PL W FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 May 2024

DSG

Happy for the squad. The first half was horrendous. Subs played well. I hope this gives us momentum for the FA Cup final. Not enough momentum for Ten Hag to stay though :(

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
In a cup final everything can happen, but I think there's a 10% chance we will win the FA Cup. City are lightyears ahead of us.
Yeap, agree. They should win.. but it is cup final, so there's a glimmer of a hope in my heart

Last edited:

MonkeysMagic

Yey! Terrible season concludes on nothing game, not sure which direction we are going to turn next but I hope that was the worst of PL seasons behind us.

BorisManUtd

Only watched 2nd half (from time to time, combining with few other games) and it looked decent. 60 points in the end so better than 58 in 21/22, but now with -1 GD and in 8th place.

Thankfully league is over. Cup final game left to try vs City at least.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We managed to preserve our negative goal difference. We conceded fewer goals than Villa, Spurs, Chelsea and Newcastle. We need to figure out how to add another 20+ league goals to our total next season.
That is actually quite impressive considering the state of our back line all season. You'd hope our defence would improve quite considerably next year, but we'll need to invest to get that attack up.

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Only regarding todays goals and result, the actual league position and season itself has been horrible beyond words.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Glad to have broken the Brighton hoodoo. Losing 4 in a row to them was ridiculous.

The Irish Connection

Really rode our luck not to be a couple goals down after 60mins, but Hojlund added something while they tired.
Hope the final isn’t embarrassing.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
What's for sure is that Amrabat is not good enough.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Thanks ETH for your participation on the premier league. We appreciate your effort but is not what we currently need. I hope you can have a bright future elsewhere

Jordan_mufc

I didn't watch the game. Did we play with our usual suicide system? Or did we fall back to a pragmatic approach similar to our last 2 or 3 games?

Unam333

Yup. He's very limited. Nice to have another defensive body in midfield, but he's very prone to making mistakes due to his slowness. He also doesn't scan his surrounding enough, always getting dispossessed. He needs an extra touch to control the ball as well.

mk7

Never seen a player so absolutely unaware of his surroundings. Decision making seems to take him ages and that’s not what you get in the PL.

Second worst was AWB - baffles me how he could become a pro footballer.

chris123

I didn't watch the game. Did we play with our usual suicide system? Or did we fall back to a pragmatic approach similar to our last 2 or 3 games?
Certainly more similar to the last two games, even if we still conceded too many unnecessary chances.

Fallon d'Floor

Another meh performance. Especially the 1st half, which was very poor. But despite most stats being in Brighton's favour, we won again. :lol: Brighton played fairly well for a team missing the majority of their best XI.

We've been more clinical than usual since Palace. We've scored 5 goals from a total xG of 2.65 over the past 2 games.

The opposition created 9 big chances vs us. We created 3 big chances. Getting away with it like earlier in the season.

Fallon d'Floor

No way Brighton's xG was that high...
It depends on what xG model you use. It's 1.55 according to a different one.

Barco and João Pedro (2 efforts) had their 3 best chances. Casemiro cleared one off the line.

Dalot's goal accounts for almost half of our xG. McTominay and Højlund had chances similar to the Barco one.

wolvored

Rasmus was the catalyst today. Garnacho needs to play off the right as he is such a greedy bastard on the left. Only passes when he absolutely has to, or lose the ball. There was a good chance to put Rasmus through towards the end, but decided to try and dribble through a bunch of players. We were outplayed for long periods again.

NZT-One

Only watched 2nd half (from time to time, combining with few other games) and it looked decent. 60 points in the end so better than 58 in 21/22, but now with -1 GD and in 8th place.

Lucky bastard... 1st half was really abysmal. Brighton were so much better than us but weren't able to score. At some point I know, we'll probably win another game where opposition isn't able to get the ball over the line.
I am very happy for Hojlund, he did well and made a big difference today. How McTominay stayed on the pitch for 90 minutes I'll never understand. Also well done to Dalot, I thought he was playing well today nothing extraordinary but disciplined and took his goal well enough.

redmanx

OK, we won, scored twice and kept a clean sheet. I lost count of the chances Brighton had to score in the first half as too many of our team showed little or no effort to win back lost balls after needlessly giving the ball away countless times. Brightons players were, in general, faster, sharper, more energetic, more determined and more up for it and we were lucky to get to half time without being 2 or 3 goals down. There was a suggestion that certain of our players might be "taking it easy" and thinking about next weeks Cup Final but, judging by their lack of effort in too many previous performances, how can you tell? In short this was another pathetic peformance lacking energy, focus and desire, and if we play like this against City, who will create more chances than Brighton did and convert a good percentage of them into goals, we could end up losing by double figures. To be honest Im really glad I'll be out of the country from next Friday!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Game turned when Jonny and Rasmus came on. We weren't in it for the first 45 minutes at all and that formation though it worked well against Newcastle really made us blunt against Brighton. Not helped by Amrabat being extremely shaky in possession.

But delighted for Hojlund and quite happy to see him not square to Garnacho (even though that was a better option) as Garnacho is just way too selfish and it's one of the things he needs to learn.

Glad to hear commentators mentioning it too that the team doesn't do a good enough job of trying to find him in the box. There was a golden chance for McTominay to square to him as he was coming onto the ball but McTominay had a weak effort instead.

Most importantly no fresh injuries (unless Kobbie picked up something in that coming together) and some minutes for Varane and Martinez.

edit: Baleba looks a player.

Last edited:

BorisManUtd

Lucky bastard... 1st half was really abysmal. Brighton were so much better than us but weren't able to score. At some point I know, we'll probably win another game where opposition isn't able to get the ball over the line.
I am very happy for Hojlund, he did well and made a big difference today. How McTominay stayed on the pitch for 90 minutes I'll never understand. Also well done to Dalot, I thought he was playing well today nothing extraordinary but disciplined and took his goal well enough.
Yeah basically everyone saying we were rubbish in first half which is justanother warning sign. People would rather take 2-0 loss today if we played some good football but it's not happening and hasn't for whole season.

rio vander vidic

Supports
united
King Eric, Roy Keane, Wazza..
And now we have McTominay as a captain wahahahahahaha

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Completely outplayed in the first half (from what the Sky extended highlights showed) but at least defended properly. We looked better with Licha there of course and I do wonder if ETH will risk him and Varane to start the cup final.

Not many other bright points although two good finishes and again Rasmus shows what he can do when we actually give him a half-decent ball. I think he also got a touch to play in Dalot for the first

GlasgowRedz

Completely outplayed in the first half (from what the Sky extended highlights showed) but at least defended properly. We looked better with Licha there of course and I do wonder if ETH will risk him and Varane to start the cup final.

Not many other bright points although two good finishes and again Rasmus shows what he can do when we actually give him a half-decent ball. I think he also got a touch to play in Dalot for the first
I think in the days of 3 subs only we would probably not risk starting both, but as we will have the option of 5 subs I think he'll go with it. Even having to sub both of them will leave enough sub opportunities.

Martinez may even be able to play the 90 mins.

jimmyb2000

Have we played with a different formation the last 2 games? I'll be glad to see the back of that 4-2-3-1 crap we've suffered through the last 3 or 4 managers.

cyril C

Lucky guy, didn't watch the 1st half. I can't recall a single game of 90+ minutes of decent football, always a highlight game throughout the entire season.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Have we played with a different formation the last 2 games? I'll be glad to see the back of that 4-2-3-1 crap we've suffered through the last 3 or 4 managers.
ETH would have been smart to play a 4-2-3-1 since January with the 2 DMs told to stay home and rarely venture forward. We would have reduced the shots on goal and maybe have won a few 1-0 matches. If so, we would be in the EL pretty easily and had an outside chance for CL. Instead, I think he played something like a

4 - 1/2 - 4 1/2 - 1.

He is such a great innovative coach...ha ha.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Casemiro made some great interventions. Dalot was class. We missed Shaw a lot this year. I don’t think we are all that far behind the non doping teams, Arsenal and Pool. The other stuff is comedy. Wait for a few years till it leaks what was really going on with certain ‘clubs’

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 120 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Brighton 2:2 Man Utd