Options for the NHS

No but people that can't grasp the nature of its purpose are pretty short sighted. I agree though that finding an activity you like is very important. Doing both is best case scenario.
Well there you go then my point was that it's mind numbingly boring. If you want people to be more active to live a healthier life and prevent strain on the healthcare system, promote shit that people like rather than mindlessly running or picking shit up and putting it back down again.

Yes I did read her comment.

If the BMA was so successful in aggressively pushing the interests of its members, you have to wonder why discontent is so high at every level of the system, in both primary and secondary care.

Why retention is becoming so poor and why many physicians are looking jealously at the salaries and working conditions of their peers across the anglosphere, much of western and northern Europe and even increasingly back home to countries that many would consider lesser economies than the UK's?
It doesn't seem like you've read her (apologies for the wrong pronoun) comment.

Well there you go then my point was that it's mind numbingly boring. If you want people to be more active to live a healthier life and prevent strain on the healthcare system, promote shit that people like rather than mindlessly running or picking shit up and putting it back down again.
Literal millions of people enjoy running and the gym.

Why, which bit do you think I've not read?
The part where she's said they are not belonging to the NHS and have very favourable terms (no out of hours appointments and extra pay for various bits). She also appears to be or has been in the past, quite involved with the whole process so I'm willing to listen to what she's saying.

The part where she's said they are not belonging to the NHS and have very favourable terms (no out of hours appointments and extra pay for various bits). She also appears to be or has been in the past, quite involved with the whole process so I'm willing to listen to what she's saying.

So how did I not read it?

Nothing I said indicates that I didn't read the post. I'm saying that somehow, despite the BMA apparently being this boogeyman who gets amazing terms for GPs. Yet despite this, a third of GPs want to quit within 5 years. 20% of (fully qualified!!) GPs under the age of 30 quit last year.

Why people think doctors should be paid the same for working on a Sunday morning as a Tuesday afternoon I have no idea really. I certainly wouldn't expect to be paying a plumber or lawyer the same.

I've worked as a (hospital) doctor in 4 different countries and have friends and colleagues working in others which I have not. Through circumstance that I won't bother getting into, the UK is where I've ended up staying and working and honestly the way doctors are seen here in this country compared to the other countries is....baffling.

I went for an executive board-level job at the trust earlier this year (having worked exclusively in the private sector). As part of the interview process I did an engagement exercise with the directors of various specialties and operating departments. They were the most soulless uninspiring group of people I’ve ever sat with. Less energy and optimism than at a funeral. After an hour I knew that this was a group of people clinging to their salaries and pension, who lacked the passion and capability to change things for the better. It was eye-opening and there was no way I’d spend the rest of my life working around such misery

I'm glad I started this thread, it seems quite a few posters have observations that are worthy of more discussion, for my part I'll add this:

In the US as an alternative to A&E (or the ER as they call it here) most areas have a number of what's called Urgent Care facilities, I know that the UK has some of these but just how widespread and accesible are they?

In my local area the main hospital is 3 miles away and in a 5 mile radius there's at least half a dozen of these facilities, they're open 8am to 8pm 7 days a week and are first come, first served with no appointments.

They're mostly staffed by nurse practitioners but there is always at least one doctor on-site as well, my family have used these from time-to-time over the years (getting GP appointments is someimes as bad here as the UK) an found them to be quite good.

Maybe an expansion of this type of facility is what the UK needs?

I went for an executive board-level job at the trust earlier this year (having worked exclusively in the private sector). As part of the interview process I did an engagement exercise with the directors of various specialties and operating departments. They were the most soulless uninspiring group of people I’ve ever sat with. Less energy and optimism than at a funeral. After an hour I knew that this was a group of people clinging to their salaries and pension, who lacked the passion and capability to change things for the better. It was eye-opening and there was no way I’d spend the rest of my life working around such misery

It has become a generally quite depressing place to work at the clinical level in a lot of places sadly and I imagine the same is true at a managerial level too.

