Music Oasis or The Stone Roses - Which was better?

Being 18 - 20’s in that mid 90’s was a brilliant thing and Oasis and their first two albums captured that feeling and bottled it.

So in answer to the OP I’d have to say Oasis simply because their first two albums soundtracked some of my most treasured times and memories, and they soundtracked them bloody loudly too.
Was exactly that! Was the same age and this perfectly sums up what Oasis’ first 2 albums meant.
totally define a period in my life

Although I prefer the Roses' debut album to any Oasis one you also have to take into account the fact that live Ian Brown couldn't sing.

Guess it didn't matter if you were off your tits though.

Considering Liam lost the little ability he had to sing live years ago

Was exactly that! Was the same age and this perfectly sums up what Oasis’ first 2 albums meant.
totally define a period in my life

It’s not like oasis were my favourites, I was a dance music boy at heart, Orbital and Underworld etc but the amount of times you’d be out, more than likely wasted and singing an oasis track with a load of others in a pub or club ... such great memories.

Oasis were just one of those freakish things that just happened at the right time in the right way.

It was really great to be that age at that time with all the great music that was around. We had Britpop but also all the great things that spawned off acid house and rave. It was a cool and very hedonistic time.

Nah Liam was really good for years when they started up. Always preferred him to the smug brother.

Yeah but whatever talent they had clearly came from Noel and the few songs I liked were sung by Noel too .

I just hate Liam's fake hard man act and how he copies Ian Brown in everything he does .

I get people sometimes prefer commercial over quality but surely at some point most people will want something better than sing along rip offs of other acts .

At least the Charlatans moved on to doing something different and Noel too at times to be fair to him

Yeah but whatever talent they had clearly came from Noel and the few songs I liked were sung by Noel too .

I just hate Liam's fake hard man act and how he copies Ian Brown in everything he does .

I get people sometimes prefer commercial over quality but surely at some point most people will want something better than sing along rip offs of other acts .

At least the Charlatans moved on to doing something different and Noel too at times to be fair to him

Not sure about some of that. Liam very much was the propellor for how big Oasis became, his voice at the start was a beautiful thing in my humble opinion. His charisma also was something that Oasis were built on along with Noels great run of early songs. Neither could have done it without the other.

And I’m not sure commercial and quality are always mutually exclusive. Oasis’s first two albums are brilliant whatever way you look at them. They defined an area in many respects. Sure, it wasn’t the most demanding or thought provoking music but it did it’s job ruthlessly. Catchy pop Indy rock. Always space for that.

I was really lucky and saw them very early on before they got really massive and I swear there was a real buzz at them early gigs. Liam was incredible.

Some of their albums were just :drool:

Live they were unbelievable as well - My Glastonbury highlights always involve them (not that I can remember the details...)

Yes, Glasto 1994!!! Bloody one of the most amazing times of my life. Won’t derail a thread but Orbital are genuinely of my old favourites. Snivilisation has to be one of my most listened to albums. Still got my original cd, how it still plays I don’t know!

Me and my old Orbital mate dusted our festival boots off 3 years ago and caught them at the Bluedot festival ... amazing!

Anyway, back to Brown vs Gallagher

Yes, Glasto 1994!!! Bloody one of the most amazing times of my life. Won’t derail a thread but Orbital are genuinely of my favourites. Snivilisation has to be one of my most listened to album. Still got my original cd, how it still plays I don’t know!

Me and my old Orbital mate dusted our festival boots off 3 years ago and caught them at the Bluedot festival ... amazing!

Anyway, back to Brown vs Gallagher
Feck Brown and Gallagher, now I just want to listen to In Sides. What an album.

Feck Brown and Gallagher, now I just want to listen to In Sides. What an album.

Haha, I agree, I’ve just come in from the garden after a few cold beers in the sun and am just plopping some orbital on Spotify. It still sounds great.

I even like some Paul Hartnoll solo stuff.

Haha, I agree, I’ve just come in from the garden after a few cold beers in the sun and am just plopping some orbital on Spotify. It still sounds great.

I even like some Paul Hartnoll solo stuff.
Yeah, I've been inspired to do the same. Hope the neighbours are into this Haha

Never tried Paul Hartnoll's solo stuff but there's plenty of time right now. All this spare time has its upsides!

Yeah, I've been inspired to do the same. Hope the neighbours are into this Haha

Never tried Paul Hartnoll's solo stuff but there's plenty of time right now. All this spare time has its upsides!

The ideal condition is brill. A track on it called Nothing Else Matters is beautiful.

Both are pretty ordinary. When you consider the profound influence the likes of Cream, Pink Floyd and Avril Lavigne had in the music industry, the discussion is a bit meh.

Charlatans.

Joy Division or The Fall?
Score draw.

Roses were far better than Oasis but as others have said, The Chameleons pre Strange Times knock the shit out of them both.
As an aside, I saw The Stone Roses at a local club (pre fame) and were that bad they were booed off stage.

I hate Oasis and have to suppress the urge to think less of everyone who likes them, especially the huge group of 40 something men still belting out their songs at every opportunity.

Stone Roses were levels above them, and deserve a mention, if not to be directly included, when the best bands these islands have produced are discussed. Their stuff still sounds fresh to my ears after all these years while Oasis were boring me after a handful of listens.