Old football grounds

I much prefer the old stadiums to the modern bowl design teams go for.

Derby County Baseball ground? Remember a 1 nil win there with Becks scoring the winner I think.

I’ve been to the old and new ones at all 3. Similar bowl experiences at all the new ones. The old ones each had character that was unique to them. Especially Highbury and Upton Park. Both clubs upgraded their revenues but massively downgraded in that unique Arsenal and West Ham culture feel that smacked you in the face when you walked into the ground. It makes you appreciate your own home ground that has been home to our both clubs for over a century.

Yes, I hope they don't move. A long long time ago I worked for about a year right next door to the old White Hart Lane stadium in Tottenham and saw many matches there. Can't imagine what the new stadium would be like in comparison but at least it's in the same place.

The Baseball Ground (Derby)

I was always quite fond of Derby's 'Baseball Ground', because it's just so bizarre. The decision to make one of the goal-end stands level with the road and not the pitch was... bold.

Baseball-Ground.jpg

Great work Geebs

Ones for the Welsh
Ninian Park
Vetchfield

Also can't remember Brightons old ground (not the athletics stadium they used to play in)

Some of these old grounds had more character than others. Highbury, Upton Park and the Baseball Ground were great because one felt really close to (almost "on top of") the pitch.

Highfield Road felt ridiculously neat and tidy, and hadn't got a lot of atmosphere. Burnden Park and Ayrsome Park were miserable dumps.

I used to be fascinated by Stamford Bridge. The stands were miles from the pitch, yet it had its own atmosphere. It didn't look as though it was in an urban area at all, let alone central London. It was more like a county agricultural showground. It even had cars parked between the stands and the pitch.

Proper football grounds. None of this corporate prawn sandwich bollocks

Great work Geebs

Ones for the Welsh
Ninian Park
Vetchfield
Vetch Field had a new stand built for when the got promoted to Div 1. It had a weird floodlight tower built into it.

Also can't remember Brightons old ground (not the athletics stadium they used to play in)
Goldstone Ground, close to Hove station. I saw Gary Birtles score his first goal for United there :) FA Cup third round replay on a freezing cold January night 1981.

I always felt losing Highbury was a sin and a sign of where football was headed. I get it, progress etc. But Highbury was a genuinely beautiful building. I think they kept the front facade at least.

Vetch Field had a new stand built for when the got promoted to Div 1. It had a weird floodlight tower built into it.

Goldstone Ground, close to Hove station. I saw Gary Birtles score his first goal for United there :) FA Cup third round replay on a freezing cold January night 1981.

I genuinely would have loved to have gone to a game in those days.
As crazy as that may sound considering how unsafe they were.

What will be on the Old Trafford site?
A Morrisons? A large Disney store?

What will be on the Old Trafford site?
A Morrisons? A large Disney store?
I can’t see United moving away from their current home, and the site isn’t big enough for much more than just the stadium.

In any case, big box retail is dead.

Bristol Rovers - Eastville. Stadium with a dog trqck

DTahmwPX4AAHqrI

the land is now home to IKEA

After moving temporarily to Bath FC's Twerton Park ground they ended up at Bristol Rugby Club's Memorial Ground:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe not this thread cause its a new stadium on the site of the old one but destroying old Wembley was sacrilage. Such a beautiful and legendary stadion, dont like the new one one bit. It looks like stands thrown on top of each other and soulless.

We used to be shite at The Dell. Always dreaded that fixture.
Got half a suntan there once, first game of the season, 2-2, 1987, the away end was packed like sardines, literally couldn't turn my body, one side facing the sun and the other in shade, looked seriously weird!

Maybe not this thread cause its a new stadium on the site of the old one but destroying old Wembley was sacrilage. Such a beautiful and legendary stadion, dont like the new one one bit. It looks like stands thrown on top of each other and soulless.

Germans did it well with the Olympicstadion in Berlin. Effectively renovated it rather than demolishing it. Pity they couldn't or weren't able to do it with Wembley

German did well with the Olympicstadion in Berlin. Effectively renovated it rather than demolishing it. Pity it couldn't or weren't able to do it with Wembley
Yeah, Berlin stadium looks neat, was there few years ago and didnt visit the stadium, bonkers.
Wonder the same about Wembley, why they didnt do it similary.

Yeah, Berlin stadium looks neat, was there few years ago and didnt visit the stadium, bonkers.
Wonder the same about Wembley, why they didnt do it similary.
Probably the original design made it difficult to do

The old Estádio da Luz. I remember my dad taking me there when I was 4 or 5 and the feeling I got when I left the entry tunnel to the stands, it was a derby against Sporting, it was indescribable. Around 120k people, it was really intimidating. When Benfica scored my father tells me I got so scared with the crowd going crazy I cried.

CasjBXJWEAAbGpf