Option/replacement for Casemiro

He averages a goal or an assist every 22 games. I can live with that if he’s a good enough defensive mid to allow out more attacking options to attack with freedom.

4 goals and 9 assists in 189 games.

If he stays injury free, he might outscore Peter Schmeichel who managed 11. :+1:

He averages a goal or an assist every 22 games. I can live with that if he’s a good enough defensive mid to allow out more attacking options to attack with freedom.

4 goals and 9 assists in 189 games.

I am not questioning his abilities - it was just the comparison to Palhinha I find a bit strange. They are both tough tacklers - but Palhinha is tall and an aerial threat - and generally pops up with a goal or two - Ugarte never does

Started last night for Spain and did his usual good job of controlling the tempo from deep and positioning himself well to block off counter attacks.. He's a bit of a Carrick clone in some ways although in terms of United, I suppose he might lack a bit of physical presence for a team that is already sorely lacking in that regard. He'd definitely be a decent option for us, though, if he was prepared to leave Spain (and we could beat his other suitors - Arteta is reportedly a big fan).

Amadou Onana would probably be my first choice - he has all the attributes to become a really good Premier League #6 and still only 22. If we are looking for a more budget-friendly option, Anton Stach might fit the bill - Newcastle are apparently interested and Hoffenheim are reportedly only asking for €15m.
Just forget about Zubimendi. He is not on the market at all. He always has this release clause in his existing contract and there is no signal from him and his agent he is willing to leave Spain every summer. I believe Arteta and Edu gave up and moved on.

Fofana would be a cheap option from Monaco. Pretty decent too.

Well Palhinha is a threat in the air - Ugarte is only a threat to opponents ankles. He is possibly the least attack-minded midfielder in world football. Has he ever scored a goal ? :)
Who on earth wants an attack minded DM? That isn’t their job. They’re in the team to stop goals and stop counters. Casemiro and Rodri will get you the odd goal from long range efforts or headers of set pieces but they won’t be bothered if they score aslong as they keep a clean sheet.

Fofana would be a cheap option from Monaco. Pretty decent too.

I don't really get how people see Fofana as any kind of 6. If we sold McT and brought him in I'd kind of get it, but Fofana is not a holding midfielder. At all.