Players 'close' to going on strikes - Rodri

That's true but as others have mentioned this only applies to maybe two handful of clubs and it's a direct cause of FFP and the concentration of talent among the same teams who end up finalists of every tournaments on the or planet. If talents were spread out. Teams would be more likely to play 50-55 games most seasons. But today two handful of top CL and EL teams are almost guaranteed to go far in all competitions every seasons.
Fair point, but it's it's hard weaning fans off just watching that top 2% of clubs though.

Yes they should run their bodies into the ground and suffer long term issues, well, because they get paid
No, they don't need to. As best in the business, they literally can choose any club in the world to play for. So, Rodri is free to sign for Brentford, Kdb for Werder, Alisson for Cadiz etc....problem solved.

Working for best company (and meeting with highest demands and getting best benefits) is a choice.

The money fairy obviously.
So, if you cut tours what happens? Club will earn less and will need to reduce salaries. I read about this moaning for years but i never read that one of those moaners said anything about reduction of their salaries.

People are using games played as a metric when you would need to look at distance covered and sprint intensity to examine how hard players are working.

We all know players are expected to cover a lot more ground now than 20 years ago. Pressing systems means every player is working much harder.

Reactions: Fortitude
So, if you cut tours what happens? Club will earn less and will need to reduce salaries. I read about this moaning for years but i never read that one of those moaners said anything about reduction of their salaries.
I think there are too many games but agree that the players can't have their cake and eat it. They know what they are signing up for when they sign for massive wages.

Has there ever been an example of such high paid individuals going on strike?

I think there are too many games but agree that the players can't have their cake and eat it. They know what they are signing up for when they sign for massive wages.

Has there ever been an example of such high paid individuals going on strike?
NHL, NFL and NBA. But it was because players wanted more money:lol:.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/cx2llgw4v7nt

What do we think of this then?

Personally I agree.

I understand the counterpoint which is that managers should utilise a squad with the resources available to them instead of overworking a starting 11 but the counter to that is that they obviously want to win and you do so with your best players on the pitch.
Agree too. They should.

The peanut brained crowd that just cites “oh you’re getting paid to play football mate stop complaining” is also the crowd that will bitch non stop about their teams playing shit football and having an injury crisis because these internationals are playing 70+ 90 minute games a year with high intensity.

It’s fecking absurd they have International qualifiers 3 weeks into a new season right after a Euros summer.

No, they don't need to. As best in the business, they literally can choose any club in the world to play for. So, Rodri is free to sign for Brentford, Kdb for Werder, Alisson for Cadiz etc....problem solved.

Working for best company (and meeting with highest demands and getting best benefits) is a choice.
Yes they can also choose what country they come from and choose not to play for their country…. Right ok

Yes they can also choose what country they come from and choose not to play for their country…. Right ok
They choose to play at the elite level for the most money/pressue/games. I have limited sympathy in that regard but I think the quality of football probably does suffer as a result.

Club revenues are not significantly covered by tours by the way.

They choose to play at the elite level for the most money/pressue/games. I have limited sympathy in that regard but I think the quality of football probably does suffer as a result.

Elite level does not equal unrealistic number of games in a season and we are clearly reaching the limit. The sport has a duty of care to protect its assets, no amount of money paid is enough to jepodise someones health, thats just stupid.

If those millionaires are able to organize a general strike before we nurses can, I'll quit. I'll become an undertaker or a crime scene cleaner or anything else that is a little bit more life-affirming.

Club revenues are not significantly covered by tours by the way.
You think that they go on tour because cash they get? Why do you think big clubs go in USA or China? To promote club on new market which leads to new sponsors, bigger shirt sale etc....

You think that they go on tour because cash they get? Why do you think big clubs go in USA or China? To promote club on new market which leads to new sponsors, bigger shirt sale etc....
Did I say they don’t get cash? Or did I say its not a significant part of their revenue?

Can’t imagine any fan having the instinct to fight back against players on this regard. Multiple players have come out and said that football matches are being played at 60-70% capacity due to the over scheduling, and the drop in quality is plain to see.

They are not going past physical limits mate. I believe that's a bit of an exaggeration.
We don’t know that yet because we haven’t even got to the 80+ games a season thats coming up (and the obvious pending increase in internationals).

Players are warning about the changes which have just come in and are coming.

We don’t know that yet because we haven’t even got to the 80+ games a season thats coming up (and the obvious pending increase in internationals).

Players are warning about the changes which have just come in and are coming.
I just feel like what do they expect though? It's just part of elite sport to be on that fine line of intensity. Look at other sports like tennis, NBA, etc

I think it does have significant impact on revenue.
Well, lets say it is something which you must do when you are a big club.

Maybe have a look at the numbers. Its not as significant as you think. The main aim is to shill the league so the league can up the price of tv rights for international buyers.

