, bottom line is that at this point in the season: we should be playing better than we are and winning these kind of games more convincingly. I'm pleased with the 3 points because we needed that more than anything. But with players back in 2 weeks; I will be expecting a huge improvement against Arsenal.

Like wading through stodgy tumescent sludge, but at least we won and didn't let any goals in.

Time to what? He's already shown us how good he can be in a red shirt, and has reverted massively. I'll still back him to come good, but for the past couple of games he has been poor. Take the blinkers off pal.
He's only just arrive at the club. Making odd statements like "di Maria disappearing act continues" indicates a feeling of being fed up with him despite his United career being so young.

Surely you're not including Mata in that assessment?

Nah, not that. Just saying that LVG should have changed things during half time. Leaving RVP, Rooney and Fellaini on did make much sense either. Putting on Wilson didn't make much difference either.

It feels odd that this is only our 4th win of the season. Hopefully we kick on now and get a good run of results.

People who are comparing this to a Moyes performance couldn't be more wrong. After Mata's goal, we kept possession well, working the ball around the field. They barely got a sniff. Under Moyes, we would have been camped in the eighteen yard box hoofing it at every opportunity and eventually conceding. It's not easy to play against a team who parks the bus. We controlled the game and got the goal. Not a classic, but it's three points.

This. I think people are maybe forgetting how dire we were under Moyes.

Any decent side will beat us.
Typical overreaction. We just played the 2 best teams in the league - only City beat us and it was very close due to a brainfart red card.

I think the team performance was pretty good. CP put 11 behind the ball, so we didn't have many chances. On top of that RVP, ADM and Januzaj had poor games, so we looked toothless going forward, but there were many positives. Shaw, McNair, Carrick, Rooney and Mata were very good. Fellaini, Valencia and Blind were decent. We were solid defensively and completely controlled the game - could've had easily 3 had Mata, RVP and Rooney not missed good chances. CP had only one chance due to miscommunication between Blind and McNair, but other than that we completely dominated. Another positive - we didn't get nervous and didn't panic like in many other games. Overall I'm very pleased. Pool lost, now if City, Spurs, Arsenal and Everton also drop points it will be the perfect weekend.

I'm very pleased with the points myself - wasn't feeling confident, to put it mildly, before the match, seeing that line-up.

We were up against a side which suited us tactically today, though - and the makeshift defense did their job, more or less. Shaw looked sharp, I thought - Carrick did well too. But, yeah - thanks for the points, but I guess it's not entirely unreasonable that people are moaning about us looking barely better than Palace at our own place. It ain't inspirational stuff.

Normally, I try to keep away from the Caf after a defeat, but looks like it's a good place to keep away now. I'm struggling to see the same amount of negativity. Only last week, QPR almost held their own against Chelsea and apparently they are the champions select apparently.

6th and two points below fourth place. Arsenal, Southampton and Liverpool coming up.

Normally, I try to keep away from the Caf after a defeat, but looks like it's a good place to keep away now. I'm struggling to see the same amount of negativity. Only last week, QPR almost held their own against Chelsea and apparently they are the champions select apparently.

6th and two points below fourth place. Arsenal, Southampton and Liverpool coming up.

I know what you mean. IIRC, our encouraging performances against City and Chelsea didn't count for shit because we didn't win either match.

The move away from the diamond has affected our tempo. We may look more secure but the loss of tempo is odd.

Fellaini instead of Herrera is just a bonkers decision.

We haven't won in 3 league games I think. We won today. I couldn't bother with being negative.

All last week - "The points tally is irrelevant, it's about performances, we're obviously vastly improved from last season."

Now - "We won, who gives a shite about the performance, it's all about getting the three points."

All last week - "The points tally is irrelevant, it's about performances, we're obviously vastly improved from last season."

Now - "We won, who gives a shite about the performance, it's all about getting the three points."
It's about being positive and not a negative cribby arse. I am generally enjoying our football this season. One game we play boring stuff but get a win after isn't something that's an issue for me.

