Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

Thought this was amazing analysis from Thierry.
Not really. He thinks A 22 year old should compensate for players twice his stature. Like both his manager and himself have said, they know he has a lot to learn, and are working on it. Not being used when he makes the right moves is not one of them.

Not really. He thinks A 22 year old should compensate for players twice his stature. Like both his manager and himself have said, they know he has a lot to learn, and are working on it. Not being used when he makes the right moves is not one of them.

I agree with most of this. As he spends more time with the team he'll learn when the run is on and when to hang back and be the extra man. But he doesn't need to compensate for the deficiencies of the team around him to do well.

Thought it was a good performance, also outside of the goal. He took the fight to the defenders, almost forced a penalty, made the right decision for Grealish's goal and closed the game.

I agree with most of this. As he spends more time with the team he'll learn when the run is on and when to hang back and be the extra man. But he doesn't need to compensate for the deficiencies of the team around him to do well.

I don't really know why a lot of people almost have the certainty a player will "learn" how to completely change his game. Antony will learn how to use his right foot, Haaland will learn how to be the extra man, Mbappé will learn how to use his head, Verratti will learn how to shoot. A lot of player don't learn, actually most of them don't. They get better at what they're good at, add a couple of tools in their box, work a bit harder etc. but far it's more common to see players that don't evolve that much in the way the play over the years.

I have no idea about Haaland obviously, he might, or not but it's far from being a guarantee.

He's a crazy interview I'll give him that. Dude just loves playing I feel, which is always a good thing.

I don't really know why a lot of people almost have the certainty a player will "learn" how to completely change his game. Antony will learn how to use his right foot, Haaland will learn how to be the extra man, Mbappé will learn how to use his head, Verratti will learn how to shoot. A lot of player don't learn, actually most of them don't. They get better at what they're good at, add a couple of tools in their box, work a bit harder etc. but far it's more common to see players that don't evolve that much in the way the play over the years.

I have no idea about Haaland obviously, he might, or not but it's far from being a guarantee.

I've always wanted to make a thread on this, but it's rare that players add to their skillsets as they mature in their careers.

Regarding Haaland, what I meant was him simply understanding his teammates better and playing his natural game better in cohort. Not becoming Henry and playmaking like Kane outside the box.

It’s called development. Adding. Not retracting or changing. Doing so I think is mentality and drive. He has that.

His play for the second goal was odd, yes it did lead to a goal. But earlier in the season he'd have raced onto the end of that pass and slotted it past the keeper, but he seems less able to do that now, still getting some goals from his positioning and finishing ability, but seems to either be carrying a knock stopping him from running at top speed, losing confidence or pep is telling him not to run onto through balls the same way.

Was just odd to see him pull back for the pass rather than take it towards goal

Thought this was amazing analysis from Thierry.

This is so premature in Haaland's career to me. I see all these takes about how Haaland is just a goalscorer, harms build up etc and I just don't see it. The guy has technical ability in droves (his first touch always looks exceptional to me, for example), he's just so fast and strong that he rarely needs to showcase that technical ability. Dude can do anything imo, sucks he's on City.

I've always wanted to make a thread on this, but it's rare that players add to their skillsets as they mature in their careers.

Regarding Haaland, what I meant was him simply understanding his teammates better and playing his natural game better in cohort. Not becoming Henry and playmaking like Kane outside the box.

Is it though? Especially for someone as young as Haaland. Look at Rooney suddenly learning to score with his head when he was a good bit older than Haaland. Or how about Giggs’ transition from speedy winger to midfield schemer?

His play for the second goal was odd, yes it did lead to a goal. But earlier in the season he'd have raced onto the end of that pass and slotted it past the keeper, but he seems less able to do that now, still getting some goals from his positioning and finishing ability, but seems to either be carrying a knock stopping him from running at top speed, losing confidence or pep is telling him not to run onto through balls the same way.

I think what we are currently seeing is the product of him being drilled in training every day to get his his head up and influence play with his passing and not rely too much on only his pace and power. He did the right thing in that situation but I agree that it has been noticeable lately that he sometimes slows down and pick a pass when the chance to go full pedal is there. He will probably find a better balance soon. Both Aguero and all our direct wingers has had similiar trajectories under Pep

It’s called development. Adding. Not retracting or changing. Doing so I think is mentality and drive. He has that.

It's far more complicated than "mentality and drive". A lot of player have that, and yet they fail to develop completely new aspects in their game. And it's actually very comon for box strikers to remain box strikers throughout their carreer. Because on top of requiring a different kind of intuition on the pitch, it requires technical abilities they don't always have and never will.

Again, I have no idea if Haaland will or will not succeed but there's good chances he does not (or does).

