[Poll Added] Hypothetical: Next manager after Jose Mourinho

Who would be your current choice for next manager after Jose Mourinho?

• Total voters
Are there any new news regarding rumours about a new manager ? I feel all the speculations have suddenly went quiet . Its starting to feel that Jose might be getting another window of opportunity to save his job and the media has been briefed about it by the club .

He's not won anything yet, nor handled a dressing room/club as big as ours.

Tough one. Everyone needs a shot, or to start somewhere, but look at how the disaster, that is David Moyes, turned out.

But I'd not be too keen at all. Though appointing big name managers has also not worked out for us, tbh.

If we were to give someone a chance/take a punt on someone "unproven" (i.t.o of big club experience or EPL at least), why not rather someone like the Shakthar coach (Fonseca iirc) or the Monaco coach (Jardim) - they have UCL experience at least.
You either need experience of managing a big club or being in a big club environment. You need experience of managing big name players, being a big name player or playing alongside big name players, I would also suggest you need experience of what big games, cup finals and European football is like in some capacity. Im pretty sure Eddie Howe, good as he has been up to his current level ticks little or none of these boxes.

We cant risk people being overawed by Manchester United. Moyes looked like a rabbit in the headlights most of the time despite managing a relatively big club in the PL before getting the job.

The he has won nothing narrative is genuinely lame and embarassing. Trophy winning managers aren't guaranteed to do a better job than the others.
Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus had no problems with appointing managers that won nothing. I don't know why we should be any different, and these teams have been more successful than us in the past ten years.
I don't know how someone that have managed in a team where it is easy to win a trophy or somehow got to fluke one or two trophies would be considered a better option than someone that have fluked none.
It's okay if you neither want nor like a coach, but c'mon, get me a better and more convincing argument.
Don't cowardly hide behind the 'he has won nothing' thingy.
UCL experience is also negligible and you have to manage a big club to get big club experience.
If you think you need big club experience to manage a big club, then how did those managers with big club experience manage to get them?

We need a fresh poll. My gut feeling is Poch isn’t as popular as he once was around these parts.

With regards to Howe he’s done a cracking job at Bournemouth but British managers (particularly English ones) are generally a massive risk as more often than not they can’t cut it tactically on the biggest stages and personally I’d be average to gambling on one again after Moyes.

Also you have to look at the big picture and whether Howes tactical framework whilst super effective for the level of club he is at can translate to the big stage and with big players. That’s why the German at Hoffenheim despite doing less relative to Howe arguably might prove the better top level manager because his tactics are already capable of competing at a European level (what ceiling they can reach is unpredictable but generally speaking a good German coach is less of a risk than a British one).

I’d like to see Howe go to Spurs after Poch, or England after Southgate or a Everton if Silva wasn’t there and then see if he can produce at a higher level.

@Raees who would you go for post-mourinho?

It’s a very tough decision IMO because I asked for Klopp and Pep after Fergie (with Jose as third choice) and this preseason I wanted us to sack Jose off and get in Sarri. I wasn’t too convinced about Tuchel because I felt he benefitted from Klopps groundwork whereas Sarri had built a playing philosophy off his own back.

The thinking being that we need to kick start the modernisation of our playing style and even if the manager doesn’t win anything we can at least start putting down good playing fundamentals and be on a level playing field with the European giants and Liverpool and City.

Now I don’t see any obvious ‘modern super coach’ on the same level as the aforementioned who I would definitely go for and therefore whoever we go for it will be a gamble.

My candidates would be limited to Jardim - excellent coach who has brought through a wave of top European talent and capable of winning trophies (but question marks remain about whether he is actually a attacking coach or a pragmatic one), Zidane (I don’t rate his coaching abilities, but tactically he’s solid, he’s arguably at the peak of his managerial acumen and I think he’s a safe choice to stabalise the ship and then outside of these two - I’d be looking at some very untested coaches but ones with a distinctive identity in how they want to play the game. Someone like Xavi or Henry ... With the experience of playing in some sumptuous football sides and exposed to the modern playing philosophies and pair them up with experienced assistant coaches/experienced directors of football etc.

Poch would be an outside bet for me as something about him screams choker to some degree and I don’t like how narrow his teams set up. That said, he has now tried to incorporate Lucas and Lamela into his sides so I’m intrigued to see if his team can become more exciting to watch. I personally find Spurs a grind to watch against smaller sides and I don’t think United fans would be that excited with his playing style (but is obviously better than what we have now).

Other than that I would not consider any English or negative managers like Simeone or Allegri as I just think culturally it’s not the right fit and the fans will once again be divided and who wants to go through all this civil war shit all over again.

Last edited:
I voted Jardim when the thread was made and I'm sticking to it. There is a chance he may not survive this season given Monaco's poor start so I think he should be available. A coach who plays a modern attacking style of football who cab truly take the club forward.

We can sack Mourinho, and i'm not completely against that, but I think the manager is only the tip of the problem. There is obviously some huge deeper problems within the club, I don't know what exactly but there is something poison in our club. We've had 3 managers since Sir Alex retired and with every one of those we have ended up being desperate to see them sacked, is that a coincidence? I don't think so. All 3 of those managers were highly successful elsewhere, particularly LVG and Mourinho, Moyes didn't win trophies but he done a fantastic job at Everton. I'd love to know what way we'd be if we gave Moyes more time and backed him in the transfer market. Would we be worse off now? I don't think so, we are looking as lost and clueless as we have ever done since Fergie retired and chopping and changing the manager isn't going to change that. I bet any man a pound that if we get Zidane, by the time 2021 comes round we will be begging to see the back of him like we have the other 3, we've lost our identity, and I've no idea how to get it back, I doubt anyone does. I just don't know anymore.

I agree. Regarding the identity point, I feel the only way is to integrate the CO92, or at least some of them. Hell I'd even be willing to give Giggs a good chance here if Jose went. Giggs in charge with the like of McKenna, Carrick, Butt and perhaps players like Scholes coaching. Back them up with the best coaches and scouts we can find. That would be a positive management team that knows what is required here. I'd give it a shot, because I'm not convinced Zidane, Ancelotti would change much anyway.

No, stop this well he's a British manager shit. He's not good enough for Man United and it would be an awful mistake. I'm chatting Moyes 2.0, there is literally nothing to suggest that he's qualified for the job. He has no experience of winning trophies, never been involved with a top level club in management or his playing career.

You could be referring to Pochettino there. He's probably No1 choice too amongst posters on here.

Do some want a new Moyes ? Good or bad, Howe will be out of his depth here. The players aren't respecting Mourinho so why the hell will they respect a no name ? How would he address our prima donna star, Pogba when the latter has done in his career more than Howe has and will ever do ? He will be Moyes vol 2.

It’s a very tough decision IMO because I asked for Klopp and Pep after Fergie (with Jose as third choice) and this preseason I wanted us to sack Jose off and get in Sarri. I wasn’t too convinced about Tuchel because I felt he benefitted from Klopps groundwork whereas Sarri had built a playing philosophy off his own back.

The thinking being that we need to kick start the modernisation of our playing style and even if the manager doesn’t win anything we can at least start putting down good playing fundamentals and be on a level playing field with the European giants and Liverpool and City.

Now I don’t see any obvious ‘modern super coach’ on the same level as the aforementioned who I would definitely go for and therefore whoever we go for it will be a gamble.

My candidates would be limited to Jardim - excellent coach who has brought through a wave of top European talent and capable of winning trophies (but question marks remain about whether he is actually a attacking coach or a pragmatic one), Zidane (I don’t rate his coaching abilities, but tactically he’s solid, he’s arguably at the peak of his managerial acumen and I think he’s a safe choice to stabalise the ship and then outside of these two - I’d be looking at some very untested coaches but ones with a distinctive identity in how they want to play the game. Someone like Xavi or Henry ... With the experience of playing in some sumptuous football sides and exposed to the modern playing philosophies and pair them up with experienced assistant coaches/experienced directors of football etc.

Poch would be an outside bet for me as something about him screams choker to some degree and I don’t like how narrow his teams set up. That said, he has now tried to incorporate Lucas and Lamela into his sides so I’m intrigued to see if his team can become more exciting to watch. I personally find Spurs a grind to watch against smaller sides and I don’t think United fans would be that excited with his playing style (but is obviously better than what we have now).

Other than that I would not consider any English or negative managers like Simeone or Allegri as I just think culturally it’s not the right fit and the fans will once again be divided and who wants to go through all this civil war shit all over again.
Jardim would be a gamble but probably the best gamble to get the best out of martial, Rashford, and Fred in particular. Young players would certainly get their chance.

Like you I’m not convinced by Poch at all. I think he’s lucky that he’s got Kane on his books to add a bit more gloss. Funnily enough I think he’s become a more conservative coach at spurs compared to Southampton

The he has won nothing narrative is genuinely lame and embarassing. Trophy winning managers aren't guaranteed to do a better job than the others.
Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus had no problems with appointing managers that won nothing. I don't know why we should be any different, and these teams have been more successful than us in the past ten years.
I don't know how someone that have managed in a team where it is easy to win a trophy or somehow got to fluke one or two trophies would be considered a better option than someone that have fluked none.
It's okay if you neither want nor like a coach, but c'mon, get me a better and more convincing argument.
Don't cowardly hide behind the 'he has won nothing' thingy.
UCL experience is also negligible and you have to manage a big club to get big club experience.
If you think you need big club experience to manage a big club, then how did those managers with big club experience manage to get them?
Well you need to read my entire post then, because I never said he shouldn't get the job because he's never managed a big club or won a trophy, I simply implied that those were, IMO, negatives or risks against him.

In the exact same post I even stated that appointing "proven managers/winners" hasn't worked out too well for us anyway, and that the smaller guys "have to start somewhere".

I'm all for these types of risks - hell, I'd have fully backed Giggs if he was given the chance. Though also, the more we struggle to get the appointment right, the more important the next appointment becomes. It's "easier" to appoint a relatively young/bright manager (who might be lacking the experience) from a position of strength - or when you have a clear identity. We currently lack both.

But yeah, doesn't mean that there's no validity in the claim/concern, because there is. You'd be a fool to think otherwise.

Do some want a new Moyes ? Good or bad, Howe will be out of his depth here. The players aren't respecting Mourinho so why the hell will they respect a no name ? How would he address our prima donna star, Pogba when the latter has done in his career more than Howe has and will ever do ? He will be Moyes vol 2.

I think they don't respect Jose because of his style of play it was the same thing at RM and looks like it's the same thing here just look at Pogbas comments about attacking more. It's the style of play that the players don't respect when it comes to Jose.

I think if we brought in someone like Howe for example he would get the players believing in his tactics. Howe, Naglesmann, Poch etc have all done this, they have their players believing in their tactics!

This is what we need ❤

I think they don't respect Jose because of his style of play it was the same thing at RM and looks like it's the same thing here just look at Pogbas comments about attacking more. It's the style of play that the players don't respect when it comes to Jose.

I think if we brought in someone like Howe for example he would get the players believing in his tactics. Howe, Naglesmann, Poch etc have all done this, they have their players believing in their tactics!

This is what we need ❤

They won't respect Howe. The likes of Pep and Zidane with Barca and Madrid commanded respect thanks to their history with the club earlier even if they have no managerial experience. If we hire Giggs for example he'll also command respect. The same won't happen for Howe, he will have nothing to show to the players if he critcizes one of them. Some of our players have far bigger and better career than him.

That's exactly what happened to Moyes here. He failed to earn players respect and was out od his depth. The same is happening for Lopetegui at Madrid now.

They won't respect Howe. The likes of Pep and Zidane with Barca and Madrid commanded respect thanks to their history with the club earlier even if they have no managerial experience. If we hire Giggs for example he'll also command respect. The same won't happen for Howe, he will have nothing to show to the players if he critcizes one of them. Some of our players have far bigger and better career than him.

That's exactly what happened to Moyes here. He failed to earn players respect and was out od his depth. The same is happening for Lopetegui at Madrid now.

Players didn't respect Moyes because his brand of football was negative and didn't believe he could win games.

Pep got his players to believe in his tactics that's why he succeeded he didn't win anything major before Barca.

Poch has put some serious doubts over him, especially in last season or two. That and dealing with his current contract or Levy make him a no go at this point imo.

This is what we need ❤

Naglesmann and Howe both interest me massively as one is 30 and the other 39 I think so they are young enough to build a dynasty here, I think both probably need another top job first however, Howe taking Spurs if Poch leaves and Naglesmann Dortmund after Leipzig. Great shout though!

Naglesmann and Howe both interest me massively as one is 30 and the other 39 I think so they are young enough to build a dynasty here, I think both probably need another top job first however, Howe taking Spurs if Poch leaves and Naglesmann Dortmund after Leipzig. Great shout though!

