Players Who Left United That We Could Do With Now

All the players who left now are mostly old or retired.

Only a few of them still might slightly improve the squad but don't bear too much hope. Eg McTom, Fred, Hannibal, Angel Gomes, Greenwood, Sancho, Zidane Iqbal, Elanga, AWB.
I think McTominay is the stand out one as he wasn't doing too bad in recent times. If we are talking about players still at their primes.

I actually forgot about Greenwood. Unfortunately he painted a very bad picture for himself. He could have been special.

Considering our left back issues, fernandez.

I also wanted welbeck back in the summer as a suitable cover for hojlund and fitted ten hags supposed tactics of pressing from the front, but instead we went a got a striker who isn't an actual striker and shows less enthusiasm to put a shift in than ronaldo.

I would have also kept fred, who was a good back up option and again fits ten hags tactics, I really can't understand why he would get rid of someone that actually fits his way of playing?

Honestly I would even have ronaldo at 39 back at this rate at how awful our striker options are and how bad we are misfiring as a side in general

I would take all of the following players who are currently still active straight back into the squad tomorrow if I could:

-Darmian
-Fred
-McSauce
-Mkhitaryan
-Pogba (In January)
-Welbeck

Considering our left back issues, fernandez.

I also wanted welbeck back in the summer as a suitable cover for hojlund and fitted ten hags supposed tactics of pressing from the front, but instead we went a got a striker who isn't an actual striker and shows less enthusiasm to put a shift in than ronaldo.

I would have also kept fred, who was a good back up option and again fits ten hags tactics, I really can't understand why he would get rid of someone that actually fits his way of playing?

Honestly I would even have ronaldo at 39 back at this rate at how awful our striker options are and how bad we are misfiring as a side in general

Pretty much this. Fernandez looked better than Malacia in all aspects of play. Considering that we had then -- and still have now -- no LBs it was daft decision of the highest order to get rid of him.

Fred was perfect for the kind of all action defending ETH professes to love. Getting rid of him made no sense either.

And it's fair to argue to argue that Hojlund and Zirkzee are significant downgrades from Ronaldo, one of the greatest footballers in the history of the game.

But ETH's ego is what it is, and even being mired in 14th place seems to have no impact in his approach to managing Manchester United.

Young Rooney. A one-man wrecking ball upfront. Zlatan as well would be nice.

Pretty much this. Fernandez looked better than Malacia in all aspects of play. Considering that we had then -- and still have now -- no LBs it was daft decision of the highest order to get rid of him.

Fred was perfect for the kind of all action defending ETH professes to love. Getting rid of him made no sense either.

And it's fair to argue to argue that Hojlund and Zirkzee are significant downgrades from Ronaldo, one of the greatest footballers in the history of the game.

But ETH's ego is what it is, and even being mired in 14th place seems to have no impact in his approach to managing Manchester United.
But, Fernandez wouldn't have developed I the same way had he stayed. Playing every week in a "lesser" league is better for his development than being 2nd choice left back in an under performing team.

As for Ronaldo. That version of him scored some great goals during 21/22 but the team was no better off.

The vast majority of players from the last 10 years being mentioned here wouldn't have made any difference to the current situation. There's a reason why very few (if any) of them went up a level after leaving United. None of them were good enough, hence why we didn't win the league.

The vast majority of players from the last 10 years being mentioned here wouldn't have made any difference to the current situation. There's a reason why very few (if any) of them went up a level after leaving United. None of them were good enough, hence why we didn't win the league.
Agreed.

There's a reason they left in the first place. They either simply weren't good enough, couldn't handle the pressure, too injury-prone or toxic elements.

Bringing them back wouldn't fix anything.

I do agree. I think the biggest thing for players at United failing to perform is their mentality. At a smaller club with less expectations, maybe they find it much easier to play well. It's a bummer but I think it's a valid point.

Bar maybe Zlatan and Angel Gomes, I would not bring back any other player who joined us after Fergie. They were all rubbish.

I don't think it's fair to say that as pretty much any player in the world right now would be a downgrade to a prime Ronaldo.

I would love to be a fly on the wall behind the scenes when the manager and the hierarchy are talking. Ten Hag does seem calm, whether it's ego or confidence for the future I'd love to know.

I agree Fred is missed. The guy ran and ran and ran. Exactly what Ten Hag needs. Getting rid of him was bizarre.

I don't think it's fair to say that as pretty much any player in the world right now would be a downgrade to a prime Ronaldo.

I would love to be a fly on the wall behind the scenes when the manager and the hierarchy are talking. Ten Hag does seem calm, whether it's ego or confidence for the future I'd love to know.

I agree Fred is missed. The guy ran and ran and ran. Exactly what Ten Hag needs. Getting rid of him was bizarre.

When Ugarte has had some games to settle, this is what he'll do so Fred is replaced by someon who isnt him in his 30s. Last season though we did miss him because his replacement in Amrabat was awful

When Ugarte has had some games to settle, this is what he'll do so Fred is replaced by someon who isnt him in his 30s. Last season though we did miss him because his replacement in Amrabat was awful
Amrabat started his first few games solid from what I can remember then it all went to shite. Hopefully Ugarte when settled will excel and could drive other players on too.

Amrabat started his first few games solid from what I can remember then it all went to shite. Hopefully Ugarte when settled will excel and could drive other players on too.

He filled in decently at leftback in one game we dominated so he didnt have to do much defending. He came inside into midfield from the leftback role and we had a decent performance.

But in terms of being a Fred replacement it wasnt just about whether he was good or bad, but also the differences between them. Fred is fast and full of energy, Amrabat was slow and didnt cover the ground so even if he had done well we probably would still have missed Fred because it was a bad replacement. Amrabat did win the ball a decent amount, unfortunately what he did with the ball was far too often poor - got caught on the ball or messed up easy passes. Things Fred did too but the point of selling him and getting someone else was to improve on it and he had been hyped up as being better at them and he was the same. I'd be tempted to say Fred's passing was actually a little better.

Anyway Ugarte should be more similar, but with better ball winning numbers and less speed than Fred. He should replace what Amrabat didnt.

Last edited:
He filled in decently at leftback in one game we dominated so he didnt have to do much defending. He came inside into midfield from the leftback roll and we had a decent performance.

But in terms of being a Fred replacement it wasnt just about whether he was good or bad, but also the differences between them. Fred is fast and full of energy, Amrabat was slow and didnt cover the ground so even if he had done well we probably would still have missed Fred because it was a bad replacement. Amrabat did win the ball a decent amount, unfortunately what he did with the ball was far too often poor - got caught on the ball or messed u[p easy passes. Things Fred did too but the point of selling him and getting someone else was to improve on it and he had been hyped up as being better at them and he was the same. I'd be tempted to say Fred's passing was actually a little better.

Anyway Ugarte should be more similar, but with better ball winning numbers and less speed than Fred. He should replace what Amrabat didnt.
I always though Fred's passing was underrated. It wasn't out of this world but overall Fred was for sure one of the better post Fergie signings.

Hopefully Ugarte will be a success. That area of midfield has been dire for far too long.

I never really understood why Zlatan left. He kept playing for a good few years afterwards.
Think it may have something to do with the type of injury he had. The medical team probably believed with his age, that his time at the highest level was over.

But there are major questions being asked about them as of late with the injuries constantly happening with players.

If we are talking of the quality of player at their peak? If so, I'd go for Schweinsteiger.

If it was the quality they showed at United, I'd have to go for either Rooney or Van Persie.

Most of the players we've moved on were terrible here, but honestly many of them are better than what we currently show.

Danny Welbz would be among our best 3 or 4 players currently, but of course that's just based on how he plays elsewhere (and don't get me wrong, this is very average) but back here he'd turn to garbage under Ten Hag in no time.

Not the Ronaldo of his last season here. I think people forget just how truly awful he was that season. I'd definitely take Hojlund ahead of that version of Ronaldo, and hopefully Zirkzee as well as long as we see more of his good games (which he has had 2 or 3) rather than the bad games he's had the rest of the time so far.

Even in Ronaldo's first season (21/22) he had a 2-3 month period where he was very poor, so the signs were there that he was on the edge of not hacking it at the top level anymore.

Not the Ronaldo of his last season here. I think people forget just how truly awful he was that season. I'd definitely take Hojlund ahead of that version of Ronaldo, and hopefully Zirkzee as well as long as we see more of his good games (which he has had 2 or 3) rather than the bad games he's had the rest of the time so far.

Even in Ronaldo's first season (21/22) he had a 2-3 month period where he was very poor, so the signs were there that he was on the edge of not hacking it at the top level anymore.

Ronaldo without question brought drama the club didn’t need, but as a pure striker to this very day, Hojlund and Zirkzee are nowhere near the level of Ronaldo.

Give me Fellaini for $200 Alex.

As much as I want goal scoring to improve, I don't think adding Rooney or RVP would help much without improving service to them. At least with Fellaini we get some LOLz

When we're 14th and have more defeats than victories you could argue almost any player that left would be useful. They're likely doing better than we are at the moment, and some of them are doing better than our 8th placed finished last season too so not just a 7 game thing

When we're 14th and have more defeats than victories you could argue almost any player that left would be useful. They're likely doing better than we are at the moment, and some of them are doing better than our 8th placed finished last season too so not just a 7 game thing
Most players than have left United the last 10 years have done better. That could be down to less pressure and less expectations and that helps improve their performance as their more calm.

Alvaro Fernandez to play left back, and not have to shoe horn someone in there.
Fred, for his energy. Casemiro was a different player two years ago when he had Fred with him.
Angel Gomes to play no. 10. An upgrade on Bruno Fernandes in that role.
Danny Welbeck as a striking option.

Goal scores in the main are the ones you miss the most.
Hughes went but we got him back, then went to Chelsea and had few excellent years there . He's one. Another plays in France .