Changing that is important but not entirely sure how it's done really.

I'm glad I started this thread, it seems quite a few posters have observations that are worthy of more discussion, for my part I'll add this:

In the US as an alternative to A&E (or the ER as they call it here) most areas have a number of what's called Urgent Care facilities, I know that the UK has some of these but just how widespread and accesible are they?

In my local area the main hospital is 3 miles away and in a 5 mile radius there's at least half a dozen of these facilities, they're open 8am to 8pm 7 days a week and are first come, first served with no appointments.

They're mostly staffed by nurse practitioners but there is always at least one doctor on-site as well, my family have used these from time-to-time over the years (getting GP appointments is someimes as bad here as the UK) an found them to be quite good.

Maybe an expansion of this type of facility is what the UK needs?

It's a good question. My view is sadly quite London centric but we certainly do have quite a few of them across London at least. Some of them were previously full on A&Es which have closed down.

Most A&Es will also have an urgent care portion within their A&E proper too to filter through some of the stuff that is neither an accident or emergency. Especially within these, they will be staffed by NPs, as well as GPs.

They do work well like you said and stop the ED physicians from having to see the person who's had a headache for 3 weeks.

I don’t think the problem with the NHS is strictly the healthcare model.

With a functioning economy, adequate funding and the will to take a detailed look at imigration, the free at the point of care healthcare we have enjoyed can return to the incredible levels of satisfaction we saw 15-20 years ago.

The true issue at play is social care. We have a rapidly aging population, living longer than ever with mounting health ailment's that are having to be absorbed into the NHS because the care system can’t cope, this is then adding an extra boot onto the neck of the NHS which is already under strain from austerity, covid and labour issues.

We need a means of funding elderly care that’s sustainable and isn’t just shunting people into A&E or overcrowded wards, or booking up every gp appointment because they want a chat about one of their 16 minor health conditions.

isn’t an easy answer to this, I’d be happy personally if there was a new tax created that acted almost as a pension so that people aren’t having to sell their homes to live in a shithole care home but that’s just me. Money has to come from somewhere.
Is that really true though, I've no doubt it was better then than now but incredible levels seems a stretch to me

You're not wrong about social care. and that plays in to what should and what shouldn't the NHS do, social care used to be the remit of local government, not the NHS, and IMO that needs to be either reverted back tp local goverment responsibility or a new system independent of both but state-finded

It has become a generally quite depressing place to work at the clinical level in a lot of places sadly and I imagine the same is true at a managerial level too.

Changing that is important but not entirely sure how it's done really.
That’s an under-rated element of the problem: how do you change the culture of such big organisations? Where the defeatism and misery is so embedded. I’ve asked lots of people over the years and have never had a compelling answer. In fact the only consistent answer I’ve had is, “you can’t”

It's a good question. My view is sadly quite London centric but we certainly do have quite a few of them across London at least. Some of them were previously full on A&Es which have closed down.

Most A&Es will also have an urgent care portion within their A&E proper too to filter through some of the stuff that is neither an accident or emergency. Especially within these, they will be staffed by NPs, as well as GPs.

They do work well like you said and stop the ED physicians from having to see the person who's had a headache for 3 weeks.
The main problem I see with these in the UK is how do you get to them, outside of major cities in the US public transport is non-existent so everyone drives, whilst the UK is better with public transport it still doesn't reach the levels where it would be needed most and driving is less of an option as well

Is that really true though, I've no doubt it was better then than now but incredible levels seems a stretch to me

You're not wrong about social care. and that plays in to what should and what shouldn't the NHS do, social care used to be the remit of local government, not the NHS, and IMO that needs to be either reverted back tp local goverment responsibility or a new system independent of both but state-finded

The last time I used the NHS was in the mid 2000's and I thought it was so poor then - how bad is it now?

So how did I not read it?