Is it though? Especially for someone as young as Haaland. Look at Rooney suddenly learning to score with his head when he was a good bit older than Haaland. Or how about Giggs’ transition from speedy winger to midfield schemer?

I'm not sure that answering this sentence stating that "it's rare" by giving the exemple of Giggs or Rooney is adequate. Obviously, you have a long list of elite players who evolved and nobody can say at this point that Haaland will be out of it. But you have a far longer list of players that didn't and you already had at 23 or 24 a pretty clear picture of the kind of player they would remain.

I'm not sure that answering this sentence stating that "it's rare" by giving the exemple of Giggs or Rooney is adequate. Obviously, you have a long list of elite players who evolved and nobody can say at this point that Haaland will be out of it. But you have a far longer list of players that didn't.

Well I’m giving examples who are both from the club I support. I’m sure supporters of different clubs could come up with examples of their own. Add all those examples up…

Never seen a footballer score as many goals by this time of the season and be labelled as shite :lol:

He's one of the best strikers in the world, first touch could go into row Z but as long as he gets 40 a season I wouldn't give two fecks

Well I’m giving examples who are both from the club I support. I’m sure supporters of different clubs could come up with examples of their own. Add all those examples up…
Rashford this season heading wise too.

I actually thought this, chip keeper, blast it passed keeper, never the pss, brillant or lack of confidence, i do think brilliance.

Matched Aguero's best ever PL tally today. Still 15 games to go.

It's far more complicated than "mentality and drive". A lot of player have that, and yet they fail to develop completely new aspects in their game. And it's actually very comon for box strikers to remain box strikers throughout their carreer. Because on top of requiring a different kind of intuition on the pitch, it requires technical abilities they don't always have and never will.

Again, I have no idea if Haaland will or will not succeed but there's good chances he does not (or does).
Mate. All we know is his scoring record and both him and his managers comments. It’s not like he is Garnacho, is it? He just netted his 26 goal of the season. All this if and buts is just silly.

Haaland isn't a typical box striker, he's rapid and has great timing with his runs, perfect for getting on the end of through balls, playing on the counter, as well as being deadly in the box, I don't think he's likely to ever develop his game to be what pep wants in a number 9, but he's already more than succeeded in his career

This is so premature in Haaland's career to me. I see all these takes about how Haaland is just a goalscorer, harms build up etc and I just don't see it. The guy has technical ability in droves (his first touch always looks exceptional to me, for example), he's just so fast and strong that he rarely needs to showcase that technical ability. Dude can do anything imo, sucks he's on City.

This is laughable, ‘technical ability in droves’ his touch and passing can be poor and his dribbling is even worse, I can think of a dozen premier league number 9’s with better technique, he’s a great goal scorer and in turn a great player but he’s ability on the ball isn’t good let alone great.

It’s mad that 7’8” Haaland is absolutely useless with his head. When you look at his pace his vertical reach must be about 16 foot. Imagine him flying into the box with pace trying to get on the end of a header. He’d be unstoppable.

This is laughable, ‘technical ability in droves’ his touch and passing can be poor and his dribbling is even worse, I can think of a dozen premier league number 9’s with better technique, he’s a great goal scorer and in turn a great player but he’s ability on the ball isn’t good let alone great.

Imagine playing for one of the best teams in the world, scoring more goals than anyone in the history of the Premier League, setting CL scoring records, and you get told that you are not good on the ball. Good on the ball compared to who? Neymar?

Because we saw it happen with a few players and that's what training is for. Harry Kane did not just wake up an elite scorer cum playmaker, I am sure some coach pointed it out to him how teams always focus on him leaving others unmarked and if he just raised his head he could easily play them in. He then practices it on the ground and executes now it plants doubt in defences and he is scoring goals again.

Imagine playing for one of the best teams in the world, scoring more goals than anyone in the history of the Premier League, setting CL scoring records, and you get told that you are not good on the ball. Good on the ball compared to who? Neymar?
The reason why Haaland is just a 'meh' player for me is because his saves ratio is just pathetic. Just look at De Gea! Single-handedly (ha!) won us points with vital saves.

Show me at least one great save Haaland made all season. I dare you!

The reason why Haaland is just a 'meh' player for me is because his saves ratio is just pathetic. Just look at De Gea! Single-handedly (ha!) won us points with vital saves.

Show me at least one great save Haaland made all season. I dare you!

Easy!

Here Haaland takes the defender out as he is about to send Brighton on the break, essentially preventing a goal against.

Compared to most top players in the league Rashford Kane Salah Jesus heck even Toney has better technique. He doesn’t make his living off having great technique he’s a better player than all those players I mentioned currently but that’s down to his athleticism, movement and finishing(shooting).