PL L FA Premier League

Manchester City 6:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 02 October 2022

i'm sorry but the defending on the first 3 goals was amateurish at best....Eriksen and Varane were poor on the first one, eriksen marking Haaland on the corner? seriously...Varane caught ball watching on the 3rd goal with no help from Dalot

agree though...until we get a complete overhaul of hte midfield, we won't win anything. Bruno doesn't defend and neither really does Eriksen so there are MASSIVE holes in the midfield to play into and easily play out of

That's hyper critical tbf especially for the third goal which for me was just pure quality.
We got absolutely dicked by the best team in the world today and I'm sure the manager will have learnt a very tough lesson today .
I'm pretty sure he won't ever play a 2 man mid
Ridiculous over reaction here as usual :lol:.
Anyone expect we could compete with City after 5 months is deluding themselves.
United will be fine. Results like this are expected when you rebuild. Citing our (bad) spending by our previous manager is also dishonest because that's not on our current one.

It's actually refreshing to see someone post something sensible among all the hysteria.

We are a few months into a new manager going up against the best team in the world so let's not get ourselves in a spin here .
Our season won't be judged on how we play against that City team because they will be runaway league Champions without any doubt.

We beat both Arsenal and Liverpool over the past weeks and hopefully we will settle and go on another winning run but this season will be full of ups and downs as the manager and players get used to new styles etc .
Let's be patient and enjoy the ride .

Whenever our players start doing feel-good interviews about their good performances, it's a sure indicator for you to hide behind the sofa in the next game.

I don't know if there's a definite connection, but definitely seems the case.
I do wonder whether it's a case where they go to the next game believing their own hype, or whether it's the opposite where they brick it because the interview has put them under more pressure than they're able to handle.

I cant for the life of me understand how we are going to win anything without dominating the midfield or at least competing. Sure we have gotten away away with it this season - but only just. You cant say we are dominating the midfield in any game this season. Just getting away with it. McTominay and Eriksen against Gundogen, Silva and De Bruyne? Someone explain it to me. It makes no sense. Sure you can say Bruno works hard but its just not a proper 3 man midfield.

I get we need to get away from 2 DM's but to move forward we need a proper 3 man midfield. At least against the likes of City. Fred/Eriksen/Casemiro for example. Sure we would have still lost lost probably, but we wouldn't have been battered. For me its where we lost it. There was just so much space and yes everyone looked sht but that's what happens when you are overrun. And Im not blaming Eriksen or McTominay. They have done well this season. I just dont see them winning the midfield against City on their own. Its like playing 1 CB. Doesn't matter who the CB is, you will get battered and that CB will look like a Championship player and run ragged.

Ten Haag needs to get us dominating the midfield or at least competing if he is to get anywhere

Why on earth would we be starting with anything else? That's been our clear first XI midfield since GW3, and the formation we have always played against City. And that is actually a 3 man midfield against a 3 man midfield.

And Pep and Klopp both leave. That will be a glorious day when it eventually happens.

That’s also taking into account both those teams replace their managers with less effective ones, that Chelsea do not get a great manager, Newcastle do not go all in, that ten Hag actually goes on to prove he’s a good manager….. and on and on and on.

It’s nothing like as simple as that.

Didnt see the game as was at a christening, but from the highlights the way they passed through midfield and on the wings, it looks like we need another big transfer window, as it was a poor performance again. TH must insist that half the team be replaced and bring in players that play his preferred way of playing.
City are frightening and can beat anyone, but this setback will affect our team mentally and could be detriment in the next few games, where it leaves us a mountain to climb, to try and get top 4.

Yes, it was on the radio today that he is actually a die hard Leeds United fan, is that where you think he wants to be? Is that what you mean?
He did make a comment before coming to City that he would like to play in the german english spanish italian and french leagues as he would like to experience them all. If true maybe 3 seasons at City and he will go.

Ridiculous over reaction here as usual :lol:.
Anyone expect we could compete with City after 5 months is deluding themselves.
United will be fine. Results like this are expected when you rebuild. Citing our (bad) spending by our previous manager is also dishonest because that's not on our current one.

For context this was ETHs 9th official game in charge of us while Pep is approaching 400 games managed for city

I'm sure the UAE coffers could persuade him...

normally I’d agree, but I think it’s about different things and building a different kind of legacy, imagine being able to say you were the top scorer in every league in Europe.. he’d be talked about among the best ever to play the game, and his dad seems to be driving it, if it was just about money there wouldn’t be a release clause in the first place

I think Liverpool only won the title, because de Bruyne was injured. This is now full strength City and it shows. Guardiola is just the best in fielding a 100% side every match. That being said, i think ETH can learn to do that. I underestimated him at the start and i would say this guy doesn't let go. I also think, United looked always dangerous even in the first half, the difference isn't that big.