I just feel like what do they expect though? It's just part of elite sport to be on that fine line of intensity. Look at other sports like tennis, NBA, etc
Yes and there is a limit, Im not sure what you do not understand. Tennis (most players skip alot of the year btw) and time their tournaments for run up to the big ones

NBA schedule has alot of star players injured and missing play off games too. NBA off season is also alot longer than PL one and the season is also shorter. Also if you follow NBA you will know that ‘load management’ is now a significant thing

Last edited:
I agree with players and also think that top clubs don't actually have an excuse since they are currently stockpiling talents and don't actually use their entire squads. But yeah, if I was a club executive I would reduce my wage offers by a third if you impose a game limit that sees you potentially play 1/3 less.

And that itself is really bad for football.

Can’t imagine any fan having the instinct to fight back against players on this regard. Multiple players have come out and said that football matches are being played at 60-70% capacity due to the over scheduling, and the drop in quality is plain to see.
Well, i am pretty shocked how many fans (at least here) are on players side about this.

Yes and there is a limit, Im not sure what you do not understand. Tennis (most players skip alot of the year btw) and time their tournaments for run up to the big ones
No, I do understand completely.

No one if forcing Rodri to play in the most physically demanding league that there is in football for one of the most demanding managers. He could quite easily go to a less intense leaague like Spain or Italy or ask his manager not to play as much if he was that concerned.

He chooses to play in England because of the money and the elite competition. That's just how it is at the top, top level. It's incredibly testing because it's the pinnacle of the sport. It's not meant to be easy.

Would you be prepared to play the amount of games if someone gave you 300k a week? It's a privilege that they have the talent that they do and are able to use it to compete at the highest level and get rewarded incredibly well for it.

And that itself is really bad for football.

It's bad for Football and for players. But the propaganda worked and people have spent the better part of 2 decades promoting that nonsense.

Force clubs to rotate by allowing players only 35 games a season. Would be kind of fun in my opinion.

On the other hand, it would make the gap between the haves and have-nots even bigger.

No, I do understand completely.

No one if forcing Rodri to play in the most physically demanding league that there is in football for one of the most demanding managers. He could quite easily go to a less intense leaague like Spain or Italy or ask his manager not to play as much if he was that concerned.

He chooses to play in England because of the money and the elite competition. That's just how it is at the top, top level. It's incredibly testing because it's the pinnacle of the sport. It's not meant to be easy.

Would you be prepared to play the amount of games if someone gave you 300k a week? It's a privilege that they have the talent that they do and are able to use it to compete at the highest level and get rewarded incredibly well for it.
Number 1 he came to City before the changes and has a contract. He has a right just like many players to question the league (and football bodies because this extends way beyond club football). Also its irrelavent because its not about the PL, its all the top leagues and european competitions and internationals.

Yes he can leave and so can all the top players and we can have a sub standard sport…

Or the people making decisions can actually listen to players and do things sensibly.

The physical limits are clearly not being considered by decision makers. You are acting as if its only Rodri more or less every top player and managers included have been saying this now and we already know we are getting sub standard quality because of it

You are speaking like those who think graduates who work for IBs should not have a working hours per week cap because they get paid well.

Number 1 he came to City before the changes and has a contract. He has a right just like many players to question the league (and football bodies because this extends way beyond club football)

Yes he can leave and so can all the top players and we can have a sub standard sport…

Or the people making decisions can actually listen to players and do things sensibly.

The physical limits are clearly not being considered by decision makers. You are acting as if its only Rodri more or less every top player and managers included have been saying this now
He is free to declare himself not fit to play at any time.

There is a set apperance limit internationally for every player, they're not allowed to play any more than the limit

This way clubs will be forced to manage players better, they will play less, resolving the problem.
That will help countries with a bigger pool of players but put pressure on the smaller countries I think

Do away with those pointless international friendlies and stop introducing more international crap

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/cx2llgw4v7nt

What do we think of this then?

Personally I agree.

I understand the counterpoint which is that managers should utilise a squad with the resources available to them instead of overworking a starting 11 but the counter to that is that they obviously want to win and you do so with your best players on the pitch.
I agree that they play to much. I also agree that they get to much money. Would players accept earning 25% of their wages for 20-30 less games per season? Just for example.

International appearance cap. Problem solved.
Step 1.

M
In Man City's last game, their bench cost more than £300 million. Rotate.

Pep is always making a virtue of having a ‘small’ squad as easier to manage. Maybe he should use his 5 subs in most games and rotate as Fergie did to maintain the freshness of his players.

There would be lots of ‘scabs’ ie players not joining strikes to get first team football or signing contracts which forbade strike action given rewards involved.

Can’t see Rodri on the picket line in December.