Pep Guardiola tipped to take over England

I could see this happening. The FA agrees a deal for him to join at the end of the season, the deal will be signed before the verdict of City's charges, and the British press will subsequently control the narrative of him being merely a coach who had no knowledge of what was going on behind the scenes.

One positive that can be taken from this, is that it's sounding less and less likely that he will renew his contract with Abu Dhabi and will finally feck off at the end of this season.

Doesn’t strike me as a tournament manager at all. Seems like a coach that needs an intense amount of time to work with players to get them used to his system. I can’t imagine the implementation of “Pep-ball” would be easy with a national team; but perhaps he is more flexible than I give him credit for.

Would be a huge name and a huge coup for England, but I question his suitability for international management; outside of the Spanish national team, where the general style of play isn’t a million miles away from his default approach. Would be an interesting appointment.

I generally figure that given the short amount of time managers have to work with players, that more defensively orientated, pragmatic coaches are best suited to international management and tournament environments. I think this is largely borne out by results, although Spain did win the Euros with a reasonably expansive style - although nothing compared to expansive on a club level.

I also imagine that a top NT gig, for a manager looking for a better quality of life balance, while still pulling down a gargantuan salary, a major national team job is the holy grail of appointments.
This reads like all of the conditions that would inspire him to prove people wrong.

My immediate reaction is I don't see him going to international football just yet. But when you think about it, where is he realistically going to next?
  • Been at City for a long time now and he can walk away from having to manage in the championship and easily attribute it to how long he's been there and how he's won every trophy with City.
  • He's not going to manage RM. Would Barca be interesting for him again? Either way, Flick is doing well there
  • PSG is a bit of a weird one. Essentially he'll be there to win the CL, which with it being a cup competition, might mean years of trying while having to manage in a less competitive league. I don't think that job would be very appealing to him
  • Italy? Where you need to work with lower budgets, older players or unfinished products, and creative loan strategies? Don't see it

Unless he goes back to Bayern, it has to be a NT or a PL team I think. Who are the PL options realistically who can spend the money he'd want to spend and deal with psr?
-Guardiola will not manage another english club, so the national team of England is his only option here after City.
-In Spain his only option is.. Girona (his brother is the CEO of the club)
-not a chance to coach PSG
-Italy is a option for him but as he said that would come later in his career (may be in 10 years).
-return to Bayern is very unlikely

Betraying Spain for better squad and possibly money. Typical baldiola. Thinks he is british just because he listens to Oasis

HAha

I’m not really interested in defending Pep, but I doubt he has had much interest or influence in how Man City sort their finances. It had been going on long before he got there also.
Do you really think a forensic examination of Pep's pay would come up clean?
as a nation that has never done anything questionable in our history, i would be hesitant in employing someone with such a chequered past.
When you put it like that...

Why would he do this?
Why wouldn't he do this? he'll probably have the biggest chance to win big trophies with England NT than any other and being a national team manager will add to his credentials. The talents are plentiful and top class. He will get knighted when he win. And a chance to save his face should the charges stick.

Why wouldn't he do this? he'll probably have the biggest chance to win big trophies with England NT than any other and being a national team manager will add to his credentials. The talents are plentiful and top class. He will get knighted when he win. And a chance to save his face should the charges stick.
I honestly don't think he would do this. But I'd be all for it if it would finally get him away from City.

Has Spain got a long term manager?

Anyway Guardiola is obviously going to PSG.

It will be the next step from Man City the same way PSG bought Messi thinking it would guarantee them a CL title.

It will be the next step from Man City the same way PSG bought Messi thinking it would guarantee them a CL title.
I heard something about him wanting to try his hand at a NT, but probably avoiding Spain because of Catalonia issues?

Idk if that’s true or not, but he was a Barca guy, so I could see it.

The England team just makes a ton of sense. Win a World Cup for England and he’d be immortal. It’s like a professional car wash, and the team has the quality for him to do it.

I think Pep is very pro-Catalan. He won't even entertain the idea of managing Spain IMO

After what he's done to this country with City, it's only fair that he wins us a world cup.

He’ll make Carsley’s Greek experiment look tame by comparison. His ego will want to invent something more drastic than Trent out of position, or 4 attacking mids no striker.

He'd never take it as he'd be forced to compete on a level playing field, rather than having his usual huge unfair advantage over everyone else that he needs to succeed.
He'd probably find a way to get the best Spanish and Brazilian players into our squad.

Literally the best manager England could appoint.

Won’t happen.
Yep. he is Catalan rather than Spanish, and as Catalonia doesn't have a team he won't have too many loyalty issues there. Can't see him wanting the grief that always comes with the England job but he might relish the challenge

Not having the players to work with week in, week out I'd question whether he'd manage to get them drilled in the same way he does his club sides. Would be a huge coup though.

Yep. he is Catalan rather than Spanish, and as Catalonia doesn't have a team he won't have too many loyalty issues there. Can't see him wanting the grief that always comes with the England job but he might relish the challenge
I’m aware of his situation I just think he’ll be too expensive.

I’m aware of his situation I just think he’ll be too expensive.
He's probably beyond the dosh level now. Comes across as quite an intelligent fellow ( he speaks two languages, maybe more, so in my book that shows intelligence), and I imagine the millions he's earned at his previous clubs and current clubs means salary would be secondary in any role he takes in the future. I still think he'd rather go home or head to Italy to live and manage in one of the great cities out there, than have the grief of being our national manager. Whatever role he does take, he will of course have a massive salary and he isn't going to turn down said salary, but I don't think that's the be all and end all - if it was he'll be going to Saudi.

Reactions: BenitoSTARR
Makes sense. England has probably the best team I’ve ever seen them have and they looked primed to win titles now - just need a decent manager to get them over the line. It’s the sort of job Pep loves as hell have better players / unit than nearly every opponent.

Plus being England manager will protect him from being burnt by being part of the fraudulent club.

Do you really think a forensic examination of Pep's pay would come up clean?

When you put it like that...
No but the organisation would be the one at fault for structuring his pay that way, not Pep. Either way, I can’t see him managing England so I don’t think it’s much to worry about.

He wouldn't be good as an international coach, he needs to be able to coach his team week in week out to get them to play his style.

He also needs a certain criteria of player and you have to use what is at your disposal at international level, you can't just go out and sign a player that better fits his tactics.

He also can't spend a gazillion quid on players for England or Spain.

Tuchel for 18 months. Gives Ped Guardiola a 12 month hiatus after this season, and he takes over summer 2026 when we're reigning World Champions.