Nothing I said indicates that I didn't read the post. I'm saying that somehow, despite the BMA apparently being this boogeyman who gets amazing terms for GPs. Yet despite this, a third of GPs want to quit within 5 years. 20% of (fully qualified!!) GPs under the age of 30 quit last year.

Why people think doctors should be paid the same for working on a Sunday morning as a Tuesday afternoon I have no idea really. I certainly wouldn't expect to be paying a plumber or lawyer the same.

I've worked as a (hospital) doctor in 4 different countries and have friends and colleagues working in others which I have not. Through circumstance that I won't bother getting into, the UK is where I've ended up staying and working and honestly the way doctors are seen here in this country compared to the other countries is....baffling.

I’ve seen your posts on here over the years, and I respect the effort you’ve put in to try to educate people about what’s really happening.

I’ve stopped bothering to be honest and given up long ago. I mean why even bother responding to such ridiculous posts- if someone replies like that you know they have absolutely no idea what’s really happening to the NHS and more importantly they’ll never change their perspective and will only listen to what they want.

I always lived in the same city, never thought about leaving here, but I realised that there’s no future for doctors in the UK. Both me and my wife recently CCT’d as GP’s and are moving abroad in the next 6 months. We’ve been offered triple our UK salaries for a 40 hour week. When we were interviewing for these posts it felt like we were on another planet.

Floodgates have opened, and the amount of doctors leaving the UK is crazy. Almost everyone I have spoken to or worked with under <35 had the same plan, because it’s a no brainer.

It’s a really sad time for the British population and I worry for my parents. People think they’re suffering now, but the next 10-15 years are going to be really painful

I mean, it’s a difficult question to answer, all we can look at is anecdotal evidence and the satisfaction data and the world health index.

mid 2000’s satisfaction was at an all time
High, like most of life it’s a postcode lottery, I’ve never had anything but amazing care in Cambridgeshire, and while people have banged on about gp appointments for years it’s only something I’ve had to notice in the past 4/5 years.

reality is we have had a healthcare system that by and large worked, was well above average in metrics and was free at the point of use. It isn’t that system anymore.

im not married to the nhs being completely free, but moving to an American style model is a hill I’m literally willing to die on and would genuinely look to physically fight back against, I feel that strongly against it. The principles of the NHS are immensely valuable.

The last time I used the NHS was in the mid 2000's and I thought it was so poor then - how bad is it now?
I can't speak to personal experience as 2011 was the last time I used it but it wasn't that great then.

However my parents and siblings still use the system, my mother was taken ill 18 months or so ago and had to be taken by ambulance to hospital, the ambulance took more than 2 hours to arrive and then she had to wait in the ambulance for about 7 hours at the hospital because there wasn't a bed available, eventually she was admitted and spent a week there, this was at Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro, the main hospital in Cornwall.

One of my brothers was recently told he needs aortic valve surgery, this is the second most common cardiac procedure and there isn't a hospital in Cornwall that does this surgery so he'll have to go to Plymouth in Devon, to me it's a scandal of epic proportions that the second most common cardiac procedure can't be done in a county with a population of over half a million

The problem is that successive governments see the NHS as a cost.

It's not a cost, it's an investment - a healthier and more productive population is the reward to reap.

I mean, it’s a difficult question to answer, all we can look at is anecdotal evidence and the satisfaction data and the world health index.

mid 2000’s satisfaction was at an all time
High, like most of life it’s a postcode lottery, I’ve never had anything but amazing care in Cambridgeshire, and while people have banged on about gp appointments for years it’s only something I’ve had to notice in the past 4/5 years.

reality is we have had a healthcare system that by and large worked, was well above average in metrics and was free at the point of use. It isn’t that system anymore.

im not married to the nhs being completely free, but moving to an American style model is a hill I’m literally willing to die on and would genuinely look to physically fight back against, I feel that strongly against it. The principles of the NHS are immensely valuable.
As someone who now lives in the US you won't get an argument from me on that!