Last edited:
Ultimately, yesterday's result doesn't really change that much.

City, for now, are better than us and everyone else. They will probably win the league comfortably.

For us, we know we need at the very least, an extra centre back and a centre forward. Antony is a definite positive for us and he'll only get better.

It's also worth noting that even under Fergie, heavy defeats were common when the side was rebuilding.

Basically, relax. We're in a better position overall than this time last season.

its clear theres still elements of mental weakness within some of our players.. conceding so quickly one after another says it all.. heads dropping.. doesn't help when your playing against a team so good on the ball.. last season they had the ability to play all them killer passes, just didn't have the killer touch on the the end of them, they unfortunately have now.

It was a dreadful first half.. unbelievably wasteful on the ball... I thought we would have had to buckle in for tough defending for a while, but also thought we would cause them problems at the other end.. we caused them no problems at all. The game was lost at Half time, so i couldnt have cared about those late goals.. it didnt really save too much embarrassment as the mental damage was done first half.

Ultimately, yesterday's result doesn't really change that much.

City, for now, are better than us and everyone else. They will probably win the league comfortably.

For us, we know we need at the very least, an extra centre back and a centre forward. Antony is a definite positive for us and he'll only get better.

It's also worth noting that even under Fergie, heavy defeats were common when the side was rebuilding.

Basically, relax. We're in a better position overall than this time last season.

Guardiola also lost to Everton in his first season at City 4-0, so it can happen to great ones also.

From the moment 2 minutes in when Dalot bounced Grealish, the level was set. The fear set in; the confidence didn't just ebb away, it flowed away.

The way I saw it, Varane and Martinez made a 'fist ' of it down the center, but with both fullbacks looking like they were engaged in a 'men verses boys'' competition with City's wide men, we were overwhelmed. Eriksen and McT got continually pulled out of position, leaving acres of space in the middle and having difficulty when they did receive the ball because mostly it was facing their own goal. Although Bruno played a few good balls forward, both Sancho and Rashford were unable to get on to any of them properly. Rashford didn't look 100%, Sancho back on his heels time and again, Anthony was crowded out and double marked (until he wasn't, and scored great goal)

Towards the end City eased off and put on four reserves and we grabbed a couple of late goals, but as they say in boxing parlance..."we a didn't really lay a glove on them".

But heh, City are at this time probably the best team, certainly in Europe and with the addition of a 'Marvel-type'* hero the 'Superman' Haaland in their team they are likely to pick up every piece of silverware going this season.... doesn't it want to make you puke!
(* wonder how Haaland would react to kryptonite down his shorts :))

He did make a comment before coming to City that he would like to play in the german english spanish italian and french leagues as he would like to experience them all. If true maybe 3 seasons at City and he will go.

Fact we didn't take him at Molde or Dortmund is absolutely unforgivable,cannot handle seeing this happen every single week due to our stupidity.

7 league games in we've played Pool, Gunners , and City . We've beaten 2 of them was it expected? No I don't think so. Yesterday was a bad day and for the 1st 45 they played like a team that hasn't seen each other before. Square passes being cut out short passes not strong enough and ball watching.
You could see from 1st minute there tactic run at Dalot he's our weakest defender, Antony who had a better 2nd wasn't even in the game 1st half, he doesn't help his full back that he needs to learn in the bigger games, CM was all over the place . They were well off the pace, Varane being off for there 2nd goal was it really they fell apart then. ETH has seen what this group can be like now and a kick up there ass is needed.
We were probably losing that game anyway but the manner of it was worse. I still think we got a very good chance of finishing high in table.
Even after yesterday's result.

Fact we didn't take him at Molde or Dortmund is absolutely unforgivable,cannot handle seeing this happen every single week due to our stupidity.
Why are you across multiple threads saying the same thing over and over again? We get it, you're unhappy we didn't take him. I think most people are. Is there any point in repeating it ad nauseum?

Why are you across multiple threads saying the same thing over and over again? We get it, you're unhappy we didn't take him. I think most people are. Is there any point in repeating it ad nauseum?

Yeah because right now I want to wallow and also find the person responsible as well

Sky doesn't have a problem to show our fans leaving early but to show the protest inside and outside of OT ? hell no!

The one big mistake made was leaving Casemiro on the bench to start the match....we needed his experience and bite in the middle against a team that likes to dominate the ball especially thru the middle of the pitch

Against a team who likes to control possession, playing Bruno and Eriksen is a bit suicidal

Gutwrenching we are stupid enough to let this pain be happening isn't it
I'm less annoyed by City success than I am with our failure. Regardless of Haaland or what any other club does. In particular City because of the blatant financial doping, the Liverpool trophies were bad, but I had a begrudging respect for the way they did it, properly. City are a hollow shell of a club.

What the Glazers have lowered us to (through Woodward) since 2013 in particular has been the most annoying thing.

I don't think it matters that much who was a fan of when he was a kid, if we made a big money offer sooner, before he joined Dortmund, when he was at Salzburg we could of transferred him.
But we are a long way from the times we recognized top talent soon, I really don't think we could of gotten Ronaldo if SAF did not make a move when he was at Sporting, if a Spanish team like Atletico, Valencia or Sevilla would of transferred him at 18, Real would of been all over him at 20-21.

1. Haaland was a City fan since he was a kid. He was a City fan when City was actually losing many games.

2. City has more money than we do. They can give out larger salaries.

3. In the past 10 years, City has won more trophies than we did.

Again: Why would Haaland ever prefer to go to Man Utd, a team he actually hated because he was a City fan? It is not like he didn't have any other options.

Why on earth would we be starting with anything else? That's been our clear first XI midfield since GW3, and the formation we have always played against City. And that is actually a 3 man midfield against a 3 man midfield.
Please, sir. You are letting facts cloud your judgment. Just react hysterically like so many others on here. Thank you.

1. Haaland was a City fan since he was a kid. He was a City fan when City was actually losing many games.

2. City has more money than we do. They can give out larger salaries.

3. In the past 10 years, City has won more trophies than we did.

Again: Why would Haaland ever prefer to go to Man Utd, a team he actually hated because he was a City fan? It is not like he didn't have any other options.
People on RAWK think Haaland was considering Liverpool too, when he never was going anywhere in England besides Man City. Fact is, he was never coming here, never going to Liverpool, and never turning up in anything but the ugly sky blue of City.

From the moment 2 minutes in when Dalot bounced Grealish, the level was set. The fear set in; the confidence didn't just ebb away, it flowed away.

The way I saw it, Varane and Martinez made a 'fist ' of it down the center, but with both fullbacks looking like they were engaged in a 'men verses boys'' competition with City's wide men, we were overwhelmed. Eriksen and McT got continually pulled out of position, leaving acres of space in the middle and having difficulty when they did receive the ball because mostly it was facing their own goal. Although Bruno played a few good balls forward, both Sancho and Rashford were unable to get on to any of them properly. Rashford didn't look 100%, Sancho back on his heels time and again, Anthony was crowded out and double marked (until he wasn't, and scored great goal)

Towards the end City eased off and put on four reserves and we grabbed a couple of late goals, but as they say in boxing parlance..."we a didn't really lay a glove on them".

But heh, City are at this time probably the best team, certainly in Europe and with the addition of a 'Marvel-type'* hero the 'Superman' Haaland in their team they are likely to pick up every piece of silverware going this season.... doesn't it want to make you puke!
(* wonder how Haaland would react to kryptonite down his shorts :))
Yeah this is what i saw as well. A good number of poor passes, lack of passing options, so we had very little control over the ball. Bit amateurish from the likes of McT and others in passing. Just kills confidence on the ball.

Yep.

Until we address this simple problem, we won't be going anywhere. You can't be having attitude like Rashford and Sancho's if you actually want to compete for trophies in the PL or CL.
Every top team plays like a football team with everyone helping in both ends of the pitch. You attack as one and defend as one. The centre forward is the first defender.

I don't understand why we can't do that. Are our players so fecking stupid and lazy?

I only watched the 1st half and then switched off. Every time they attacked I was shitting myself. We just couldn’t keep the ball for more than 30 seconds.

Had to board a plane and the last news I saw was we were 6-1 down. I guess 6-3 is a recovery of sorts. Did we not kick some of the key City players enough? When there is a gulf in class, there is no shame being a bit brutal. We need to Arsenal City the next time we meet.

Yep.

Until we address this simple problem, we won't be going anywhere. You can't be having attitude like Rashford and Sancho's if you actually want to compete for trophies in the PL or CL.
Every top team plays like a football team with everyone helping in both ends of the pitch. You attack as one and defend as one. The centre forward is the first defender.

I don't understand why we can't do that. Are our players so fecking stupid and lazy?

Scholes is a dinosaur.

Wingers don’t help full backs anymore. Centre halves cover space and midfielders move across, more often than not.

Last season we had 1 lame duck manager and a supply teacher with no midfielders.

I think the posters point is that certain levels are attainable in a season or two under ETH, we are only a few months in. But City adding a once in generation talent to their already high functioning team is almost unachievable to compete with in the short term.

Imo they are cheats but they are effective cheats. They may as well be renamed UAE FC.

Thanks for understanding, mate. I'll be here through thick and thin supporting United.

We were very good for large parts of the game but city were just too strong for us and there is no shame in that, glory glory man United

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 68% of 246 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 252 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw