Players Who Left United That We Could Do With Now

Garnacho Libre

I'm on about any player that was sold or released from the period Fergie left up until the present. It includes players that were signed by Fergie. It can include a player that is now retired as long as it's between Fergie retirement period to present.

Which player do you think would be needed and could make a huge difference if they were in the team now?

I am going to go with Zlatan. His presence and leadership alone would be massively beneficial. A good captain, too, whom commands respect. Unfortunately his knee injury ended his time at United but I think he would be the best player and personality to have back in the team now.

When you think about the best signings / players that have come to United post fergie, the list really is terrible.

Zlatan is probably the best that is no longer in this squad. Second may be Fred!

Clearly it's a goal scorer we need the most

Surely you go for Rooney or Van Persie over Zlatan though

I'm on about any player that was sold or released from the period Fergie left up until the present. It includes players that were signed by Fergie. It can include a player that is now retired as long as it's between Fergie retirement period to present.

Which player do you think would be needed and could make a huge difference if they were in the team now?

I am going to go with Zlatan. His presence and leadership alone would be massively beneficial. A good captain, too, whom commands respect. Unfortunately his knee injury ended his time at United but I think he would be the best player and personality to have back in the team now.
Rio, Vidic, Evra, Fletcher ,Giggs.

Yeah I'm probably going with our all time top scorer and just legend in general Rooney. How could anyone pick anyone else? Amazing player for about 12 years for us.

There are only two players in recent memory that could make a significant difference to a team on their own and that's peak Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi. Everybody else need a setup to optimize their qualities to various degrees obviously. But when it comes to making the different from good/average to challenging, I think it's only those two.

When you think about the best signings / players that have come to United post fergie, the list really is terrible.

Zlatan is probably the best that is no longer in this squad. Second may be Fred!
I liked Fred. Like many of the post Fergie signings, a lot have been hot and cold and that's probably down to having countless different managers and styles of play.
Yeah I'm probably going with our all time top scorer and just legend in general Rooney. How could anyone pick anyone else? Amazing player for about 12 years for us.
That would be a dream. Rooney gets plenty of credit but probably underrated because he was that good!

I see a couple posters saying Carrick, 100% agree he could be a difference maker in this current team. Would add calmness certainly along with maturity.

If we are also mentioning players that retired after Fergie that we could bring back in their prime, I'd go with Rooney, Carrick, Rio and Vidic.

The answer is obviously guys like Rooney, CR7, Van Persie etc. All your Carricks, Matics and Rios won't really elevate the side that much. They'll be exposed by the suicidal tactics the same way Casemiro is.

07/08 CR7 - just build the whole side to get him the ball and let him do the rest. RvP and co to a lesser extent.

Zlatan - We need a big feck off bastard up front that will man handle these PL defenders

Carrick - Control and reading of the midfield

Park Ji-Sung - Never stops running when that 3rd lung kicks in at 4500rpm

For me it's got to be Luke Shaw.

He seemed to leave the club at some point last season, not sure what happened to him since.

I read the OP as transfered out so Carrick doesn't fit. Rooney, Van Persie or Zlatan would all be great.

If we're going hypothetical given how they have done since they left Smalling is probably the biggest success I think?

Players still playing today and in their current form is tougher. It might be Welbeck :lol:

Alexis Sanchez.
Imagine the duo with Antony. Sanchez RW - Antony RB. I could do with more LAUGHS.

Van Persie would do nicely.
Maybe a controversial take but we had the best out of Van Persie in fair weather conditions. He was motivated and in a well greased team.

The following season with the adversity of Moyes he pretty much downed tools and was half the player when Van Gaal came in.

Had Ferguson stayed for two more years I think Van Persie would be pushing 100 goals for us.

Maybe a controversial take but we had the best out of Van Persie in fair weather conditions. He was motivated and in a well greased team.

The following season with the adversity of Moyes he pretty much downed tools and was half the player when Van Gaal came in.

Had Ferguson stayed for two more years I think Van Persie would be pushing 100 goals for us.
Which highlights the importence of manager. Talents can go to waste under crap management.

This is going to be unpopular but I'm going to say De Gea.

Many will say Onana is an all rounded player but imo - De Gea was the main reason we were a top 4 club most of the time.

Even if our defence was crap he would ultimately just block the shot with his hands or feet. He couldn't pass, he couldn't manage his box but the guy was like two extra players on the goal line.

Unreal saves & I believed he saved alot of our seasons to gaining top 4 when everything was "not right".

We sold him because we wanted to progress as a team but unfortunately we haven't & most probably have regressed instead. This team would need De Gea to pick the dirt out of the mud.

Last edited:
This is going to be unpopular but I'm going to say De Gea.

Many will say Onana is an all rounded player but imo - De Gea was the main reason we were a top 4 club most of the time.

Even if our defence was crap he would ultimately just block the shot with his hands or feet. He couldn't pass, he couldn't manage his box but the guy was like two extra players on the goal line.

Unreal saves & I believed he saved alot of our seasons to gaining top 4 when everything was "not right".

We sold him because we wanted to progress as a team but unfortunately we haven't & most probably have regressed instead. This team would need De Gea to pick the dirt out of the mud.
Peak De Gea, absolutely. He was 3 or 4 years past that when he left.

Also, De Gea for me was a keeper that absolutely loved being in front of a shaky defence. Pure shot stopper.

That’s great to get a team that might be 7-10th up into the top four slots but it’s not so good for a team that wants to consistently challenge for the league and dominate play.

I actually think Onana is the opposite of that. Really not a good keeper to have behind a shaky defence but give him a rock solid defence and he will bring a lot more to the table.

I thought this would be about still active players. Bit boring when you can just pick RVP or Rooney.

Joe Hugill.
He should get a chance.

We need a proven ready made striker. It's hard to imagine that it's acceptable now that United's main strikers are unproven kids.

A club like United should have the finished article.

Assuming peak performance level, it has to be Ronaldo. He was a scorer and a creator without peer.

By far the biggest hole we have in the squad is a striker. Hojlund and Zirkzee are nowhere near the level we expect of a striker, whereas we can get by with what we have at most other positions (except that we have no LB) and have even started to put in decent performances defensively this season. But we couldn't, as they saying goes, finish our dinner plate...or score in a brothel. Bring us a finisher, whether prime Ronaldo, Rooney or RVP, and we have a squad at least in the hunt for a top four finish.

Honestly, we could probably just make this about players in recent years (ie. players still playing.) I wouldn't say no to Fred, Alvaro Fernandez (I've never watched him but apparently playing well and we have a huge need), Angel Gomes, Sancho (I can't stand him but I suspect he'd be more effective than Rashford and Garnacho, or at least a viable alternative), Ronaldo (again not a fan of him personally, but he at least knows how to put the ball in the back of the net), and Lukaku (see Ronaldo comment.)

All the players who left now are mostly old or retired.

Only a few of them still might slightly improve the squad but don't bear too much hope. Eg McTom, Fred, Hannibal, Angel Gomes, Greenwood, Sancho, Zidane Iqbal, Elanga, AWB.