Omar Berrada: Manchester United aiming to win the title by 2028

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Manchester United chief executive Omar Berrada has told staff that the aim is to win the Premier League title in 2028, for the 150th anniversary of the club being formed.

Berrada, who officially joined from rivals Manchester City in June, addressed employees during a meeting at Old Trafford last Wednesday and mapped out the ambitions shared by Sir Jim Ratcliffe and the football hierarchy.

Berrada informed staff of “Project 150” — so called because it coincides with the major milestone of United’s existence. The club was founded, as Newton Heath, in 1878, before changing its name to Manchester United in 1902.

That defined goal puts into context the work required on the team, with United currently 11th in the Premier League after two wins, one draw and two defeats. United also drew their opening game in the Europa League to FC Twente, the lowest-ranked side they will face at Old Trafford in the competition.

Berrada also spoke about the women’s team winning their first title by that year, in equal prominence. He tried to strike an aspirational tone, accepting it would take lots of hard work, rather than come across bullish.

As stated in the article, it seems like more of an aspiration than a bullish expectation. Nothing wrong with that I suppose.

In 2028, it will be 15 years without the title. I never thought it would take this long.

I would assume this doesn't mean he expects seasons of non-contention before 2028 if the aim is to win it that season.

As stated in the article, it seems like more of an aspiration than a bullish expectation. Nothing wrong with that I suppose.

I think it's useful for us in weighing up INEOS' progress at the club. If this is the timeframe they're happy to set for themselves, then it's a fair timeframe for us to judge their impact by.

Pressure to actually achieve isn’t unfair, it should be standard at a top sports team. If we don’t have aspirations to be one of the best very soon, what’s the point?
Aspirations is one thing. Reality is another. We are going nowhere under the current coach so don’t know how they come up with that aspiration/expectation.
Assuming they just let ETH contract run out in the summer it will already be 2025

I would assume this doesn't mean he expects seasons of non-contention before 2028 if the aim is to win it that season.

Indeed. They'd presumably have to see something like:

24/25 - Whatever
25/26 - Top Four
26/27 - Title Challenge
27/28 - Title Win

Which when looked at like that is indeed very optimistic as it depends on linear year-on-year progression.

Whereas Klopp's Liverpool had two 4th place finishes before they mounted a title challenge. And even imagining Arsenal win the title this year (which they're still not favourites to do), it would be off the back of two previous title challenging seasons.

Indeed. They'd presumably have to see something like:

24/25 - Whatever
25/26 - Top Four
26/27 - Title Challenge
27/28 - Title Win

Which when looked at like that is indeed very optimistic as it depends on linear year-on-year progression.

Whereas Klopp's Liverpool had two 4th place finishes before they mounted a title challenge. And even imagining Arsenal win the title this year (which they're still not favourites to do), it would be off the back of two previous title challenging seasons.
The only reason it appears unrealistic is because this season is looking like another write-off. We should be challenging for top 4 this season.

Is this the new "watch this space"?
I think it's just cooperate speak for 'we're working towards being the best and have OKR's to get us there'. What usually happens however is that the guys who do the planning and make the decisions are wildly optimistic, but this is what stakeholders want to hear, this is how you get investment.

Aspirations is one thing. Reality is another. We are going nowhere under the current coach so don’t know how they come up with that aspiration/expectation.
Assuming they just let ETH contract run out in the summer it will already be 2025
It's not unrealistic if we can get our house in order. 2028 is four years away. We've done well in getting rid of the incompetent backroom/management staff, now it's time to get rid of shite like Ten Hag instead of wasting time like we always do.

It's not unrealistic if we can get our house in order. 2028 is four years away. We've done well in getting rid of the incompetent backroom/management staff, now it's time to get rid of shite like Ten Hag instead of wasting time like we always do.

It also depends on us making a successful appointment when replacing him though. Which is easier said than done, particularly when there isn't an obvious Klopp-like figure for top teams to target atm.

Though on the flip side, all of this becomes much easier if City are hit with heavy punishments at some point over this period.

Is it even ambitious? Titles are tough so you can never demand one but for a club of our stature being in contention should be the bottom line not the ambition. Whether you win or not then comes down to luck, injuries, form etc.

Our fan base has bought it's own lie that it takes several years of a project to achieve anything. With every new manager that myth has become more prevalent and we keep focusing on belief in the manager rather than belief in the club. I suppose the glazers and woodward are to blame for that in a sense as its hard to get behind them so the manager has become the substitute.

I don't believe that would be the expectations at the club at all. They will expect us to go close before finally managing it.

Teams very rarely go from nowhere near the title to title winners overnight. Liverpool ran close before the finally managed to get over the line and arsenal are on a similar trajectory after last season.

The aim will be continuous improvement which culminates in a title victory.

Is it even ambitious? Titles are tough so you can never demand one but for a club of our stature being in contention should be the bottom line not the ambition. Whether you win or not then comes down to luck, injuries, form etc.

Our fan base has bought it's own lie that it takes several years of a project to achieve anything. With every new manager that myth has become more prevalent and we keep focusing on belief in the manager rather than belief in the club. I suppose the glazers and woodward are to blame for that in a sense as its hard to get behind them so the manager has become the substitute.
Well said. Top 4 should be bare minimum every season.
If we get a new manager this season, and some good signings, I would be expecting us to challenge for the title next season.
The drifting in mediocrity has gone on too long.

Yep, it’s just setting some vague, distant target which sounds remotely ambitious, but which will be quickly explained away. We’ve already had this with the club saying that they were setting themselves up to be the best team in the country when Klopp and Pep finished. Surprise, surprise Klopp’s gone and we’re still shit.

You can basically write the rowing back excuse article now

'Whilst the club had initially expressed its ambition to win the title in 2028, there is now an acceptance that this target was optimistic. The upper management of the club now recognise that keeping ten Hag was a mistake and that a number of the players signed under him ultimately proved not to be at the required level. As such, the upper management now accept that Manchester United are in a period of transition and hope to be in a position to challenge for the league by 2030’

So he's here to delay our success by 4 years.
What did I tell you about him being a Citeh's spy?

Well said. Top 4 should be bare minimum every season.
If we get a new manager this season, and some good signings, I would be expecting us to challenge for the title next season.
The drifting in mediocrity has gone on too long.

I reckon we could challenge next season if we sign Osimhen, Nico, Wirtz, Eze, and Kimmich next summer.

Why are we taking inspiration from the Alpine Formula 1 team with deadlined objectives like this? Did I miss the announcement of Laurent Rossi joining the management team?

That's fair. A good rebuild shouldn't take longer than 3 years. You just have to make the right steps. You need the right manager in early, so he can develop things properly. You need to develop your core group of homegrown players properly (I think we're on our way here with Mainoo, Amad, Garnacho). You need to make the right signings and have a quality and balanced squad, but not bloated. Also helps if Pep fecks off by that point.

We may not win it in 2028, but we should certainly be competing for the title then.

I can't see us turning around until 2030 something after all the money we've wasted. 2038 is more realistic

It should not be taking another 4 years. Guardiola won it in like his 2nd in England didn’t he? Klopp was challenging in like 2/3 years.