It's true - I'm just playing devils advocate lol I want Tuchel or Jardim as our next manager. Both play good football and do well with the youth.❤

Moyes lost respect from his players by the way he acted and his tactics. He came out with some outrageous comments 'We should be more like Man City' was one....he was also said have shown Rio one of bets ever CBs videos of of Phil Jagielka saying this how he wants him to play. The man is an idiot and has one hell of an ego based on some his comments since.....still thinks of himself as top class.

Eddie Howe doesn't come across as having any ego, so there is no comparison........After Moyes, Van Gaal & Mou I really thing we need a manager who puts the team and his players first. This is what players respect not the name or previous achievements, Poch hasn't won anything and has the major respect of his players, I would like someone of the same nature in to manage our club. Eddie Howe ticks the boxes for me.

Nagelsmann has already agreed to take over RB Leipzig next season hasn't he?

Shame we can't go for Ancelotti. He's the kind of manager that is needed right now. But for the time being I'd go for Blanc or Queiroz if available. Until we can find a decent young manager or just hire Poch in a year or two.

Shame we can't go for Ancelotti. He's the kind of manager that is needed right now. But for the time being I'd go for Blanc or Queiroz if available. Until we can find a decent young manager or just hire Poch in a year or two.

I predict Ancelotti would be a car crash and I don't think our fans would ever really take to him. Gone within 2 seasons if it happened.

Voted Pochettino , but to buy him out of his contract would be 30 to 40 mill, coupled with Mourinho's payout of 20 plus mill, six or so players out of contract in the summer. Pogba wouldn't fit into a Pochettino team, if he uses his tried and tested 4-2-3-1, meaning he would opt for a 3-5-2 with the current squad. Pochettino would definitely upgrade the defence, probably keep Bailly and Smalling. Fred would be his Eriksen, not sure who would be his Dembele. Sanchez his Lamela, and would need an addition of two players to play AMC and AMR., Strikers he wouldn't be to concerned, Martial, Rashford or Lukaku.

Whoever comes in will ask for a kitty in the region of 150 to 200 mill.

It will more than likely be Conte, as Levy plays hard ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.

Arsene, Conte, Zidane only big names free at the moment.

Well I think Arsene is out of touch, Conte is too negative and Zidane unproven at building a team up. That's our problem though; I'm not sure any coach/manager has a track record of turning around a huge club in the situation we are in.

We really should be taking stock and determining what we want our football to look like and our squad in 3-5years time and start working towards it. That probably means a DOF, new progressive coach, selling off of older players and investing in youth and rising players at most 23-24 years old.

We need a proper long-term rebuild.

I predict Ancelotti would be a car crash and I don't think our fans would ever really take to him. Gone within 2 seasons if it happened.

Why? I'm not worried about our fans right now. It'll be a short-term solution as we need experience and a good attitude in the dressing room. He knows the league, he quickly adapts and he's well liked by players. Also, compared to Jose or Conte, he's sane.

Players didn't respect Moyes because his brand of football was negative and didn't believe he could win games.

Pep got his players to believe in his tactics that's why he succeeded he didn't win anything major before Barca.

They didn't respect Moyes because they thought they were too big for him and they were right.

I'm not talking about managerial experience but Pep was a previous Barca player and had history by them, so he commands respect by nature.

Last edited:
Why? I'm not worried about our fans right now. It'll be a short-term solution as we need experience and a good attitude in the dressing room. He knows the league, he quickly adapts and he's well liked by players. Also, compared to Jose or Conte, he's sane.

It depends what you want. If you want somebody to steady the ship then fine. But if we want to bridge the gap between us and City then I don't think he's the man.

You make it sound like our players are some sort of egoistic cartels that won't respect a weak drug lord.
There's no reason why a team won't obey it's coach unless he is out of his depth or trying to make them play in a difficult way. We are talking about seasoned professional footballers who would probably do anything to maximise their careers and enjoy the sport. The notion that the players won't respect Howe or any other manager is another assumption that is being made to sound like a fact.

Moyes lost respect from his players by the way he acted and his tactics. He came out with some outrageous comments 'We should be more like Man City' was one....he was also said have shown Rio one of bets ever CBs videos of of Phil Jagielka saying this how he wants him to play. The man is an idiot and has one hell of an ego based on some his comments since.....still thinks of himself as top class.