The NHS isn't completely free now anyway, dental treatment has always had a cost associated with it and then there's prescriptions and vision

I never thought I'd ever say this, but therer are areas that perhaps should be run by private companies though funded by the taxpayer, the reality is that the NHS is highly inefficient in some areas and it would likely be cheaper to outsource some services because private companies will not tolerate those kind of inefficences, as long as the service is better and cheaper then it might be the way too go.

The problem is that successive governments see the NHS as a cost.

It's not a cost, it's an investment - a healthier and more productive population is the reward to reap.
Nope, governments of the party that just got booted out see the NHS as way to make money

I don't know what the options are for the NHS but I do have a friend who has personally had experience of it and to say it's not fit for purpose is an understatement.

His mum had pains in her stomach and was on two occasions basically fobbed off by her GP. He had recently spent 3 months sectioned after a psychotic episode and has been terribly treated and during his stay in hospital his mum was taken into hospital after being in terrible pain again. She's now been told after waiting over 3 weeks for a telephone call which didn't happen initially and had to wait another week that she had cancer and it's got into her bowel and is basically inoperable.

Worst of all there has been zero follow up by her GP. No treatment options, literally just left to fend for themselves. My friend since came out off his section but is in no way in a position to now care for his dying mum. Clearly this will worsen his own mental state and I suspect there is a strong possibility he goes completely off the rails trying to deal with all this.

It's an absolute scandal the state the NHS has been allowed to get into. And whilst I blame the previous govt, I also feel standards within the NHS have fallen far below what they should be. The staff also need a huge change in approach and professionalism, the mistakes, the lack of care for patients, it's rotten throughout.

How do you fix this given the state it's in? Worse of all, I suspect over the coming months we are going to hear some awful stories and potential legal action taken against the NHS for neglect. I think they will be destroyed by the legal payouts and wouldn't be surprised if it collapses completely as the govt will run out of money to keep it going.

44d29eb0-4360-11ef-b74c-bb483a802c97.png.webp

The BMA smashing it here.

I think they should get rid of health care completely and let everybody die.
Wasn't that basically the tory approach? The new government might want to try something else.

There definitely isn't an easy fix for the NHS. Frankly, healthcare as a whole across the world will probably need a significant rethink as our populations become older and more multi-morbid, people live longer and treatments become better at keeping people alive (and more expensive).

In terms of spit balling ideas though:

-The easiest one is more resources of course. Yes its a 'money sink'. But it is indisputable that the UK is below the average for doctors, nurses and beds per 100,000 population for OECD countries. That leads to a system that is constantly stretched, constantly just about surviving, constantly making do rather than actually trying to provide high quality care. That means for funding, updating infrastructure, paying staff appropriately so you actually attract and retain good, happy people.

-Improvements in social care. A significant part of the pressure comes from not being able to discharge some patients, some for a long time, because of failures in the social care system. At best, its waiting for equipment to be delivered or for for a care package to be implemented. At worst, its waiting because someone's family has decided to go on holiday and don't want to come back early to take their relative back or a homeless person. Hospitals should be primarily for sorting out acute medical issues, not social issues. This should also include an increase in pay and standing of care workers.

-I think outlining how much things cost to patients when they're sent for an appointment or scans may be helpful to reduce non-attendance (which is ridiculous).

-Increased focus on preventative care (particularly with obesity and alcohol) and improved health literacy of the population. The social determinants of health and the inequities we see across the country are shocking.

-Incentives for innovation and changes. I'll be honest and say I don't really know how to do this. Currently, you could be an amazing consultant, average or shocking (or nurse) and you will get paid essentially the same. Beyond pride, there is little incentive to poke your head above the parapet and do things differently and that needs to change. In some areas of the country, entire regions are joining together. Which is good for some things but means changes often have to happen on a regional level, which can be glacial.

-I'll go slightly against the grain and say we actually probably need more managers, not less. But with the proviso that we encourage more clinical managers too. We actually have less managers than, again, most of our OECD peers.

