Our front three (or variations)

As it stands, our options are

LW: Garnacho, Rashford, Sancho
ST: Hojlund, Zirkzee, Rashford
RW: Amad, Garnacho, Antony, Pellistri

And that’s how I’d rank them as options. At least until I’ve got a better idea of how Zirkzee fits in, because I’ve only seen YouTube clips.

In reality I’d expect Rashford left and Garnacho right, with Sancho, Antony and Amad offering cover. Antony is glued to the right wing but the other two do have more versatility. Pellistri I think is gone, one way or another.

I think there’s different strengths there, which will come into play in different games. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hojlund becomes an impact sub, either coming on for Zirkzee, or just ahead of him (Hojlund on for a CM, then Zirkzee and Fernandes both moving back slightly).

Rashford Zirkzee and Garnacho might work. I feel Zirkzee dropping deep will allow space for Rashford and Garnacho which is when they’re at their best.

I think at the moment Rashford, Hojlund and Garnacho is still the strongest idea until shown otherwise.

But it will very much be a case of whoever doesn't perform gets booted out. Diallo showed promise on the right at the end of the season. Zirkzee can in my view compete with Hojlund and even Bruno. He might need some time but it's another option that didn't exist last season.

What we need to massively improve is the midfield control to give these guys a platform. No good with the likes of Casemiro punting it around aimlessly. We need more solidity, legs, control of the ball in there alongside Mainoo. It was a similar thing with England, these excellent attacking options but no platform due to terrible build up.

I'm expecting us to stick with 3 across the front line. Probably Garnacho - Hojlund - Rashford. With Zirkzee initially alternative to Hojlund (sub appearance at first). And Sancho, Antony and Amad as alternatives out wide - unless any are sold beforehand.

If Rashford has one of his good seasons, and Garnacho continues to develop well, then that could be good. If we're not getting the goals from out wide, it might be interesting to see how we do with a front two. Particularly Zirkzee (dropping deeper) and Hojlund (looking to get in behind). Though I'd be surprised if we move to that.

Zirkzee is an interesting addition as he looks a good talent, but probably best suited to drifting around in the Bruno type spaces. When he's used instead of Hojlund, it'll be interesting to see if he (dropping deep) and Bruno (as #10) combine well, or end up getting into each others way by looking to drift into similar areas.

Depends on the opponent. We rotate Zirkzee and Hojlund depending on whether we need to set up in a false 9 system or a pure striker system.

As for the wingers I think Rashford/Garnacho suits Zirkzee better and Amad/Sancho suits Hojlund better.

There are a few interesting combos. Surely Zirkzee is probably best suited to playing with Rashford, dropping off and creating space for Rashford to attack like what used to happen with he and Martial. Garnacho, Amad Antony or Sancho on the right doesn’t really matter.

Rasmus probably more suited to Rashford being on the bench and having say Sancho or Amad on either wing. Could of course throw Garnacho in there as well.

I’m not really that convinced that Sancho will be staying and if they can move Antony on I think they will. Doing so means at least one person needs to come in. So Xavi Simmons and Doué links would make sense.

It's been reported a few times that Sancho wants to play LW, so I would just use the problem pair Rashford/Sancho on the left side for 24/25 season and let them fight over a place...or more likely sulk over a place.

CF = Hojlund/Zirkzee
LW = Rashford/Sancho
RW = Garnacho/Amad
AM = Bruno

*Antony needs a loan anywhere! he is awful and just having him around is giving the coaches another problem to fix. Casemiro/Rashford/Sancho is more than enough problems for EtH in the coming season.

I know I say it often, but a lot of our attacking potency depends on what Rashford we get. Otherwise, any other variation will likely be short of goals in my opinion.

I’m hopeful we will see an increase from Hojlund and Garnacho. It’s good to have some options. I suspect we will play split strikers with two of Rashford, Hojlund and Garnacho and Zirkzee playing a false 9 role between them on a few occasions. If that can click then I think it has the potential for the most goals, especially a trio if Rashford, Zirkzee and Hojlund.

I know I say it often, but a lot of our attacking potency depends on what Rashford we get. Otherwise, any other variation will likely be short of goals in my opinion.

I’m hopeful we will see an increase from Hojlund and Garnacho. It’s good to have some options. I suspect we will play split strikers with two of Rashford, Hojlund and Garnacho and Zirkzee playing a false 9 role between them on a few occasions. If that can click then I think it has the potential for the most goals, especially a trio if Rashford, Zirkzee and Hojlund.
Where would Bruno fit into that? If Zirkzee is playing a false 9 or more of a AM role with Rashford and Hojlund being split strikers.

Where would Bruno fit into that? If Zirkzee is playing a false 9 or more of a AM role with Rashford and Hojlund being split strikers.

He will play in the midfield 3, where he’s always played.

He will play in the midfield 3, where he’s always played.
As he always played there? Most of the time he’s suppose to be AM but does end up playing deeper because we’re always getting battered.

As he always played there? Most of the time he’s suppose to be AM but does end up playing deeper because we’re always getting battered.

Yes. Given we usually play a striker and a left and right winger, Bruno is usually in the next 3 back.

Yes. Given we usually play a striker and a left and right winger, Bruno is usually in the next 3 back.
So you’ve never heard or seen a 4-2-3-1 where the wingers are level with the AM and then the double pivot behind.

So you’ve never heard or seen a 4-2-3-1 where the wingers are level with the AM and then the double pivot behind.

Yes. In in that formation, the double pivot and the AM are the ‘midfield 3’.

Yes. In in that formation, the double pivot and the AM are the ‘midfield 3’.
True but I assumed you meant as in like one of the CM roles in front of the DM. My bad

Amad now has a brilliant opportunity to cement his place on the right. Brilliant today and it’s likely Garnacho will only be be back in training week of the community shield

The pecking order is probably as follows:

LW - Rashford, Sancho, Garnacho
ST - Hojlund, Zirkzee
RW - Garnacho, Amad, Antony, Pellestri (& Sancho can play there)

Pelli will probably leave though as we've too many options on the right to give him proper minutes. Garnacho's the best right winger at the club, but he got flogged to death last year. Amad should get a fair few minutes (probably at the start of the season too given Garnacho was involved in the Copa)

Last edited: