POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Revan

Assumptionman
IMO he is the only manager with the personality to manage the club, he is a proven winner, at least have the conversation, there are obviously things to his way of going on that are not welcome, but if he wants the job like has been said, put it to him, we are going nowhere but down at the moment, another season with no cl after all we spent, feck that.
Yep. We have nothing to lose at this stage (bar a few millions to LVG).

Cina

I've seen the rumours. If he's lost then Mou may be our best hope...but I hate his style of boring football!
Mourinho gets his teams playing far better football than we are under LvG. Not Pep or Klopp levels but certainly more entertaining than this shit

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Please have in mind he won La Liga against the best Barca side ever with 100 points and 121 goals scored, goal difference +89.

So the bus parking argument...just drop it.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I honestly think if he came in right now we could win the league this season.

Bojan11

Everybody wanting him now is forgetting that the Mourinho type of football has really been found out in recent years, especially in Europe. He simply is no future-proof option. Last thing I want for us is to play the reactionary type of football he's been serving up for years. A perceived save haven could turn out to be absolutely killing for us.

No thank you.
Found out?

Has Pep been found out for reaching semi finals at Bayern? That's all what Jose did in his time at Real Madrid or first season back at Chelsea.

I'd take that found out.

Bojan11

Please have in mind he won La Liga against the best Barca side ever with 100 points and 121 goals scored, goal difference +89.

So the bus parking argument...just drop it.
They won't drop it.

Even Fergie in his last 10 years was cautious especially in big away games.

But they will ignore all that.

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Question

Do you want to maintain your excellent tradition of stylish attacking play, continue to develop your youth structure bringing top class young talent into the team, recognise you're in a 3-5 year transition before the cycle becomes successful again with a manager willing to build that or do you appoint a manager whose cynical use of the dark arts allied to using your creative players as work horses in a dogged and dour style representing a complete antithesis to what you have always stood for though possibly providing short term success instead, meaning in 3 years time having sold your soul to the devil your club like Chelsea now implodes into a bigger debacle than you could ever imagine with a team of mercenaries who have no love for the club or the shirt they wear?

Tell me, I'm keen to know

Winrar

I really don't like mourinho but it looks like we have no other choice at this stage, especially with reports saying ancelotti about to sign for bayern.

Woodzy

My pros and cons for Jose:

Cons

- he can be an absolute cnut of human being. More so than ever in the last few years. Do we really want someone like that at the club?
- he can be known for playing dull, defensive football, especially in the bigger games.
- we will be replacing the second most under-performing manager this season, with the first most under-performing manager...
- he may not be here long-term if his history is to go by
- known for not really giving youth a chance. With the point above in mind though, has he really been around long enough at one club to see a player progress and put the right sort of faith in him?
- many players have had fallings out with him, and the recent scenario at Chelsea is a huge concern.
- he was sacked from a team of Champions within 6 months.

Pros

- we are very, very desperate. He is the best option available and we can get him right now
- he genuinely wants this job. We should have gotten him 3 bloody years ago! Just maybe we can be the club that he will stick around at
- following on from that, I don't think his heart was in Chelsea the second time round (yet he still managed to clinch himself a title). Giving him the job here could be all it takes to get him back on top form.
- proven winner, and I genuinely think he can secure us Top 4 with one or two players coming in. I don't think LvG can guarantee that.
- he will lift the morale of this team when we are crying out for it. I'm not sure bringing anyone else in right now can do that in the way he could.
- he will have no issues with shipping out players that he thinks aren't good enough. He will likely give Rooney a chance since he is a self-confessed Rooney fan, but I very much doubt that he and a few others would last that long
- he has had some of his teams over the years playing wonderful football, as recently as his Chelsea side last season. Always tends to be against the lesser sides, but hey, wouldn't it be great to be beating the likes of Norwich 4 - 0 or 5 - 0?
- at least the media may start to like us a bit
- he may just be the biggest draw there is for some of the biggest names in football.
- it'll be great to see Arsene Wenger hate us again

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Would prefer Pep or Ancelotti but if they're not on the table then I can't think of anyone better than Mourinho, even with all his flaws.

Plus tbf the guy does adore us so he can't be all bad.

Minimalist

Question

Do you want to maintain your excellent tradition of stylish attacking play, continue to develop your youth structure bringing top class young talent into the team, recognise you're in a 3-5 year transition before the cycle becomes successful again with a manager willing to build that or do you appoint a manager whose cynical use of the dark arts allied to using your creative players as work horses in a dogged and dour style representing a complete antithesis to what you have always stood for though possibly providing short term success instead, meaning in 3 years time having sold your soul to the devil your club like Chelsea now implodes into a bigger debacle than you could ever imagine with a team of mercenaries who have no love for the club or the shirt they wear?