-I'm nowhere near as against the idea of European/ Australasian style private insurance existing alongside the public health system.

That’s an under-rated element of the problem: how do you change the culture of such big organisations? Where the defeatism and misery is so embedded. I’ve asked lots of people over the years and have never had a compelling answer. In fact the only consistent answer I’ve had is, “you can’t”

Yep, very true. Just a recent depressing example of how the NHS often treats its employees.

One of our nurse managers (who is very good) has had their own office for years. They need it really, as their work involves quite a bit of people management and sensitive discussions, meetings etc. She's quite senior and maybe 5 years away from retirement. There's been some renovations in the department recently.

Someone came to her, while she was in the office, and told her she had 20 minutes to vacate her office as it was being given to someone else, and she would be hot desking instead. This isn't a one off and I've heard similar stories from colleagues.

The service is also sadly awash with stories of non consultant doctors having to beg and fight to get annual leave for their own wedding, when placed on various on call shifts during it, as well as many others.

Its really not a good employer.

There definitely isn't an easy fix for the NHS. Frankly, healthcare as a whole across the world will probably need a significant rethink as our populations become older and more multi-morbid, people live longer and treatments become better at keeping people alive (and more expensive).

In terms of spit balling ideas though:

-The easiest one is more resources of course. Yes its a 'money sink'. But it is indisputable that the UK is below the average for doctors, nurses and beds per 100,000 population for OECD countries. That leads to a system that is constantly stretched, constantly just about surviving, constantly making do rather than actually trying to provide high quality care. That means for funding, updating infrastructure, paying staff appropriately so you actually attract and retain good, happy people.

-Improvements in social care. A significant part of the pressure comes from not being able to discharge some patients, some for a long time, because of failures in the social care system. At best, its waiting for equipment to be delivered or for for a care package to be implemented. At worst, its waiting because someone's family has decided to go on holiday and don't want to come back early to take their relative back or a homeless person. Hospitals should be primarily for sorting out acute medical issues, not social issues. This should also include an increase in pay and standing of care workers.

-I think outlining how much things cost to patients when they're sent for an appointment or scans may be helpful to reduce non-attendance (which is ridiculous).

-Increased focus on preventative care (particularly with obesity and alcohol) and improved health literacy of the population. The social determinants of health and the inequities we see across the country are shocking.

-Incentives for innovation and changes. I'll be honest and say I don't really know how to do this. Currently, you could be an amazing consultant, average or shocking (or nurse) and you will get paid essentially the same. Beyond pride, there is little incentive to poke your head above the parapet and do things differently and that needs to change. In some areas of the country, entire regions are joining together. Which is good for some things but means changes often have to happen on a regional level, which can be glacial.

-I'll go slightly against the grain and say we actually probably need more managers, not less. But with the proviso that we encourage more clinical managers too. We actually have less managers than, again, most of our OECD peers.

-I'm nowhere near as against the idea of European/ Australasian style private insurance existing alongside the public health system.
Do you think the NHS will keep its elective care in-house going forward? Or can you see it being outsourced and the NHS’s focus being on ED, cancer, non-surgical etc etc

Do you think the NHS will keep its elective care in-house going forward? Or can you see it being outsourced and the NHS’s focus being on ED, cancer, non-surgical etc etc

I think it should and will.

A health service does have to think about health economics to at least some extent, especially one that aims to be a universal health service like the NHS.

Giving up all the 'easy' elective money making care (orthopaedic procedures, opthalmology, endoscopy etc) would be a mistake I think.

Many people from my family and friends circle work in the NHS, from my conversations with them the below are a few of the big issues the NHS faces.

1. Bed blockers. Old people blocking beds in wards because they are not healthy enough to go home and look after themselves and they don't have anyone to care for them. Back in the day there used to be seperate care facilities people like this could be shifted too.

