Our new upper management structure

IrishRedDevil

Is that everyone in place now?

Andy O Boyle isn't a new recruit, as he has been around since May 2022, but listing him here for completeness.

CEO: Omar Berrada

Sporting Director: Dan Ashworth

Technical Director: Jason Wilcox

Director of Recruitment: Christopher Vivell.

Sports Coordinator / Deputy DOF: Andy O'Boyle

Where does Darren Fletcher fit in?

This is, perhaps, more exciting than new players.

It'll take 2-3 seasons to get to fruition but after 10 years of seeking the new Messiah this structure seems much more the solution to get us where we rightfully belong

I already feel more comfortable knowing that even if they're not perfect, they're a million times more capable than those who came before them.

Do we know what Vivell’s role is going to be, he’s also not permanent is he?

I already feel more comfortable knowing that even if they're not perfect, they're a million times more capable than those who came before them.
Absolutely.

Can't chalk our misfortunes to poor management structure anymore. That's as good as it gets.

Can't chalk our misfortunes to poor management structure anymore. That's as good as it gets.

They'll probably need some time to settle. In terms of how quickly you can expect changes:

New players > New manager > New club leadership

But what about the likes on Instagram and the clicks and the T-shirt sales and the cool new thing, and the corporate suite, and the prawn sandwiches, and the fake sponsors, and everything?

This. Exactly right. Obviously they will make the odd mistake, but as long as the good far out way the bad then it’s fine

Is that a synonym for something else? :-)
In case you seriously ask: Woodward worked as an investment banker before he came to United.
Where does Darren Fletcher fit in?
Assisting Wilcox in a way. While Wilcox is responsible for ensuring a similar style is played through the club teams etc (so more or less working with the coaches) Fletcher focuses on individual (young) players and support and manage their transition from team to team

Assisting Wilcox in a way. While Wilcox is responsible for ensuring a similar style is played through the club teams etc (so more or less working with the coaches) Fletcher focuses on individual (young) players and support and manage their transition from team to team

Do we know what style this is? Or likely to be?

Its funny, a lot of people couldn't believe that ETH was given almost full control over player purchases, but why would any respectable manager agree to come into the previous "structure" without that as a condition?

It'll be interesting to see how this new structure affects our ability to synthesise the right blend of squad, staff and facilities over the next 1-5 years.

Honestly, if we're back to regular top 2-3, have a 70 percent plus functioning team and are no longer the theater of where dreams go to die in 2-3 years I'd be delighted...

I’m assuming Ashworth will change up personnel across the football structure too. And hopefully O’Driscoll massively revamps the medical department. We need to improve our injury record and overall fitness & conditioning.

Hopefully this means a stop to all the Ratcliffe wants this player or Ratcliffe wants that one. Leave it to the football men.

It’ll be interesting to see whether the likes of O’Boyle, Hargreaves etc will be kept on. One would assume Nick Cox and the key youth personnel would be safe. Our scouts are meant to be decent but I’d guess Vivell (or whoever comes in long term in that role) might do an overhaul. We’ve traditionally been really poor on the negotiating side. Hopefully we have the right people in already to see big improvements in this window. Signs are decent thus far.

Loving this structure, versus the bunch of accountants and investment bankers we used to have.

Not sure where this over perpetuated myth narrative comes from. John Murtough is no less a ‘football man’ than Dan Ashworth, the likes of Jim Lawler and Marcel Bout who have previously led the recruitment side are not Chartered Accountants, and Omar Berrada is not a former central midfielder any more than the likes of Arnold or Woodward are/were.

These people, we hope, are simply just better at their jobs, but they could just as easily now be, they don’t have any sort of advantage due to having a better understanding of 433 or whatever.

Not sure where this over perpetuated myth narrative comes from. John Murtough is no less a ‘football man’ than Dan Ashworth, the likes of Jim Lawler and Marcel Bout who have previously led the recruitment side are not Chartered Accountants, and Omar Berrada is not a former central midfielder any more than the likes of Arnold or Woodward are/were.

These people, we hope, are simply just better at their jobs, but they could just as easily now be, they don’t have any sort of advantage due to having a better understanding of 433 or whatever.
Yeah there’s always been “football” people at the club, but I think it was the segregation of duties or structure that wasn’t in place, leaving most of the decision making to ceo and manager, imo.

But alas, I’m just bitter about woodward. Leave me be.

Not only that, but the fact that there are clearly defined roles and departments in place. If an individual proves not to be good enough in his role, he can be replaced with someone who is.

Whereas before we just had an assortment of poorly defined and titled spoofers trying to do everything without direction.

Hope they don't turn sh*t like most players after coming here... ;)

Getting the right people in to direct the club forward has always been my priority with new ownership, rather than spectacular new signings and superstar transfers.

It seems we’ve assembled the avengers of backroom staff, hopefully that translates on the pitch

Is that everyone in place now?

Andy O Boyle isn't a new recruit, as he has been around since May 2022, but listing him here for completeness.

CEO: Omar Berrada

Sporting Director: Dan Ashworth

Technical Director: Jason Wilcox

Director of Recruitment: Christopher Vivell.

Sports Coordinator / Deputy DOF: Andy O'Boyle

Can someone explain who does what?

TBH, let's not start framing unrealistic expectations. We already have an identity in place (now I'm not debating whether that identity is good or bad), and it will take time for the other club staff to tune into the new structure as well as the four to frame a working relationship. Miracles will not happen in a season but we should be able to see signs of progress especially in "how we approach transfers" (not success/failure of the transfers themselves).

True.
But it's not a quick fix, so it's going to take time for that talented group - some of whom haven't even started yet - to start making enough impact that it's reflected in significant improvement.

We're still paying for many a past mistake and that's going to initially make it trickier as we're stuck with players on high wages and a reputation for poor negotiating / the United Tax.

They're not being placed straight into an already well run machine and can hit the ground running. They've got to turn a poorly run one into a well run machine and that'll take time off the pitch as well before it's fully reflected on it.

But, hopefully, there'll be slow and steady improvement and we can start to see the progress being made reflected in the types of signings we make and performances we deliver, etc. But it'll be slow and steady improvements I'm guessing, with a sensible budget aimed at long term and sustainable improvement, rather than chasing short term success by throwing huge sums at it this summer.

Where are the three lads with suits that went to suss out Herrera? Were they Caf Muppets undercover? Or are they still here, lurking among the spiders in the bowels of OT?

Anything is better than Woodward trying to play the hero/martyr exec role all the time

Great stuff.
Let’s hope they can execute a great transfer window now.
Still think we need a goal scoring winger and that’s gone a bit quiet after the news came out that Olise was likely to go to Bayern.

Lets see what happens.

Just need our permanent Head of Recruitment in place after this summer window, him to put his new recruitment and scouting team together. And then we will just be Gareth Southgate away from INEOS's full vision.

What is the difference between a technical director, sporting director and director of recruitment?