Opposition Fans: Keane or Vieira?

Would you rather have peak Keane or peak Vieira in your team?

• Roy

Votes: 69 71.1%
  • Paddy

Votes: 28 28.9%

• Total voters

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I hope you get the attention you’re looking for :lol:
Why? He was a thug, just like Bremner or Souness before him. The Haaland tackle proved that. I’m not saying he wouldn’t have still been a thug at Forest if he’d stayed, nor am I saying was wasn’t a great player at United. I watched him while he was Forest, he was a different class, could play anywhere + Cloughy encouraged him to get forward.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You need to watch Nottingham Forest or the first 66% of United tenure Keane (replays and highlights) to appreciate what he was at his peak. Walks into any midfield in the world today

Vieira: excellent midfielder too. Little separates them so it comes down to the 4-2 at Highbury for me. Keane wins

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Both greats. I think of the two Keane influenced games more at the very highest level e.g. dragging a team into CL final whereas Vieira was part of those nearly Arsenal teams ( 2001 and 2004) in CL and similar at Juventus.

Can't remember if Vieira was a regular for France in the 1998 world cup but Keane gave some brilliant performances for ROI in the 2002 qualification against Portugal and the Netherlands.

Shame Keane didn't go abroad. He said in his second book Real Madrid seriously wanted him after his abrupt Man. United departure (the time when they had Gravesen as their DM) but he didn't want to uproot family. His body was falling apart at that point but still six months of him in slower paced La Liga or Serie A for a top level team would've been interesting.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Have to say that ITV programme they did in 2013 was a great watch, ITV still show it once a year on one of their channels.

Arguing about Ashley Cole or Denis Irwin in the combined 90s/early 2000s team. :lol: And Keane using it as an opportunity to take pops at Schmeichel and Gary Neville!

Might give it a watch on ITV X tonight after we finish our european game as nod to this fantastic thread.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Viera was a better player; better on the ball and more physically imposing.

I'd prefer to have Keane on my team though.
Simply not true at all. Keane is massively underrated on the ball, rarely lost it and could pass through the lines as good as any player. Also being physically imposing was one of Keane's strongest attributes, just because he didn't look as big as Vieira doesn't mean he didn't impose himself physically, his aggression and tenacity made up for that.

How often did you watch Keane play?

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You can't be picking a guy who is responsible for one of the worst dives ever.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Simply not true at all. Keane is massively underrated on the ball, rarely lost it and could pass through the lines as good as any player. Also being physically imposing was one of Keane's strongest attributes, just because he didn't look as big as Vieira doesn't mean he didn't impose himself physically, his aggression and tenacity made up for that.

Vieira was definitely more physically imposing and he made it count too, winning tackles other players had no right to win, and brushing off players in possession.

Sir Erik ten Hag

More interesting question: Is there any setup where Vieira and Keane can play together in the same team?

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC

Keane being underrated on the ball by some doesn't make him better than Vieira, who was clearly better, at least for me. Better touch; better ball retention; and better ball carrying. Maybe both were equal at passing, but Vieira would still be a better overall player when in possession of the ball.

I can't see how anyone could consider Keane more physically imposing; maybe he had a bit more workrate(by really thin margin), but was clearly weaker and slower; both fearless.

stevoc

It is.
Vieira:
World Champion
European Champion
3x English champion
5x Italian champion
1x Champions league
5x FA cup
1x Italian cup
Not counting super cups (1 game comps)

Keane:
7x English champion
1x Champions league
4x FA cup
+ a couple of trophies with Celtic
Viera only has 4 Serie A titles. And he never won the Champions League.

Bucephalus74

Supports
Arsenal
Uh yes. Pick literally any setup and there'd be a good fit for both.
Put peak Keane and Viera into today's Arsenal ahead of Rice and Havertz. Passing slick enough for the modern game, and bone-crunching tackles that would make Vinnie Jones vaguely afraid. So long as they finished with 11 men more often than not, that that midfield would maraud the league. With the added bonus that no one would dare to foul Saka again.

Anyway, I'm obviously not a neutral, and so I'll slightly prefer Viera. But there isn't much between them, all respect to Keane, and the idea of them playing together is truly spectacular.

padr81

Supports
Man City
More interesting question: Is there any setup where Vieira and Keane can play together in the same team?
Absolutely stick them both ina 4231 with KDB or Scholes as the 10 and they'd absolutely dominate every team in Europe, to be honest I think even today if both of them got togged out as they currently are they'd be better than Uniteds current midfield two. To be honest if you had both in their prime you could probably win the league playing the classic 442 this season.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'd give it to Vieria by the tiniest margin, he was bigger, stronger and a little better on the ball (albeit not by much).
It's like comparing a 9.9999/10 with a 10/10

Irwin99

Keane being underrated on the ball by some doesn't make him better than Vieira, who was clearly better, at least for me. Better touch; better ball retention; and better ball carrying. Maybe both were equal at passing, but Vieira would still be a better overall player when in possession of the ball.

I can't see how anyone could consider Keane more physically imposing; maybe he had a bit more workrate(by really thin margin), but was clearly weaker and slower; both fearless.
Vieira was more physically imposing for sure and quicker but ball retention and touch are way more debatable. I’d love to see Vieria’s OPTA stats from his Arsenal days but Keane had an average of 88% passing accuracy in 5 straight seasons and a lot of touches of the ball. I imagine Patrick would be very close but I actually think his passing accuracy would be a bit lower. I’d be surprised if it was higher than Keane’s because as brilliant as he was he could give the ball away cheaply at times.

it’s interesting that Keane, who is very self deprecating about his ability as a player said in his autobiography that he thought his touch was better than Vieira and that his anticipation was a bit better.