POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The longevity argument doesn't come in to it for me. He wants to settle in England, this is his footballing home. He'd just signed a four year deal at Chelsea and surely would have extended that for as long as they were willing to have him. Regardless of what happened to Chelsea this season, he's an elite manager and we need to move now to secure him or be left with the Giggs experiment for the forseeable future.

Guardiola's philosophy is Van Gaal's philosophy when executed by world class players.

Henry quotes recently that Guardiola's message was always that he would take them up to the final third, but it was always their job to come up with the goals. Basically the root of all our problems this season. When you don't have Messi, Villa, Henry, Lewandowski and Muller at your disposal is when that kind of philosophy hits the rocks.
Yep, agreed.

This weird idea that van Gaal would stifle a trio of Lewandowski, Muller and Robben (for example) baffles me.
What would he tell them?
Stop taking up positions in tight spots where you can hurt the opposition most? Stop being really accurate while also playing at a faster pace than everyone else? Stop dribbling past people with ease? Stop executing quick passes with each other?

If we appoint Jose, I just hope we can have the patience till the summer and start from there.

Lets say he comes soon, the results are bad and we even drop to midtable and there's more trouble with players not liking whatever. We really have to give him a fresh start no matter where we finish and I don't think he should accommodate Ryan Giggs. I feel everyone who is linked to Fergie are too quick to shake their heads and not all pull in one direction and there's a lot of backchat and undermining going on.

Tomorrow could be an interesting atmosphere.

Both Chelsea and United fans singing for Jose Mourinho.

Our pathetic board are going to give him a lot to do when we 12 points behind the top four teams and then sign him up.

My number one choice when Ferguson left. Now I'm absolutely terrified at what might happen if he comes, but what's going on at the club now is pretty horrific anyway.

Article sent to me by a City fan in the newbies: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-exploring-a-rapid-return-to-Real-Madrid.html

Jose Mourinho to wait on Manchester United job before exploring a rapid return to Real Madrid
Former Chelsea manager is more inclined to wait and see how United situation develops before considering a quick return to the Bernabeu

• Madrid express interest in bringing Mourinho back at some point
  • Mourinho unwilling to revise his opinion that a swift return to Madrid is not in the best interests of his career or personal life
  • Mourinho's attitude could change if it turns out Madrid is his best chance of a return to management in next six months
  • Meanwhile Mourinho waiting to see how things develop at United
  • Mourinho spent some of last few weeks with friends fishing off the coast of Setubal, now he's left Portugal on a family holiday
  • Mourinho not currently interested in an international job

Sunday Times (via Duncan Castles - isn't he a noted Mourninho mouthpiece) ran something similar this morning
Talking up chance of Mourinho to Real Madrid, my guess is someone's agent has spoken and is trying to put pressure on United to remove LVG and bring in Mourinho, there can be no doubting he covets the Old Trafford job

He has 'another LvG' written all over him. Time for Giggs.

Giggs has Moyes 2.0 written over him.

The club can't take that risk.

And I know Mourinho would be a risk too after the current season Chelsea had, but it's most likely an anomaly and not the norm. He guarantees trophies. We need that now.

Giggs has Moyes 2.0 written over him.

The club can't take that risk.

And I know Mourinho would be a risk too after the current season Chelsea had, but it's most likely an anomaly and not the norm. He guarantees trophies. We need that now.
And LvG wins the title in his first season.

I think I'm one of the few Utd fans who actually likes Mourinho.

I think I'm one of the few Utd fans who actually likes Mourinho.
Few? It's been Mourinho/KloppCafe on here for a while. Vocal support went down temporarily during the Eva stuff but then some caf members said she was sleeping with the players or something and stood up for him and the support for him has increased again

Trying to work out how a manager gets sacked and within days finds himself sitting pretty choosing between two of the biggest clubs in the world for his next job.
Work harder. Or think harder and you will find the answer to that question.

Guardiola will get us playing proper football again but if we wait until the end of the season, we could miss out on top four again. Jose may not get us playing attractive football but he gets results and ends up winning trophies sooner or later.

Or he could flop just like LVG with possession tactics in the PL.

In the minority at least if the poll is an accurate sample.

More than half voted yes in the poll 'Would you want Mourinho as manager of Man Utd'.

Which I think is batshit crazy. If we were near as wise as we claim to be, it should have been well over 90%.

More than half voted yes in the poll 'Would you want Mourinho as manager of Man Utd'.

Which I think is batshit crazy. If we were near as wise as we claim to be, it should have been well over 90%.
I think the main reason it's that low is because many still think we'll be able to get Pep.

Great post by Invictus yesterday.

People keep saying that Mourinho will last only three years here if appointed. If that materialises, that will be better than having two managers in the last two and a half years, who had six and three year contracts respectively!

He has 'another LvG' written all over him. Time for Giggs.

Lol. He just won the league by extracting every last bit of force left in an aging squad.

6 months later and he's 'another LvG'. Jesus. It may be good for some of us to go another few years without a trophy to realize how batshit crazy it has gotten.

Well, Pep has worked with a much better players than LVG has last few years so we never know.

Messi, Iniesta, Henry, Zlatan, Robben, Robbery, Lewandowski are about as good as Depay, Rooney, Martial, Mata, and Herrera.

So, Pep will do just fine. Our 70% possession will rise to 75%. Brilliant.

Guardiola's philosophy is Van Gaal's philosophy when executed by world class players.

Henry quotes recently that Guardiola's message was always that he would take them up to the final third, but it was always their job to come up with the goals. Basically the root of all our problems this season. When you don't have Messi, Villa, Henry, Lewandowski and Muller at your disposal is when that kind of philosophy hits the rocks.

