Pep Guardiola tipped to take over England

Honestly, I think the only chance is if it goes tits up at city with the charges and punishment. In that case I think he skulks off out of England with his tail between his legs.

Was Tuchel yesterday.

When do the WC qualifiers start? March? Can see the FA wanting someone in charge from the start.

Pep likes the luxuries of a great squad and England can definitely offer him that. It’s the opportunity for a trophy he hasn’t yet won

It would be the perfect way for him to get away with his City cheating. City are found guilty and relegated to the conference and he skips over to the national team and the media continue their love in with him

It would be the perfect way for him to get away with his City cheating. City are found guilty and relegated to the conference and he skips over to the national team and the media continue their love in with him
As if he would be accepted by England fans if that happens

New contract fishing

But it would make watching England in the major tournaments a bit more… interesting isn’t the word because his football is boring as feck… but hopeful

If that tweet is true, I worry about the case against City because there's no way he can sidle into the numero uno job for the nation after being knee deep in the scandal at City, and there's no way to extricate him from it without some absolute BS narrative you'd have to have half a brain to believe.

New contract fishing

But it would make watching England in the major tournaments a bit more… interesting isn’t the word because his football is boring as feck… but hopeful

His contract is up at the end of the season and his buddy Bergistrani is leaving City then too.

It could happen. WC qualifiers start before then, surely the FA would want someone in place from the start. He could double job it for a few months or he could quit City and try to save face before any punishment is dealt out.

Either way this would probably make England even more boring to watch than they were under Southgate.

He'd never take it as he'd be forced to compete on a level playing field, rather than having his usual huge unfair advantage over everyone else that he needs to succeed.

My immediate reaction is I don't see him going to international football just yet. But when you think about it, where is he realistically going to next?
  • Been at City for a long time now and he can walk away from having to manage in the championship and easily attribute it to how long he's been there and how he's won every trophy with City.
  • He's not going to manage RM. Would Barca be interesting for him again? Either way, Flick is doing well there
  • PSG is a bit of a weird one. Essentially he'll be there to win the CL, which with it being a cup competition, might mean years of trying while having to manage in a less competitive league. I don't think that job would be very appealing to him
  • Italy? Where you need to work with lower budgets, older players or unfinished products, and creative loan strategies? Don't see it

Unless he goes back to Bayern, it has to be a NT or a PL team I think. Who are the PL options realistically who can spend the money he'd want to spend and deal with psr?

His contract is up at the end of the season and his buddy Bergistrani is leaving City then too.

It could happen. WC qualifiers start before then, surely the FA would want someone in place from the start. He could double job it for a few months or he could quit City and try to save face before any punishment is dealt out.

Either way this would probably make England even more boring to watch than they were under Southgate.
While true, I have no doubt they would accept this as an exception if they could get Pep.

Pep from June or Potter from March isn't a difficult choice to make.

If the choice is Tuchel or Pep then that becomes more tricky. While Tuchel is obviously not at the level of Pep, he's a top manager and probably has a simpler style of football that could be suited better for international tournaments.

If that tweet is true, I worry about the case against City because there's no way he can sidle into the numero uno job for the nation after being knee deep in the scandal at City, and there's no way to extricate him from it without some absolute BS narrative you'd have to have half a brain to believe.
I’m not really interested in defending Pep, but I doubt he has had much interest or influence in how Man City sort their finances. It had been going on long before he got there also.

as a nation that has never done anything questionable in our history, i would be hesitant in employing someone with such a chequered past.

He'd never take it as he'd be forced to compete on a level playing field, rather than having his usual huge unfair advantage over everyone else that he needs to succeed.
That's how I see it too. Don't think he's proved he can do that yet.

Surely this would prove the fa have no morals. But I guess we already know that.

Doesn’t strike me as a tournament manager at all. Seems like a coach that needs an intense amount of time to work with players to get them used to his system. I can’t imagine the implementation of “Pep-ball” would be easy with a national team; but perhaps he is more flexible than I give him credit for.

Would be a huge name and a huge coup for England, but I question his suitability for international management; outside of the Spanish national team, where the general style of play isn’t a million miles away from his default approach. Would be an interesting appointment.

I generally figure that given the short amount of time managers have to work with players, that more defensively orientated, pragmatic coaches are best suited to international management and tournament environments. I think this is largely borne out by results, although Spain did win the Euros with a reasonably expansive style - although nothing compared to expansive on a club level.

I also imagine that a top NT gig, for a manager looking for a better quality of life balance, while still pulling down a gargantuan salary, a major national team job is the holy grail of appointments.

Doesn’t strike me as a tournament manager at all. Seems like a coach that needs an intense amount of time to work with players to get them used to his system. I can’t imagine the implementation of “Pep-ball” would be easy with a national team; but perhaps he is more flexible than I give him credit for.

Would be a huge name and a huge coup for England, but I question his suitability for international management; outside of the Spanish national team, where the general style of play isn’t a million miles away from his default approach. Would be an interesting appointment.

I generally figure that given the short amount of time managers have to work with players, that more defensively orientated, pragmatic coaches are best suited to international management and tournament environments. I think this is largely borne out by results, although Spain did win the Euros with a reasonably expansive style - although nothing compared to expansive on a club level.

I also imagine that a top NT gig, for a manager looking for a better quality of life balance, while still pulling down a gargantuan salary, a major national team job is the holy grail of appointments.
The duality of man.

Would honestly hate this. Seems like such a PR move to try and improve a career that is soiled by cheating allegations.

Let’s be honest, international football is pretty much 4-5 teams (of which England are one) who hope to avoid each other as long as possible and then hopefully you just get a tough final. If we hire someone who has simply been successful (it doesn’t have to be pep or Klopp etc) and isn’t a dinosaur/can’t speak English we will be competitive and have a good chance.