2. Under paid permanent staff, expensive contractors. This BS cycle needs to end. NHS staff are underpaid, they quit, contractors are bought in to replace them (some even get paid less), but the companies who provide the resource charge a boatload. Some nurses quit and join agencies just to get a pay rise and better conditions. Some agencies use foreign staff and pay them even less, but still charge way more than it would cost to give permament staff a pay rise.

3. Outsourcing everything. Laundry, cleaning, kitchens, you name it, it's outsourced. The more people involved, the more money spent.

4. Too much management and poor IT systems.

It sounds wierd, but to ultimately spend less money, you need to initially spend more money - or at least spend money in the right places.

I think it should and will.

A health service does have to think about health economics to at least some extent, especially one that aims to be a universal health service like the NHS.

Giving up all the 'easy' elective money making care (orthopaedic procedures, opthalmology, endoscopy etc) would be a mistake I think.
Logical and I agree. It just doesn’t seem to go along with what’s actually happening on the ground. I can only really speak for my experience with trusts in the north, but elective care doesn’t seem to be getting better and the reality is; if you replace Doris’s hip at 2 weeks she’s in and out in 2 days…..if you replace at 104 weeks now that she’s had 2 years to get fat and immobile, she’s clogging the bed for a week. And you already didn’t have any spare beds

What’s your experience in the south like recently?

I don’t think the problem with the NHS is strictly the healthcare model.

With a functioning economy, adequate funding and the will to take a detailed look at imigration, the free at the point of care healthcare we have enjoyed can return to the incredible levels of satisfaction we saw 15-20 years ago.

The true issue at play is social care. We have a rapidly aging population, living longer than ever with mounting health ailment's that are having to be absorbed into the NHS because the care system can’t cope, this is then adding an extra boot onto the neck of the NHS which is already under strain from austerity, covid and labour issues.

We need a means of funding elderly care that’s sustainable and isn’t just shunting people into A&E or overcrowded wards, or booking up every gp appointment because they want a chat about one of their 16 minor health conditions.

isn’t an easy answer to this, I’d be happy personally if there was a new
Agree with the issues with social care. As a B6 nurse on an acute/general medical ward I can tell you the majority of patients are awaiting placements or a care package. Since COVID we've seen such a huge rise in social admissions and mental health. Care homes are not coping with patients with multiple co-morbidities. There's been a huge spike of delirium patients, most with dementia who keep falling so they send them into hospital and refuse to have them back until they are at their baseline. Rarely are they ever back to their baseline the though. We are seeing an incredible amount of elderly patients who have been independent, living at home and now needing placements and its just clogging up the whole system.

Sadly, the mental health patients don't belong on an acute medical ward and their MH needs are just burning out the work force. My ward currently has two patients with violence and ligature risk assessments - this was rarely a thing when I first qualified. Now we are seeing more and more suicide attempts and aggression towards staff. So many of my peers are off work, injured or through stress. Since the NMC members agreed a 5% pay rise last year, NHSp (pool/bank staff) have conveniently cut their hourly pay quite substantially so we are seeing more and more unfilled staffing gaps. We're seeing newly qualified nurses choosing community and clinics instead of acute hospital care nowadays as well. They understand how difficult it is and I can't blame them for taking a less stressful role.

People are getting older, living longer but there aren't more beds in the hospitals. In fact my trust has less beds since I started working here however, since 2000, the population in my area has increased by approx 98,000. The pressures of patient flow keeps mounting to move ambulances on to their next patients and keep the ED corridors clear but there are more re-admissions than ever before because we are unsafely discharging patients home. More funding needs to be in place for social care and MH and that funding needs to be spent wisely and effectively. Being in the NHS for so long, I won't hold my breath for anything close to this happening though.

On a side note our international nurses find the cultural differences quite strange and sometimes distressing. They always ask why the families are not looking after the elderly? I think the socio/cultural differences in how we look after our elderly loved ones impact the NHS more than we think about sometimes.