Play-Off Final Watford vs Crystal Palace

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's not that ridiculous. He could do a lot better than Palace though. If he's not in Moyes immediate plans then someone like West Brom (or Everton?!?) would be great for him.
£20 million and Zaha on loan for the season would be a good deal for us regarding Fellaini. :angel:

mufcwarm92

When was the last time the three promoted teams all went straight back down the following year? think we could see that happen next year unless they all improve considerably, this is shocking.
People say it every year and it literally never happens.
Was about to post the completely identical reply. Promoted teams often look a bit dodgy, even after transfers have been made, but one or two usually find a way to stay up.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think this is a year when the teams being promoted are relatively poor compared to teams already in the PL. Last year West Ham came up and were never going to be relegated. I expected Southampton to go down with Reading too but they made a smart managerial move which probably saved them.

Cardiff are the only team that impress me from the teams coming up and they could find it hard but i read they were spending quite a bit so on the other hand they could be alright.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
How many times have the playoff winners stayed up vs going right back down? It's such a unique situation that the club doesn't know what they're going to do until the final whistle. Obviously preparing for the premiership is very different from preparing for another year in the championship.

mufcwarm92

Don't think many people gave Swansea or Norwich a prayer a couple of years back, likewise Stoke when they came up. Sometimes it just clicks.

vanthaman

Winner
They are banned from making transfers due to financial dodgyness until 31/8 (which is the date the summer window closes).
31st is a Saturday so the window will likely be extended till 2nd September, although not sure what they will do for the first month of the season

starman

Eh? Watford are not allowed to sign anyone until the winter transfer window. If they went up they'd have a playing staff of about 14.
Theres no proper clarification for the ban. They are apparently allowed to make the loanees permanent and i very doubt the PL would have allowed them to go in the season with 14 players...they would have likely just paid a fine.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Theres no proper clarification for ban. They are apparently allowed to make the loanees permanent and i very doubt the PL would have allowed them to go in the season with 14 players...they would have likely just paid a fine.
Eh?

There is a clarification for the ban, that's the problem. No signings until after the Summer transfer window.

So either, as you say Watford come up with some sort of deal to pay a bigger fine for a reduced ban (unlikely) or they will be allowed emergency loans once the season starts.

Daily Mail BBC

The Premier League might not want an uncompetitive team, but thats exactly what Watford will be.

RK

"Under the terms of the embargo, Watford can still sign players with prior permission from league officials." Surely that's quite an important part?

starman

Eh?

There is a clarification for the ban, that's the problem. No signings until after the Summer transfer window.

So either, as you say Watford come up with some sort of deal to pay a bigger fine for a reduced ban (unlikely) or they will be allowed emergency loans once the season starts.

Daily Mail BBC

The Premier League might not want an uncompetitive team, but thats exactly what Watford will be.
"Under the terms of the embargo, Watford can still sign players with prior permission from league officials."

I don't remember where i have read or maybe heard it in a interview, but they are allowed to make the loanees permanent.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
"Under the terms of the embargo, Watford can still sign players with prior permission from league officials."

I don't remember where i have read or maybe heard it in a interview, but they are allowed to make the loanees permanent.
Last I heard that was a maybe. A hypothetical "well perhaps you should let us do this" type thing.

But yeah that "prior permission" is probably important.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
How many times have the playoff winners stayed up vs going right back down? It's such a unique situation that the club doesn't know what they're going to do until the final whistle. Obviously preparing for the premiership is very different from preparing for another year in the championship.
Ill answer that for you mate...

Out of the 21 playoff winners only 9 have survived, 12 went right back down again.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Was a trophy and medals for the third placed winner necessary?

What if Wenger demands medals and a trophy for his top 4 finishes? Arsenal celebrated it like they won something.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Was a trophy and medals for the third placed winner necessary?

What if Wenger demands medals and a trophy for his top 4 finishes? Arsenal celebrated it like they won something.
It's a Wembley final with a game arguably more important now than the FA cup final so yeah I think its worthy of a reasonably low key trophy presentation.

Also, it's not a trophy for 3rd place in the championship because the team that wins it likely didn't come third. It's a trophy for winning the play-off's in their own right.