Exactly. How anyome can call mourinho's tactics similar to van gaal's is simply idiotic.

Lol. He just won the league by extracting every last bit of force left in an aging squad.

6 months later and he's 'another LvG'. Jesus. It may be good for some of us to go another few years without a trophy to realize how batshit crazy it has gotten.

Other than Terry and Ivanovic who else in that Chelsea squad was "aging".

Other than Terry and Ivanovic who else in that Chelsea squad was "aging".

Lol. Thats the freaking core of Chelsea. Their Captain and Vice-Captain. The entire system depended on them. Its why he bought Matic and played Willian out wide.

Once those two dropped off, the whole thing fell apart. Jose wanted players to replace them but was denied by their board. They overestimated their players.

LVG encourages pointless possession, Pep's has a purpose.
Nope. Pep simply has better, more purposeful players. A pass to Messi/Robben/Iniesta/Suarez/Muller/Lewandowski's feet gets used in a much better way than a pass to Memphis/Rooney/Mata's feet. That's the biggest difference.

His football would also look like 'pointless possession' with limited players like Mata, Memphis, Rooney instead of Costa, Muller, Robben.
Or maybe you're right, and Guardiola would be doing just as well at Bayern, if he swapped squads (and mainly attackers) with van Gaal.
Maybe it's also Hodgon's fault that England haven't managed to play a possession game like Del Bosque's Spain did.

Lol. Thats the freaking core of Chelsea. Their Captain and Vice-Captain. The entire system depended on them. Its why he bought Matic and played Willian out wide.

Once those two dropped off, the whole thing fell apart. Jose wanted players to replace them but was denied by their board. They overestimated their players.

He also bought back drogba & he had cech the season he won the leagey. The guy is so reliant on his type of players.

Our identity as a club can go out the window because for him to be successful it's going to be his way, his defensive players playing defensive football. It will be maureen utd & nothing else.

I dont even know how anyone can stand him. Winning is winning but surely it should atleast be done in the right way? Our squad is going to be full of fellaini like cnuts.

He also bought back drogba & he had cech the season he won the leagey. The guy is so reliant on his type of players.

Our identity as a club can go out the window because for him to be successful it's going to be his way, his defensive players playing defensive football. It will be maureen utd & nothing else.

I dont even know how anyone can stand him. Winning is winning but surely it should atleast be done in the right way? Our squad is going to be full of fellaini like cnuts.

He brought back Drogba purely for the dressing room. Off the field Drogba is one of the most respected and beloved players.

Why do I want him? Hes on pace to smash SAF's trophy record. Lol. Defensive football? Hardly. It's pragmatic. His team scored more goals than Arsenal and Barca, the supposed expansive football poster childs.

Nope. Pep simply has better, more purposeful players. A pass to Messi/Robben/Iniesta/Suarez/Muller/Lewandowski's feet gets used in a much better way than a pass to Memphis/Rooney/Mata's feet. That's the biggest difference.

His football would also look like 'pointless possession' with limited players like Mata, Memphis, Rooney instead of Costa, Muller, Robben.
Or maybe you're right, and Guardiola would be doing just as well at Bayern, if he swapped squads (and mainly attackers) with van Gaal.
Maybe it's also Hodgon's fault that England haven't managed to play a possession game like Del Bosque's Spain did.

Good post. People will talk about philosophies and pointless tactics but they have no idea what it is - then assume that everything is bullshit.

Possesion football is kept from defenders to midfielders. The front 3 work almost in tandem but in complete freedom. Something you can see it barcelona & bayern. Any cnut can see the similarities.

This is why he plays left footed CB's because it should in theory allow balls to be played inbetween the lines of the CF & LW. Likewise the same on the Right.

That's why our attack is been shite. Not only has depay struggled but we do t have a single RW to play inbetween the defence - so we as an attacking front force are easy ti defend against.

Funny how people forget van gaal's influence on guardiola's personal career too ( mostly as a footballer).

He brought back Drogba purely for the dressing room. Off the field Drogba is one of the most respected and beloved players.

Why do I want him? Hes on pace to smash SAF's trophy record. Lol. Defensive football? Hardly. It's pragmatic. His team scored more goals than Arsenal and Barca, the supposed expansive football poster childs.

Ah pragmatic football. Sensible football aslong as things are won. Half the kids will go replaced by players only useful aslong as mourhino's in charge.

What happened to his pragmatism this season? TBH the guy has lost any wonder or appeal ever since he went to madrid. I would've been happy with him after fergie - almost something like a father son relationship but he is on a downward spiral & he's been found out.

Pretty much what Xavi said.

He's been found out? Lol. What? He's won 3 trebles, leauges in 4 countries, and 2 UCLs.

And he's found out? Why? Because a team that was clearly looking like it was on fumes towards the end of last year was not added to in any significant manner did not perform?

Eden Hazard hasnt scored a goal in 20 games. But no, that's on Jose as well.

They just drew with Watford at home. That's Jose again. When will he stop?

He's been found out? Lol. What? He's won 3 trebles, leauges in 4 countries, and 2 UCLs.

And he's found out? Why? Because a team that was clearly looking like it was on fumes towards the end of last year was not added to in any significant manner did not perform?

Eden Hazard hasnt scored a goal in 20 games. But no, that's on Jose as well.

They just drew with Watford at home. That's Jose again. When will he stop?

If hazard not scoring isnt his fault then why is it van gaal's fault that our players ar not scoring?