Eddie Howe doesn't come across as having any ego, so there is no comparison........After Moyes, Van Gaal & Mou I really thing we need a manager who puts the team and his players first. This is what players respect not the name or previous achievements, Poch hasn't won anything and has the major respect of his players, I would like someone of the same nature in to manage our club. Eddie Howe ticks the boxes for me.

That's the problem mate, not a positive.

In order to control the dressing room of a big club you need to have ego and charisma, otherwise you'll eaten alive by the big players.

Moyes wasn't respected because he was a nothing manager, has no character at all and the job was too big for him. Tactics have nothing to do with it. He was simply out of his depth and players thought they were bigger than him, and they were right.

Poch has worked at higher environment and dealt with players at higher level than Bournemouth. I honestly don't understand the comparison. No one is talking about trophies. No one is saying he's a bad manager either.

It doesn't have to do anything with managerial experience. As I said, if we hire Giggs, he'll command respect from all players. If we're going the British manager for the job, Giggs is number 1 choice then.

They didn't respect Moyes because they thought they were too big for him and they were right.

I'm not talking about managerial experience but Pep was a previous Barca player and had history by them, somhe commands respect by nature.

They won't respond to a philosophy they don't buy into. That's the problem for Moyes and Mourinho. Likely not an issue with Howe.

That's the problem mate, not a positive.

In order to control the dressing room of a big club you need to have ego and charisma, otherwise you'll eaten alive by the big players.

Moyes wasn't respected because he was a nothing manager, has no character at all and the job was too big for him. Tactics have nothing to do with it. He was simply out of his depth and players thought they were bigger than him, and they were right.

Poch has worked at higher environment and dealt with players at higher level than Bournemouth. I honestly don't understand the comparison. No one is talking about trophies. No one is saying he's a bad manager either.

It doesn't have to do anything with managerial experience. As I said, if we hire Giggs, he'll command respect from all players. If we're going the British manager for the job, Giggs is number 1 choice then.
Mourinho ticks all the boxes and we all know how it is going right now. You do know we are talking about a coach, a tactician? The players are meant to respect the ideas more than the man himself.

You make it sound like our players are some sort of egoistic cartels that won't respect a weak drug lord.
There's no reason why a team won't obey it's coach unless he is out of his depth or trying to make them play in a difficult way. We are talking about seasoned professional footballers who would probably do anything to maximise their careers and enjoy the sport. The notion that the players won't respect Howe or any other manager is another assumption that is being made to sound like a fact.

They won't respond to a philosophy they don't buy into. That's the problem for Moyes and Mourinho. Likely not an issue with Howe.

Mourinho ticks all the boxes and we all know how it is going right now. You do know we are talking about a coach, a tactician? The players are meant to respect the ideas more than the man himself.

I'm not going to write several posts on the same subject on 3-4 posters. Jeez, this happens really a lot here, being surrounded and all that.

In short, no tactics aren't enough to succeed at top level. You need to have the character and the personality to deal with big stars succeed there as well, not just at United but any top club, otherwise you will end being out of your depth. It's very naive to think otherwise. Zidan biggest reason for success at Madrid wasn't tactics, he didn't develop a definitive play style and played a simple game, but he managed egos and commanded respect, something several Madrid managers fail to do, including the current one.

Claudio Ranieri to take over till end of season if Mourinho getting the sacked soon. Don't think those big names managers would fancy taking over mid season

I'm not going to write several posts on the same subject on 3-4 posters. Jeez, this happens really a lot here, being surrounded and all that.

In short, no tactics aren't enough to succeed at top level. You need to have the character and the personality to deal with big stars succeed there as well, not just at United but any top club, otherwise you will end being out of your depth. It's very naive to think otherwise. Zidan biggest reason for success at Madrid wasn't tactics, he didn't develop a definitive play style and played a simple game, but he managed egos and commanded respect, something several Madrid managers fail to do, including the current one.
Zidane is not a good example. The players didn't turn on Zidane, not just because he commanded respect, but because he got them playing and winning. Look at Benitez at Madrid, he's got ego, he's got experience, but that didn't stop the players from downing tools when he tried to instill a defensive mentality on them and was completely out of his depth - I'd say Benitez should be the example, not Zidane.
When a team is playing really well, with a coach that have very nice ideas, winning games, trophies and enjoying the game, the team would grow to like and respect the manager no matter who it is.