The move away from the diamond has affected our tempo. We may look more secure but the loss of tempo is odd.

Fellaini instead of Herrera is just a bonkers decision.
We should really go back to it. We were poor until we tried it, were good when we played it, and have basically been poor since dropping it. I know some of that is down to our opponents and injuries, but still.

But now after so many poor results against the smaller teams: Sunderland, Leicester, Swansea, Burnley, we are in a position where nothing less than 9 points will do from these next 3 games. Otherwise we will keep dropping points and taking more steps backwards whilst other teams that are competing with us will begin to find and or maintain form.

Fact is we've shown we can compete with the likes of Chelsea and City but also we can play like that and still come away with the points.

We're still a bit off getting back to the top but with injuries i'd take any point we can get

We didn't play well and if we don't show undeniable signs of improvement till Christmas i'm afraid we'll find ourselves way behind the desired CL spot and chasing our rivals again. On the other hand no one can deny we didn't deserve the three points today. The players remained calm and focused, followed the manager's instructions and, although they couldn't break Palace's defense often, the goal came from a position we had planned to hit them before the game.

When RvP is playing so poorly and AdM can't beat a defender then you know that we will struggle against teams that defend very deep and narrow. We all know that our build up play is very slow and that our transition from the defense to the attack is an area that has to be improved asap. Playing Rooney in the midfield won't solve this, the problem was ever present today despite Wayne being pretty good on the pitch. But he doesn't possess the off the ball movements of a CM and, as a player whose natural positions are up front, he doesn't look to receive the first ball out of the defense and carry the ball. Instead he makes runs into space to provide options further up the pitch. That is the reason why Valencia and Shaw tried to carry the ball forward so many times today. Hate to say it but there's no replacement for Herrera right now and Herrera himself can't be described as world class yet in that role.

Given the problems in our build up play, it was clear how we planned to score a goal. We used two wingers who can cut inside and link up with RvP and Rooney and with Carrick and Fellaini coming from deeper positions and also providing cover. We had no problem retaining the possession but nothing seemed to work right. On the left side Shaw was providing the overlaps but AdM very few times tried to cut inside. Too many times AdM and Shaw were occupying the same space making it easier for CP to defend. On the right side Januzaj tried to create something but Valencia wasn't doing the needed overlaps. That left Januzaj with no space and two men to beat. Rooney, in his CM role, was far from the action but he had 2 or 3 good shots. We were fortunate enough to score a goal "according to plan" when Mata cut inside and found just enough space for a decent shot.

At the back we didn't face many problems, having Blind and Carrick on the pitch provided good recycling of possession and Shaw Valencia and De Gea were solid defensively. It would have been a shame to concede yet another awkward goal in CP's only chance in the game. A long ball to nowhere that must be dealt by either Valencia's or Blind's "bad" foot.

Very happy for Carrick, delighted with Wilson getting more playing time, but we have to step up a gear or two in our game. We must start winning more challenges on the pitch and our best players must start making things happen.

Bottom line we have win to our next 3 games and nothing else will be good enough.

May not have been a great performance but the 3 points is far more important. I really think we're missing Herrera though. Felt him, Di Maria and Mata had a good understanding and chemistry. LVG needs to make up his mind where Rooney is playing (preferably not in midfield) , and whether RVP deserves to keep starting, what with his current dip in form. Just play the right players in their position and start getting some consistency.

However, happy we won - may have been ugly but that's how it is sometimes.

May not have been a great performance but the 3 points is far more important. I really think we're missing Herrera though. Felt him, Di Maria and Mata had a good understanding and chemistry. LVG needs to make up his mind where Rooney is playing (preferably not in midfield) , and whether RVP deserves to keep starting, what with his current dip in form. Just play the right players in their position and start getting some consistency.

However, happy we won - may have been ugly but that's how it is sometimes.
Can't imagine Rooney is actually happy playing in midfield. He will be watching RVP and wondering how he is still in the side.

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 387 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace
  • 19% Man Utd 3:1 Crystal Palace