I'm keen for you to use full-stops.

vibe

Unless we've already reached a verbal agreement with Pep to come in the summer, I can't name a single reason for Mou not to take over effective immediately.

"But he's toxic and loses the dressingroom"

So does van Gaal.

"But his style is defensive and doesn't suit the United way"

So is van Gaal's, except Mou's busparking actually gets results.

"But he was sacked by Chelsea because of poor results."

Our results have been just as poor lately, it's just our early season form keeping us away from being where Chelsea is.

I actually don't regret ever appointing LvG. On paper it was a good appointment, he had us looking amazingly at his first preseason, he shook off a very poor start to his campaign and got a full head of steam near the end of the season to bag us a much needed top 4 finish. But that was his ceiling and it shows this season. He wasn't a bad signing post-Moyes, but it's clear that this is as much as he can do. We needed someone on short notice to get us back into top 4 contention and LvG did his job, but now we need a manager who can get us in contention for the title, which LvG just can't do. I'm not saying Mou is the answer and that the second we sign him, we'll wind the league. But he's available, he won't be available for long and LvG has clearly shown that top 4 is the most he can do for United. It's worth the gamble.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
- known for not really giving youth a chance. With the point above in mind though, has he really been around long enough at one club to see a player progress and put the right sort of faith in him?
Chelsea have got the best set of youths in the country. He didn't bother giving them chances and now they're on loan at various clubs, with some wanting to leave for good to get football. If he's not giving them games, he certainly wouldn't give our reserve/academy players a chance.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
If we can't get Pep or Ancelotti, what harm could it be to try out Mouhrino? Would you rather see Van Gaal continue to make our club a laughing stock whilst serving up the worst football in the league?

I'm not demanding we win the league or anything, but after having spent 200m i at lest expect progress, not regression

Woodzy

Chelsea have got the best set of youths in the country. He didn't bother giving them chances and now they're on loan at various clubs, with some wanting to leave for good to get football. If he's not giving them games, he certainly wouldn't give our reserve/academy players a chance.
I do agree. Not sticking with Lukaku and De Bruyne specifically, is criminal, since they were ready to step up at the time.

Bojan11

You keep saying this.

I keep responding how many Chelsea managers in the last 10 years have given youth players a chance? Or Real Madrid ones? Please name them. Even Ancelotti ignores youth.

You don't get a chance to play youth at Chelsea or Real Madrid. Roman or Perez buy players for you and force you to play them.

Guardiola has had access to two of the best youth setups in Europe.

Lentwood

Question

Great post

Should obviously do Option 1, are blindly bleating our way to getting Option 2 because everything in football has to been an instant success now

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
You keep saying this.

I keep responding how many Chelsea managers in the last 10 years have given youth players a chance? Or Real Madrid ones? Please name them. Even Ancelotti ignores youth.

You don't get a chance to play youth at Chelsea or Real Madrid. Roman or Perez buy players for you and force you to play them.
Abramovich attends most youth games at Chelsea and has been wanting Mourinho to play them more.

Ixion

He was very keen on getting Rooney a couple of years ago for Chelsea. Do we think Mourinho now would have the balls to drop Wayne?

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
This situation is made for him. It all slots into place. Give it to him until the end of the season, if he does well extend his contract, if he doesn't we can look for a new manager.

Judas

Open to offers
This would be unlike anything Mourinho has ever had to deal with, wouldn't it? Or am I mis-remembering the past. It's not his typical job, or timing to start work at a club at all.

Bojan11

Abramovich attends most youth games at Chelsea and has been wanting Mourinho to play them more.
He has been attending youth games for a long time.

So name me the managers who given youth a chance at clubs like Madrid or Chelsea?

I'd understand if Jose was at Bayern or Barca and you'd have a go at him for this. Jose has never really been at a club where he's been told to promote youth players like us.

MarkC

On the radio this week someone mentioned SAF is supposed to be looking in great nick. Sneaky two year contract?
This please. I'd take another two years of him over anybody available. Trying not to let in enter my thinking though as don't think SAF is the type to do this.

His Real team broke the record for most goals scored in a La Liga season as far as I know.

They were very good in 2011-2012.
I'm not sure if you're agreeing or using the stat to show how attacking they were. I watched them and like I say I think they were good but they were more defensive and used other tactics to win games than a traditional Real team would especially in big games. They want all out attack like us but all I am saying is I think he managed to balance attacking well with having a team defensively good as your stat shows.

