Gaming PlayStation 5

Bought Streets of Rage 4. What a fun game. I was in the mood for something like this. Don't have to concentrate on the narrative or watch 20 minute cut scenes, just pure gameplay. I will say, not a huge fan of the music. It's not terrible, but it really doesn't stand out like in Streets of Rage 2

Bought Streets of Rage 4. What a fun game. I was in the mood for something like this. Don't have to concentrate on the narrative or watch 20 minute cut scenes, just pure gameplay. I will say, not a huge fan of the music. It's not terrible, but it really doesn't stand out like in Streets of Rage 2
Just completed it myself. Feel dirty as I put on assist mode for the final level as it (and my own incompetence) was pissing me right off but all in all it was good fun. Music wasn’t great I agree but I just put on Spotify over it.

Just completed it myself. Feel dirty as I put on assist mode for the final level as it (and my own incompetence) was pissing me right off but all in all it was good fun. Music wasn’t great I agree but I just put on Spotify over it.

Yeah, some of the enemies are a real pain in the arse. Those mohawk women that fly kick through the air fry my brain!

Could someone help me with picking out a game I might like? I really don't like games where the emphasis is on stories and there are lots of cutscenes etc. Also no side missions if possible. Just need core gameplay, and the focus should be one improving on this gameplay throughout the duration of the game. I know this is kind of vague, but I'm struggling to put what I want into words atm.
Have you played God of War?

Ah yes, God of War. The game with an infamously minimal story :lol:

@LoneStar Devil May Cry 5 and Resident Evil Village might work better. There's cutscenes but the gameplay comes first and foremost.

@LoneStar Devil May Cry 5 and Resident Evil Village might work better. There's cutscenes but the gameplay comes first and foremost.
I didn’t really have a clue what was happening most of the time with the story. The gameplay carries it for me. Such satisfying combat.

Oh man what a game, even if you haven’t played the originals it’s a must play.
Yeh I never played the originals but it’s easily one of the best games I’ve ever played. Unbelievable combat and the world is great too. Can’t wait for the next one. I still remember buying it with trepidation wondering if I’d enjoy it but man was a glad that I did.

Could someone help me with picking out a game I might like? I really don't like games where the emphasis is on stories and there are lots of cutscenes etc. Also no side missions if possible. Just need core gameplay, and the focus should be one improving on this gameplay throughout the duration of the game. I know this is kind of vague, but I'm struggling to put what I want into words atm.

Doom and Metal Gear Solid V are two games with excellent gameplay where the story, at least for me, doesn't matter one bit.

Never played either. Is Metal Gear purely stealth gameplay?

Not strictly. For me, it's best played that way and is in contention for one of the best games I've ever played gameplay-wise. You can go all-in guns blazing, but the game is at its best when you pick people off carefully. It's just really satisfying. Especially when you start using the sniper rifle which comes in both lethal and tranquilizer form, so you can transport people back to your base.

It's just an incredible game to play.

Metal Gear Solid 1-4 are excellent it went drastically downhill once it became sandbox open world.

MGS V is one of the best games of all time from a gameplay perspective. Story, not so much.

Have to agree to disagree, it was just another generic open world game for me i hated it, i'm well and truly open world fatigued.

Have to agree to disagree, it was just another generic open world game for me i hated it, i'm well and truly open world fatigued.

Well, we're in agreement there. I'm the same way. I've had enough of them (with some exceptions). Although, I think I've had enough of the Ubisoft-style open-world game, which is just the same shite game after game. It's like a creative vacuum.

MGS V was that exception for me. It was just so good.

But MGSV wasn't a traditional open world. Only BoTW beats it for the most realised open world ever created. The options you had available on each mission was mind boggling.

The main issue with that world is it's lifeless. It's very much is intended as a sandbox for players to mess around in rather than being a traditional open world.

Gameplay wise MGSV is the best of the series (arguments can be made for 3 being as good). It just didn't feel like a proper MGS game because the story took a backseat and gave the agency to the player.

Have you played God of War?
No, I haven't. Are you referring to the latest one, or the original ones? I have a PS5, so not sure if the original ones are compatible.

Doom and Metal Gear Solid V are two games with excellent gameplay where the story, at least for me, doesn't matter one bit.
I just got the Doom disc delivered yesterday! Looking at the trailer and reviews, it seemed like a no nonsense shooting game.

Thanks! I'll take a look at these.

Btw any tips on FPS games with aiming? I used to play CSGO and COD in college using a MKB, but aiming seems very hard with a controller.

Btw any tips on FPS games with aiming? I used to play CSGO and COD in college using a MKB, but aiming seems very hard with a controller.
If you’re playing cod, play hardcore. You have no choice but to get quicker at it.

No, I haven't. Are you referring to the latest one, or the original ones? I have a PS5, so not sure if the original ones are compatible.

I just got the Doom disc delivered yesterday! Looking at the trailer and reviews, it seemed like a no nonsense shooting game.

They mean the latest one which is free on the ps plus collection with a PS5 upgrade! It’s really good!

Metal Gear Solid 1-4 are excellent it went drastically downhill once it became sandbox open world.
I'd kill for a PS5 port for MGS. Best game series of all time. Shame about 5 though. Great addictive gameplay but everything else was shit. Nothing like MGS game.

The new God of War is a masterpiece. Yeah there's a lot of cutscenes but there entertaining and short enough. And the gameplay is fun as hell.

I'd kill for a PS5 port for MGS. Best game series of all time. Shame about 5 though. Great addictive gameplay but everything else was shit. Nothing like MGS game.

For sure MGS 1 what a game for it's time, had everything.

Still remember being mind blown from having to plug in your controller in port 2 to stop psycho mantis reading your mind!

Also reading your past by whats on the memory card, incredible.

Yeh the most recent God of War is absolutely brilliant. The combat is excellent and while the story is good you don’t need to pay it too much attention.

For sure MGS 1 what a game for it's time, had everything.

Still remember being mind blown from having to plug in your controller in port 2 to stop psycho mantis reading your mind!

Also reading your past by whats on the memory card, incredible.
Yeah that was so ahead of its time. I pray there's a remake of it coming soon from what the rumors say. It'll be incredible.

Yeh the most recent God of War is absolutely brilliant. The combat is excellent and while the story is good you don’t need to pay it too much attention.

I think the most recent GOW is decent, but the reviews a way over the top. Would personally give it a 7, don't think it deserves higher than 8. But since it's free on PS5, it's definitely worth a playthrough.

Oh yeah, I remember that one. Didn't find that too bad. Enjoying it so far?

Yeah, got a bit stressful because I hate "new" control schemes, especially when I'm shit at them. Started the jungle section and that is more fun than the space section so far.

Impressed by download speed of the machine though. Massively improved over the PS4.

I think the most recent GOW is decent, but the reviews a way over the top. Would personally give it a 7, don't think it deserves higher than 8. But since it's free on PS5, it's definitely worth a playthrough.
Nah it’s far better than a 7. Easily a 9 or 10/10. It’s a fantastic experience and I don’t think there’s many better games.

Nah it’s far better than a 7. Easily a 9 or 10/10. It’s a fantastic experience and I don’t think there’s many better games.

Guess it just goes to show difference in taste. IMO it suffered from generic combat and enemies, poor RPG elements, story was ok but nothing special. Level design was not special. Lack of boss fights. Seemed to be it scored high mainly because of production values. The only major highlight was
Baldur which made me think they should have at least have 2 more gods to fight in that game. Instead it seems they are keeping them for the sequels, but it made this one a much poorer game for it.

Guess it just goes to show difference in taste. IMO it suffered from generic combat and enemies, poor RPG elements, story was ok but nothing special. Level design was not special. Lack of boss fights. Seemed to be it scored high mainly because of production values. The only major highlight was
Baldur which made me think they should have at least have 2 more gods to fight in that game. Instead it seems they are keeping them for the sequels, but it made this one a much poorer game for it.
Think you are underrating the combat. It’s one of the most satisfying combat systems around. Throwing that axe just feels like it carries immense weight which is something I think many games can’t replicate.

You're wrong ;)

I feel as though I need to complete Valhalla because it is pretty to look at, and I paid for it, but Christ it's a chore.

Level design is fecking terrible. Can't go from a to b anywhere easily, not even 10 metres without some bullshit there.

Everything is a fecking maze or a puzzle and I mean everything, gets boring real quick.

The whole Asgard sub section, just why? Absolutely terrible.

It's actually too big, you feel like you're getting nowhere.

The parkour isn't even great, it's somehow got worse than the original games.

Absolute cretin of a game.

Think you are underrating the combat. It’s one of the most satisfying combat systems around. Throwing that axe just feels like it carries immense weight which is something I think many games can’t replicate.

Guess it just taste. From the PS4 era, I think DS3, Nioh & 2, Bloodborne and Sekiro all did it better. I just completed my 2nd playthrough of GOW on my PS5 today since its free and I thought I'd give it another go and felt very much the same way about it that I did the first time. It's not a bad game at all, I just find the review scores completely inflated. If they had thrown another 2 gods in there for you to fight, I think the game would have been much better. Baldur was awesome, but having him only as a nemesis made the game feel lacking.