Mindhunter

I really hate Mourinho and wouldn't like to see him here but simply can't agree to the people saying he will leave behind squad of mercenaries. We already have a squad of mercenaries.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
This is the real Jose Mourinho effect. He is a manager so divisive that he forces supporters to buy in totally his vision and management style. That buy-in is so entrenched, creating a siege mentality around the club, that any split will be soaked in acrimony and discord. The highs are high but the fall ends in a bumpy landing. Alex Ferguson’s famous missive was that no player should be bigger than the club. Mourinho had become bigger than Chelsea. This sacking is his story, not theirs.
http://www.football365.com/news/chelsea-there-goes-the-fear

bleedred

Question

Option 1: Do you mean like Arsenal, where they have been in transition for 10 years, winning two leagues, promoting youth players, only for them to move to other clubs for winning trophies. Our only top class talent produced in the last 10-15 years is playing for Juventus.

There is no reason to believe that transition will be 3-5 years. Look at Liverpool.

Option 2: No manager is long term anymore. so short term success is the way to go. It is crucial for utd, because the first title post-Fergie will be like a monkey off the back, meaning we wont be going down the road like liverpool.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Option 1: Do you mean like Arsenal, where they have been in transition for 10 years, winning two leagues, promoting youth players, only for them to move to other clubs for winning trophies. Our only top class talent produced in the last 10-15 years is playing for Juventus.

There is no reason to believe that transition will be 3-5 years. Look at Liverpool.

Option 2: No manager is long term anymore. so short term success is the way to go. It is crucial for utd, because the first title post-Fergie will be like a monkey off the back, meaning we wont be going down the road like liverpool.
Absolutely agree. If we'd get Jose to stay 3 years, I'd consider this long-term! The greatest clubs in the world move coaches around quick, why should this all of a sudden be an issue. What are people actually expecting, another messiah-Fergie type of coach that's gonna stick with us for the next two decades? Wtf?

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
As for playing defensive in important games, ffs look how Fergie had us playing against City..

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic

To be fair to Arsenal, their spending was necessarily limited in that time because they needed to repay the loans to fund the stadium. Their net spend in that time was one of the lowest but they must be applauded for qualifying each year for the CL and Now they are beginning to see the benefits of that making big money buys for Ozil and Sanchez

OK. You've voted for the dark side. If you go for Mourinho, you'll have a style of plat that will see Matt Busby spinning in his grave and in a very short time, no youth to speak of and a team of mercenaries who couldn't give a toss for the club or have pride in wearing the shirt

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Sam

The problem with Jose is that he genuinely seems to have gone through some sort of mid-life crisis/breakdown. I think a break away from the spotlight might be the best thing for him.

And thats coming from someone who has been calling for him from the moment Fergie retired, and berating the clubs decision to let him to to Chelsea.

Minimalist

To be fair to Arsenal, their spending was necessarily limited in that time because they needed to repay the loans to fund the stadium. Their net spend in that time was one of the lowest but they must be applauded for qualifying each year for the CL and Now they are beginning to see the benefits of that making big money buys for Ozil and Sanchez

OK. You've voted for the dark side. If you go for Mourinho, you'll have a style of plat that will see Matt Busby spinning in his grave and in a very short time, no youth to speak of and a team of mercenaries who couldn't give a toss for the club or have pride in wearing the shirt

Ah and what youth have we seen at United recently worth the shirt? I'm all for youth players bulking out the squad if they are to standard but the majority of players we've seen recently under Van Gaal don't look like they have the quality required. Playing them just for the sake of it is pointless.

Team of mercenaries? Like damn near every club in Europe? You think players are genuine supporters of the club? Majority of them aren't pal. Our captain certainly isn't.

Be careful what we wish for? You mean trophies? That Mourinho would appear to be excellent at attaining? Okay. Bring it on.

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
Mourinho gets his teams playing far better football than we are under LvG. Not Pep or Klopp levels but certainly more entertaining than this shit
One thing is for sure, he'd motivate them at least.

bleedred

If it is indeed true, in the past 4-5 years he would have waken up by now and would have been in the dug out himself.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
No just no. Would rather stick with van Gaal and Giggs till the end od the season and wait for Pep or Carlo. And even if we don't get them, then give it to a promising young manager.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I'd feel bad for Mata because he's a good guy, but he's been poor lately.

Enigma_87

You know who
It has come to a time that we need a change in order to keep this season on track and finish top 4. We need a change it seems, coming from the results from the last two months.

Mourinho and Ancelotti are the only viable options now that are available. I'd prefer Ancelotti, but if he isn't available then Jose must be brought in.

There's no point in promoting Giggs or other no name or crap manager.